Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,315 members, 7,780,765 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:31 PM

Short Story Competition - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition (41256 Views)

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
Hi all,

Welcome to the maiden edition of this Short Story competition. Its open for all nairaland members excluding regular writers at the Literature section; this means that if you have a completed work already (either at the Literature section, sexuality section or Diary section) then you cannot participate in this competition (sorry).

So its going to be for fresh writers (or newbies). Here's an opportunity to test out your writing skills.

The stories are to be posted on an entirely new thread that will be created soon; so indicate your interest here and start preparing your story.

There are just few rules;

The rules are simple: Post a titled short story of not more than 2,500 words in any genre of your choice (Romance, Action, Adventure, Comedy, Crime, Horror, Thriller etc). Stories of sex-plicit contents are not allowed (so one Mazi_omenuko is disqualified already on two grounds).

Submitted work must be an original work from the poster. We, at the Literature section frowns at plagiarism and any work that is discovered not to be original will be disqualified and the poster might get a life-long ban from the Literature section.

The old members of the Literature section are to adjudge the short stories and select five finalist. Each member will nominate three stories he/she feels impressed the more. The nominations will be pooled together and the five stories with the highest nomination gets to the final round.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:34pm On Sep 16, 2013
Final round;

The five finalist will be given a date to submit a new story. The scoring system for the five finalist will be different. The old members of literature section will score each finalist's story based on some criteria I will upload later. The finalist with the highest number of points wins the competition.

The winners of this maiden edition will be given an incentive or a small reward from me.

First position - MTN N1,500 recharge card
First runners up - MTN N750 recharge card
Second runners up - MTN N400 recharge card.

Its not much, neither is it all about the reward; its just a little way of giving you back the MB spent on uploading your work.

I know you may be wondering if I will live up to my word. Lol; its ok to think so; afterall, its an online faceless forum. But I'm going to be giving out those recharge cards; and I'm not in anyway going to influence the results. It will be an open grading system and nominations for the finalist will be from all the old members of literature section. I plan to make it a bi-monthly or quarterly competition, so if I don't live up to my promise, the next editions will definitely be a failure; so there's it! Recharge cards for grabs.

Indicate your interest here and start writing.

Submission deadline, Mid-day, 1st of October (that is 2 weeks from the date of publication of this advert lol

NB;- Date is prone to adjustments, pending unforeseen circumstances.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
Interested members

Agrika
Abu mikey
Bestluv584
Oliseh.com
Nastydroid
Damex333
Nduking92
Kslib
Jykell and Hyde
Obinoral
Russigin
Timpaker
Godmother
Amyjustin
Plainmirror
Miss-Fibre
Infoscope
Numero uuuno
Sambroose
Nugges11
Ruby spice
Oma4u
Stillwater
Kanechimex
T-flow
Sammy Hoe
Royver
Tolexander
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
List of Judges...

HumbleByGrace will come up with a list of Judges and will be coordinating the nominations and grading.
Re: Short Story Competition by yemi2plus(m): 7:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
Just a suggestion...

Personally, I think Newcomers with completed stor(ies) should also be given the chance to prove themselves. As you may know, not all newcomers in this section are professional or close to that yet. Maybe you should re-consider.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 16, 2013
I no dey Nigeria oh! Wetin I fit use MTN 'richard kard' for hiare?? sad sad
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
ReineViolet: I no dey Nigeria oh! Wetin I fit use MTN 'richard kard' for hiare?? sad sad

I was going to include that. Well, you can will it out to any of your friends here in Nigeria. N1500 is less than $10 and cost of transferring money is too much.

So, for those outside Nigeria, there's nothing much I can do. You can participate, then when (if) you win, you can will it out to any of your online friends, even if they are nairalanders; just for fun.

2 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 8:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
yemi2plus: Just a suggestion...

Personally, I think Newcomers with completed stor(ies) should also be given the chance to prove themselves. As you may know, not all newcomers in this section are professional or close to that yet. Maybe you should re-consider.

Hmm...I will have to think about it.
Re: Short Story Competition by yemi2plus(m): 8:07pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Hmm...I will have to think about it.
okay then.
Re: Short Story Competition by Oahray: 8:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

I was going to include that. Well, you can will it out to any of your friends here in Nigeria. N1500 is less than $10 and cost of transferring money is too much.

So, for those outside Nigeria, there's nothing much I can do. You can participate, then when (if) you win, you can will it out to any of your online friends, even if they are nairalanders; just for fun.
Reine can I be your new best friend? Looks like I'm a bit disqualified sad

1 Like

Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 8:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
Oahray: Looks like I'm a bit disqualified sad

You will stick around to post your nominations and final scores.
Re: Short Story Competition by demelza: 8:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
Why only MTN recharge cards?
What of other networks?
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 8:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
demelza: Why only MTN recharge cards?
What of other networks?

I will give you the equivalent of the card worth you won in any network of your choice; are you in?
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 8:39pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nice idea..
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by demelza: 8:41pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

I will give you the equivalent of the card worth you won in any network of your choice; are you in?
No sire!
I am just watching out for the interest of other network subscribers.
Re: Short Story Competition by Mynd44: 8:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
How will you handle old writers opening new handles to compete?

2 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
This is a nice platform for me to brush up my writing skills, owkay since se.xplicit act is out of it, then i am in it. Am participating. Hope am not disqualified o.
Re: Short Story Competition by olisehcom(f): 8:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
I am interested.
Hope am qualified
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mynd_44: How will you handle old writers opening new handles to compete?

I don't have facilities for that, and honestly, won't be breaking my head over that. Its just a matter of honor and principle.
However, submissions from handles registered after this thread has been created will not be accepted. That way, anyone that sees this thread and rushes to create a new handle won't be accepted.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
oliseh.com:
I am interested.
Hope am qualified

Yes, you are qualified to enter. The only work you have at the Lit section is yet to be completed, so you're qualified to participate.

Goodluck.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 16, 2013
Oahray: Reine can I be your new best friend? Looks like I'm a bit disqualified sad

Sure you can grin grin. Bestie, they have disqualified us before the competition began... angry grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by Nduking92(m): 9:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mua go like book for reservation.am in,hope form go reach me mazi?
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 9:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
I YAM hinterested...
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Hmm, I win something to give it out....dayum....Well not bad though, lemme just kukuma disqualify myself to gie others a chance to win. cool cool
Re: Short Story Competition by Nastydroid(m): 9:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
I am interested

lemme see if I can write something sef
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 16, 2013
If the time for selection isn't up, I'd like to participate.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 10:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
I've updated list of those that indicated interest. The floor is still open.
Re: Short Story Competition by chistar01(m): 10:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
Cool initiative.
Re: Short Story Competition by Dygeasy(m): 10:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
yemi2plus: Just a suggestion...

Yemi Wants To Win Recharge Card. gringringrin

Nice Suggestion Btw.
Re: Short Story Competition by timpaker(m): 11:18pm On Sep 16, 2013

I'm very much interested (not cuz of the recharge card) cuz I think I have a talent I need to unmask especially in story writing.

If work permit, I might meet up with the deadline
Re: Short Story Competition by Vivly(f): 11:28pm On Sep 16, 2013
I'm still thinking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

My Book Of Quotes / The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. / Line In Between: An Interracial Christian Romance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.