Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,560 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? (19016 Views)

Worlds Sexiest Accents / Top 13 Countries With The S*xiest Accents In The World / Are These The World's Sexiest Accents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nosyke(m): 4:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
gregtochi:

Adaora Oleh (MTN Project fame)

Benjamin Joseph (MTN Project fame)

Osas Maltina (Dance all)

III Ryms (Glo African/Nigerian Idol)

ETC

To add to your list;
Ciana, Amaka, Kiki and SolidC (Hot fm abuja)
Moet, Adams and Pearl. (MTV abi na SOundcity)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by miqos(m): 4:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
slim fit :
I tire oh mostly channels and ait.

na lie, silverbird tv worse pass

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by guccimilan(m): 4:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
Baybe: Seriously, what's with the fake American accents undecided. They are presenting to a Nigeria audience and not American audience, why change your accent? It's getting annoying.
Some even make use of the accent when speaking pidgin English, Smh embarassed

Guy am sure you knew nothing about language and diction. for any language there's a specific diction to it. You can't speak ibo with hausa accent and pass it in school.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by nkpommpko(m): 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
modele2: Finally someone notices, the thing grates on my nerves.

A British man speaks like a Britishman, Americans , Germans ,Russians and the French all have their accents...But the Nigerian man instead of speaking in his own accent would start forming...i really dont understand.

Sometimes when you see nigerians talking to foreigners the way even the most local guy would just change tounge is alarming. As if an oyibo man changes his accent when talking to you. Mscheww.
. No matter how dey try don't don't even get the accent so they are just fooling themselves when an American speaks or someone that grew up there speaks the difference is clear

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by bebe2(f): 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
Baybe: Seriously, what's with the fake American accents undecided. They are presenting to a Nigeria audience and not American audience, why change your accent? It's getting annoying.

Totally agree with u, the pronunciation of the country's name is another issue for debate.

Is it Ni-gee-ria OR Ni-jay-ria ??

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by andyanders: 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2013
I wonderoooooooooooo.
We have street language and real spoken English in America.
In America, when you speak the real British accent in an office, you will be respected as an educated person.
Our 9ija guys like to fake their street accent even in offices and the real educated Americans knows who you are.If you are intelligent, they know.
The street ghetto language you copy, cannot flow until you live long in America. You cannot just get to America and start flowing. It will take you years to even come to reality with street language.
Someone from New York, flows differently from someone down south like Atlanta or Tennessee.
Back home, even people who travel to Germany and Netherlands just they fumble.Our footballers,even Keshi too.
Na by force?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by demelza: 4:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nosyke:

To add to your list;
Ciana, Amaka, Kiki and SolidC (Hot fm abuja)
Moet, Adams and Pearl. (MTV abi na SOundcity)

Hot Fm presenters are something else especially Kiki. That girl sounds totally ridiculous to the point of embarassment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Brite02(m): 4:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
Ajibel: 'Cuz they just wanna gonna be like 'em cheesy

cheesy cheesy cheesy

I so love my nigerian accent wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by seangy4konji: 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
There is radio presenter on beat97.9 fm...when dis lady talks on radio?u wud tinK she had a frog down her throat..I tweeted dem on a radio show asking her if she has something she is sopposed to cough out or why she so fake wit the accent and deh reported me and had my acct suspended..fake ass wanna beeezz

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by searay(m): 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
@OP, So speaking with diction is now a crime?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by deeptesting(m): 4:46pm On Sep 16, 2013
I believe it has to do with age...it is common with the young generation presenters and not old timers like us, presenting on NL radio station, please tune in and listen to us. #thejoneses
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nosyke(m): 4:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
demelza: Hot Fm presenters are something else especially Kiki. That girl sounds totally ridiculous to the point of embarassment.

...and here i was thinking it was only me that notices them.......... undecided
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Mznaett: 4:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
@op.. Don't you think their Educational background could lead to that Though i know it's not all that clicks to these "AMERICAN ACCENTS" lets just assume Mr A..didnt school here while Mr B had his Education here in Nigeria...do you expect both of them to have the same Accent? Though they are NIGERIANS...Well,'m not surprise that even those that havnt cross the gate do use this "AMERICAN ACCENTS" So my take here is this..."IF THE CAP FIT YOU, ABEG WERAM"
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Okaka27(m): 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2013
and most embarassing tin b say the Kiki @hot fm is a very ugly lady and instead of respectin herself..she too dey spec phoneh *smh*

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Exponental(m): 5:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
In as much as they are not speaking our dialets, afterall, we COPY in everything we do!
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by HUGES: 5:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nahhh. I am in showbiz and I 'form' American accent wella. Now there is nothing like Nigerian accent in English. Do u suppose I use Yoruba accent to speak english or I shld use Igbo accent to speak the whiteman's language Nahh folks. It belongs to the Britons and the Americans so the list we can do is try to speak it like them. Also, I feel good when I speak with an American accent, u may think of it as inferiority complex, but actually my naturally intimidating personality heightened when I am using my fake accent among folks. They naturally think I am better than them. It started like a joke, but it's now a part of me. My boss is Ibo, but when he speaks Yoruba with the actual Yoruba accent it's so beautiful on him. Finally, imagine a none native speaking your language with d accent of their mother tongue, rmbr u use to laugh at such ppl. And now u think we accent folks are funny. Nahhh peeps, if u think we are fake, then d joke is on yo'all.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Effwazobia: 5:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
ledafaze:

Examples
Pastor Chris Oyakhilome

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Boss13: 5:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
I stopped listening to Rhythm 93.7 Lagos breakfast show because of Toke Makinwa (I hear she is pretty) but the accent is irritating. Even her co-presenter too (the guy). The accent is not American, it's not British, it's not jamaican. It's just something like a crying water fall and so irritating to the ear. What annoyed me the most, was when she narrated her childhood life using a popular street play often carried out by street kids in the 80's in Lagos and I was like WTF, so the girl even grow up for Lagos sef. I thought she grew up in one of the isolated islands of the world.

