Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? (4245 Views)

Christopher's Cave... / Christopher Okigbo - Reminiscences / Anybody Heard Of Christopher Reich? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by obiem(m): 4:40pm On Jun 20, 2008
Why did you leave me
In this desert
With labyrinths of footpaths,
Without a guardian?
Dee Christopher,
Town crier,
Why did you leave me
On the paths of thunder?

I left you
In this desert
In this labyrinths of footpaths,
on the paths of thunder,
For your baptism.
I left you
To the guidiance of Idoto,
My Muse,
I left you to fight another war.

Do you have to fight that war?
Do you have to strap
Assault rifles
And pebbles of bullets?
There are men and women
Trained to fight that war,
You are a town crier.

Begone apprentice,
I left my gong and stick
At the sacred grotto
Of Mother Idoto
For you and your ilk,
For generations of town criers.

(Late Christopher Okigbo, a renowned Nigerian Poet lived from 1932 to 1968)

The above are the work of a poet, prolific writer short life but with deep impact. Even the Noble Laeurate Wole Soyinka attested to this fact. I shudder when i read his writings , his thoughts evokes a deep sense of conciousness that no other poet i have read about, not even Soyinka(no hard feelings), Death is one ultimate price we have to pay, but the big question is '' under what circumstance''?
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by anneanu(f): 12:12pm On Jun 23, 2008
I LOVE OKIGBO'S POETIC PAINTINGS.
BUT COULD HE BE THE BEST IN AFRICA?
I THINK SO NOT. www.beibee.

FORGIVE MY OBSESSION WITH THAT BLOG!
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by Ndipe(m): 12:29am On Jun 24, 2008
What of Okot P' Bitek, of Uganda? I think he is Africa's greatest poet, but I may be wrong.
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by anneanu(f): 3:10pm On Jun 24, 2008
they are wonderful poets. in this genre it is very hard to say who is the best.
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by blissfullynaughty: 5:11pm On Jun 24, 2008
I am not a poetry buff but I think Wole Soyinka is pretty good (and J.P. Clark). I also think there are many gifted poets outside Nigeria i.e. on the African continent. It is my personal opinion that Okigbo is given so much accolade because he was killed in the Biafra war (I am not saying he was not gifted. All I am saying is it is kinda the martyr syndrome where ordinary folk appear extradordinary and become the stuff of myths and legends).
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by princesa(f): 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2008
i think all poet are talented depending on how you  perceive and understand their writings
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by blackgee(m): 7:01pm On Jul 28, 2008
Every man has a craft in which his life resonates. To conclude that Okigbo is the best of all poets is a judgement made in darkness and dispassion. If you want to know the truth, go get the poetry of Maik Nwosu, and some emerging poets of the 21st century. Okigbo is just among the pioneers. The first aint the best! Sure, I've read LABYRINTH. And had mark out an encyclopedia of lapses in the craft.
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by DeepZone: 6:38am On Jul 29, 2008
Soyinka or Okigbo? Who is better?
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by blackgee(m): 8:26pm On Sep 02, 2008
@DeepZone

Soyinka is brainier but okigbo is more classical. And the fact that he died a martyr made him angelic. Okigbo was killed in the front during the Nigerian civil war of the late 60's.
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by salisuammy(f): 2:00pm On Sep 05, 2008
Okigbo and Wole soyinka may be great writers but they dont represent Africans they belong to the group of writers who make literature difficult for the mind with their use of European terms that betray the Africans. I call Chinue Achebe a great writer cause he represnts his people.
Re: Christopher Okigbo: Africa's Greatest Poet? by blackgee(m): 9:40pm On Sep 10, 2008
@ Salisuammy

Literature needs to be complex 'cos it's an institution. It's like a food. Can you compared white rice and well-spiced one. If literature is a toy, then all nairalanders would've bagged Nobel by now.

(1) (Reply)

RENEGADE 1 (the Night He Was Supposed To Deflower His Girl; His Father Did!) / Tales Of An ASHEWO (18+) / My 100 Level Experience In UNIBEN. (first Semester)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.