Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration (8771 Views)

Tuning The Old Car - Renault 19, Chamade, 1994 / Is Mileage Of 156,000 Miles Too High For A 1999 (ie 14-Year-Old) Car? / t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by benz1x: 11:20pm On Nov 15, 2013
Thank you for responding au.hanson.

On the issue of oil, I know all the discussions that went down on it as Ive been through the mercedes benz thread twice. I know the theoretical value of synthetic oils, but I wanted practical experience. Now that you have given me the go ahead, I will switch to mobil 1 0w-40 at the end of the month.

I also know the issue of coolant was controversial and never really settled. If I remember correctly, Trac said to avoid the green one and get something close to Zerex G05 by valvovine. The problem is that it is not readily available. Well, I guess I will go with what you are using then and change it every year or two.

I will look for Dextron III for the steering fluid, as I dont know what is in mine currently. I will do this at the end of the month as well.

Please I am looking forward to the answers to the rest of the questions when you have the time.

Thanks, you are a great man.

1 Like

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by benz1x: 1:12pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice:

@smartchoice, yes I have been through the thread twice. Even more than. The first time I went through it, I was discouraged and on the early pages, you will see some people had the same fears.

You will admit that not all the questions I asked where resolved on the mercedes benz thread. You will also admit that the thread took well over two years to get to where it is and therefore you and other w202 users have acquired great experience in the meantime.

It is that experience I am hoping to learn from and hoping can be gathered and accumulated in one place as a resource for other newbies like me.
Im really encouraged by all of you. All Im asking for is to learn from you guys. Im new to this. Before coming to car talk, I used to be the type to go with whatever my mechanic says. Not anymore.

For instance the notorious case of thermostat removals. I know much better now. For instance, my brother bought a 2005 Rav4 from Lagos and it had to be driven to Benin. I was furious when I learnt that the thermostat was removed in Lagos. I asked him to get hold of the thermostat and fix it back but the mechanics and the guy who was to drive it down to Benin refused. As soon as the car got to Benin, we went to fix the thermostat back.

So please, dont be annoyed at my questions. They are actually helping some people.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 16, 2013
annoyed ke? not at all....post your email and let me send you the MB comprehensive service manual wink

benz1x:
@smartchoice, yes I have been through the thread twice. Even more than. The first time I went through it, I was discouraged and on the early pages, you will see some people had the same fears.

You will admit that not all the questions I asked where resolved on the mercedes benz thread. You will also admit that the thread took well over two years to get to where it is and therefore you and other w202 users have acquired great experience in the meantime.

It is that experience I am hoping to learn from and hoping can be gathered and accumulated in one place as a resource for other newbies like me.
Im really encouraged by all of you. All Im asking for is to learn from you guys. Im new to this. Before coming to car talk, I used to be the type to go with whatever my mechanic says. Not anymore.

For instance the notorious case of thermostat removals. I know much better now. For instance, my brother bought a 2005 Rav4 from Lagos and it had to be driven to Benin. I was furious when I learnt that the thermostat was removed in Lagos. I asked him to get hold of the thermostat and fix it back but the mechanics and the guy who was to drive it down to Benin refused. As soon as the car got to Benin, we went to fix the thermostat back.

So please, dont be annoyed at my questions. They are actually helping some people.

Thanks.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by benz1x: 10:05pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice: annoyed ke? not at all....post your email and let me send you the MB comprehensive service manual wink

My email is ojesq@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 16, 2013
u got mail
benz1x:
My email is ojesq@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 4:45pm On Nov 17, 2013
benz1x: Thank you for responding au.hanson.

On the issue of oil, I know all the discussions that went down on it as Ive been through the mercedes benz thread twice. I know the theoretical value of synthetic oils, but I wanted practical experience. Now that you have given me the go ahead, I will switch to mobil 1 0w-40 at the end of the month.

I also know the issue of coolant was controversial and never really settled. If I remember correctly, Trac said to avoid the green one and get something close to Zerex G05 by valvovine. The problem is that it is not readily available. Well, I guess I will go with what you are using then and change it every year or two.

I will look for Dextron III as I dont know what is in there currently. I will do this at the end of the month as well.

Please I am looking forward to the answers to the rest of the questions when you have the time.

Thanks, you are a great man.

Sorry my dear! I was really determine to answer all, but my home network messed up seriously over the weekend. i have better network in my office(broadband).

I have just manage to respond as the network permit, check back above.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by davidhoop: 10:55pm On Nov 17, 2013
Nice work guys.very enjoyable reading

1 Like

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by benz1x: 9:00am On Nov 21, 2013
au.hanson:

Sorry my dear! I was really determine to answer all, but my home network messed up seriously over the weekend. i have better network in my office(broadband).

I have just manage to respond as the network permit, check back above.

Ive checked and Im extremely grateful for your response.

