Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,109 members, 7,807,343 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

10 Things You Probably Shouldn't Get Caught Doing At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Things You Probably Shouldn't Get Caught Doing At Work (720 Views)

10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria / 6 People You Shouldn't Get Close To At Work / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Things You Probably Shouldn't Get Caught Doing At Work by kglamour(m): 11:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
When I was in college, I held a few part-time positions as a server and barista, so I’ve
witnessed a few behind-the-scenes gross and sneaky maneuvers. Sometimes, us
waitress folk get hungry, so we snag a fry off your burger plate. Do we feel bad?
Probably not. You’ll never notice, anyway. However, there is a line that can be crossed
in every single professional environment, such as:
1. Looking up pictures of naked people on your computer
Do you remember that episode of Shameless where Fiona, new to the conservative office
environment, starts researching what an uncircumcised penis looks like? It was a
harmless inquiry; Fiona was just helping her best friend Veronica decide whether or
not it’s morally acceptable to do away with a baby’s foreskin, but it didn’t look that way
and office cronies busted her. When you’re at work, try not to Google image body parts.
No matter what the reasoning behind this endeavor is, it will always look bad and these
things are usually traceable.

2. Spitting on a customer’s plate of food
Look. I’ve been there. Customers can be downright cruel and vicious and the
temptation to mess with their food is so high, you’re already feeling better just by
thinking about it. Don’t do it. Not only does that create bad Karma, but if you get
caught, you’ll totally be fired.

3. Listening to really bad music
Okay, technically you probably can’t get in trouble (unless your job has strict rules
about it) for listening to music both good or bad, but do you really want to get caught
listening to Limp Bizkit on your iPod or iTunes?

4. Stalking your ex’s new girlfriend
Work is a time to get away from all the messy drama in your life, not become even
more submerged in it! Try not to let yourself hunch over at your computer to squint at
freshly posted photos of your former lover and his pretty new flame while whispering
curses you Googled. It will make you look crazy.

5. Applying for other jobs.
This is kind of obvious, but I’ve seen it done. Are you surreptitiously typing out cover
letters, downloading resume templates and scrolling through Craigslist like it’s totally
not a big deal? No matter how much your job sucks, suck it up and wait till you get
home to find a new one.

6. Gossiping
I hate gossip when it’s not about celebrities who have reality TV shows or have gone
insane. I know a lot of companies and businesses take gossip and rumors seriously, and
will not tolerate anyone acting like a pissed off 8 th grader. Talking sh*t about other
people is so beneath you, anyway. Focus on yourself and your career. That’s how you
get ahead.

7. Running people over with your car
I guess this is technically not done at work, but if you’re pulling in to your office
building parking lot, don’t run anyone over. Unless you’re Michael Scott from The Office
and it’s Meredith you’ve just ran over; this is somehow okay because it’s Michael Scott
and Meredith. A few days ago, a woman from the UK ran over a cyclist on her way to
work and tweeted about it, resulting in the internet blowing up in her face. Oh, and she
most likely got fired from her job.

8. Scheduling sexy time in between conference calls
I understand that it’s “super hot” to hook up with your boss or co-worker during work
hours and you’ve been dying to do some naughty things on that desk of yours, but
seriously, just save that for some roleplaying at home. Or at the movie theatre. Or
wherever that floats your boat. If you get caught, you could face sexual harassment
charges and utter mortification.

9. Eating seafood leftovers for lunch
Unless it’s a tuna salad sandwich or sushi, never eat fish for lunch. This means
microwaving a grilled salmon or tilapia from last night, and although it was once
probably fresh and delicious, it will now smell like FISH. The entire building will
forever smell fishy and everyone will resent you.

10. Stealing
Whether you work at a cash register, in sales or on the floor, it is never cool to steal
from the company for which you work. There are usually cameras for those kinds of
things and the theft will ultimately be traced back to you, because employees talk and
you might accidentally come in to work wearing something you swiped the week
before. Always be loyal to who you work for. Never bite the hand that feeds you. Simple
enough.

source: http://hellogiggles.com/10-things-you-probably-shouldnt-get-caught-doing-at-work
Re: 10 Things You Probably Shouldn't Get Caught Doing At Work by topsy1971: 12:12am On Sep 15, 2013
Ok
Re: 10 Things You Probably Shouldn't Get Caught Doing At Work by Andyblaze: 1:36am On Sep 15, 2013
thats why its better to be self employed...ph.d

(1) (Reply)

CAUTION: Beware Of These Vacancy SCAMS / Youwin! Training In Lagos. / 7 Reasons Why You Should Not To Be An Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.