Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59500 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
ojtopsy: I'm a civil structural engineer and i can tell u that in oil servicing co. we hold the ace. no one gets job easily than us. But mech. is a great course sha cos they come next. i use to envy chemical and elect course until we graduated. Come see fk up for em especially chemical guys, it was a sorry tale. when the are taking 15 -20 civil eng. they'll manage to employ 2 chem. guys. Thats how it is in the oil servicing side but for the IOC proper anyone with a foreign MSc is their choice. not minding your first degree.

Summarry : be prepared to go for your MSc b4 NYSC if you are seriuos about working for the IOC( chevron,Exxon etc)

funny guy!

2 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:42pm On Sep 17, 2013
Empero1: Chemical engineering has better prospective than petroleum engineering . However , generally oil company work is overrated , 65% of the workforce in this sector are living from hand to mouth like every other less attractive industry out there .

I agree with you, politics and indigenization has murdered the sector though some people are still living on past glory and false hopes
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by sugardaddy1(m): 4:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
Boladearo: Hmmmmm,
I love maths, and am gud in it, ppl advise me not to go for industrial maths, pure maths, and applied maths. My parents want me to go for Medicine and am nt dat gud in biology. Right nw i don't know wat to do. But one of my mentors advise me to go for computer science. Wat is ur opinion, considerin d lack of employement in the country

Go for any of the Engineering courses dude. Maths is a single honour which may limit your chances of employment post-graduation. Computer Science on the other hand is becoming saturated with a lot of the juicy jobs going to the Indians and Chinese on the global scene. On the local scene, the computing field has become congested as you now see people with History, English, Political Science or some other unrrelated backgrounds posessing IT certifications and competing ( and even getting the IT jobs sometimes) before IT graduates.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
cheapgadgets6: I rili want to knw d functions of an electrical engr in d oil n gas sector or au can an electrical engr function in ds sector? Are there any useful certifications or skills dt can help a fresh electrical engr in d sector?

if you are lucky to get the job, the company will train you and absorb expenses for the certification, about what they do, in my opinion, they do everything, just name it, instrumentation, power, communication, wire-line (MWD) (though they share with mech, pet and chem)
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:51pm On Sep 17, 2013
Lilimax:
I studied Industrial Chemistry as 1st Degree. My organistaion employs both Chemical Engineers and Chemists the same way as our jobs are related. What diffentiates us from Chemical Engineers is the issue of machines and material balancing... smiley

who is your boss? chemical or ICH?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
zeefa: I studied chemical engineering and for the past 9yrs, av bn working as a quality control engineer both in nigeria and the middle east, qatar, abudhabi and oman(which is purely mechanical)
Well, as a chemical engineer, I think you are flexible especially when you are opportune to get an oil gas job.

For me, I still prefer Mechanical Engineering.

quality control engineering isnt a mechanical thing, its even for both process (chemical) and mechanical, imagine if you have a chem. degree and have 3 NDT methods plus three API certifications, what does that make you? QAQC

mechanical plus NACE plus NDT plus API? QAQC, infact NACE can as well go for chemical too, bro, you are who you trained and supposed to be.
with 9yrs experience, do an MBa and get ready to be a manager.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 5:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
Ibigo:

guy calm down you are an Engineering student that's why you don't know that physics has many branches...have you heard of Geo-physics in your life? They even stand a better chance in the Oil & Gas industry than Chemical & petroleum Engineers

i doubt if Geo physics will come off as a sub set of physics, geo is earth science while the other physics is natural science, well, the geo guy is better off doing seismic, MWD, res map analysis et al while the natural science guy, dunno? teaching i guess.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lillies: 5:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
W

2 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 5:05pm On Sep 17, 2013
iHustle: 1. Chem Engg is broad. So It gives you more options if you want to go for a masters degree.

2. Many topics covered under Chem Engg are directly applicable in oil and gas exploration and production. E.g material balance, fluid mechanics, phase behaviour, process analysis, separation processes.

3. Studying chem engg for BSc helps you to perform very well if you study petroleum Engg for MSc.

4. The oil and gas industry is very interdisciplinary. I.e it draws from various disciplines including chem engg, mech engg, electrical engg, geology, mathematics, petroleum engg, civil engg, physics, chemistry, and even biology.

