Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,874 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes (778 Views)

#goldenglobes: - Photos From The Golden Globes Awards 2016 + Full List Of Winner / Ay 30 Days In Atlanta Wins 4 Awards At Golden Movie Awards (pics) / Full List Of Nominees For The 71st Annual Golden Globes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by Jayboy124: 8:21am On Sep 17, 2013
I know there aren't too many Woody Allen fans but for those who are fans, which of his movie(s) is(are) your best? And who are your best Woody Allen characters?

And of course, congrats to the true American artist. An honour well deserved.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by Briareos(m): 1:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
I like Midnight in Paris, Vicky and Christina in Barcelona.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 7:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
Woody Allen is d greatest scriptwriter ever. I love all his movies..talking about loneliness, death, God. His humor is epic!!!
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by prof800(m): 7:40pm On Sep 17, 2013
mufex: Woody Allen is d greatest scriptwriter ever.
Ehn..Ehn.. Oga mufex.,
I thought you were a fan of Charlie Kauffman na...?
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by sholay2011(m): 8:33pm On Sep 17, 2013
mufex: Woody Allen is d greatest scriptwriter ever.

....Or maybe Quentin Tarantino/David O. Russell. You never know...

Btw, I love Woody's movies: simple plots told in an artistic way and with interesting characters. My favourites are: 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' and 'Midnight in Paris'. But I guess I've not seen his best: "Annie Hall".

His new movie 'Blue Jasmine' is currently garnering positive reviews, especially for actress Cate Blanchett. Looking forward to seeing that.

An award well-deserved.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by sholay2011(m): 8:35pm On Sep 17, 2013
Double post.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 11:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
prof800:
Ehn..Ehn.. Oga mufex.,
I thought you were a fan of Charlie Kauffman na...?
kauffman makes highly imaginative films, but Woody Allen is a god. I think he's d original heir of Ingmar Bergman and Akira kurosawa.
I believe it is so difficult to make movie without violence..or sound effects. He makes his movies on wits...exploring metaphysical questions such as silence of God, loss of faith, the tormenting inability of humans to communicate.
He is arguably the greatest living filmmaker.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 11:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
sholay2011:

....Or maybe Quentin Tarantino/David O. Russell. You never know...

Btw, I love Woody's movies: simple plots told in an artistic way and with interesting characters. My favourites are: 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' and 'Midnight in Paris'. But I guess I've not seen his best: "Annie Hall".

His new movie 'Blue Jasmine' is currently garnering positive reviews, especially for actress Cate Blanchett. Looking forward to seeing that.

An award well-deserved.
tarantino writes very good dialogue, but his movies are sometimes annoying..
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by sholay2011(m): 11:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
mufex: tarantino writes very good dialogue, but his movies are sometimes annoying..
You simply don't enjoy Tarantino's style...maybe because of the way he explores violence. Tarantino movies are better than that of Woody...hope you know?

Compare 'Inglorious Basterds, Pulp fiction, Django Unchained' to 'Midnight in Paris, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Match point'.

Woody is mainly an exceptional scriptwriter but Tarantino is very gud in many areas. Another person is David O. Russell.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 12:27am On Sep 18, 2013
David o. Russell is good, but he isn't in woody allen and tarantino standard. Don't get me wrong tarantino is good. But he coaxes and lures audience with a likeable character. I think pulp fiction was genius. The rest of his works, in my opinion, were ordinary...'Kill bill' disgusted my eyes.

I would recommend some woody Allen films to you..try and watch...Annie hall, Manhatta, Broadway Danny Rose, Hannah and her sisters.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by Briareos(m): 12:37am On Sep 18, 2013
mufex: David o. Russell is good, but he isn't in woody allen and tarantino standard. Don't get me wrong tarantino is good.But he coaxes and lures audience with a likeable character. I think pulp fiction was genius. The rest of his works, in my opinion, were ordinary...'Kill bill' disgusted my eyes.

I would recommend some woody Allen films to you..try and watch...Annie hall, Manhatta, Broadway Danny Rose, Hannah and her sisters.

A good movie is all about the story. The story is all about the characters.

Woody and QT operates on a totally different genre but nothwithstanding, QT is the better filmmaker. And Woody; the better script writer.

QT challenges your mind with his use of dialogue, story structure, and dramatic sound.

Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction, imho, remain his best works.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 12:40am On Sep 18, 2013
Sholay, have u heard of David mann? Director of heat, Ali, and public Enemy? He makes violent movies I can relate to.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 12:42am On Sep 18, 2013
Okay, may be. It is just me. I can't relate to his movies.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by Briareos(m): 12:47am On Sep 18, 2013
mufex: Okay, may be. It is just me. I can't relate to his movies.

He is one of the few filmmakers left NOT afraid to express himself fully no matter what it takes.

He exhibits the kind of boldness Alfred Hitchcock exhibited when he decided to show a flushing toilet for the very first time in PSYCHO!

I love Nolan to pieces, but he is holding back far too much.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by sholay2011(m): 12:54am On Sep 18, 2013
mufex: David o. Russell is good, but he isn't in woody allen and tarantino standard. Don't get me wrong tarantino is good. But he coaxes and lures audience with a likeable character. I think pulp fiction was genius. The rest of his works, in my opinion, were ordinary...'Kill bill' disgusted my eyes.

@the bolded...you can't be serious! I don't believe you know much about David O. Russell. He may not have a lot of films to his credit but he operates with a unique but versatile style.

Go watch: Three kings, I heart Huckabees, The fighter, Silver linings playbook.

He has done both comedy and drama successfully and creates a lot of interesting characters. I still don't believe you know much about him. Woody Allen is well-known for creating interesting female characters...Tarantino does so for male characters most tyms but David creates very interesting male and female xters.

His next movie : "American Hustle" comes out Dec 25. It's expected to be oscar frontrunner for 2014 best picture.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 12:59am On Sep 18, 2013
grin
sholay2011:
@the bolded...you can't be serious! I don't believe you know much about David O. Russell. He may not have a lot of films to his credit but he operates with a unique but versatile style.

Go watch: Three kings, I heart Huckabees, The fighter, Silver linings playbook.

He has done both comedy and drama successfully and creates a lot of interesting characters. I still don't believe you know much about him.

His next movie : "American Hustle" comes out Dec 25. It's expected to be oscar frontrunner for 2014 best picture.
grin.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 1:04am On Sep 18, 2013
I have to admit that I have watched just one of his movies, 'silver linings playbook' which was very good.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 1:07am On Sep 18, 2013
Briareos:

He is one of the few filmmakers left NOT afraid to express himself fully no matter what it takes.

He exhibits the kind of boldness Alfred Hitchcock exhibited when he decided to show a flushing toilet for the very first time in PSYCHO!

I love Nolan to pieces, but he is holding back far too much.
Yea, Nolan is really holding back.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by prof800(m): 6:25am On Sep 18, 2013
Okay, I believe WOODY ALLEN is not in the same league as the other writers/directors that we have mentioned. The dude is an old timer.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by Jayboy124: 9:29am On Sep 18, 2013
sholay2011:
You simply don't enjoy Tarantino's style...maybe because of the way he explores violence. Tarantino movies are better than that of Woody...hope you know?

Compare 'Inglorious Basterds, Pulp fiction, Django Unchained' to 'Midnight in Paris, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Match point'.

Woody is mainly an exceptional scriptwriter but Tarantino is very gud in many areas. Another person is David O. Russell.

I guess we are all different. I'll see Woody Allen as a better filmmaker. Christopher Waltz made me love Bersterd and Unchained a lot. Tarantino is a great director and writer but for me, Woody's better.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by Jayboy124: 9:33am On Sep 18, 2013
mufex: Sholay, have u heard of David mann? Director of heat, Ali, and public Enemy? He makes violent movies I can relate to.

Michael Mann, not David. And The Heat is one of my favourite heist films of all time. Not because of the actions really but because of the way he created and explored relationships in the film.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by mufex(m): 10:39am On Sep 18, 2013
Jayboy@Micheal mann, my apologies. Mann makes movies where characters are just normal humans trying to adjust to harsh society. No bad guys. No good guys. They are just humans working their socks off to survive, and his dialogue is very poetic.
Re: Woody Allen For Cecil B Demille Award At The2014 Golden Globes by prof800(m): 11:02am On Sep 18, 2013
Jayboy124:
And The Heat is one of my favourite heist films of all time. Not because of the actions really but because of the way he created and explored relationships in the film.
..yea.
The way he created and explored relationships in the film.
Plus the way Al Pacino expressed himself including his Ad libs which were absent in the Original script written by Michael Mann.

(1) (Reply)

Beverly Osu Gets Over Angelo / D H O O M : 3 / How To Differentiate Nollywood (nigerian Movies) From Hollywood Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.