Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59496 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 9:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
9ijaMan:

I'll take you on just the above point alone and simply ignore the rest of your epistle. It's a fallacy to state that "majority of Shell staff come in through the SITP programme at entry level". Your postulate smacks of someone who can barely see beyond his nose. Shell is a world wide company which does not employ from Nigeria alone. I have tens of friends who went to SITP and were left in the lurch for graduates who got their MSc from schools abroad. Let me explain better so that I wont get misquoted again: While a few friends went to SITP and others went to schools abroad, Shell still preferred to employ those who schooled abroad to the SITP guys (the same guys Shell trained). This still happens to date. By the way this was not a one off occurrence, so please save yourself the trouble of trying to explain.

I've had the opportunity to work in different continents/countries and my experience working in the industry across the world remains the same. It's your choice if you decide to continue to live in self denial.

No where in my entire posts have I said a graduate from any school in Nigeria does not stand a chance to work in the O&G industry, how you came to such a funny conclusion tells me a lot more about you. I'm fully aware that lots of school cert leavers work in the industry, as such it'll be foolhardy for any one to state that only specific Unis' grads work in the industry.

This will certainly the last I'll respond to your post. Peace!

im glad im bringing you closer to reality with the last paragraph of your post.

about shell and SITP, shell has a quota annually or biannual on how many people to take from SITP so don't expect shell to take everyone that participated in the programme, haven't said that
you remember that shell in fulfillment of their local capacity human development use Sitp to achieve that an agreement shell has with the FG and their host communities.

the people that are not employed are assumed to have benefitted from the programme
you may have travelled all the continents in the world, that doesn't change the fact that you speak from an employee's point of view, so you can spare me the braggadoccio.

I speak from a stake holders point of view and that is why I refer to laws and guidelines governing the industry.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 11:53pm On Sep 20, 2013
IS IT TRU THAT THIS POST MADE FRONTPAGE?

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 10:35am On Sep 22, 2013
jp philips:

im glad im bringing you closer to reality with the last paragraph of your post.

about shell and SITP, shell has a quota annually or biannual on how many people to take from SITP so don't expect shell to take everyone that participated in the programme, haven't said that
you remember that shell in fulfillment of their local capacity human development use Sitp to achieve that an agreement shell has with the FG and their host communities.

the people that are not employed are assumed to have benefitted from the programme
you may have travelled all the continents in the world, that doesn't change the fact that you speak from an employee's point of view, so you can spare me the braggadoccio.

I speak from a stake holders point of view and that is why I refer to laws and guidelines governing the industry.
b4 I lost ya contact cs ds thread may slowly faint out with time,can I have year email address pls 9jaman n jp philips incase I cm across a huddle latr in ma career and nid your experienced advice...promise nt 2 dstrb ya...basically jus career advice...for privacy/security sake,u can jus drop me a line tru ma mail if u dnt wana mk yours public: y.akindele@yahoo.com(08106326186)..tnx in advnc
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 8:38am On Nov 19, 2013
hopelink1: when it reacts it is chemical! when it moves it is mechanical! etc buh what of petroleum? when it does what? my guy na chemical I dey, u r welcome to the greatest department!

whc uni u dey bro
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Lilimax(f): 8:43am On Nov 19, 2013
Capableben: IS IT TRU THAT THIS POST MADE FRONTPAGE?
It does and I remebered that day vivdly?
One jp philips was everywhere defending Chemical Enigneers?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by another1234(m): 8:24am On Jan 09, 2014
xup
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 11:23am On Jul 08, 2014
9ijaMan:

The first criteria at getting a shot into an O&G firm is to finish first with a 2:1. At least a lot of interview doors will easily open for you. UniLag and UniBen have for long ranked among the top schools in Nigeria. UniPort obviously enjoys the advantage of location. I know some here feel schools don't matter, they are very much entitled to their opinion. My almost 15 years in the industry, shows clearly that Schools do really matter. Arguing that they don't matter amounts to self denial. In the UK and the US it's the same. In fact, it does happen too in the middle east.

Back to your questions, those three schools have an almost equal ranking within the industry in Nigeria, once again UniPort enjoys location advantage, hence it just about ranks equal with the other two heavy weights.

Since there will be no significant "school factor" advantage, it then boils down to individual performance, members of the interviewing panel and finally luck.

My response above is based on real life experience and not some "equal opportunity employer" hogwash.

Brother, Do u know Futyola? Have u met any graduate from there? How is the school ranked in the industry any idea?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 11:27am On Jul 08, 2014
9ijaMan:

The first criteria at getting a shot into an O&G firm is to finish first with a 2:1. At least a lot of interview doors will easily open for you. UniLag and UniBen have for long ranked among the top schools in Nigeria. UniPort obviously enjoys the advantage of location. I know some here feel schools don't matter, they are very much entitled to their opinion. My almost 15 years in the industry, shows clearly that Schools do really matter. Arguing that they don't matter amounts to self denial. In the UK and the US it's the same. In fact, it does happen too in the middle east.

