Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s (6814 Views)

Dubai Company Buys N48bn Stake In Dangote Cement / Uac Sells 49% Of Food Division To S. Africa’s Tiger Brands? / Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria-Mr Ismail in Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 16, 2013
Famous Brands takes 49% stake in Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s

Famous Brands CE Kevin Hedderwick. Picture: Hotelandrestaurant

FAST-food franchise group Famours Brands has bought 49% of Nigerian chain Mr Bigg’s, giving the South African group its first direct stake in a market where it sees significant potential for growth.

Famous Brands CEO Kevin Hedderwick said the deal "catapults (the group) to a completely different level" in Nigeria, where it has been trading for 11 years through master license and franchise agreements.

Famous Brands is buying 49% of UAC Restaurants, the wholly owned subsidiary of diversified conglomerate UAC of Nigeria that houses Mr Bigg’s.

Mr Bigg’s is the largest food franchise brand in Africa, north of South Africa.

UAC Restaurants has 165 franchised restaurants across Nigeria — 57 of them in Lagos and 14 in Abuja. Forty-five percent of the company’s franchised restaurants and 40% of its revenue is concentrated in Nigeria’s three key commercial centres.

UAC Restaurants also has a small logistics and manufacturing component.

Famous Brands said the deal, which takes effect on October 1, would be financed from its reserves. It did not disclose the value of the deal.

The deal "underlines our ambitious and deliberate plans to grow our business outside South Africa", Mr Hedderwick said.

"Trading in Africa is inevitably about being first to market and we believe this transaction represents a significant step-change through which we will further entrench our leadership position within the branded food service industry in Africa."

Mr Hedderwick said Mr Bigg’s had an extensive on-the-ground presence and huge loyal customer base, demonstrated by the 100,000 consumers who visit the brand’s restaurants daily.

Mr Bigg’s quick-service restaurants are at high foot-fall sites. It sells pastries, snacks, burgers and hot meals, with about 25,000 pieces of chicken sold daily.

"Our immediate goal is to bed down this joint venture and optimise on the evident success of the existing operation and its enormous potential within the Nigerian market," Mr Hedderwick said.

Famous Brands’ other brands include Steers, Wimpy, Debonairs Pizza, Mugg & Bean, FishAways, Milky Lane, Juicy Lucy, O’Hagan’s, Keg, Europa and Fego Caffe.

Source
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by homesteady(m): 10:13am On Sep 16, 2013
Mr Hedderwick said Mr Bigg’s had an
extensive on-the-ground presence and huge
loyal customer base, demonstrated by the
100,000 consumers who visit the brand’s
restaurants daily

LOL! This was back then in 2008 downward!
Mr Biggs is crap now

1 Like

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Tolexander: 10:29am On Sep 16, 2013
Seems mr biggs know they are losing it in nigeria.
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Symphony007: 10:59am On Sep 16, 2013
Sadly, Mr biggs is now the equivalent of mama put.
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Lilimax(f): 11:06am On Sep 16, 2013
Good development.
My desire is that this partnership will bring the much needed turn around in the poor product's
delivery synonymous to MR BIGGS presently.
I have no doubt that in no distance time MR BIGGS will find itself among the leading fast food's industry in Nigeria as it used to be in
80's.

4 Likes

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Okijajuju1(m): 2:32pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mr. Biggs Burgers & Hotdogs remains the best in Port-Harcourt..

I hope this merger would revive what used to be the best Fastfood chain in Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by braine(m): 2:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
Okay
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by mosho2good: 2:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
Can someone please tell me the meaning of Mr Biggs.....

Is it a Boy or a Girl.....
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by idupaul: 2:41pm On Sep 16, 2013
Like joke like joke these south africans would soon own 60percent equity in the Federal Govt of Nigeria..When is a Nigerian firm going to takeover even a small bakery in capetown huh?