May your generosity be deeply rewarded.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 21, 2013
smartchoice: u got mail
plz send me that of a Cerato
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 12:58am On Nov 25, 2013
benz1x:

Ive checked and Im extremely grateful for your response.

May your generosity be deeply rewarded.

Amen!! and thankyou for your kind words
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by malpigi: 8:35pm On Nov 29, 2013
hi, au.hanson, please kindly help me out on this thread, please

www.nairaland.com/1531592/serious-need-very-good-nissan.

thanks in advance
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 9:36am On Nov 30, 2013
malpigi: hi, au.hanson, please kindly help me out on this thread, please

www.nairaland.com/1531592/serious-need-very-good-nissan.

thanks in advance

ok, no fears!!
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by prudencesmart(m): 8:04pm On Nov 30, 2013
Please house, permit my unusual approach, all protocol observe.

I have a benz c180 94 model far back home in Nigeria, to be precise in PH with my mum, just yesterday she told me that the car entered a limb mode while she was driving. She narrated that she entered one unusual road that was so terrible, in some instances she had to put off the ac as the car would attempt to enter a limb mode under hard maneuvering, then at a point she couldnt bear the heat and dust than to just keep the ac life throughout the rough terrain , but unfortunately the car finally entered a limb mode and nothing she did could revive the vehicle, it had to be finally towed back home after having run down the battery and affected the kick badly.

Initially the car would crank but remains very powerless, could not accelerate when engaged the gear, now it cant even remain in idling anymore

Someone is coming to install a new key and bendit, and i have caution her not to stress the new kick untill i come home at christmas hols if solution could not be offered.

House please help. Thanks in advance.

Also,according to her initially before this incidence, the engine use to have a little noticeable shaking when first crank in the morning as though the engine sitting were bad or the water pump, where you have the hydrualic fan was making some unusual sound as in rattling.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 5:57pm On Dec 02, 2013
prudence.smart:
Please house, permit my unusual approach, all protocol observe.

I have a benz c180 94 model far back home in Nigeria, to be precise in PH with my mum, just yesterday she told me that the car entered a limb mode while she was driving. She narrated that she entered one unusual road that was so terrible, in some instances she had to put off the ac as the car would attempt to enter a limb mode under hard maneuvering, then at a point she couldnt bear the heat and dust than to just keep the ac life throughout the rough terrain , but unfortunately the car finally entered a limb mode and nothing she did could revive the vehicle, it had to be finally towed back home after having run down the battery and affected the kick badly.

Initially the car would crank but remains very powerless, could not accelerate when engaged the gear, now it cant even remain in idling anymore

Someone is coming to install a new key and bendit, and i have caution her not to stress the new kick untill i come home at christmas hols if solution could not be offered.

House please help. Thanks in advance.

Also,according to her initially before this incidence, the engine use to have a little noticeable shaking when first crank in the morning as though the engine sitting were bad or the water pump, where you have the hydrualic fan was making some unusual sound as in rattling.

Dont change anything just yet, though as you have said it may have overstressed the kick(i could still fix that for you , its only the appendix that could wear out in this case, and that cost just 1k5)the primary issue is a minor problem, first of all scan the vehicle.

You mention PH, thats my area. If i had seen this earlier on maybe i could have offered to squeeze out time to go there and sort out the issue for you free of charge on a saturday/sunday like this, tho i'm not a mechanic, i have done it for close friends before. Anyways , its not too late , you can send me pms against next weekend if that will be ok by you?
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by nuwell(m): 12:53pm On Nov 24, 2016
Auhansen, I hope you're still on nairaland, and that you get this message. You're indeed a great man like benz1x remarked all that time ago. It's been three years and counting, but all the wise counsel and guidance you provided has established a legacy for you.

I would like to get in touch with you urgently. Your experience, enthusiasm and great personality are the exact support resources I need as I commence the Benz ownership journey too. I have sent you a PM. Please reply soon. Thanks.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 24, 2016
auhanson:

Nop, you simply carefully remove the previous rulers and clips with a pair of pincers and screw driver . With the same hole aready given to you by MB you insert the new clips and clip back the pads to turn it padded as easy as that. But make sure you clean the those portions very well if they are dirty, and paint with anti rust if they are rusty before you reclips them back. If you chose nice pads you cant see the difference with follow come and they flush nicely . Normally, dark pads of the same color precedes light colours body paints. Like mine see picture below, you dont even need to paint the car if your painting is ok, i never repainted mine , the pad nor the car. I like them in that already made factory painting
Oga how many Mercedes Benz vehicles do you own? And I guess that C class Benz behind the blue 190E in the first picture is also yours?
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by haywhy2323: 2:38pm On Mar 15, 2017
@auhanson are u still in PH? If so il like to meet with u, my w203 needs ur expertise

(1) (2) (Reply)

Difference Between Camry 2007 Xle V6 And 2010 Xle V6 / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels / Autel, Launch And Other Car Diagnostics Equipments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.