Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,355 members, 7,780,952 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:17 AM

What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? (12516 Views)

I Have 1 Million Naira ,pls Advise Me On What Car To Buy / What Car Should I Get? (1.5M, 23 Year Old) / What Car Should A Young Man Get? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by shootsight(m): 11:30pm On Sep 23, 2013
porka:

Your speed limit is higher than the statutory 100km/h maximum speed limit for private cars in Nigeria.

Enforcement is ongoing.

FRSC is yet †̥σ acquire equipment †̥σ nab motorists who exceed speed limits on our roaDs though
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:50am On Sep 24, 2013
Don't be too sure!

There is an NGO that the FRSC and the FG are working with to roll out 10,000 speed traps all over nigeria to help the State generate much needed revenue ( sure you know say there are several revenue shortfalls)

here is the plan - make a lot of noise about speed limiters (and that speed kills) I don't agree sha because i never saw speed kill but i did see speed+impact kill , then get public transport and heavy trucks to use them by force, then start using speed limit enforcement devices against public transport and heavy trucks and maybe also private cars, then generate data that road crashes have reduced because of speed limits on public transport and heavy trucks

then finally ask the question, why the discrimination, if speed limiters are good for public transport and heavy trucks, then all passenger car must have it, and then whip public opinion in favor of an all out speed limiter rollout.

By that time it will be too late to talk.

I guess its time you reached out to your senators to adopt the american model, repeal the one speed limit for all of Nigeria so each state can set its own and then get your state to legislate a higher speed limit than 100km/hr or in the alternative build private roads to cater to our innate need for speed.

Also move road safety to concurrent list in your constitution!

what do you think?

Then they will refer to all the speeds Nigerians have posted on nairaland as evidence why they must act fast to save the nation from speeders like you LOL
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by MSItachi: 2:03pm On Sep 24, 2013
IdaraCHODB: Don't be too sure!

There is an NGO that the FRSC and the FG are working with to roll out 10,000 speed traps all over nigeria to help the State generate much needed revenue ( sure you know say there are several revenue shortfalls)

here is the plan - make a lot of noise about speed limiters (and that speed kills) I don't agree sha because i never saw speed kill but i did see speed+impact kill , then get public transport and heavy trucks to use them by force, then start using speed limit enforcement devices against public transport and heavy trucks and maybe also private cars, then generate data that road crashes have reduced because of speed limits on public transport and heavy trucks

then finally ask the question, why the discrimination, if speed limiters are good for public transport and heavy trucks, then all passenger car must have it, and then whip public opinion in favor of an all out speed limiter rollout.

By that time it will be too late to talk.

I guess its time you reached out to your senators to adopt the american model, repeal the one speed limit for all of Nigeria so each state can set its own and then get your state to legislate a higher speed limit than 100km/hr or in the alternative build private roads to cater to our innate need for speed.

Also move road safety to concurrent list in your constitution!

what do you think?

Then they will refer to all the speeds Nigerians have posted on nairaland as evidence why they must act fast to save the nation from speeders like you LOL

and the result of this would be increased Armed robbery and Car snatching
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by shootsight(m): 5:44pm On Sep 24, 2013
MSItachi:

and the result of this would be increased Armed robbery and Car snatching

Hmmmmm ,,, that's another headache †̥σ worry about. How does one evade armed robbers with a vehicle whose speed has been electronically limited ?
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by IdaraCHODB(m): 2:46pm On Sep 25, 2013
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 25, 2013
If you do 240km/h you would cover the stretch in 10mins

Yassar2688: I Maintained 240 KM/h for good 32 minutes with 2001 Mitsubishi Diamante 3.5 V6, along New Ilorin expressway, Mehn my heart quake when I attempted to slow down, the brake stop functioning.
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by yungboss(m): 8:07am On Sep 27, 2013
I dey Vex!:

Oga, This your speed is not real. First, it is impossible to be doing that speed with your tachometer at over 7000 rpm. You wan break your engine block?

2nd, Your Odometer is showing nothing. I have a strong suspicion that this picture was taken in a car wey don spoil. You used your hands to adjust the speedometer and the tachometer. tongue
it may be real, that is probably a Toyota Camry; it is a 4speed auto...tach could go possibly ad high...
highest I have done is 200km/h
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by 9icetoo(m): 8:43am On Sep 27, 2013
yungboss:
it may be real, that is probably a Toyota Camry; it is a 4speed auto...tach could go possibly ad high...
highest I have done is 200km/h
that was done by a friend.

Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by 9icetoo(m): 8:45am On Sep 27, 2013
cne010: If you do 240km/h you would cover the stretch in 10mins

lol. u just busted that dude.
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by johnwell(m): 9:02am On Oct 13, 2013
Originalsly: Which part of that road has a stretch of 120km for you to drive at that speed?....and in a Mitsubishi Diamante?...was it downhill and in a hurricane?...just asking.

As for his speed, well, I cant say, but if u're downgrading Diamante, my dear u've made a mistake. thats my long distance journey horse, it give me 160km/h in less than 40 seconds..
mine is the VR-X 2004
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by katordidi(m): 6:37pm On Oct 13, 2013
25Calibre:

Bugatti Veyron, the fastest road car, maxes out at about 250-260mph, so except you were driving a Koenigsegg or some beastly Ferrari, I don't think you are truthful.

Attempt such speeds on a UK road (except race tracks), and you'd be chased by a full squad of police men in helicopters and cars and then handed a lengthy jail time.

Do you think you are talking to kids here?
he said kmph not mph
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 7:49am On Oct 30, 2013
There are variations..it depends on how confident u are with ur tyres & brakes, roads too are a pressing factor, I've done 170km/h on my mazda V6 & I was terrified, the best I've done recently is 140(maybe because I haven't gone far with my new car, I'm cruise-control addict, It helps me maintain a particular speed limit(obviously my feet can't do that)
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 7:52am On Oct 30, 2013
katordidi: he said kmph not mph
That guy obviously does not know the difference between miles per hour/kilometers per hour...can som1 pls hand him a distance/speed lesson!
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 8:01am On Oct 30, 2013
Inova: Seeing is believing. Please note that this is not my regular speed. I still like my life.

This is impossible, 200km/h @ 7,000 rpm...besides where the heck is ur odometer?
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 8:48am On Oct 30, 2013
kinguwem: With my C320 mercedes sedan I cruise with ease at a speed of 140-180 Km on any clean road. It negotiates corners with ease even at a speed of 140-160 Km. It accelerates from 0-100 Km/h within 6 seconds. The ride is a machine.
With all due respect, Shut-up...u're allowed to love ur car but don't mislead people, its impossible for ur benz to achieve 100 in 6 seconds,,when its not a ferrari.. capeesh!
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 9:08am On Oct 30, 2013
Temismith: 180-200-km/hr especially wen its raining. :-P
Yeye dey smell...
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 30, 2013
‘Jägermeister’:

With all due respect, Shut-up...u're allowed to love ur car but don't mislead people, its impossible for ur benz to achieve 100 in 6 seconds,,when its not a ferrari.. capeesh!

Relax bro, no need to be so rude.

100 km/h is 62 mph. I don't know what year MB C320 Kinguwem owns, but 0-62 mph in 6 secs is very achievable. MB quote 6.4 secs for the C320 up to 2007. Now allowing for error margin which exists in the speedo of production cars, Kinguwem's claim is pretty valid.

Looks like you too are confusing km/h with mph, despite pointing out the same with 25Calibre. wink

1 Like

Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by auhanson(m): 1:20am On Nov 01, 2013
lonelydora:

Thought u would say In Nigeria! None of our Naija roads can handle that speed.

For me, on any highway - 140km/hr average.
Not that I cannot do more, but that's how I drive to anywhere and considering our roads. Have done 180km/hr before on Abuja - Kaduna

That's not true, A.K.S.(Akwa Ibom State) 4 intercity freeways handles that adequately.
I comfortably maintain 200km/h on this road, and thats the top speed of my ride, c180 MB
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by auhanson(m): 1:46am On Nov 01, 2013
Siena:

You're obviously simply reading, but not taking in what you've read.

Are there only public highways in the UK? Private roads, testing facilities DO exist. And as for the Autobahn, well I'll let you digest a bit, you might just learn something. Read what I posted previously, and S-L-O-W-L-Y this time.

If you're a car enthusiast, and you dont know autobahn and the crazy performances cars does there, then u're lost
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 8:18am On Nov 06, 2013
Siena:

Relax bro, no need to be so rude.

