Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Cats - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cats (2514 Views)

Yoruba Does Not Have A Word For Tiger, Ekun Can Be Used To Describe Big Cats / Halloween In Nigeria: Dogs Heads & Cats Used In Juju / Cats In Nigeiran Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cats by iyawo1005(f): 9:29pm On Jun 19, 2008
Do you hate cats or think they are evil? If so, why do you think they are evil?

The reason I ask is that it seems a lot of people I have come across believe cats are evil but no one ever has a reason.

**Just wondering**
Re: Cats by HRhotness(f): 9:32pm On Jun 19, 2008
and what is the source of their evil??

Cats are fascinating creatures (and i mean the entire cat family)

they are proud, regal and independent. . . absolutely gorgeous grin

1 Like

Re: Cats by iyawo1005(f): 9:45pm On Jun 19, 2008
I believe so too, I love cats but a couple girls in my classes say most nigerians hate them and think they are evil. Figured they were exaggerating.
Re: Cats by BlackMamba(m): 3:38am On Jun 20, 2008
They're not evil. Just another animal that humans choose to control as pets. I hate pets!
Re: Cats by Tetchiness(f): 4:33am On Jun 20, 2008
I just hate them. Evil or not!
Re: Cats by mohawkchic(f): 6:01pm On Jun 21, 2008
~I wouldnt say am Extremely fond of cats but i don't hate them!!

~Do I think they're Evil?  undecided Once upon a time i did!!  I think it's the meowing and their eyes!! the stares they give  sometimes makes me ify if i want to so much as be friendly,for fear of been scratched!!

~I use to stay away from them cause lets face it,back home cats are not considered pets as far as am aware and there's a misconception they're connected to witchcraft!!

~I like my M8's Siamese cat thu,she's just about the only cat i have touched!!

~Would i have a cat as a pet?. . . .Nooo!! Not because i think they're Evil am just not drawn to cats as suppose to other animals!!

~I am curious to find out if they really do mate like humans grin can anyone verify that ? tongue

Re: Cats by lucabrasi(m): 6:47pm On Jun 21, 2008
@poster the reason a lot of nigerians have the believe that cats are evil is because cats,snakes,tortoise,owls,bats are seen as signs of evil and witchcraft and from most accounts of spiritual attacks either real or otherwise the first sign or the conductors of many attacks are often one of these creatures, in addittion cats with old women have always been associated with witchcraft in nigeria
Re: Cats by jgirl3: 1:35am On Jun 22, 2008
Cats, dogs, rats - i hate 'em all.
The only reason I can't really really hate cats that much is cos a dear person has one and I can't bear to hate her cat as much as i hate others.

However, I believe that cats are evil.
I hate their green eyes and the black ones scare the living daylight out of me.
I cannot stand them or their hair or their snuggling. It's just not normal. angry angry angry angry
Re: Cats by chuckdee4(m): 12:13pm On Jun 23, 2008
Cats are very misunderstood
A few years back i used to hate cats with a passion, from their eyes to their walk i hated everything about them.

Moved into a new place some 2 years back and it turns out that the old home owners left their cat behind, the cat wasn't inside the house, he was always in the garden and would try to get in at night or enter the kitchen to be fed (I take it that most have been a regular practice).
Together with my siblings and parents we were pissed as hell and wanted to call the RSPCA to carry him away but during Christmas we looked into the garden as it was snowing and saw the cat in the shed, hiding away from the snow, we looked into the kitchen and saw all this xmas food and then the spirit of xmas hit us, why have all that food then allow an innocent cat go hungry, so we invited him in and fed him. From that day it became a habit, we kept on feeding him until he became very comfortable with him, we proceeded to buy him a sleeping box and give him his own designated area in the house.
Its been 2 years since we let him into the house an dhe's been lovely without giving any issues, found out he was castrated so he doesn't have hormonal fights for territory and all that wahala.

Cats are not as bad as u may think, i used to hate them with a passion, look at me today, don't believe everything u hear or see on tv, tv has a way painting things bad before ur very eyes, in my opinion cats are much cleaner and less hassle than dogs and don't get the praise they deserve as pets
Re: Cats by iyawo1005(f): 6:39pm On Jun 24, 2008
Thanks for the insight everyone cheesy
Re: Cats by naijadiva2(f): 6:53pm On Jun 24, 2008
i dont' hate cats but i just don't like then cuz i got scratched by one when i was little and ever since then, just don't like them.
Re: Cats by titilaelae(f): 4:46pm On Jun 25, 2008
Cats are manipulated here in Nigeria. Witches change to creatures like cats when they want to go for their meetings. (Don't ask me how I know pls)