5. From my observation and experience, those who study chem or mech engg for BSc and then study petroleum engg for MSc are the real masters of the game.

excellent!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 5:07pm On Sep 17, 2013
another1234: u ar rite bro petroleum engnr ocupies 60% in oil company.i represent petroleum engr.newly admited in uniben

this can only come from a student however, reality remains what it is
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Desxter: 5:08pm On Sep 17, 2013
Dunno sha _ bt am currntli servin_ nd grad wit 2.1,mechanical engineering...hw do I apply 4jobs _ as per wat du I nid tu du tu get a befittin job
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 5:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
lillies:

Lilimax, not just machines and material balancing so so so many things my dear, you didn't mention plant DESIGN, yes design is something that keeps the chemical engineer ahead of any other engineering discipline check out Richardson n Coulson 4th edition.
an industrial chemist would not understand the underlying principles of 'transport phenomena', what about chemical reaction engineering, etc
industrial chemistry n chemical engineering are not even in the same faculty, donot make it look like just two things separate them.
I advice you pick up any book on process control, you will see for yourself the HUGE difference between chemical eng. and industrial chemistry.

P.S: while flipping through the pages of any process control text, don't freight, its not mathematics, its called Chemical Process Dynamics and Control!!!

both of them are no mates! every industrial chemist has a chemical boss, not by choice but every smart HRO must ensure that, so why take pride in being the subordinate anyways?
the ICH guy does not even get to the position of analytical/process coordinator,process manager etc (except politically or mago mago ofcourse) the best he can get is lab supervisor.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by ivytechgurl: 6:05pm On Sep 17, 2013
Why hasn't anyone mentioned ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING --- THAT IS THE FUTURE GUYS..MAKING WAVES IN THE UK RIGHT NOW --WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. Even BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING is fast growing now and it's demand is set to increase even more in the coming years.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by fydence: 6:13pm On Sep 17, 2013
zeefa: I studied chemical engineering and for the past 9yrs, av bn working as a quality control engineer both in nigeria and the middle east, qatar, abudhabi and oman(which is purely mechanical)
Well, as a chemical engineer, I think you are flexible especially when you are opportune to get an oil gas job.

For me, I still prefer Mechanical Engineering.

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by yame014: 6:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
ivytechgurl: Why hasn't anyone mentioned ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING --- THAT IS THE FUTURE GUYS..MAKING WAVES IN THE UK RIGHT NOW --WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. Even BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING is fast growing now and it's demand is set to increase even more in the coming years.

Superb! a very good observation u have there..
Loss prevention and plant safety is also a versatile branch of chemical engineering...
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
mikky.mi:
pls, what about me that studied physics. Any hope 4 me in d oil and gas sector.
Dem plenty die. I know 3 guys with pure physics degree working in the sector, 2 with chevron (reservoir evaluation) and one with Mobil unlimited (petrophysics).
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Apologies first. Someone asked about prospects for Electrical/Electronic Engineering in the O&G field. Unfortunately, I cannot refer back to quote him. If you want to join the E&P industry, the primary goal is for you to start out making a good grade first. I left Ife with honors in Elec/ELec engineering, joined a multinational service firm and worked my way up. Today, I and a few of my Elect/Elec classmates are working as Drilling or Consultant Drilling Engineers. Some companies refer to DEs as Well Engineers. The pay of course is awesome, ranging from $700 to Over $2500 daily depending on experience, knowledge, hardwork and luck.

If you happen to be lucky enough to secure a job, in the industry, regardless of your first degree (as long as it's science or Engineering related), it is more than likely that you'll be trained and retrained, even if you have a second degree.

I'll advice that the pay should not be your end goal for now, that will surely come with time. All you need to focus on is making good grades out of school and the sky will probably be your starting point.

For the person who asked about Environmental Engineering, you also stand a good chance. I used to have a colleague who worked in the wireline logging section of the Multinational I worked for. She had an MSc. in Env. Engrg from s UK Uni and got the job.

Once again, it's good results first if you have no godfather who'll spoon-feed you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:34pm On Sep 17, 2013
I forgot to commend the guy who said you could attend a MUD school abroad and start earning good pay from the start. Based on my experience, he is absolutely right. I'd rather a young Nigerian graduate leaves school with a good result, then proceed to take professional courses in the O&G industry and then starts working as an entry level Engineer. The industry is currently booming and may remain so for some time to come.

