Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:45 PM

Life's Symphony: A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Life's Symphony: A Short Story (10584 Views)

Symphony No. 35 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 8:46am On Sep 17, 2013
Now this is my first topic and writing on NL. I am forever grateful to one person here who spurred me to create this thread. Because prose writing is uncharttered territory to me. Moreover, I am afraid of plagiarism. Hence my reason for not wanting to write in the cyberspace.
The one I am talking about is Sexitee03. Girl, you rock...
To all senior writers, whose works I have been silently reading, viz: Chistar01, Kayemjay, The Rock, Senbonzakura Kageyoshi, etc. I pay my respects. Why? Cos I am but a kid where you all are. Great writers in the republic. I doff my hat(s)....

I pray and hope my life is spared to complete this work, because it is gonna be written straight from my head and with no editting, cos I hate editting my work. I hope you will enjoy it and find it useful. It is just a chronicle of some events that are majorly fictitious and partly reality. If it is kinda dry, please forgive me and lemme know.

Just as my name says, I am Yet To Come.... Ciao!
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 10:12am On Sep 17, 2013
The ringing phone brought him back to reality. He looked at the time on the wall and it told him that he had gone for twenty five minutes! He got up and ambled his way to his bed to pick the phone which was ringing for the second time. He looked at the screen, it was Funmi, his fiance. But can he call her his fiance? With all this hullaballoo that is greeting their relationship. ''Whatever it takes,'' he thought, ''Funmi will be mine.''

He picked the call.
''Salam Alaykum dear,'' Funmi said
''Are you still sleeping?''
''Wa alaykum Salam, I have been awake a long while ago jare. I was just not near the phone, that was why it rang out the first time you called.'' He answered.
''Okay then. I called to inform you that I will be going out today and won't be able to come to your place as said.'' Funmi dropped.
His expression changed from that of a smile and took on a grimmer form.
''Kilode?'' he queried
''Ibo lo n lo? Why today Funmi? All through the week we had been busy at the office and never had time for each other. Eni ti a tun raaye, you are going out again. Tomorrow is the first Sunday of the month, we shall be at a programme, so when do I get to see my fiance and have a heart to heart tete a tete with her? Oga o'' he poured out sadly.
''Ma binu sweetheart mi. It was not my fault now. I didn't want to go but I had to for both of us.'' She pleaded.
''What do you mean by 'for both of us'?'' he asked again smelling rat.
''It's our M. D.'' She said her tone changing drastically from pleading to that of anguish. ''He said I have to accompany him to a luncheon at Eko Hotels''.
''When I said I am busy at home today, he just told me that I should tell you that we can both expect our jobs to be terminated on Monday morning.'' She let out almost crying.
He sighed. He didn't know what else to say. But he said:
''Okay love, just be careful as usual. We will weather this storm through. So ti gbo? I trust you sha. Try to have fun and don't forget that I love you.''
''I love you too Ola. In Shaa Allaah, we will have a way soonest.'' She said before ending the call.

Ola sat on the floor of his room after the call and went back to where he came from before the call- oblivion. He was lost in thought. He thought of a lot of things. Why he? He queried. What did he do to deserve this from the God he had and is conscientously serving? Why is his company's M. D his foe? How will he get out of this unscathed without losing his first and only love?
''God, why now? Wa ko mi moose o,'' he said aloud coming back to the present...
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by obainojazz(m): 12:28pm On Sep 17, 2013
hope ur story go make brain??
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 12:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
Ola's journey in life had been everything but smooth. He had grown up in a family of six, two parents and four siblings. He is the first child and son of Mr and Mrs Adeona. His father had been a civil servant before he was laid off by one of the numerous military government in Nigeria. Since the lay off, things moved from good to bad and then worse for the family. His father had resorted to business which went awry. His mother sold little things with which they kept body and soul together. So, when they moved from a four bedroom flat to a room and parlour in a face me I face you building in one of the town's suburbs, his life was to change from the little butter boy to a rural rugged boy.

If God makes you bald, He will surely compensate you with a beard. Such was Ola's case. What his parents lacked in wealth, their children had in brilliance and obedience. They were contented with whatever their parents, especially their mother could offer them. Their father on his part, is mostly AWOL from home. So, all or most of what Ola had in his brain were updated by his mum.