Some cats are innocent but depending on the location, a large number of Nigerian cats are not 100% the ordinary cats you see physically. There are a couple of them in my neighbourhood, in the dead of the night you'd hear their footsteps like human's own, accompanied by their cries (not the characteristic mews but baby-like cries) shocked shocked (this signifies their departure to meeting, I suppose) About dawn you'd hear the same sound (which logically asignifies their arrival). Almost everyone in the neighbourhood is fully aware of these regular occurences. Am not being unduly superstitious but some cats (not all) are evil. I simply hate them. angry
Re: Cats by holythug(m): 4:52pm On Jun 25, 2008
**gulps down a load of saliva. . .m shittin in ma pants now
Re: Cats by iice(f): 5:00pm On Jun 25, 2008
I love cats!!!
I remember travelling one time with one in public transport. . hehehe see people freaking out cheesy
Re: Cats by mohawkchic(f): 1:37am On Jun 26, 2008
holythug:

**gulps down a load of saliva. . .m shittin in ma pants now

~Me N You BOth!! shocked shocked
Re: Cats by HRhotness(f): 1:39am On Jun 26, 2008
titilaelae:

Cats are manipulated here in Nigeria. Witches change to creatures like cats when they want to go for their meetings. (Don't ask me how I know please)

Some cats are innocent but depending on the location, a large number of Nigerian cats are not 100% the ordinary cats you see physically. There are a couple of them in my neighbourhood, in the dead of the night you'd hear their footsteps like human's own, accompanied by their cries (not the characteristic mews but baby-like cries) shocked shocked (this signifies their departure to meeting, I suppose) About dawn you'd hear the same sound (which logically asignifies their arrival). Almost everyone in the neighbourhood is fully aware of these regular occurences. Am not being unduly superstitious but some cats (not all) are evil. I simply hate them. angry

Thats a load of bull!!!!

boarding school tales. . .  and tales by illitrates who are all wrapped up in tales of witches and witch-craft  angry angry angry

RUBBISH!!!!
Re: Cats by TOH(f): 1:41am On Jun 26, 2008
I like cats. It's dogs I cant stand
Re: Cats by Chat2MeBac(f): 1:42am On Jun 26, 2008
OMG!! Cool thread, Me quiere los gatos  kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss,

I love cats.Too bad here, I ONLY have one, His name is Zing, and he is adorable( j-girl pls come attest nah), He wakes me up on mornings and waits at the door for me when I return from work, Funny thing is he is  very jealous. If I am on my lappy and he thinks I am ignoring him, he will either unplug the cord, or jumps on the keyboard blocking the screen.  

Who says cats are evil? Gosh! God is not an evil person, so why would he created evil beings now??
Re: Cats by HRhotness(f): 1:45am On Jun 26, 2008
Chat2MeBac:

OMG!! Cool thread, Me quiere los gatos  kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss,

I love cats.Too bad here, I ONLY have one, His name is Zing, and he is adorable( j-girl please come attest nah), He wakes me up on mornings and waits at the door for me when I return from work, Funny thing is he is  very jealous. If I am on my lappy and he thinks I am ignoring him, he will either unplug the cord, or jumps on the keyboard blocking the screen. 

Who says cats are evil? Gosh! God is not an evil person, so why would he created evil beings now??

My cat, Chester would pee on my drawings when i was working towards a deadline and too busy to play . .

learnt to keep my drawings out of reach. , 

he used to sulk for days if i get angry and yell at him. , 

they are just so fascinating with such a strong personality. . . its no fair that the nigerian society hav classified them all as evil angry angry
Re: Cats by Chat2MeBac(f): 1:50am On Jun 26, 2008
I am still confuzzled as to why they really are classified as being evil for real, I had 5 cats in the islands, One passed away last year, BUt I would take a cat over a dog anyday, I got biten by a dog when I was younger( went to steal the neighbours plums grin shocked) But cats are so cuddly, They have no idea as to what they are missing out jor, Tell them HR.  cheesy

BTW, does Chester have a favourite meal? Zing hates chicken, If I feed it to him, he turns his bowl over and sit in it, He is very stubborn, just like his momma cheesy cheesy
Re: Cats by HRhotness(f): 2:19am On Jun 26, 2008
Chat2MeBac:

I am still confuzzled as to why they really are classified as being evil for real, I had 5 cats in the islands, One passed away last year, BUt I would take a cat over a dog anyday, I got biten by a dog when I was younger( went to steal the neighbours plums grin shocked) But cats are so cuddly, They have no idea as to what they are missing out jor, Tell them HR. cheesy