Back to your questions, those three schools have an almost equal ranking within the industry in Nigeria, once again UniPort enjoys location advantage, hence it just about ranks equal with the other two heavy weights.

Since there will be no significant "school factor" advantage, it then boils down to individual performance, members of the interviewing panel and finally luck.

My response above is based on real life experience and not some "equal opportunity employer" hogwash.
brother, do you know futyola? Have u met any graduate from there How is the school ranked in the industry?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 08, 2014
kika41: @Godakpan,but sometimes,school matters
. Sch and course of studies doesn't matter, av seen poor med docs n very repected linguist. For name of sch, take sanusi for example-uni of Sudan
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by akilahafaf: 4:48pm On Aug 11, 2014
seriously am enjoying all those comment u are making but I want to ask a question will it be possible for someone who took petroleum engineering as a choice of course to later change his or course to chemical engineering cause change of course has been closes now. plus do female have the chance of getting petroleum engineering jobs?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 10:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
Lilimax:
Correct.

@ OP, I will advice you to go for Chemical Engineering which is wider and with prospects.

Quite a number of them are being employed yearly in my orgnisation smiley.
Which organisation is that??
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 10:59pm On Oct 24, 2014
akilahafaf:
seriously am enjoying all those comment u are making but I want to ask a question will it be possible for someone who took petroleum engineering as a choice of course to later change his or course to chemical engineering cause change of course has been closes now. plus do female have the chance of getting petroleum engineering jobs?

it can be changed via interdepartmental transfer.

Females can get engine jobs too
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 1:10am On Oct 25, 2014
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 28, 2014
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Obaino2013(m): 11:49pm On Mar 13, 2015
Sorry for resurrecting this thread undecided
I just stumbled upon it.

I am a chemical engineer, I graduated with 2.2.
Plz what certification(s) can I get to have a chance with Oil Servicing coys since the main oil coys go for 2.1?

Someone said I should go for nebosh
But am looking at instrumentation or welding embarassed

Pls someone should help me out, don't know much about certifications.

Cc: 9ijaMan, jpphilips ...
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 5:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
Obaino2013:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread undecided
I just stumbled upon it.

I am a chemical engineer, I graduated with 2.2.
Plz what certification(s) can I get to have a chance with Oil Servicing coys since the main oil coys go for 2.1?

Someone said I should go for nebosh
But am looking at instrumentation or welding embarassed

Pls someone should help me out, don't know much about certifications.

Cc: 9ijaMan, jpphilips ...

NEBOSH is professional safety, most organizations recommend it for managerial cadre between 10 to 15 yrs experience depending on organisation, that you don't have.

Safety implementation has a lot to do with experience, so you just need to climb the stairs.

Secondly, no employer will be bamboozled by your fat NEBOSH when he is certain you have no experience. Its like using a PHD to look for a trainee job.

As a chemical engineer, you are a process engineer, all your certifications must target process completion.
I will recommend the following for you;

# Engineering design application

# Mud engineering certification.

#Quality implementation certification ( NACE, ASNT, ISO, API , CWI, ASME etc)
# Integrity assessment and corrosion monitoring.

# Instrumentation is good but I will employ an electrical major with instrumentation before a chemical guy with it. It is not a standard procedure but just a matter of preference.

If you decide to stick to oil companies then the following will help;

# Production and test separation systems

# Oil export systems operations

# Chemical treatment

# crude oil storage, oil stabilization, pigging, oil fiscal metering.

If prefer gas then these certifications may help;

# Two phase separation

# Gas sweetening, Gas compression and dehydration systems, Gas lift systems.

# water oil and Gas sampling analysis.

If you watch closely, they are basically production operations, since service companies are employed to assist them in most operations, for sure one of these must land you in a servicing company.

The bad news is that for most of them you may have to travel abroad to get it done and pretty expensive.
Why don't you apply to smaller companies that will give you some experience and get you trained as well?

I can only speak for my areas of specialty and the kinda skills I employ.
Hope it helps
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Obaino2013(m): 6:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
jpphilips:

Why don't you apply to smaller companies that will give you some experience and get you trained as well?

Thank you very much. I really appreciate.

Yeah, process is my thing, but am looking at changing to drilling, perhaps, an Msc in petroleum Engr.

