Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,962 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:24 AM

What The Bible Says About Homosexuality - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Says About Homosexuality (1906 Views)

self-service Leads To Homosexuality--watchtower / What The Bible Says About Homosexuality / Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 17, 2013

[size=15pt]What The Bible Says About Homosexuality[/size]

Does God love homosexuals? Of course! God loves all people. If you read the home page of this site, then the first line you read was that "God so loved the world...". That means everyone. It also means that Christians should love homosexuals. So why is there such debate and division within churches over the issue of homosexuality?

Society today postures homosexuality as simply an "alternative lifestyle". Disney World hosts an annual "Gay Pride Day". Parades are held to honor homosexuality. Some schools even teach homosexuality as a lifestyle in their sex education classes. If God loves homosexuals, why do some Christians have a problem with these things?

Let's take a look at how God views homosexuality. As has already been stated, God loves homosexuals. God does not, however, love homosexuality. For instance, God says, "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable" (Leviticus 18:22) and "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads" (Leviticus 20:13). God views homosexuality as "detestable" or, as in the King James version of the Bible, "an abomination". Notice also that in the Old Testament, the Mosaic law required that people who committed homosexual acts were to be put to death. Of course, no true Christian today would expect a homosexual to be put to death. Christ came to free us from our bondage under the law. However, anyone who tries to assert that homosexuality is not opposed to God's will, or that homosexuality is okay with God, must go through some severe scriptural contortions to try to prove their point.

Some may say that God only viewed homosexuality as a sin in the Old Testament, but because of Christ's sacrifice, it is okay today. Again, scripture has to be twisted in order to come up with this understanding. Romans chapter one makes it clear that homosexuality is still detestable to God: "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion" (Romans 1:26-27). Notice that these verses equate homosexuality with "shameful lusts", "unnatural [relations]", "indecent acts", and "perversion". Some argue that the verses preceding these say that the people were given over to homosexuality because they did not worship God, but that homosexuality is okay for those who worship God. However, if you read the verses as stated, it is clear that homosexuality is not only a result of worshiping the creation rather than worshiping God, but it is in its own sense worshipping the creation rather than worshipping God.

It is also clear from those verses that homosexuality is unnatural. Men and women were created, very obviously, to connect with one another in a particular way, and not with others of the same sex. One of the most obvious aspects of this is procreation. Men cannot procreate with other men, nor can women procreate with other women. If everyone were homosexual, lacking the medical technology we now have, humanity would have become extinct long ago. If this is how God views homosexuality, yet He loves homosexuals and calls Christians to do likewise, then how should Christians deal with homosexuals and the idea of homosexuality?

Unfortunately, many Christians, including preachers, have taken an approach to dealing with homosexuality that has earned them the titles generally bestowed upon those against homosexuality - homophobic, hatemongers, etc. These people shun homosexuals completely, or make pronouncements, supposedly from God, about how God hates them, among other things. What is truly unfortunate about this is that this reputation tends to spread even to Christians who do not feel the same way, and often hinders our ability to reach homosexuals with God's love. That's right - as Christians, we are called to love homosexuals (this is not romantic love, but true love), just as we would love anyone else. Loving homosexuals does not mean accepting homosexual practices. On the contrary, true love seeks the best for the one who is loved. True love always involves being truthful, even if it hurts, though that "hurtful" truth can be presented in gentle and respectful ways. This leads us to the two facets of the issue of homosexuality that we need to deal with: the non-Christian homosexual, and the Christian homosexual.

If someone is not a Christian, and is involved in homosexual activity, chances are that no amount of preaching is going to change their mind. Their position is fostered by the sinful nature which dwells within, and from which, without Christ, they have no escape. To them, homosexuality is just a lifestyle, whether they believe it is the way they were born, or it is a choice. Society has accepted this stance as well and just serves to nurture their belief that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing. For this reason, the primary goal should be to reach these people with the gospel of Christ. Until and unless they receive the Lord, they will have no reason to seek to change. So proclaiming the gospel to these people is the most loving thing we can do for them.

