Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59495 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 11:08am On Sep 14, 2013
Yes it this question has always troubled my mind. Eventhough i applied for chemical engineering, i'm still curious to know the apparent differences between the duo. I know they are so much related but i wana know your views guys. Secondly, i also want to know which one amongst the two has better job prospects after school with refernce to the Nigerian labour market. *Nagode*
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Jxtmayor(m): 11:16am On Sep 14, 2013
Two different field entirely.. Pet engine deals wit oil nd gas sector while chem engine deals wt chemical. The onli tin common to both is dat they ar both taught refinin process.. Chem engine is very broad with evry tin between. In terms of job, chem engine wins it..

5 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 11:33am On Sep 14, 2013
When it comes to getting jobs, I'll advice you anyday to go for chemical engineering... I agree that petroleum departments in oil companies pay the highest but at d end of d day at least half of the staff workin in these petroleum departments studied Mech, chemical or geology.. Petroleum engineering is highly restricted, the only place you can fully use your degree is in 'some areas' of the oil industry, whereas chem, Mech and Elect can work almost anywhere ... I'm a Petroleum Engineering graduate so I know what I'm saying. If I could go back in time I'll have studied Mechanical

9 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by yame014: 11:43am On Sep 14, 2013
Follow the advice of primus and mayor...chemical engineering is very wide...you can work in any process industry unlike petroleum that is restricted to oil n gas sector alone...
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 11:28am On Sep 15, 2013
thank you guys. am tremendously gaining from your contributions.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 11:32am On Sep 15, 2013
primus_maximus: When it comes to getting jobs, I'll advice you anyday to go for chemical engineering... I agree that petroleum departments in oil companies pay the highest but at d end of d day at least half of the staff workin in these petroleum departments studied Mech, chemical or geology.. Petroleum engineering is highly restricted, the only place you can fully use your degree is in 'some areas' of the oil industry, whereas chem, Mech and Elect can work almost anywhere ... I'm a Petroleum Engineering graduate so I know what I'm saying. If I could go back in time I'll have studied Mechanical
wow, tanx alot. so where do u work wit ur pet engr degree presently?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 3:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
Capableben: wow, tanx alot. so where do u work wit ur pet engr degree presently?
I was very very fortunate to get an oil and gas company where I'm currently a process engineer, which is even a Chemical Engineering department to begin with.. Got offers from some other companies but taking them would have meant kissing goodbye to my Petroleum degree

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by greatdavid1: 5:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
But out of all the engineering departments,which one is the best in terms of job prospect in nigeria labour market...is it chemical,mechanical,electrical,petrochemical or what?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 6:35pm On Sep 15, 2013
great.david:
But out of all the engineering departments,which one is the best in terms of job prospect in nigeria labour market...is it chemical,mechanical,electrical,petrochemical or what?
In my opinion... In terms of job prospect
1st- Electrical
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Computer
5th- Met & Mats
6th- Civil
7th- Systems/Petroleum
But when it comes to salary range that list rearranges itself very quickly
1st- Petroleum
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Electrical
5th- Systems
6th- Computer
7th- Civil/ Met n Mats
So you have to ask yourself some serious questions b4 making your decision. Keep in mind that only 1-2 petroleum Engrs at most out of 10 from a Nigerian university will make it into the oil and gas industry. Also keep in mind that there are more mechanical engrs in the oil and gas industry than any other engineering department.
(NOTE: IN MY OPINION)

11 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by MrCalculus(m): 10:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
wat about petrochemical engineering and industial mathematics??
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 11:31pm On Sep 15, 2013
Mr Calculus: wat about petrochemical engineering and industial mathematics??
Petrochemical engineering is about the same thing as petroleum engineering and falls in the same category as petroleum engineering in terms of job prospects and salary range.... Industrial Mathematics does not fall under Engineering and as such can't be used to apply for engineering Jobs
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by MrCalculus(m): 12:28am On Sep 16, 2013
primus_maximus:
Petrochemical engineering is about the same thing as petroleum engineering and falls in the same category as petroleum engineering in terms of job prospects and salary range.... Industrial Mathematics does not fall under Engineering and as such can't be used to apply for engineering Jobs
den wat can industrial mathematics b use for??
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 1:53pm On Sep 16, 2013
front page material....... i getting so elated by ur invaluable contributions. thanx all
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 2:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mr Calculus: den wat can industrial mathematics b use for??
I really can't say. It's not a course I'll advice anyone to study. Anyway, as long as a graduate from Industrial Mathematics gets a second class upper he should still be able to get a decent Job (Might be in an unrelated field though)
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Richiez(m): 2:50pm On Sep 16, 2013
Capableben: front page material....... i getting so elated by ur invaluable contributions. thanx all
nice thread....we'll see to that
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
Chemical Engineering has wider prospects..
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 11:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
i just pray fervently that they(futy) give me the chem engr i applied for. got 197 this years jamb. reading so hard for post ume. ASUU obstructing
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by kika41(m): 11:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
Any,I think if u hav a 1st class in petroleum engr,u wuldnt struggle for. Job..petRoleum engineering ocupies 60% oof the oil and gas industry
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 9:03am On Sep 17, 2013
kika41: Any,I think if u hav a 1st class in petroleum engr,u wuldnt struggle for. Job..petRoleum engineering ocupies 60% of the oil and gas industry
lol.... 1stly Petroleum Engineering Jobs(reservoir, drilling, production, core analysis and well logging) take up about 40-50 percent of the oil industry but these jobs are not for petroleum engineers alone, they share this Jobs with departments like Mechanical, chemical, geology, geophysics and even electrical in the case of well logging for example... also the oil industry recycle staff a lot as no one wants to leave that's why its extremely difficult to get in.. 2ndly 1st class in petroleum doesn't guarantee anything, the competition is just toooo stiff.. Oil companies value experience way more than 1st class/Masters. I know too many 1st class petroleum graduates working in accounting firms or even still searching for Jobs, If not for God I'll have ended up in an accounting firm too, was to even resume in one earlier this month... funny thing is there are more 2.1 graduates than 1st class in the oil industry