At school, he mind his business and was even made the head boy in his primary school. He was the cynosure of his teachers' eyes. He won many laurels for his school but he had a flaw, even till date, he hates Mathematics. Give him figures, and he will be there till eternity! He is just too weak in it.

The trend followed him to his secondary school, Remo Secondary School, Sagamu. He was a day student because his mother could not afford the high hostel fee. Hence, he would trek the long distance to school and when the purse allows, he had the luxury of taking public transport.

Such was Ola's background and growing up. It was ingrained in his brain that he can not have anything except education. His mother helped him by buying his textbooks, Maths and English. Nothing other than his books was his priority.

But his life was to change one day...
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 12:48pm On Sep 17, 2013
obainojazz: hope ur story go make brain??

I pray o... Let's just go along
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by obainojazz(m): 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Yettocome:

I pray o... Let's just go along
am luvin it...nyc yoruba mixup....am suggesting u put d english meaning in a bracket...not everybody will undastand it...weldone
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
''Life changing events never alert you before they carry out their activities,'' a colleague once said. This was the case with Ola.

All along, he had always been around girls but had not for once given a thought to them until that day. Why? His mother's words.

They kept ringing in his ears, brain and mind. She had said to him almost on a daily basis that ''you should face your studies o. You know that we are struggling to make ends meet. Don't go near any girl for she will get pregnant o and if that happens, your education and hers will stop and you will suffer the child o. So ti gbo? (have you heard?)''

Hence he lived in dread of the opposite sex until he was in J. S. S three when he learnt about reproduction in school. All day long he thought about what the teacher had said in class, linking it to things he could notice in himself and even his mum! To back it up, the Social Studies teacher came in the second day to teach a topic Ola knew well, The Family, but that day, the teacher made it so practical that he went into the science part of it. Ola left the school that day a changed man. Then he understood what the bad boys in his class, Tunde and Biola, had always been doing with those girls who are willing. There and then, his dread for girls evaporated!

Ola then made up his mind to have his own girlfriend but that which he would not touch down below. Only just to call her mine, he thought to himself.
He began to attract the girls who had always been there just that he didn't notice them. He was always around them now. If he wasn't in his class, he will be in another class in the midst of girls. So that started the journey for him but there was no confidence to take it further than the platonic levels he found himself with them.

Ola couldn't talk to them, and he had no male friends to help him. The ones he had only were there because he taught them and they copied him in assignments. They were bullies who bullied him into submission because his bane was that he was the shortest boy in the class, even in his whole set. He was so short that even juniors mistake him for a junior. It was bad for him. But fate always has a way of changing things for him....
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Therock5555(m): 8:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
Uhm, pidgin+hausa+yoruba+english all in one phone call.

Bros u too much, kip am up.
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 8:48pm On Sep 17, 2013
The rock5555: Uhm, pidgin+hausa+yoruba+english all in one phone call.

Bros u too much, kip am up.

Boss, na u I dey follow o. Pls any form of criticism is allowed o. Thanks.
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 8:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
obainojazz: am luvin it...nyc yoruba mixup....am suggesting u put d english meaning in a bracket...not everybody will undastand it...weldone

noted sir. Thanks a lot. You are highly appreciated.
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Sexitee03(f): 9:19am On Sep 18, 2013
Oooh yettocome! I'm speechless! It's good to know I've touched ur life one way or the other. Thanks for the acknowledgement. Now regarding this story, I can't wait! I pray God will see you too. Just be focused, don't let lack of comments or negative critics spur ur interest. Shogbo? I made my first million out of writing, it was tru a platform like this. Love you brother smiley
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by chistar01(m): 9:44am On Sep 18, 2013
*Chistar is here* following bro.

@sexitee did you say 'million'? Or is that just the perfect use of hyperbole?
shocked
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 9:50am On Sep 18, 2013
Sexitee03: Oooh yettocome! I'm speechless! It's good to know I've touched ur life one way or the other. Thanks for the acknowledgement. Now regarding this story, I can't wait! I pray God will see you too. Just be focused, don't let lack of comments or negative critics spur ur interest. Shogbo? I made my first million out of writing, it was tru a platform like this. Love you brother smiley