1 Like

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by DICKtator: 2:42pm On Sep 16, 2013
At a period that competition has overidden the Biggs brand and junk foods are becoming less attractive, that is when infamous brand are coming on board?

well, that is entrepreneurship/capitalism for y'all

mugu must pay

There is always a ready/available market!!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by guvna(m): 3:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
Welcome Development.
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
idupaul: Like joke like joke these south africans would soon own 60percent equity in the Federal Govt of Nigeria..When is a Nigerian firm going to takeover even a small bakery in capetown huh?
Bros unfortunately nigerians are only good at running down businesses and countries, especially a certain tribe in 9ja.
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by gratiaeo(m): 3:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
taa wetin be Mr biggs where mama Ngozi Ofeakwu dey

2 Likes

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by gratiaeo(m): 3:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
al-qaeda:

Bros unfortunately nigerians are only good at running down businesses and countries, especially a certain tribe in 9ja.
Come Ɣ☺ΰ de fear? Call their name nah
Yoru if Ɣ☺ΰ put ba na Ɣ☺ΰ sabi

1 Like

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by enigmang: 3:15pm On Sep 16, 2013
DICKtator: At a period that competition has overidden the Biggs brand and junk foods are becoming less attractive, that is when infamous brand are coming on board?

well, that is entrepreneurship/capitalism for y'all

mugu must pay

There is always a ready/available market!!!!

grin grin grin grin

Anyhow you look at it.. Mr Bigss have a name sold in naija... All 'famous brand' need to do is rebrand ... Change logo and all.. It's easier to access the chains of restaurants Biggs already have than to start from the scratch building a name..

These are great entrepreneurs .. Trust me they no what they are doing...

1 Like

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Ayohbk(m): 3:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
i hope i made the first page wif dis...,..pls.mods dont ban me dis my first time of doing dis.....check my record................ ............i will comment on the topic later........thanks to ASUU for making dis possible
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by scribble: 3:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
enigmang:
Anyhow you look at it.. Mr Bigss have a name sold in naija... All 'famous brand' need to do is rebrand ... Change logo and all.. It's easier to access the chains of restaurants Biggs already have than to start from the scratch building a name..

These are great entrepreneurs .. Trust me they no what they are doing...

wrong strategy....look at what eatngo africa is doing with dominos and coldstone. mr biggs has lost customer loyalty...i trust famous brands will put debonairs, steers etc to replace the scotch egg and donut culture
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by zynzyn(m): 3:28pm On Sep 16, 2013
I hope it results in better service, facilities management and lower prices.

I hope it doesn't end up like Telkom regret.
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by 1forall: 3:35pm On Sep 16, 2013
Why is that local entrepeneurs fail to see/act on the potential lying under their noses until some foreign entitity does? The Mr Biggs brand has been begging for a makeover for a very long time now and it's a shame that it had to take a South African business to do something about it.

They're obviously going to invest a lot of funds into this venture and when the business is re-done and begins to flourish, I hope the locals won't start moaning over these 'Southies' making mad money from here.

3 Likes

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 16, 2013
In my Area they have Mrs Biggs
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by gbengaobaye: 4:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
MR BIGGS SHOULD WORK ON LOGISTICS.ITS A TRUSTED BRAND.WORK ON SUPPLIES,CUSTOMER SERVICE AND REBRANDING. grin

1 Like

Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by miqos(m): 4:21pm On Sep 16, 2013
you mean mr biggs is still in nigeria?
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by sanandreas(m): 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
i can never go to Mr: biggd again. They sold sour meat pie for me to take home.
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 16, 2013
And in other news, they say 90% live below a dollar. I wonder if na ghost dey buy things for 'Nigerian Market' that every company wanna break into.

idupaul: Like joke like joke these south africans would soon own 60percent equity in the Federal Govt of Nigeria..When is a Nigerian firm going to takeover even a small bakery in capetown huh?
How about you use your google more? undecided
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by sboga: 7:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
end time tins.
Re: Famous Brands Takes 49% Stake In Nigeria’s Mr Bigg’s by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 16, 2013
It's time for KFC to rule Nigeria easily. Good night Mr.Biggs!

(1) (Reply)

Black Nylon Bags (small And Big) In Wholesale Price / Ideas On Monetizing A Website/ Blog . ( Solved,No more PMs pls) / Lagos To Support 3,000 Agricpreneurs In Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.