Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,769 members, 7,802,354 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Beware Of These Banned Food Products - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Beware Of These Banned Food Products (35718 Views)

Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG / Banned Drugs In Nigerian Market (procold!) / Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of These Banned Food Products by segzytemi(m): 8:59am On Sep 14, 2013
A list of food products and ingredients banned in several places around the world was released recently. Surprisingly, many items on the list are still available in Nigeria.

It is not unexpected that a host of the banned ingredients are disguised and passed off as “safe” and “healthy”. Here are tips for avoiding the offending ingredients.

Artificial food colourings – Today, many companies are removing artificial colours from their products, so a little research should help you find safe alternatives. Many common snack foods contain Yellow #5 in their ingredient list, but it’s not the only artificial food colour that is banned in other countries. Blue #1, Blue #2 and Red #40 may also cause health problems.

Brominated vegetable oil Banned in over 100 countries world-wide because it contains toxic bromine, brominated vegetable oil is used in many brands of beverage drinks to prevent the flavouring from separating and floating to the surface.

Bromated flour
In Nigera, many kinds of bread (notably the agege variety) are still made from bromate flour, which is banned in Europe, Canada and China, and linked to kidney damage, cancer and nervous system damage.

BHT and BHA
Japan, the United Kingdom and other European countries have banned these preservatives because they have been shown to cause cancer in rats. To avoid BHT and BHA, best option is purchasing food that is fresh and natural.

Arsenic
Though a known poison, arsenic was used in some chicken feed to make the meat appear fresher. Chickens raised for meat are no longer given feed additives containing arsenic, but that didn’t stop the European Union from putting a ban on it. If you eat poultry, particularly the frozen variety, make sure you know where it is coming from and how it is raised.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/beware-of-these-banned-food-products/#sthash.u95Rgjqn.dpuf

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Michaeljude212: 9:12am On Sep 14, 2013
Thank you very much for the information, i think people that eat fried chicken that is sold along the road will be carefull.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Michaeljude212: 9:25am On Sep 14, 2013
Thank you very much for the information i think those that buy fried chicken sold along the road will be carefull.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by marvelling(m): 9:59am On Sep 14, 2013
segzytemi:
A list of food products and ingredients banned in several places around the world was released recently. Surprisingly, many items on the list are still available in Nigeria.
It is not unexpected that a host of the banned ingredients are disguised and passed off as “safe” and “healthy”. Here are tips for avoiding the offending ingredients.
Artificial food colourings – Today, many companies are removing artificial colours from their products, so a little research should help you find safe alternatives. Many common snack foods contain Yellow #5 in their ingredient list, but it’s not the only artificial food colour that is banned in other countries. Blue #1, Blue #2 and Red #40 may also cause health problems.
Brominated vegetable oil Banned in over 100 countries world-wide because it contains toxic bromine, brominated vegetable oil is used in many brands of beverage drinks to prevent the flavouring from separating and floating to the surface.
Bromated flour
In Nigera, many kinds of bread (notably the agege variety) are still made from bromate flour, which is banned in Europe, Canada and China, and linked to kidney damage, cancer and nervous system damage.
BHT and BHA
Japan, the United Kingdom and other European countries have banned these preservatives because they have been shown to cause cancer in rats. To avoid BHT and BHA, best option is purchasing food that is fresh and natural.
Arsenic
Though a known poison, arsenic was used in some chicken feed to make the meat appear fresher. Chickens raised for meat are no longer given feed additives containing arsenic, but that didn’t stop the European Union from putting a ban on it. If you eat poultry, particularly the frozen variety, make sure you know where it is coming from and how it is raised.

Indomie contains BHT & BHA smh for nigeria. They are just killing us and nafdac is doing nothing.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by 80million1: 10:18am On Sep 14, 2013
*speechless*
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by ogunrhotimi: 10:19am On Sep 14, 2013
GO̶̶̷̲̥̩̥̅̊͡D bless Fø̲̣̣я̅ information, its important T̶̲̥̅̊✽. W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ microbiologist

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Lilaex: 10:23am On Sep 14, 2013
Poison no they kill black man u never ear Ram!!?

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Osasemma(f): 10:23am On Sep 14, 2013
Only God will save us. We commit our health in thy hands o lord.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 14, 2013
HMmmmmmmm! Lemme go tell the god_of_food about this angry
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by baynix(m): 10:24am On Sep 14, 2013
[size=16]Indomie contains BHT and BHA?? undecided Well am still going to consume 2 Hungry Man Size with 1 Egg this morning!! cheesy [/size]

13 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by AreaFada2: 10:26am On Sep 14, 2013
Most of them are hidden, not in the label.
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by ademine: 10:27am On Sep 14, 2013
sorry if i may ask, what is BHT & BHA?