3 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by greatdavid1: 9:37am On Sep 17, 2013
Please is pharmaceutical engineering part of all the area of specializations available in chemical engineering

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by ProfChris10(m): 9:55am On Sep 17, 2013
great.david:
Please is pharmaceutical engineering part of all the area of specializations available in chemical engineering
It's a branch under chemical engineering.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:26am On Sep 17, 2013
Chemical Engineering is about chemicals. Petroleum Engineering is about oil & gas. Both teach refining process.
Last Bullet:
In Nigeria, petroleum engineering has the higher job prospect. In developed parts of the word chemical engineering has the higher job prospect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 17, 2013
[size=30pt]"Those days when we bin dey study Petroleum Engineering, we bin dey happy say as we gradj we go enter oil company...my brother, as we gradj, even groundnut oil company, we no see...na that time we come discover our talent" - Okey Bakassi[/size]

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by penzino(m): 11:31am On Sep 17, 2013
Bro, its good u applied for chemical engineering. Chemical engineering is like a parent course where petroleum, biomedical, reservoir, environmental and genetic engineering all fall under... Study ur chemical engineering and then in ur 2nd degree u could just choose a field under the entire chemical engineering... All the best, I studied chemical engine but I wan do petroleum econs for masters. All za best bro.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Chiscomax(m): 11:32am On Sep 17, 2013
never knew mechanical engineering was that vast ... i thank God for that and as for you who posted this;

Those days when we bin dey study Petroleum Engineering, we bin dey happy say as we gradj we go enter oil company...my brother, as we gradj, even groundnut oil company, we no see...na that time we come discover our talent" - Okey Bakassi

you are very funny bob grin
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by akereconfi: 11:33am On Sep 17, 2013
Thank God o...my sis was admitted for Chemical Engineering in Brescia Uni Kentucky instead of the Aeronautics she asked for.....
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Oguieke(m): 11:34am On Sep 17, 2013
[quote
author=primus_maximus]When it comes to getting jobs, I'll advice you
anyday to go for chemical engineering... I agree that petroleum
departments in oil companies pay the highest but at d end of d day at
least half of the staff workin in these petroleum departments studied
Mech, chemical or geology.. Petroleum engineering is highly restricted,
the only place you can fully use your degree is in 'some areas' of the
oil industry, whereas chem, Mech and Elect can work almost anywhere ...
I'm a Petroleum Engineering graduate so I know what I'm saying. If I
could go back in time I'll have studied Mechanical[/quote] ur advice is great i like it. but as for engineering courses:CIVIL ENGINEERING IS D BEST IN D NIGERIAN JOB MARKET. am a civil/structural engineer, i know what am saying.

5 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2013
Nigerian Students,hope U all are enjoying the Strike...I send U greetings from our dear presido
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 17, 2013
i studied mechanical engineering, i'm working in a petroleum company and i'm doing the job of a chemical engineer. i sometimes work with electrical and mechanical engineers, while support the ministry of civil engineers with money.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 17, 2013
Nice thread.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by ugees(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2013
Jxt_mayor: Two different field entirely.. Pet engine deals wit oil nd gas sector while chem engine deals wt chemical. The onli tin common to both is dat they ar both taught refinin process.. Chem engine is very broad with evry tin between. In terms of job, chem engine wins it..
Boyo, chemical engineering does not deal with chemicals, but processes...

In Nigeria, where paper certificates matter, chemical should cut it. this is the much touted theory anyway. Even though there are very limited avenues to practice the trade. when you get into the oil industry, if that is your aim, you discover that in there, it's a whole new ball game. You will have to keep your degree aside and learn anew...

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Lilimax(f): 11:50am On Sep 17, 2013
oluafolabi: Chemical Engineering has wider prospects..
Correct.

@ OP, I will advice you to go for Chemical Engineering which is wider and with prospects.

Quite a number of them are being employed yearly in my orgnisation smiley.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can You Remember How You Learnt The First 20 Elements? / Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius / A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.