BTW, does Chester have a favourite meal? Zing hates chicken, If I feed it to him, he turns his bowl over and sit in it, He is very stubborn, just like his momma cheesy cheesy

Chester hated chicken as well, wld take a whiff and walk off in a strop. . . then wld go meow pitifully at my flatmtes room till she fed him something else. , . he was too gorgeous for words so no one cld refuse him anything

he loved corned beef, had a favorite brand too, anything else wldnt do. ,
Re: Cats by Chat2MeBac(f): 2:23am On Jun 26, 2008
HR.hotness:

Chester hated chicken as well, would take a whiff and walk off in a strop. . . then would go meow pitifully at my flatmtes room till she fed him something else. , . he was too gorgeous for words so no one cld refuse him anything

he loved corned beef, had a favorite brand too, anything else wldnt do. ,

OMG! zing too, He LOVES beef and Salmon, what do now, to trick him, is mix some chicken and liver in between them so he would get some in. My landlord loves him as well, so if he hates what I gave him, he would go there for food, Heard he had his first jerk fish last week and loved it, cheesy cheesy,

These people who hates cats have no idea of the amount of fun they can be,
Re: Cats by HRhotness(f): 2:26am On Jun 26, 2008
Chat2MeBac:

OMG! zing too, He LOVES beef and Salmon, what do now, to trick him, is mix some chicken and liver in between them so he would get some in. My landlord loves him as well, so if he hates what I gave him, he would go there for food, Heard he had his first jerk fish last week and loved it, cheesy cheesy,

These people who hates cats have no idea of the amount of fun they can be,

Chester has everyone under his cute little paws. . .

he goes around with airs, acting like we were all put on this planet to please him. . . its so adorable to watch grin grin grin
Re: Cats by Nobody: 2:44am On Jun 26, 2008
Cats scare me. Infact animals scare me undecided.
Re: Cats by Mesmerize(f): 2:45am On Jun 26, 2008
stillwater:

Cats scare me. Infact animals scare me undecided.

abi o. . even when I walk on the sidewalk and see a lil reptile, they scare the hell out of me. .

I got chased my a hungry cat before. . got bitten by an angry dog. . I hate animals cheesy
Re: Cats by Chat2MeBac(f): 2:48am On Jun 26, 2008
HR.hotness:

Chester has everyone under his cute little paws. . .

he goes around with airs, acting like we were all put on this planet to please him. . . its so adorable to watch grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, LOL, Yea, I know.Had to remind zing I pay the bills here, A friend bought me 2 cyrstal candles( zing probably sensed I hate such things) for my Christmas, I left for the weekend( had one of my landlord's grands come down to feed him etc) and he got pissed I was away. When I came back one of the candles and its holder was on the floor in pieces, Gosh!  I WANTED to put him on "Time out"Then again, how could I? The looks in his eyes just melted my anger,
Re: Cats by Nobody: 3:01am On Jun 26, 2008
Mesmerize:

abi o. . even when I walk on the sidewalk and see a little reptile, they scare the hell out of me. .

I got chased my a hungry cat before. . got bitten by an angry dog. . I hate animals cheesy

In biology class in secondary school, we had guinea pigs as specimens, come and see as one wicked boy was chasing me with a guinea pig angry. I totally disgraced myself. embarassed
Re: Cats by Mesmerize(f): 3:06am On Jun 26, 2008
stillwater:

In biology class in secondary school, we had guinea pigs as specimens, come and see as one wicked boy was chasing me with a guinea pig angry. I totally disgraced myself. embarassed
lmao!!
girl, I like them when they're dead!
I've dissected so many animals it scares the sh*t out of me when they move . . esp when I walk home and see those nasty reptiles and cats staring at me.
A while back, this idiot of a man left his gates open, I didn't know so I walked by it, suddenly a small nasty dog came chasing after me shocked shocked shocked I ran across the street and almost got hit.
The owner was like, "it's ok, it wnt hurt you. he's a nice dog". . m like, I would have sued your ass stupid idot. nice dog my ass angry angry angry
Re: Cats by RbtMugabe: 3:08am On Jun 26, 2008
I, Robert Gabriel Mugabe, also hate cats. smiley
Re: Cats by naijadiva2(f): 3:11am On Jun 26, 2008
RbtMugabe:

I, Robert Gabriel Mugabe, also hate cats. smiley

nice one. cats are creepy. i don't care what anyone says, they are not nice.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Learn Hausa In Nairaland / Oluwo Of Iwo Leads Muslims In Eid Prayer (photo) / Occult Sex Magick The Origin Of Sexual Sin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.