Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,470 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. (2387 Views)

Opinion!! Was President Buhari Visit To America A Flop? / Jonathan Doesn’t Deserve North’s Votes After Wife Abused Northerners – Mrs Buhar / Nigerians: We Are Racists! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Gbawe: 6:01am On Sep 17, 2013
http://news.sky.com/story/1142271/miss-america-faces-abuse-over-indian-descent

Miss America Faces Abuse Over Indian Descent
Some people on Twitter accused Nina Davuluri of not being American while others said she was an Arab and looked like a terrorist.12:03pm UK, Monday 16 September 2013

Miss America winner Nina Davuluri

By Sky News US Team
Nina Davuluri has been hit with Twitter abuse after becoming the first woman of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America.

After her victory in Atlantic City, the 24-year-old beauty queen, who was born in Syracuse, New York, and is believed to be a practising Hindu, said: "I'm so happy this organisation has embraced diversity.

"I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America."

But others were not so happy with the success of the New Yorker, who wants to be a doctor and is applying to medical school with the help of a $50,000 (£31,000) scholarship she won as part of the pageant title.

Some people accused her of not being American, others said she was an Arab and looked like a terrorist.

One Twitter user, DallasRobinson8, wrote: "I am literally soo mad right now a ARAB won. #MissAmerica"

Jakeamick5 added: "How the **** does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots"

Emi_adkins said: "It's called Miss America. Get outta here New York you look like a terrorist. #bye #americanforamerica"

And another user said: "Well they just picked a Muslim for Miss America. That must've made Obama happy. Maybe he had a vote."

Others took to Twitter to defend her, however.

TonySals93 said: "I can't believe people are tweeting racist things about our new crowned Miss America! People like that need to vanish. #MissAmerica"

Another user, Aashkey, tweeted: "A country full of racists. That is America. #MissAmerica"

CJlovebug said: "This world is so ignorant. #MissAmerica Indian or not had every right to gain the title of MissAmerica. This is why I want to leave America!"

And GucciMessiah tweeted: "So Indians and Arabs are the same now? O for sure.. #MissAmerica"

Ms Davuluri, whose talent routine was a Bollywood fusion dance, brushed aside the negative comments about her.

"I have to rise above that," she said. "I always viewed myself as first and foremost American."

Her grandmother said she cried with delight when she saw the news on television.

"I am very, very happy for the girl. It was her dream and it was fulfilled," said 89-year-old V Koteshwaramma, speaking by phone from her home in the city of Vijaywada in eastern India.

She said there were numerous doctors in the family, both in the US and India, and if her granddaughter wanted to become one "I am sure she will do it".
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Gbawe: 6:04am On Sep 17, 2013
One word: repellent.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 17, 2013
Hypocrites!

Who among those making those stuvpid comment is a Native American?

Children of settlers...!

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Rossikk(m): 6:57am On Sep 17, 2013
In a way it serves the girl right. Hope this news gets to India, where her people would similarly show their racist colours if a black girl was crowned Miss India.

2 Likes

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by dayokanu(m): 7:01am On Sep 17, 2013
Those who typed the racist comments too their parents came from Europe
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by demelza: 7:16am On Sep 17, 2013
Rossikk: In a way it serves the girl right. Hope this news gets to India, where her people would similarly show their racist colours if a black girl was crowned Miss India.
My exact sentiments. I would love to see if Indians themselves would have any moral justification to rail against those racists especially when one considers their caste system.
Besides I dont think she would have won anything like this back at home because she's somewhat dark-skinned.

2 Likes

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Licensed2Kill(m): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2013
I still wanna go there. . .and maybe win mr america. . .no retreat, no surrender!
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nuzo1(m): 7:47am On Sep 17, 2013
Even tho the Indians elected a Dalit (black Indian) as their president for political correctness, I'm not sure they can conveniently crown a Dalit as Miss India without an uproar.....Not to talk of crowning a foreign decent.

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by cashkid18(m): 7:53am On Sep 17, 2013
dont knw wat to type!! cn sumbody help me please
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 17, 2013
Nigerians are a funny bunch, they are not disgusted by the racism/tribalism/bigotry in Nigeria and they are looking at america lol. Remove the log of wood in your eyes first before seeing the speck of dust in someone else's.

6 Likes

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 17, 2013
liberty300: Nigerians are a funny bunch, they are not disgusted by the racism/tribalism/bigotry in Nigeria and they are looking at america lol. Remove the log of wood in your eyes first before seeing the speck of dust in someone else's.
Exactly. The first people that commented on this thread are one of the biggest tribal bigots on Nl. See them. *spits*

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Gbawe: 8:37am On Sep 17, 2013
Rossikk: In a way it serves the girl right. Hope this news gets to India, where her people would similarly show their racist colours if a black girl was crowned Miss India.