Do u know any coy(s) I can apply to?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Uricas(m): 11:59am On Mar 16, 2015
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by benELOHIM7(m): 4:34pm On Mar 17, 2015
I am a chemical engineering final year student.I'd Love to forward my academiCs in petroleum production and management without doing NYSC. please can you tell me how to go about it, and which school is Okay for my aspiration.
Nate7even:
Can you tell me about the work activities of a civil engineer in the field...so in love with civil engineering
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by benELOHIM7(m): 4:44pm On Mar 17, 2015
I am a chemical engineering final year student.I'd Love to forward my academiCs in petroleum production and management without doing NYSC. please can you tell me how to go about it, and which school is Okay for my aspiration author=jpphilips post=18205662]@9ijaMan

I like the part where you said you stand to be corrected on some of this issues, learn also to appreciate a few corrections you are given.
insisting that FPSO's don't produce or bring crude to the surface is something that is not worth discussing on my time.
if you admit it does produce, then kindly edit your former post where you said it is for storage only, you never can tell who might be reading it.

you claimed it only stores and i told you that it does produce and process, haven said that, as a professional driller, there are some statements that i will gladly ignore not to spite you but as someone who understands to a great extent what you do and where your operations end, it may elude wisdom to argue production with you so i rather give up at this verge.

you may be part of the team who drilled 44 wells in OML 130 does not necessarily mean you know anything about the FPSO there, so we can skip the "i was there" part.
just to let you know, the 44 wells you drilled at OML 130 is now doing 180,000boepd with storage capacity of 2mbbls.

this is your statement in question;

we are not saying the same thing about Old Uni's, i explained a phenomenon you have noticed but you misconstrued that phenomenon believing it has something to do with employment which i still insist it doesn't.
Any industry expert, consultant, Hro, etc can go to any school and lecture, there is no industry guideline on which school to visit and what to tell them, therefore it has no bearing with the chances of those schools on employment.
A HR manager in a standard company cannot hire people from his Alma matter alone, it is a short cut to kiss his job good bye.

please, no body is engaging you in any shouting match, whatever your intents are, you owe it to your audience to put things in the right perspective.

by the way, why do you start your response with "chief"?

[/quote]
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 9:33am On Mar 19, 2015
Obaino2013:

Thank you very much. I really appreciate.

Yeah, process is my thing, but am looking at changing to drilling, perhaps, an Msc in petroleum Engr.

Do u know any coy(s) I can apply to?

Changing to drilling, do you have any reason for that? it is a fantastic career no doubt but most people like you may not care about the risk associated with the job but the money.
If I am right with that postulation, there are very important details you must know. The indigenization of the oil and gas industry as enshrined by Jonathan has nothing for the workers save for the indigenous company owners, viz politicians.
What that means is that drilling operations hardly pay the way it used to, except for a few multinational companies (ie if they don't hire you on contract by the way), you can hardly see the indigenous players who still pay those outrageous amount, while the risk remains in tact.

Another bad news is local community influence, bearing in mind that the rig move around, not only from one region to the other, it can move across borders, there are new laws that limit their employment criteria, here is how it works, though they manage to hire a few permanent major rig staff, there are also engineers in the office, but if your career aspiration is to start in the field, this is how it will play out.

If the rig is drilling off the coast of Lagos, they will hire Lagosians, when it moves south off the coast of Akwaibom or Gulf of Guinea, they hire Akwaibomites, what does that make you? a temporary staff!! though you are compensated when your rig leaves and all the perks that comes with it, it is not my idea of a career in the real sense of the word.

Most rig drilling jobs are major projects, with a rig charging between $250,000/day to $600,000/d, that is not the kinda money IOC's will invest in the face of a dwindling oil price, how this affect you is that your drilling company MAY not always have jobs.

I am not in anyway undermining drilling operations, but it is not as rosy as it used to be and competition is tougher now, people who got in early enough had it great unlike the situation now.

If you stick with Process, you will still stand a chance with drilling in the area of drilling fluid formulation and its implementation processes, ultrafiltration and loads of separation techniques required to recover drilling mud from the cuttings, the rest like MWD may be limited to the geologists/Geophysicists and perhaps electrical Engineers, there is no industry guideline to that but it plays out that way most times.

Outside the world of exploration, process is everything in production, design and integrity assessment that broadens your options. What I think is right is this, stick with process but get as much certifications as possible anywhere you have interest, that leaves your options open.
I cannot give you a list of companies you can apply to and I cannot recommend you either (of course I don't know you), that is asking for too much, google is there to help at this point of your need.

Note: Foreigners have a different perspective to the Nigerian oil and gas industry, so it largely depends on who you are talking to.

I hope that helps, do have a nice day!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Obaino2013(m): 8:37am On Mar 20, 2015
@jpphilips

Am not gay but I love you kiss kiss

Thank you very much sir. God bless you. You just opened my eyes to so many things. I have no option than to read your quote three times shocked

Btw, you were right on the first sentence.

