Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,717 members, 7,805,953 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy (19219 Views)

9 Things To Do Before You Turn 30 In Nigeria / 9 Things You Do Not Need To Be Happy! / Come And See,get Paid $200 Per Person You Refer,join Free <your Money Is Not Need> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by martronilla: 11:25pm On Nov 30, 2013
Gban gban gban o Gban gban gban gban gban
gban Na who dey enter for mummy's house o Daddy
o, Daddy Daddy, when you go for journey
Somebody enter for mummy's house and he sit upon
mummy's bed Person push mummy mummy push
person person push mummy Small time, mummy fall
yakata for bed the man kon dey do kerewa kewa kerewa ho, kerewa kewa kerewa wa
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Nobody: 11:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
Texykool:

Bros...

Dear MonsterTrucks,

Pls don't miss church tomorrow because you want to be FTC.

On top all your shout...

U are not FTC sad

make I laff for Vietnamese
cheesycheesycheesy.Dcheesycheesy
strolls by,with hands in pocket whistling sad angry angry,I have seen one of the witches. angry
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Nobody: 11:27pm On Nov 30, 2013
nice post! cool
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Nobody: 11:28pm On Nov 30, 2013
You guys should please do me two favours; give me a gun and show me the houses of the ASUU NEC members. angry
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 30, 2013
Promhize: U guys don't sleep?
are you typing dis from your dream? Abi you dey fly for night?

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Deschil: 12:34am On Dec 01, 2013
Awesome! Although our joy is only complete in Christ.
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by dasparrow: 4:51am On Dec 01, 2013
Gifted4all: When i read this i knew we still have good writers in nairaland and actually there is hope for our future
Thumbs up op

You make me laugh. Which hope? I don't know why some people just love plagiarizing and then passing off someone else work as their own. Just reading the article and the writing style, I could tell that it was NOT a Nigerian who wrote the article. Unfortunately, arthgideon the OP took MARC CHENOFF'S article that was published on September 13, 2013 on a website called OBVIOUS and passed the information on as his own without giving the original author of the article any credit. Plagiarism can get you in serious trouble in sane advanced countries. I don't know why so many Nairalanders love plagiarizing. Products of a failed Nigerian educational system!

Here is the link to the original article: http://www.obviousmag.com/9-things-you-do-not-need-to-be-happy/2/

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by dasparrow: 5:07am On Dec 01, 2013
@OP (arthgideon)

Do yourself a favor, STOP PLAGIARIZING and give credit to the ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF THE ARTICLE by posting the link to where you got the information from. Not all Nairalanders are daft and can get easily fooled into believing you wrote the article.

The article you are passing off as yours came from: http://www.obviousmag.com/9-things-you-do-not-need-to-be-happy/2/

9 Things You Do NOT Need to Be Happy

By Marc Chernoff on September 2013

Today, as I was walking to a coffee shop in downtown Austin, a school bus stopped in front of me and a little kid waved at me frantically through the bus window. I laughed and waved back. There was instantly a look of surprise and then extreme happiness on the kid’s face just because I waved back to him. This reminded me of how, as children, we need very little to make us happy.

As adults we somehow grow into the belief that we need everything to be a certain way in order to find and appreciate moments of happiness. But the truth is, to be happy we need much less than we think we need. In fact, I believe one of the best feelings comes when you realize that you can be perfectly OK and happy without the things you once thought you needed. And that’s precisely what this short article is about – the things you do NOT need to be happy:
1. Ideal circumstances.

The happiest people do not live with a certain set of circumstances, but rather with a certain set of attitudes. Choosing to be positive and grateful for what you have now is going to determine how you’re going to live the rest of your life. So look for something positive about today. Even if you have to look a little harder than usual, it still exists.

Ultimately, your greatest achievements are moments in time when what you’re doing allows you to see how wonderful your life already is.
2. Everyone’s approval.

The biggest prison you will likely ever live in is your fear of what other people think.

You cannot let other people tell you who you are or what you want. You have todecide that for yourself. When you’re making big decisions, remember, what you think of yourself and your life is more important than what people think of you. Don’t let others make you feel guilty for living your life. It’s YOUR life. As long as you’re not hurting anyone else, live it YOUR way.