I am not surprised by your shallow and offensive comment at all because you are nothing but a racist with no depth whatsoever and perpetually incapable of being part of the solution. Whatever is happening in India does not "serve the girl right" because she is American born and bred and should not face such ignorant and nauseating abuse from racists and bigoted losers who, perhaps like you, have probably embraced hate to mask an inability to compete, thrive and be happy. In terms of what matters, i.e being an American Beauty, how is she deficient against others for reasonable people?

It shows the manner of human being you are when you do not know this particular American personally yet insist the abuse "serves the girl right" for what is going on in India she cannot be blamed for and that she may even personally be fiercely opposed to!!! Your immaturity is astounding yet such is expected when deep prejudice destroys common sense and a commitment to equity for all individuals at all times .

After her victory in Atlantic City, the 24-year-old beauty queen, who was born in Syracuse, New York, and is believed to be a practising Hindu, said: "I'm so happy this organisation has embraced diversity.

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Gbawe: 8:46am On Sep 17, 2013
demelza: My exact sentiments. I would love to see if Indians themselves would have any moral justification to rail against those racists especially when one considers their caste system.
Besides I dont think she would have won anything like this back at home because she's somewhat dark-skinned.

Nuzo':
Even tho the Indians elected a Dalit (black Indian) as their president for political correctness, I'm not sure they can conveniently crown a Dalit as Miss India without an uproar.....Not to talk of crowning a foreign decent.

To be honest, I really don't see what this focus on India is about for anyone who, first and foremost, accepts completely that this Lady is American and should be entitled to privileges every American should enjoy as a matter of legitimacy.

It is those who do not accept her as American who racially abuse here same as it is also those who do not understand we are talking of someone born and bred in America who would make this about India. This is not about India at all. This is about the racism of the USA and equitable minds will separate issues appropriately.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Smooyis(m): 8:46am On Sep 17, 2013
Regardless of colour, creed or race, we are all one. Jesus is Lord of all!
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nomski0(f): 8:48am On Sep 17, 2013
I keep saying that racism and tribalistic attacks can never disappear from the world completely. The poor girl would just be crushed about it. But she's a really pretty girl...and a future doctor. #teamdoctor. She should let the haters kiss nak.ed wire jare. Enjoy your crown my dear.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by AbuMikey(m): 8:57am On Sep 17, 2013
Racism is still with us. But it is up to us to prepare our children for what they have to meet, and, hopefully, we shall overcome.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by homesteady(m): 8:58am On Sep 17, 2013
Hypocrites!
If they should crown a white girl as Miss Nigeria, would you people be happy?
Even now that because Anna Banner from Bayelsa won the MGBN, igbo's and yorubas are complaining! Then talk-less of when a white girl wins it!

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by sEyi6: 9:00am On Sep 17, 2013
liberty300: Nigerians are a funny bunch, they are not disgusted by the racism/tribalism/bigotry in Nigeria and they are looking at america lol. Remove the log of wood in your eyes first before seeing the speck of dust in someone else's.

I am sure the op that created the thread is not a tribalist, as a matter of fact I have read comments from him that are against been a tribalist. So I don't think he should be condemned for being against racism.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by demelza: 9:00am On Sep 17, 2013
Gbawe:

To be honest, I really don't see what this focus on India is about for anyone who, first and foremost, accepts completely that this Lady is American and should be entitled to privileges every American should enjoy as a matter of legitimacy.

It is those who do not accept her as American who racially abuse here same as it is also those who do not understand we are talking of someone born and bred in America who would make this about India. This is not about India at all. This is about the racism of the USA and equitable minds will separate issues appropriately.
I agree with your assertions but she is an American who still holds on to her Indian heritage. Infact she gave an interview where she talks of speaking with her grandmother and family who are still resident in India. Thats where the India angle comes in.
It is sad that she's being subjected to racial abuse but one cant help but think of her native country where girls like her are discriminated against and called ugly just because of the colour of thier skin.
Just like Obama, if her win can bring attention to the very racist nature of India then its all good.

2 Likes

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Gbawe: 9:03am On Sep 17, 2013

You have a point but I think such is separate to what is the central issue here which, slice and dice it as you will, has nothing to do with Nigeria.
The bottom line is that Americans should not be doing this against someone born and bred in the USA. When I started this thread I wanted contributions that is not centred around Nigeria and India.

I was hoping -African-Americans or Nigerians based in the USA would tell us what is behind this ugly and repellent abuse of a person who, by all means of ascribing citizenship, is an American. I personally believe race relationship and tolerance is worsening in America and it would be nice if we can look at issues from that perspective without dragging Nigeria into the discussion since Nigeria has nothing to do with the racial abuse this lady received.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 17, 2013

This isn't just about racism. I bet most of the people making this slanderous remarks are envious american females. The babe deserves the crown. She is a true beauty queen with a brain! They can keep hating all they want...