I think Benjamin Joseph tries to pronounce properly but he adds some nonsense accent too. Same thing as his co-presenter (adaora abi?) that accent is a disgusting one too.

These media houses should stop the nonsense. We shy away from who we are to be who will would never be.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Boss13: 5:34pm On Sep 16, 2013
HUGE_S: Nahhh. I am in showbiz and I 'form' American accent wella. Now there is nothing like Nigerian accent in English. Do u suppose I use Yoruba accent to speak english or I shld use Igbo accent to speak the whiteman's language Nahh folks. It belongs to the Britons and the Americans so the list we can do is try to speak it like them. Also, I feel good when I speak with an American accent, u may think of it as inferiority complex, but actually my naturally intimidating personality heightened when I am using my fake accent among folks. They naturally think I am better than them. It started like a joke, but it's now a part of me. My boss is Ibo, but when he speaks Yoruba with the actual Yoruba accent it's so beautiful on him. Finally, imagine a none native speaking your language with d accent of their mother tongue, rmbr u use to laugh at such ppl. And now u think we accent folks are funny. Nahhh peeps, if u think we are fake, then d joke is on yo'all.

You don't speak with an American accent. You try to. And it doesn't make people feel you are better than them. Many just don't want to let you know how funny you sound or tell you to your face how your inferior complex issue is eating you deep.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Effwazobia: 5:50pm On Sep 16, 2013
I guess it must be working for them. I mean look at the audience and those ratings. If I were them, I would keep using em. Why quit. If it ain't broke, you know the rest. The numbers show that most Nigerians can't really tell that those accents are fake like a 3 dollar bill. Just check the ratings and the seamless revenues being generated. Most Nigers no send o as long as it sounds different. Na una toro be that o
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by myads890(m): 5:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
HUGE_S: Nahhh. I am in showbiz and I 'form' American accent wella. Now there is nothing like Nigerian accent in English. Do u suppose I use Yoruba accent to speak english or I shld use Igbo accent to speak the whiteman's language Nahh folks. It belongs to the Britons and the Americans so the list we can do is try to speak it like them. Also, I feel good when I speak with an American accent, u may think of it as inferiority complex, but actually my naturally intimidating personality heightened when I am using my fake accent among folks. They naturally think I am better than them. It started like a joke, but it's now a part of me. My boss is Ibo, but when he speaks Yoruba with the actual Yoruba accent it's so beautiful on him. Finally, imagine a none native speaking your language with d accent of their mother tongue, rmbr u use to laugh at such ppl. And now u think we accent folks are funny. Nahhh peeps, if u think we are fake, then d joke is on yo'all.

Bro, you are soooooo lame. You sound gay. The only reason why you intimidate people is because you spend most of your time speaking to people who are more stupid than you are.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by myads890(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
demelza: Cool fm presenters are most guilty of this.
Kenny Ogungbe of Kennis music also forms americano but his thick ijebu accent wont let him pull it off.
Dj Jimmy Jatt inspite of him having the H-factor also forms his h-accent.

I couldn't agree with you more grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by theSpark(m): 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2013
Akshow: Fake accents thread bore me on nairaland cos it seems u guys mistake good English and right pronunciation for fake accent. They are trying to pronounce words d way dey ought to be pronounced and u guys are here hating.

so in the case of American and British accents there are two correct ways of speaking? In my opinion accents are over rated. They have little to do with correct pronounciation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by fijiano202(m): 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
Do they watch Channels TV and AIT in North America and Europe cos our presenters accent are more slangy than the Americans itself.some people call u hater if u openly criticize them but what baffles me is that u are speaking to nigerians with fake american accent,how do u want them to conprehend what ur saying

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by danielmichael(m): 6:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
luk at al dis monkeys commentin on an inconsequential topic dt is no beneficial 2 a brastophonic homosapien..news presenterz cnt event xpres awt d accent bk us u wil easily identify dt dy re faking it bt if u wnt 2hear awt real americn acent in nigeria,cal diz numbz.07018851171..idiotz
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Mickey7(m): 6:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
lol what abt naija celebs?a ghetto child becomes famous today nd d before u knw it,tomoro he is already speaking tru his nose...b-red especially ..so annoying!...u knw what op?keep complaining while ur mates with 'fake' american accents get employed to wrk @radio houses,tv stations etc tongue..*teamtoolz
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Mickey7(m): 6:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
let's face it.without d 'fake' accent u cnt b a tv host,radio presenter etc in nigeria.except of course if u want to host a pidgin programme
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
I find this annoying too. Keep your onitsha accent guys. Its segzy kiss kiss
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by uche77zero(m): 6:28pm On Sep 16, 2013
any port harcourt guys in the house tell them of Karen the Black Coffe of Love FM 97.7
dammm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Ramcie(f): 6:49pm On Sep 16, 2013
Silverbird and Channels presenters are the main culprits including abuja radio presenters. soo annoying they all add /r/ while pronouncing almost all words in the English dictionary.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 16, 2013
naija presenters are not the only ones sef. chinese presenters do te same ish. watch CCTV on one of those days ur DSTV expires and u dont pay on time grin ull notice their presenters also speak in this very forced american accent, sometimes genuine, sometimes not so. wole soyinka's naija accent rocks but i love frank edoho's best

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2013
Esp all those radio presenters on cool, beat and rhythm fms...i love wazobia sha

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

13 Powerful Ways To Transform Yourself For The New Year / Man Gives Food Items & Money To Mum Of Malnourished Kids He Found On Streets / Run Whatsapp Without Internet Connection?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.