Professional courses are much cheaper and less time consuming when compared to a full time MSc. I've seen lots of Mud Engineers who are working as Reservoir Engineers, Petroleum Engineers and Drilling Engineers in the industry. By the way, Mud Engineering is also lucrative. Highly experience Mud Engineers also earn in excess of $2k per day.

You can start out small and take part-time courses in Pet. Engr'g and other supposedly better paying areas of specialization in the industry.

2 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 8:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
9ijaMan: I forgot to commend the guy who said you could attend a MUD school abroad and start earning good pay from the start. Based on my experience, he is absolutely right. I'd rather a young Nigerian graduate leaves school with a good result, then proceed to take professional courses in the O&G industry and then starts working as an entry level Engineer. The industry is currently booming and may remain so for some time to come.

Professional courses are much cheaper and less time consuming when compared to a full time MSc. I've seen lots of Mud Engineers who are working as Reservoir Engineers, Petroleum Engineers and Drilling Engineers in the industry. By the way, Mud Engineering is also lucrative. Highly experience Mud Engineers also earn in excess of $2k per day.

You can start out small and take part-time courses in Pet. Engr'g and other supposedly better paying areas of specialization in the industry.

we dont have self trained mud engineers in Nigeria yet we have a lot of chem. graduates looking for jobs, very ironic.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9izi(m): 8:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
Pls tel me d chances industrial chem has in d oil industries nd in d labour market at large
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Emmafrancis: 8:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
Very interesting topic. What about marine engineering(bsc). Pls enlighten me
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by MrCalculus(m): 9:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
whats d difference between petrochemical and petroleum engineering..
and whats d difference between petrochemical and chemical engineering??

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by MrCalculus(m): 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2013
9izi: Pls tel me d chances industrial chem has in d oil industries nd in d labour market at large
plz u guys should answer dis and also d chances of industrial mathematics
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by micfoley: 9:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
Really great contributions on this thread. I have a lot of friends who read pet or chem engineering so I can relate to some stuff here. What really rankles me is how in a countryt that crude oil accts for over 80% of its earnings, there are so many jobless petroleum/ chemical/ other engineers. Even a good number of those employed work in banks or other unrelated businesses. I just pray things improve now that Dangote and few others appear serious abt setting up huge refineries.

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 9:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
jp philips:

we dont have self trained mud engineers in Nigeria yet we have a lot of chem. graduates looking for jobs, very ironic.
As with just about every specialty in the O&G industry, there's barely any self trained professional. I'm not really aware that there are Mud Engineering degrees, however there are numerous mud schools where certification can be done. In fact there's supposed to be a Mud School at PTI, Efurun.

I'm not a Chemical Engineering degree holder, however I doubt if any of the Unis in Nigeria has a mud school attached to it's chemical engineering department.

Interestingly though, any smart Uni in Nigeria can actually set up a mud school which can be a subset of either the Chemical and/or Petroleum Engineering department. The respective department can at least make some decent profit by engaging in drilling fluids training courses. Afterall. it'll cost almost 10K USD (excluding tranport fare) to attend a month long drilling fluids training session in the US.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 9:28pm On Sep 17, 2013
mic foley: Really great contributions on this thread. I have a lot of friends who read pet or chem engineering so I can relate to some stuff here. What really rankles me is how in a countryt hat crude oil accts for over 80% of its earnings, there are so many jobless petroleum/ chemical/ other engineers. Even a good number of those employed work in banks or other unrelated businesses. I just pray things improve now that Dangote and few others appear serious abt setting up huge refineries.

The O&G industry is open to virtually all engineering fields (at least the ones available in Nigeria). As big as you may assume the industry is, it'll be a miracle if up to 1000 applicants are employed annually in the O&G industry in Nigeria. Notice that I said "applicants". Most of these applicants would likely be Engineers. If 60% (or 600) of these happen to be engineers, then you can do the maths and imagine the rest. Some large schools in Nigeria turn out more than 300 engineers annually. I graduated along with almost 100 other Elec/Elec classmates about 15 years ago. There'll be likely more graduating from the same class today.