100 km/h is 62 mph. I don't know what year MB C320 Kinguwem owns, but 0-62 mph in 6 secs is very achievable. MB quote 6.4 secs for the C320 up to 2007. Now allowing for error margin which exists in the speedo of production cars, Kinguwem's claim is pretty valid.

Looks like you too are confusing km/h with mph, despite pointing out the same with 25Calibre. wink
My bad though (about my out-burst)...but 100 km/h in a non-super car? Highly unlikely! undecided
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 06, 2013
^^^ Come on Jaeger! Are you saying only supercars can hit 62 mph?? There are hardly any cars these days - including 1.0 litre 60 hp engined-ones that won't top 90 mph (145 km/h).

If you truly believe only supercars can attain (and maintain) 62 mph, then you've got a lot to learn about cars!

I would stop digging yourself in any deeper, say you were wrong, apologise for your outburst and move on.
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by elektra80: 2:43pm On Nov 06, 2013
Siena:
^^^ Come on Jaeger! Are you saying only supercars can hit 62 mph?? There are hardly any cars these days - including 1.0 litre 60 hp engined-ones that won't top 90 mph (145 km/h).

If you truly believe only supercars can attain (and maintain) 62 mph, then you've got a lot to learn about cars!

I would stop digging yourself in any deeper, say you were wrong, apologise for your outburst and move on.

I think what jager meant was 0-100km/hr in 6 secs. We all know even a bajaj motorcycle have hit a speed of 120km/hr.
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by yungboss(m): 3:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
elektra80:

I think what jager meant was 0-100km/hr in 6 secs. We all know even a bajaj motorcycle have hit a speed of 120km/hr.
What's the matter with 100km/h, is it so unattainable that it cannot be achieved in 6secs, in a non-super-car Mercedes? That's not super car number, because an '09 Toyota Camry v6 will hit 100km/h in 6secs, with good traction...
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by elektra80: 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
yungboss:
What's the matter with 100km/h, is it so unattainable that it cannot be achieved in 6secs, in a non-super-car Mercedes? That's not super car number, because an '09 Toyota Camry v6 will hit 100km/h in 6secs, with good traction...

I didn't say 0-100 in 6 secs is not attainable by non sports cars. I was trying to make a correction based on what Siena's interpretation of jagermeister's post. He was talking about 0-100km/hr and Siena thought he was talking top speed.
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by yungboss(m): 6:05pm On Nov 06, 2013
elektra80:

I didn't say 0-100 in 6 secs is not attainable by non sports cars. I was trying to make a correction based on what Siena's interpretation of jagermeister's post. He was talking about 0-100km/hr and Siena thought he was talking top speed.
ok, sorry...i responded with jagermeister's comment in my thoughts.
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 10:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
elektra80:

Elektra u're da man, little wonder u're ELEKTRA.. I certainly wasn't talking about top-speed, it was all about attainable timing within that speed category...offcourse a vw beetle can hit 100 km/h (in 2days)...@ yungboss, trust me pally..toyota's are bad with acceleration especially in cars manufactued in 2000 & below(V6 inclusive)@ Siena, we've had a lenghty talk about dis that I didn't have to include timing...c'mon bro, everyone knows that a typical 4-cylinder can achieve way more than 62mph, anyways...Salute!!!
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by donstefano8(m): 7:46pm On Apr 01, 2018
80 - 120 on normal roads including 3rd mainland bridge.
120 - 160 on interstate highway For Hyundai sonata V6

#60 - 100 on normal roads including 3rd mainland bridge.
100 - 140 on interstate highway For land cruiser Prado.
Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by olumuyi01: 10:06pm On Jan 23, 2019
Young man drive a C320 or google is your best friend it won't lie u have proven videos of C320 that's why d engine is called bullet proof.
Jagermeister:

Re: What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? by Jagermeister(m): 5:52pm On Jan 26, 2019
olumuyi01:
Young man drive a C320 or google is your best friend it won't lie u have proven videos of C320 that's why d engine is called bullet proof.

From how many years grin
Where hast thou cometh?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Toyota Camry: 5 Tips To Keep Your Car Running For A Long Time / Naija MDXers Community: For The Owners, Techs, DIYers, Or Fans Of The X / 17 First Aid Items Drivers Should Have In Their Cars - FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.