Fulfillment and success in life lie in your ability to use your entire mind to achieve your goals, dreams and desires. Take sufficient time to spend with yourself, without external interference. You’re worth it. (Angel and I discuss this in more detail in the “Self-Love” chapter of 1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently.)
3. A perfect past.

Do not let the shadows of your past darken the doorstep of your present and future. Let go, forgive and move forward. Just because the past didn’t turn out like you had hoped, doesn’t mean your future can’t be better than you had envisioned. In fact, we often grow stronger in the places we were once broken. Because it’s not until you’re broken for a while that you truly learn what you’re made of on the inside. And this insight gives you the ability to rebuild yourself, stronger than ever before.

Most of the time the only difference between long-term happiness and long-term despair is not quitting on yourself. As long as you are breathing it’s never too late. Today is a new beginning.
4. Full control of life’s constant changes.

Life is constantly changing and we’re changing with it. We’re not the same person we were a year ago, a month ago, or a week ago. Life’s cycle doesn’t stop. Change is what it’s all about. But every ending is the beginning of something else. Every exit is an entry somewhere else. Live, learn, and let go. Don’t hold yourself down with the changes you can’t control.

Although some forces are out of your control, you can control how you react to things. Everyone’s life has positive and negative aspects – whether you’re happy or not depends greatly on which aspects you focus on. The best thing you can do is to let go of what you can’t control, and invest your energy in the things you can. Live simply, love generously, speak truthfully, breathe deeply, do your best, and leave the rest to the powers above you. (Read The Road Less Traveled.)
5. A carefree, stress-free life.

Great challenges make life interesting; overcoming them makes life meaningful. Don’t wait until everything is just right; it will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what! Get started now! With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more skilled, more confident, and more successful.

Say it: “I am determined to live a happy life no matter my challenges! I will turn all my tales of fury into tales of glory! I will turn all of my tales of woe into tales of WOW!” And no matter what happens, just do your best and appreciate what you’re learning. You won’t enjoy your life if you don’t enjoy your challenges.

6. All the things you don’t have.

You are right here, right now, with what you have, breathing. Enjoy it. You’ve got nothing to do today except to smile.

Happiness is valuing what you have, and enjoying the people, places, objects and events in your life for what they are. It’s not about changing and achieving all the time; sometimes it’s about being and appreciating. And you can nearly always enjoy the things you have and the events happening around you if youmake up your mind firmly that you will.
7. A mountain of money.

If we counted our blessings more often, instead of our money, we would be a lot richer. Keep money on your mind but out of your heart. Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life for yourself. Cultivate your spiritual growth. The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.

Happiness formula = Do your best and appreciate what you have.
Unhappiness formula = Compare yourself to others and the things they have.

It’s nice to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s also important to make sure you haven’t lost track of the things that money can’t buy. You don’t need a lot of money to lead a rich life. Good friends and a loving family are worth their weight in gold. It really is the little things that mean the most… like a long hug at just the right time. (Read The Happiness Project.)
8. Any event happening in another time and place.

Make your time count. Do not wish your moments away. Do not ruin today by focusing on another time and place. There is only now; realize how rich you are in it.

Right now you are creating history – your legacy. Don’t let life slip by without being aware of it. Life works in a strange way: You want something and you work and wait and work and wait, and feel like it’s taking forever to come. Then it happens and it’s over and all you want to do is relive all the great memories you made along the way.

Happiness is the journey. Open your eyes. Don’t miss it.
9. Constant happiness.

The bottom line is that you can’t be happy unless you’re unhappy sometimes. Life is not always perfect, and the utopian world of constant happiness in not natural, nor should you expect it.

In the short-term, your mood will fluctuate, but it is your ability to realize and deal with these fluctuations that allows you to maintain long-term happiness. Any fool can be happy when times are good. It takes a strong soul with real heart to develop smiles out of situations that make most people weep. But it is possible.