Sister you are highly appreciated jare. Me go try finish am by His grace. I dey write to build my story writing aspect cos I am naturally a poet. And writing never fetch me money because poetry is not appreciated here in Nigeria. But its good to know that story writing pays off. I appreciate you and others a lot and pray that one day may we meet in peace and may writing fetch us Ego, Kudi and Owo. Thanks again sis, you sure rock! But you no love me reach as I love you o.....
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 10:00am On Sep 18, 2013
chistar01: *Chistar is here* following bro.

shocked

Bro thanks a lot. You move man to tears. Thanks for da support.
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:21am On Sep 18, 2013
Erm....Yetty.....permission to buy land in this thread?
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Sexitee03(f): 10:22am On Sep 18, 2013
chistar01: *Chistar is here* following bro.

shocked

It's not an hyperbole, it's a fact, yes, million, and I was 19yeara old then....
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Sexitee03(f): 10:24am On Sep 18, 2013
Yettocome:

Sister you are highly appreciated jare. Me go try finish am by His grace. I dey write to build my story writing aspect cos I am naturally a poet. And writing never fetch me money because poetry is not appreciated here in Nigeria. But its good to know that story writing pays off. I appreciate you and others a lot and pray that one day may we meet in peace and may writing fetch us Ego, Kudi and Owo. Thanks again sis, you sure rock! But you no love me reach as I love you o.....

Have faith brother. I started as a poet too.. Even from ewi, Yoruba poems. Lol, I don Tay oo
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by chistar01(m): 10:36am On Sep 18, 2013
Sexitee03:

It's not an hyperbole, it's a fact, yes, million, and I was 19yeara old then....
wow...
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 10:58am On Sep 18, 2013
@ Jeffreyjamez. How many plot? Take stone measure am.
@ Chistar. I wow too.
@ Sexitee. How much u go come dash me and Chistar now? We need it o. Chistar abi no be so?

Update coming soon....
Network thinz o....
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Clemzy16(m): 11:07am On Sep 18, 2013
Following, nice story brother. I'm enjoying it.
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:07am On Sep 18, 2013
LoL gimme 1acre....cos na Mansion I wan build o.....
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 11:35am On Sep 18, 2013
''All stand! Greet'' thundered the class captain.
''Good Morning sir, you are welcome to the Arts class sir, God bless you sir,'' chorused his class mates.

Ola was sitting in front of the class. His dis advantaged height was the cause but it also benefitted him in more ways than one, though, when it came to the time of cane rainfall, he receives it the worst because the teachers' energy is always at the fullest bar and starts with him.

He had looked forward to this day when he will start wearing the much coveted trousers which literally mean he was a BIG BOY! Immediately after his junior WAEC, he had known he wanted to be in the Arts because he loved reading and also because he knew he would fail Maths. Hence, the science class is out. Commercial is also out because he cannot face the rigours of financial accounting, calculating the money he won't see or handle! Tu fia kwa! He thought.

So, here he was in the Arts Class! All through his journey to school from home as the bus snaked its way to school slowly but surely, he had been fantasising about who and what it will take to prosper in the arts. He had toyed with different professions in the arts. He had thought of being a lawyer, an educationist, an actor, a writer, and even a professional debater! If anything like that exists...
He had also looked forward to having what he didnt have in the juniors, a girlfriend. At the thought of this, he had grinned then frowned. He thought of how to approach the girl, the money he would spend, the girl's response and lots more.

''I am Mr Frimpong, your Literature in English teacher. Many of you would have heard about me from your senior ones. I don't have room for mediocrity in my class. If you can't cope, then you can leave. And luckily for you, you can't pass through the arts without this subject. So you just have to co operate with me. Am I clear?'' The teacher said, bringing Ola back to the class from his thoughts.
''Any question before I continue?'' Mr Frimpong offered.
Hands shot up. He pointed to a girl seated in the middle rows.
''Your name and question.''
''My name is Adetutu. Sir what is the meaning of Mediocrity?'' the girl said before sitting.
Her voice was what captured Ola's attention and he wondered whether she had been in the school since their J. S. S One days. He thought to himself, 'this will be my girlfriend.'
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Therock5555(m): 12:31pm On Sep 18, 2013
Sexitee03:

uhm, i would be 19yrs on the 23rd of this month and i neva make 100 thousand yet.

Why me na!!!!
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 1:43pm On Sep 18, 2013
@ The Rock.. No be only dey think like dat o. Me sef. At nineteen, I still dey find admission dat time. But sha na work and money sure pass now.
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 1:44pm On Sep 18, 2013
Clemzy16: Following, nice story brother. I'm enjoying it.