With the homosexual who claims to be a Christian, they should be shown that, from a biblical standpoint, from God's point of view, homosexuality is a sin. Homosexuality is a sin that destroys their relationship with God, and it is a sin that will destroy their lives. If a Christian who claims to be a homosexual will not respond to our pleas, and to the Bible's admonitions, then church discipline should be enacted, as with any major sin. How do we do this?

Homosexuality is a sexual sin, and can therefore be considered sexual immorality. Paul writes, "I have written to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people - not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. 'Expel the wicked man from among you'" (1 Corinthians 5:9- 13). On the face, this may look extreme, unloving, and even blatantly hurtful, but let us also see Paul's reason: "Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter [referring to the chastening of the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians], I do not regret it. Though I did regret it - I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while - yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done..." (2 Corinthians 7:8-11). So this discipline is meant to bring about a godly sorrow which helps in recognizing and turning away from our sins. If it does, and the person turns from their sin, they should be welcomed back into fellowship. This is truly loving, and loving is what we are called to do.

Let me restate that I do not in any way advocate hating homosexuals (or anyone, for that matter). Only that we must not accept practices opposed to God's will, just because society has deemed it acceptable. I pray that with a lot of love from Christians, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, God will change the hearts of homosexuals to turn from their "detestable" way, and turn to God instead.

For more information on reaching out to homosexuals, for help in getting out of homosexuality, or help for those who have recently come out of homosexuality, visit HOPE for Homosexuals.

Source: http://www.thebiblepage.org/biblesays/homosexuality.shtml

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 17, 2013
Why does this bite you so much? Are you scared or bothered you might be gay? After all, you claim a man lives in you and you love Him.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 17, 2013
aManFromMars: Why does this bite you so much? Are you scared or bothered you might be gay? After all, you claim a man lives in you and you love Him.

Oga,

Its not about biting me... It is about sending the right message. Please read through and learn from there... You can also teach others and lives will surely be saved. For you to talk like this, you know the truth but just want to suppress it.

4 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 17, 2013
ledafaze:

Oga,

Its not about biting me... It is about sending the right message. Please read through and learn from there... You can also teach others and lives will surely be saved. For you to talk like this, you know the truth but just want to suppress it.

The only thing that should be suppressed is your obvious disdain for homosexuals. I'm sure you believe you're better than them... Move on bro, there are much more bigger issues to discuss than one's sexual orientation... I'm guessing you've been celibate. For how long?
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by HezronLorraine(m): 9:06am On Sep 17, 2013
The real message is here.
www.nairaland.com/1421339/christian-still-gay

Believe or believe not.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 17, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: The real message is here.
www.nairaland.com/1421339/christian-still-gay

Believe or believe not.

First of all in making a point, where you stand/starts decides how you want the thread to go... The way that thing starts is just totally off.

First Do you think Christian's are being truthful when they say:Love the Sinner and Hate the Sin. I find christians at conflict with these words.

For those who say a person cannot be gay and Christian, you have no authority to make that statement. A person's Christianity is between them and Jesus; you don't enter into the equation.

And for this, I will ask you to read Revelations 2:1-19. There is nothing as Once Saved, Always Saved... (OSAS) It is a myth that some Pastors that preached it have come to realised that its no true and have said Once Saved, you can fall from grace as it happens... You can ask Hagin and he will tell you. Even though Joseph Prince is still preaching OSAS today, we are praying that he will get to know as Hagin his papa did that there is a moment when people fall from grace ...To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: ‘The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands. “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. ...

No one can lose their salvation. Once a follower of Jesus is truly born again, they cannot be "unborn." Anyone who tells you that being gay will cause you to lose your salvation is being cynical, and could not be any more correct by saying the same thing to themselves for being "unloving Christians"(obviously). Remember the Prodigal Son. He rejected his father, asked for his inheritance before his father was even dead,took the inheritance - and left. When the son was done "squandered his wealth in wild living" he was met by a major famine and realized that even his father's servant ate better than he did and set back home. Can you turn your back on someone any more than that? Did his father stop loving him? No. Does God ever stop loving you? NO. You may even fall away from your faith. Like the prodigal Son, when people realize when they are at the bottom of their rope...depressed, hungry and willing to do anything God says just to be in the lowest part of God's court, God will be searching for their return, still accepting us,still loving us.