Live every day of your life in full. Experience the highs and the lows, the positives and the negatives, and all the moods present between the various extremes. Don’t focus on simply being happy. Focus on living a well-rounded, seasoned life. Focus on achieving completeness. Yes, happiness is part of this completeness, but so is sadness, difficulty, frustration, and failure. And overcoming these latter points supports your personal growth far more than constant happiness.
Next steps…

Choose happiness today by taking life moment by moment, complaining very little, and being thankful for the little things that mean a lot.
Your turn…

What would you add to the list? What do we sometimes forget we do NOT need to be happy? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by taiwastem: 6:40am On Dec 01, 2013
A very good write-up, keep it up.
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by tunde1200(m): 6:58am On Dec 01, 2013
This is fantastic, I like it OP!.

Nice write up
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 01, 2013
OP on point!!!
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by ademega(m): 7:19am On Dec 01, 2013
I enjoy reading ds kind tins on nairaland . Thanks op
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by IAMBREEZY: 7:45am On Dec 01, 2013
Nice write up
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by emmabest2000(m): 7:52am On Dec 01, 2013
arthgideon: 1. Ideal circumstances.
The happiest people do not live with a certain set of circumstances, but rather with a certain set of attitudes. Choosing to be positive and grateful for what you have now is going to determine how you’re going to live the rest of your life. So look for something positive about today. Even if you have to look a little harder than usual, it still exists.

Ultimately, your greatest achievements are moments in time when what you’re doing allows you to see how wonderful your life already is.

2. Everyone’s approval.
The biggest prison you will likely ever live in is your fear of what other people think.

You cannot let other people tell you who you are or what you want. You have to decide that for yourself. When you’re making big decisions, remember, what you think of yourself and your life is more important than what people think of you. Don’t let others make you feel guilty for living your life. It’s YOUR life. As long as you’re not hurting anyone else, live it YOUR way.

Fulfillment and success in life lie in your ability to use your entire mind to achieve your goals, dreams and desires. Take sufficient time to spend with yourself, without external interference. You’re worth it. (Angel and I discuss this in more detail in the “Self-Love” chapter of 1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently.)

3. A perfect past.
Do not let the shadows of your past darken the doorstep of your present and future. Let go, forgive and move forward. Just because the past didn’t turn out like you had hoped, doesn’t mean your future can’t be better than you had envisioned. In fact, we often grow stronger in the places we were once broken. Because it’s not until you’re broken for a while that you truly learn what you’re made of on the inside. And this insight gives you the ability to rebuild yourself, stronger than ever before.

Most of the time the only difference between long-term happiness and long-term despair is not quitting on yourself. As long as you are breathing it’s never too late. Today is a new beginning.

Life is constantly changing and we’re changing with it. We’re not the same person we were a year ago, a month ago, or a week ago. Life’s cycle doesn’t stop. Change is what it’s all about. But every ending is the beginning of something else. Every exit is an entry somewhere else. Live, learn, and let go. Don’t hold yourself down with the changes you can’t control.

Although some forces are out of your control, you can control how you react to things. Everyone’s life has positive and negative aspects – whether you’re happy or not depends greatly on which aspects you focus on. The best thing you can do is to let go of what you can’t control, and invest your energy in the things you can. Live simply, love generously, speak truthfully, breathe deeply, do your best, and leave the rest to the powers above you. (Read The Road Less Traveled.)

Great challenges make life interesting; overcoming them makes life meaningful. Don’t wait until everything is just right; it will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what! Get started now! With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more skilled, more confident, and more successful.

Say it: “I am determined to live a happy life no matter my challenges! I will turn all my tales of fury into tales of glory! I will turn all of my tales of woe into tales of WOW!” And no matter what happens, just do your best and appreciate what you’re learning. You won’t enjoy your life if you don’t enjoy your challenges.

You are right here, right now, with what you have, breathing. Enjoy it. You’ve got nothing to do today except to smile.

Happiness is valuing what you have, and enjoying the people, places, objects and events in your life for what they are. It’s not about changing and achieving all the time; sometimes it’s about being and appreciating. And you can nearly always enjoy the things you have and the events happening around you if you make up your mind firmly that you will.

7. A mountain of money.
If we counted our blessings more often, instead of our money, we would be a lot richer. Keep money on your mind but out of your heart. Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life for yourself. Cultivate your spiritual growth. The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.