3 Likes

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 17, 2013
homesteady: Hypocrites!
If they should crown a white girl as Miss Nigeria, would you people be happy?
Even now that because Anna Banner from Bayelsa won the MGBN, igbo's and yorubas are complaining! Then talk-less of when a white girl wins it!
We all know that the MBGN winner was a fraud! Miss Bayelsa didn't deserve the crown. The retardeeen and Dickson rigged it. Typical of PDP.

grin

Vanessa Williams was also racially abused when she became Miss America. Even the KKK threatened her life! It's a normal thing in America which is wrong anyway.

2 Likes

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by mysticgal(f): 9:16am On Sep 17, 2013
smh when would the world learn to embrace all tribes and tongues,and they would say,don't discriminate while litte things such as this shove them up.this babe deserve the crown
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Gbawe: 9:19am On Sep 17, 2013
demelza: I agree with your assertions but she is an American who still holds on to her Indian heritage. Infact she gave an interview where she talks of speaking with her grandmother and family who are still resident in India. Thats where the India angle comes in.
It is sad that she's being subjected to racial abuse but one cant help but think of her native country where girls like her are discriminated against and called ugly just because of the colour of thier skin.
Just like Obama, if her win can bring attention to the very racist nature of India then its all good.

Gracious response and I appreciate your standpoint better now. Nonetheless, her plight is one any of us or our children can suffer. I think it is retrogressive to myopically focus on the origin and different culture of others as a way of disenfranchising and putting them down. If she is an American with a strong connection to India, the origin nation of her family, then that should not be an issue if we all key into the ethos of how modern society must be built along the lines of 'live and let live' for all productive citizens. I.e the category of people who , wherever they are from originally, matter most.

The issue is that Americans should introspect on why a lady born and bred in the USA should be racially abused and 'disclaimed', in 2013, by other Americans. What is the superior sense of entitlement based on?
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by BabaEleko(m): 9:26am On Sep 17, 2013
Abeg who get this girlie number?
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Gbawe: 9:30am On Sep 17, 2013
berem: We all know that the MBGN winner was a fraud! Miss Bayelsa didn't deserve the crown. The retardeeen and Dickson rigged it. Typical of PDP.

grin

Vanessa Williams was also racially abused when she became Miss America. Even the KKK threatened her life! It's a normal thing in America which is wrong anyway.

I think this is the crux of the matter. American is proud of its identity as an "example" for all others as per everything desirable and laudable. It would be good if the loquacity the nation uses to promote itself as 'virtuous above others' is now similarly deployed to explain this very ugly development.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by bethnals: 9:39am On Sep 17, 2013

lol, funny thing is theres more so called 'dark' or 'black' people in India than Naija sef.

but im not suprised oyinbo are the least friendly/open in this world. They are just good at 'marketing' their racism in one form or the other. Same way they 'market' their corruption lol.

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by fr3do(m): 9:42am On Sep 17, 2013
Wait a minute
america is not racially abusing her
its just a few americans on twitter.
One should consider their posts when it is in hundreds of thousands.

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by demelza: 9:46am On Sep 17, 2013
Gbawe:

I think this is the crux of the matter. American is proud of its identity as an "example" for all others as per everything desirable and laudable. It would be good if the loquacity the nation uses to promote itself as 'virtuous above others' is now similarly deployed to explain this very ugly development.
I am sorry but this is akin to going on a wild goose chase. We all awaited this explanation when Barack Obama won the US elections and was subjected to one of the worst racist taunts ever. You know that there is no victory any persons of colour can achieve that can be compared to that.
It seems Americans have racial tendencies deeply embedded in their genes that just makes them automatically react when someone who isnt pale succeeds. Even if they sound quite ridiculous.
Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by bethnals: 9:50am On Sep 17, 2013
fr3do: Wait a minute
america is not racially abusing her
its just a few americans on twitter.
One should consider their posts when it is in hundreds of thousands.

when oyinbo commits a 'terrorist attack' its only that lone mad oyinbo that gets the blame:

If it is a coloured then all the coloureds get the blame: i.e. Coloureds get painted with same brush!

1 Like

Re: America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 17, 2013
There have been six other African-American winners of this title since Vanessa Williams won it in 1984, so it is important we understand the Islamophobia which informs many of the comments in that article. That Nina Davuluri is being subjected to the kind of acrimony usually reserved for folks from the middle-east, lends credence to the belief that your average Yank still finds it hard to differentiate between an Indian, Arab and a Somali.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Insane Conspiracy Theories About The New World Order / APC Deceiving Nigerians - Dr Olusegun Mimiko / Buruji Kasham's Arrest By NDLA Is Illegal - Court Rules

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.