From the September 2004 issue of Word of Faith Magazine.

The late Dad Hagin's question and answer session

Question: Do you believe “once saved, always saved”?

I could teach on this subject at length, but I will just briefly explain my answer. There are basically two schools of thought on this subject, and each one dates back hundreds of years. One teaches that once you are saved, you are always saved no matter what you do in life. The other school of thought teaches that if you do the least little thing that’s wrong, you’re out; you lose your salvation.

The real truth of the matter, without going into great detail, is this: If you are born again, you are “in Christ.” The Bible says, “Therefore if any man be IN CHRIST, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new” (2 Cor. 5:17). You can’t continually get in and out of Christ over and over. If you ever get “out of Christ,” you are out of Him forever. That’s the end of it. You can only be born again once.

Now if you are in Christ and you sin, that doesn’t mean you get “out” of Christ. If you sin, you can be forgiven of your sin. First John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he [God] is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

You see, there is a difference between your relationship with God and your fellowship with God. Your relationship with God was established by God Himself through Christ Jesus. You didn’t establish it and sin can’t dissolve it. However, sin does break your fellowship with God. Until you repent of that sin, your fellowship remains broken, while your relationship remains intact.

The Book of First John explains this more fully. And according to First John, there is a “sin unto death,” or what is called “the unpardonable sin” (1 John 5:16). [Brother Hagin will address the topic of “the unpardonable sin” more fully in a future issue of The Word of Faith.—Ed.] This is the only circumstance that will break your relationship with God. To commit the sin unto death, you have to turn your back on Jesus and willfully reject Him. Once a person does this, he becomes “out of Christ” and can never get back into Him.

I do not believe in “once saved, always saved.” There are too many accounts recorded in Scripture of people who once walked with God and then turned their backs on Him. If you read Hebrews 6:1–6, you will clearly see that falling away from a relationship with God is possible.

However, as long as a person is “in Christ,” he is all right where his or her eternal salvation is concerned. There is no believer who does not miss it from time to time, and in those instances, he has been given First John 1:9. But let me add that one who has knowledge of the truth and deliberately chooses to live a lifestyle of repeated sin, knowing that it is contrary to God’s Word, incurs the danger of searing his conscience and falling from grace.

However, as long as a person endeavors to live a life pleasing to God and asks forgiveness when he sins, he is maintaining fellowship with God. Those who are in danger of losing their relationship with God are those who sin willfully with no sense of remorse and no attitude of repentance for their deeds.
=========================================================
Notice that Hagin neither advocated a stringent "every sin causes me to lose my salvation" nor did he embrace the OSAS position.

still reading through sha... just wanna point these out

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

The only thing that should be suppressed is your obvious disdain for homosexuals. I'm sure you believe you're better than them... Move on bro, there are much more bigger issues to discuss than one's sexual orientation... I'm guessing you've been celibate. For how long?
Are you blind to the quote the op said below:
Let me restate that I do not in any way advocate hating homosexuals (or anyone, for that matter). Only that we must not accept practices opposed to God's will, just because society has deemed it acceptable. I pray that with a lot of love from Christians, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, God will change the hearts of homosexuals to turn from their "detestable" way, and turn to God instead.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Localamos(m): 9:25am On Sep 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

The op has clearly stated that the God he worships loves homosexuals. So what is it with your distasteful attack?
I think if you have a message to pass, pass it and let's stop all this acrimony.
Inasmuch as you want society to accept homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle, I don't think you are doing a Good job by attacking attacking individuals.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

Dont worry about the being of my celibacy stance... When the time comes for me to lecture you... just tag me...

But AManFromMars... abeg read the post over na... and learn
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 17, 2013
Localamos:

The op has clearly stated that the God he worships loves homosexuals. So what is it with your distasteful attack?
I think if you have a message to pass, pass it and let's stop all this acrimony.
Inasmuch as you want society to accept homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle, I don't think you are doing a Good job by attacking attacking individuals.