Unhappiness formula = Compare yourself to others and the things they have.It’s nice to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s also important to make sure you haven’t lost track of the things that money can’t buy. You don’t need a lot of money to lead a rich life. Good friends and a loving family are worth their weight in gold. It really is the little things that mean the most… like a long hug at just the right time. (Read The Happiness Project.)

Make your time count. Do not wish your moments away. Do not ruin today by focusing on another time and place. There is only now; realize how rich you are in it.

Right now you are creating history – your legacy. Don’t let life slip by without being aware of it. Life works in a strange way: You want something and you work and wait and work and wait, and feel like it’s taking forever to come. Then it happens and it’s over and all you want to do is relive all the great memories you made along the way.

9. Constant happiness.
The bottom line is that you can’t be happy unless you’re unhappy sometimes. Life is not always perfect, and the utopian world of constant happiness in not natural, nor should you expect it.

In the short-term, your mood will fluctuate, but it is your ability to realize and deal with these fluctuations that allows you to maintain long-term happiness. Any fool can be happy when times are good. It takes a strong soul with real heart to develop smiles out of situations that make most people weep. But it is possible.

Live every day of your life in full. Experience the highs and the lows, the positives and the negatives, and all the moods present between the various extremes. Don’t focus on simply being happy. Focus on living a well-rounded, seasoned life. Focus on achieving completeness. Yes, happiness is part of this completeness, but so is sadness, difficulty, frustration, and failure. And overcoming these latter points supports your personal growth far more than constant happiness.

Next steps…
Choose happiness today by taking life moment by moment, complaining very little, and being thankful for the little things that mean a lot.

Your turn…
What would you add to the list? What do we sometimes forget we do NOT need to be happy?
Interesting , @Op Dudu you are on point grin
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Nobody: 8:03am On Dec 01, 2013

2. Everyone’s approval.

You cannot let other people tell you who you are or what you want. You have to decide that for yourself. When you’re making big decisions, remember, what you think of yourself and your life is more important than what people think of you. Don’t let others make you feel guilty for living your life. It’s YOUR life. As long as you’re not hurting anyone else, live it YOUR way.

3. A perfect past.

Happiness is valuing what you have, and enjoying the people, places, objects and events in your life for what they are. It’s not about changing and achieving all the time; sometimes it’s about being and appreciating. And you can nearly always enjoy the things you have and the events happening around you if you make up your mind firmly that you will.

7. A mountain of money.

Unhappiness formula = Compare yourself to others and the things they have.It’s nice to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s also important to make sure you haven’t lost track of the things that money can’t buy. You don’t need a lot of money to lead a rich life. Good friends and a loving family are worth their weight in gold. It really is the little things that mean the most… like a long hug at just the right time. (Read The Happiness Project.)

9. Constant happiness.

Next steps…

Your turn…
What would you add to the list? What do we sometimes forget we do NOT need to be happy?

I don't blame you, I blamed the mod who supported this intellectual stealing by pushing this to the frontpage without requesting for the source. It costs you nothing to give credit to the source of any writing else you are a thief !

http://www.marcandangel.com/2013/09/15/9-things-you-do-not-need-to-be-happy/

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 01, 2013
Thanks a lot op.
This is just what I needed to read or hear.
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Princeugo(m): 8:30am On Dec 01, 2013

2. Everyone’s approval.

3. A perfect past.

7. A mountain of money.

9. Constant happiness.

Next steps…

Your turn…
10: You dont need a woman to be happy: There's a difference between having just a woman and being loved by a woman. It is absolutely erronous for one to think that just any woman makes happiness a reality.
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by Deschil: 11:03am On Dec 01, 2013
OP, acknowledge the real writer of this article. Plagiarism is a violation of intellectual property rights... although I imagine the lack of acknowledgement is just an oversight on your part.
Re: 9 Things You Do NOT Need To Be Happy by johnson1172(m): 2:35pm On Dec 01, 2013
but i love my Rukayya

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cleaner Gets N7,200 Salary Increment For Returning N12 Million / Change Of Name In Newspaper publication / 3 Teenagers Arrested For Attempting To Stowaway In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.