Once again, thank you and God bless you sir.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by pipz(m): 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2015
Hi House,

Can i please, get a link to any lecturer preferably UNILAG from the Chemical Engineering Dept. to take private coaching classes in

1. Separation Processes & Multi-component Separation

2. Mass & Energy Balance calculations.

Please, the person can be a PHD student or possess an M. Eng & at least one year lecturing experience in this field and must also be lecturing currently.

Location. Island, Lagos.

Period is going to be for 20 days. maximum of 4 hrs per day.

Interested person can drop me a mail on adeola0072003@yahoo.com or send a msg here.

Fees: Negotiable.

thanks
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Oxytocin(m): 9:50am On Oct 23, 2015
Hello guyz...am a chemical engineering aspirant, buh am a bit skeptical, thinking of pet eng or mech eng depending on the Labour market now... You guyz should advice me pls
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by DIVFAVOR(m): 10:23am On Oct 23, 2015
primusmaximus:
When it comes to getting jobs, I'll advice you anyday to go for chemical engineering... I agree that petroleum departments in oil companies pay the highest but at d end of d day at least half of the staff workin in these petroleum departments studied Mech, chemical or geology.. Petroleum engineering is highly restricted, the only place you can fully use your degree is in 'some areas' of the oil industry, whereas chem, Mech and Elect can work almost anywhere ... I'm a Petroleum Engineering graduate so I know what I'm saying. If I could go back in time I'll have studied Mechanical

Good one bro. @OP, my candid advise, don't study any of them, though Chemical is better when compared to Petroleum, please run and grab mechanical or electrical is you can. talking from experience, I am a chemical engr but if I can turn the hand of time I will gladly grab electrical or mechanical. Even Met Mat is better than bot chemical and petroleum in the larger industries. ( My Opinion sha). But if you want to easily make first class without stress especially when you are smart, then go and do Petroleum with that you can push your way up. In all my bro, God is the answer, When He works with you even without a degree you will always smile and have this peace that people lack. God bless your hands.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Oxytocin(m): 10:53am On Oct 23, 2015
DIVFAVOR:

Good one bro. @OP, my candid advise, don't study any of them, though Chemical is better when compared to Petroleum, please run and grab mechanical or electrical is you can. talking from experience, I am a chemical engr but if I can turn the hand of time I will gladly grab electrical or mechanical. Even Met Mat is better than bot chemical and petroleum in the larger industries. ( My Opinion sha). But if you want to easily make first class without stress especially when you are smart, then go and do Petroleum with that you can push your way up. In all my bro, God is the answer, When He works with you even without a degree you will always smile and have this peace that people lack. God bless your hands.
Are you trying to say mechanical engineering and electrical engineering are both better than pet and Chem engineering?? And what do you mean by one should go for Pet eng, if you wanna get first class without stress?? What of Chem engineering?? Need answers
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by DIVFAVOR(m): 2:58pm On Oct 23, 2015
Oxytocin:
Are you trying to say mechanical engineering and electrical engineering are both better than pet and Chem engineering?? And what do you mean by one should go for Pet eng, if you wanna get first class without stress?? What of Chem engineering?? Need answers

Bro Like I said industry wise, Mechanical and Electrical is far way lucrative than chemical, Mention a place for me where these two disciplines cant work?

YES!!! its easier to make first class in petroleum one major reason: from your third onwards if you are smart you will never have issues, because almost what you will be seeing are no longer new to you.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Oxytocin(m): 12:29pm On Oct 24, 2015
DIVFAVOR:

Bro Like I said industry wise, Mechanical and Electrical is far way lucrative than chemical, Mention a place for me where these two disciplines cant work?

YES!!! its easier to make first class in petroleum one major reason: from your third onwards if you are smart you will never have issues, because almost what you will be seeing are no longer new to you.
OK... I get, buh in petroleum and chemical engineering which one is more easy to make a first class??
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by chika11sydney(m): 3:22pm On Oct 30, 2015
hello! pls I'm to study mechanical engineering in university but confused of which university to choose between (unilag and futa)...
which do u think will have more better chance in O&G industry like total.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by chika11sydney(m): 3:31pm On Oct 30, 2015
hello! I'm to study mechanical engineering in university but confused of which university to choose between (unilag and futa).
And which of them has a better chance in O&G industry like total. pls i highly need your replies
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by chika11sydney(m): 4:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
??
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jessetom(m): 10:56pm On Nov 30, 2015
Good day Greatest Engineers. I am a 300l chemical engineering student. I will like to know about the present job market situation report for this field. I would love to know where we can work. I will like to know what I can do in upstream petroleum sector. I will like to know lots of stuff concerning chemical engineering and the real world and the Nigerian situation.
Sorry for being over inquisitive but I am just curious, I. have never had a platform to ask all these questions. Please I need your help asap. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can You Remember How You Learnt The First 20 Elements? / Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius / A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.