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by fitzmayowa: 10:28am On Sep 14, 2013
I hope say they never ban my precious GARRI ooo grin

22 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 14, 2013
Yet thousands of people used Indomie and Tin Tomato dz morning.
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by skyface00(m): 10:28am On Sep 14, 2013
Its tru indomie contain BHA and BHA but its doesn't mean u should not eat it at all,jst don't make it ur best food that u can't do without eaten in a day....
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 14, 2013
Ignorance kills. Its a pity that when Nigerian Organizations are regulating things Nigerians are so carried away with 'Corruption anthem that they Neglect them or fail to listen. To them 'only International Organizations know what's right' and when the international Organizations make their own regulations, they blame Nigerian Organizations for not doing the same (which they have done several times).

Even if I don't know any, I know Bromate is banned in Nigeria and I'm aware of the manner Nafdac shouted it and warned the citizens against it. They still raid open markets infact...but guess what? Greedy Nigerians will never obey any rules (even if its for their own good!).

Make una dey kill una selves with banned products.....Na una sabi

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Caracta(f): 10:28am On Sep 14, 2013
I wonder why people eat bread. Very boring food or whatever!

As for the artificial colouring, very green-coloured fried rice comes to mind.

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by BedLam: 10:29am On Sep 14, 2013
Osasemma: Only God will save us. We commit our health in thy hands o lord.
Ódé!

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by BedLam: 10:33am On Sep 14, 2013
Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) , also
known as butylhydroxytoluene , is a
lipophilic organic compound, chemically a
derivative of phenol , that is useful for its
antioxidant properties. European and U.S.
regulations allow small percentages to be
used as a food additive . While there may
be some dispute in BHT's use in the human
diet, the chemical is widely used in industry
wherever oxidation in fluids (e.g. fuel, oil)
and other materials must be treated, and
free radicals must be kept in check.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by trolling(m): 10:33am On Sep 14, 2013
marvelling:

Indomie contains BHT & BHA smh for nigeria. They are just killing us and nafdac is doing nothing.
it contains msg too, its all in the plan to depopulate the world thru wars,diseases,gmo foods, toxic vaccines,manufactured pandemics etc.....you wonder why Christ said if they eat any poisonous thing,it wont harm "them",that lets you know that He knew beforehand that our foods will be poisoned

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Lagusta(m): 10:36am On Sep 14, 2013
marvelling:

I thought indomie contains monosodium glutamate Let me go and. Check.....
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Sageez(m): 10:37am On Sep 14, 2013
am on huger strik cuz of ASUU, u guyz shuld join me

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by rusher14: 10:40am On Sep 14, 2013
baynix: [size=16]Indomie contains BHT and BHA?? undecided Well am still going to consume 2 Hungry Man Size with 1 Egg this morning!! cheesy [/size]
Abeg, Don't make me laugh!!!

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by zubino(m): 10:41am On Sep 14, 2013
@ OP tanks for dis lovely post. Please, I will like to be informed if Tin Tomatoes are also inclusive, because I really eat it like no man biz through my stew. Na waooo , I guess I have learn to use fresh tomatoes to make stew pending when I will bring bone of my bones to take over. God help us, the rate people suffer from kidney, liver related problems is alarming.
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 14, 2013
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by roland2rule(m): 10:43am On Sep 14, 2013
U c one food to eat,u are complaining...go to other places where pple live on anything eat able.....

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by alienware(m): 10:44am On Sep 14, 2013
Na people were dey eat agege bread na ! Me don stop like ten years ago.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by jhydebaba(m): 10:44am On Sep 14, 2013
Yet one mumu girl go dey order for indomie with chicken thinking say her guy na maga cheesy

Wetin man wan do again sef for this life Donts are over a million, how can one keep up with all these

Abeg, make I enjoy my life, when death comes knocking, I won't regret rather than keeping all the donts religiously and get knocked down by a drunk's car tongue

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by SlyIg(f): 10:45am On Sep 14, 2013
Osasemma: Only God will save us. We commit our health in thy hands o lord.
Corrrrreeeeecccccttttt.....
That's d spirit joor...

1 Like

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by roland2rule(m): 10:45am On Sep 14, 2013
rusher14:

Abeg, Don't make me laugh!!!

Abl na, death wey go kill person,no b today, na tomorrow...tomorrow no dey finish for earth oooooo...they chop am jo my brother
Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 14, 2013
ogunrhotimi: GO̶̶̷̲̥̩̥̅̊͡D bless Fø̲̣̣я̅ information, its important T̶̲̥̅̊✽. W̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ microbiologist
So you are a microbiologist and this is news to you?
So much for being a graduate. And you too go dey claim unemployment oo?

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of These Banned Food Products by huseinhad(m): 10:47am On Sep 14, 2013
who is realy this enemy inguised that wants to wipe out the entire human race. today we will provide with something to take, tommorrow the story will change to "things to avoid".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Israel Shuts Schools As Pupils & Teachers Contract COVID-19 After Reopening / "My Experience In The Surgical Theater" - 400 Level Physiotherapy Student Of BUK / Tips To Get Rid Of Yellow Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.