Thanks bro. God bless ur hustle
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2013
JeffreyJamez: LoL gimme 1acre....cos na Mansion I wan build o.....

Freedom assured and security guaranteed. Start building.... smiley
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2013
''Who can answer that question among all of
you?'' Mr. Frimpong diverted Tutu's question
to the class floor.

Ola knew the answer because he had been
reading a lot of books and had even started
reading the dictionary! The only thing he
lacks is confidence in a new class. Only a few
of his class mates in J. S. S Three A were in the
arts class with him. Tunde and Biola, his
pestilential bullies and friends were among
the few. Others were faces he had seen only
once or twice.
But something spurred him to raise his hand.
It was the desire to create a first and lasting
impression on the minds of those who are
new to him, the teacher and especially, his
would be girlfriend, Tutu! His hand shot into
the air...

He looked around the class and found that he
was the only one raising his hand. Ol boy, this
people will give me a run for my money o! He
thought.
Then,
''So no other person can answer this
question? Okay, we shall see! Short boy, your
name and answer. Fast!'' Mr. Frimpong spat
out.

Ola was jittery, but he opened his mouth and
luckily for him, he found his voice.
''Sir, Mediocrity mean something of low
quality. Or the act of performing poorly. It is
gotten from the word Mediocre.'' Ola said
and made to sit when he heard...
''Your name, or are you nameless?'' That was
Mr. Frimpong again.
Ola thought he was wrong because the look
on the teacher's face can cause forced labour
to a nine month pregnant woman!

Hence, he shakily said:
''Sorry sir! My names are Adeona Olaoluwa Ibrahim.''
''Sit down Ola'', Mr. Frimpong eased his
tension, yet his heart was pounding furiously.

Then he heard yet again:
''Clap for him. He got it right. And I hope you
have learnt that. That shows he has been
reading and studying.'' Mr. Frimpong praised
him.

The class rang with the clap and Ola could
feel himself in the ninth cloud, he heaved a
sigh of relief. Then he heard, ''Obe Kote! Obe
Kote!!''
There were only a few people who
knew him by that nickname, it's only people
in J. S. S Three A that called the name. He
looked back to see his bully friends, Tunde
and Biola, grinning from ear to ear like one
who just won a jackpot.

The name came from the butcher's knife he
had brought to school in his junior days for
grass cutting since his mother couldn't afford
to buy him a new student type cutlass. The
name had stuck ever since.

Class was over and he had become a star.
Everybody became his friends, especially the
girls. He knew it would happen, they were
around him just for his brain.

He went for break and came back to the class
to find a note waiting for him...
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Danpersie31(m): 2:09pm On Sep 18, 2013
{looking sad and moody}so sexitee u did fastness and quickly rushed 2 comment b4 me ba?Diz story iz superb dnt worry i gat ur back and ll support d story as much as i can wit d commenting
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Sexitee03(f): 2:09pm On Sep 18, 2013
Yettocome: @ Jeffreyjamez. How many plot? Take stone measure am.
@ Chistar. I wow too.
@ Sexitee. How much u go come dash me and Chistar now? We need it o. Chistar abi no be so?

Update coming soon....
Network thinz o....

@yettocome, we have to discuss your editing fear oo. It's a must and it make you better. Shogbo?
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Sexitee03(f): 2:11pm On Sep 18, 2013
Danpersie31: {looking sad and moody}so sexitee u did fastness and quickly rushed 2 comment b4 me ba?Diz story iz superb dnt worry i gat ur back and ll support d story as much as i can wit d commenting

Wetin I do u again? Ema somi lenu ooo.
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Sexitee03(f): 2:13pm On Sep 18, 2013
The rock5555:

uhm, i would be 19yrs on the 23rd of this month and i neva make 100 thousand yet.

Why me na!!!!

Lol, pele, dear, yours will come soon, it was just and opportunity. I had the talent, I had the write platform, I was focused. I was at the right place at the right time doing the right thing. cheesy
Re: Life's Symphony: A Short Story by Yettocome(m): 2:28pm On Sep 18, 2013
Danpersie, you are highly welcum and thanks once again. May God increase His love for we all.

The sexy Sexitee, I have heard you. Thanks again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chances / Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? / Behind The Mask - A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.