The reason you have lots of Engineers working in the banking sector is quite simple. Most bank employment screening tests are maths based. The average engineering graduate will more than likely score higher than his counterparts in the economics/accounting field. Sincewe typically put square pegs in round holes in Nigeria, it is only natural for you to find Engineers working as bankers. Afterall na money dem dey count for bank... wink wink!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by kenneyyice(m): 9:33pm On Sep 17, 2013
Tankz alot 4 dis tread i am in serious confusion right nw cos i got admitted in2 UNIBEN 2 study PETROLEUM ENGINEERING and would also b admitted in2 UNIZIK to study CHEMICAL ENGINEERING tru pre science. Pls which one should is reject and accept nw.. Jugdeing frm job opportunites and other aspects.....
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 9:40pm On Sep 17, 2013
kenneyyice: Tankz alot 4 dis tread i am in serious confusion right nw cos i got admitted in2 UNIBEN 2 study PETROLEUM ENGINEERING and would also b admitted in2 UNIZIK to study CHEMICAL ENGINEERING tru pre science. Pls which one should is reject and accept nw.. Jugdeing frm job opportunites and other aspects.....

Are both schools taking you on a pre-degree basis...? If the answer is Yes, I'd go to UniBen. If UniBen is offering you to start at 100 level, again UniBen is the way to go. Chemical Engineering may have a wider scope, it's not a guaranty that you'll get a job faster. In your case the name of the school matters. My limited knowledge of both schools is assuming that UniBen is rated higher. It's also likely ther are more Uniben grads working in the O&G industry in Nigeria when compared to UniZik. Having someone who graduated from from your former school on the inetrview panel will certainly boost your chances. Particularly when the choice remains between you and someone else from UniZik.

I no be UniBen grad o! In case some of you start making some wrong assumptions. Greatest Ife is my alma mater.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by deepwater(f): 10:05pm On Sep 17, 2013
kenneyyice: Tankz alot 4 dis tread i am in serious confusion right nw cos i got admitted in2 UNIBEN 2 study PETROLEUM ENGINEERING and would also b admitted in2 UNIZIK to study CHEMICAL ENGINEERING tru pre science. Pls which one should is reject and accept nw.. Jugdeing frm job opportunites and other aspects.....

My brother, please please do not make the greatest mistake, pre science is not university admission! Please please, I am begging you.
Go on with the uniben petroleum engineering, after your first year you should buy change of course form from the school and switch to chemical engineering, so you can join the chemical guys from 200 level or you can apply to oau chemical engineering department with your 100 level transcript, never compare pre science to actual admission. Please don't loose your uniben admission. You can always ask me questions about chemical engineering, I will be obliged to assist.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by deepwater(f): 10:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
9ijaMan:

Are both schools taking you on a pre-degree basis...? If the answer is Yes, I'd go to UniBen. If UniBen is offering you to start at 100 level, again UniBen is the way to go. Chemical Engineering may have a wider scope, it's not a guaranty that you'll get a job faster. In your case the name of the school matters. My limited knowledge of both schools is assuming that UniBen is rated higher. It's also likely ther are more Uniben grads working in the O&G industry in Nigeria when compared to UniZik. Having someone who graduated from from your former school on the inetrview panel will certainly boost your chances. Particularly when the choice remains between you and someone else from UniZik.

I no be UniBen grad o! In case some of you start making some wrong assumptions. Greatest Ife is my alma mater.

9jaman, I understand your point based on the panel/interview aspect.
However, in terms of rating, it might interest you to know that Uniben is not business as usual, as at the last time I checked (3 semester ago), the faculty of engineering in uniben lost its accreditation on 5 departments out of 7! Imagine faculty of tech in ife losing such!!!
On the other side all engineering department in unizik are fully accredited and the school is not under almighty ASUU, that means no strike!
So you rep white house ehn?! Prof titi kuku from white house was our penultimate dean.
Great Ife, you have a pm sir

3 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by ladg: 10:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
ivytechgurl: Why hasn't anyone mentioned ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING --- THAT IS THE FUTURE GUYS..MAKING WAVES IN THE UK RIGHT NOW --WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. Even BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING is fast growing now and it's demand is set to increase even more in the coming years.
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING is an hot-cake
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lymelyte(m): 10:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
@9jaman,i graduated from production engineering recently from uniben with 2.2.do i stand a chance in the E & P,O&G industry? What certification do I need to acquire to stand out from the pack of other graduate? Godbless you and all the experience bros willing to reply my post and to add I am very good in autocad (2D & 3D)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius / Can You Remember How You Learnt The First 20 Elements? / A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.