You have no idea. smiley
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

You have no idea. smiley

No idea of what ?? grin grin grin

If you have any message to pass, please pass it in black and white. Except if you want to suppress the truth... and remember what happened to Elymas that was trying to do same in the bible...

Acts 13:6-13
New King James Version (NKJV)
6 Now when they had gone through the island[a] to Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew whose name was Bar-Jesus, 7 who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, an intelligent man. This man called for Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God. 8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so his name is translated) withstood them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. 9 Then Saul, who also is called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him 10 and said, “O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord? 11 And now, indeed, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you shall be blind, not seeing the sun for a time.”

And immediately a dark mist fell on him, and he went around seeking someone to lead him by the hand. 12 Then the proconsul believed, when he saw what had been done, being astonished at the teaching of the Lord.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 4:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
aManFromMars: Why does this bite you so much? Are you scared or bothered you might be gay? After all, you claim a man lives in you and you love Him.

Did/Does the man whom I love, who is also living in me have/had sex with me?

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 5:29pm On Sep 17, 2013
Oga ledafaze...you don't loose your salvation irrespective of what you do/did/keep doing after you are born again.

The only way you loose your salvation is same way you got it..tru words. If you renounce Christ with your mouth, just same way to accepted his lordship...that way, you are out of Christ and can't ever come back Heb 6V3-4

Like pa Hagin said relationship is intact tho we sin, but fellowship is severed, n without fellowship, I dnt need to telll you what happens to our spirit, do I?. Sha open another thread and invite me if you wanna discuss this further

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Bella3(f): 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
lmao.
Op so whats your point? That christians should be against homosexuality at thesame time love homosexuals while forcing their beliefs down others throat?
Pls clerify.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 6:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
Bélla3: lmao.
Op so whats your point? That christians should be against homosexuality at thesame time love homosexuals while forcing their beliefs down others throat?
Pls clerify.

What the OP is saying is

LOVE the SINNER (because Christ instructed us to love everybody as he had loved us-we love not with our measure, but His) but NOT the SIN (because the bible tells us to flee from/reject sin.

Now sweetheart, hope you know that there can be SIN without a SINNER, but NO SINNER without a SIN, conclusively, we just proved we can separate the man from the sin. grin

Homosexuals are sinners with a sin (homosexuality)...we love the homosexual (the man), but not homosexuality (the sin).

If you still don't get it, we'll have to wait for Jesus' return.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Bella3(f): 7:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gombs:

What the OP is saying is

LOVE the SINNER (because Christ instructed us to love everybody as he had loved us-we love not with our measure, but His) but NOT the SIN (because the bible tells us to flee from/reject sin.

Now sweetheart, hope you know that there can be SIN without a SINNER, but NO SINNER without a SIN, conclusively, we just proved we can separate the man from the sin. grin

Homosexuals are sinners with a sin (homosexuality)...we love the homosexual (the man), but not homosexuality (the sin).

You missed the most important part of my question.
Can/should homosexuals be allowed to practice their homosexuality? Or do they have to follow your way simply because you belief its a sin.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 7:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
Bélla3: You missed the most important part of my question.
Can/should homosexuals be allowed to practice their homosexuality? Or do they have to follow your way simply because you belief its a sin.

In Christianity, we are not allowed to practice such. I don't know about other religion/atheism, but in Christianity, it is an abomination. But however, if they (homosexuals) claim to be Christians,muslims,atheists, pagans, Buddhist, etc we have no choice but to love them, n pray for them, because we know they err. They don't have to believe in Christianity to know homosexuality is wrong...have you ever seen homosexual animals? Eg a cock chasing a cock, or a ram courting a ram instead of sheep? grin
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Bella3(f): 7:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gombs:

In Christianity, we are not allowed to practice such. I don't know about other religion/atheism, but in Christianity, it is an abomination. But however, if they (homosexuals) claim to be Christians,muslims,atheists, pagans, Buddhist, etc we have no choice but to love them, n pray for them, because we know they err. They don't have to believe in Christianity to know homosexuality is wrong...have you ever seen homosexual animals? Eg a cock chasing a cock, or a ram courting a ram instead of sheep? grin
Again my question is dodged!
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gombs:

What the OP is saying is

God never asked any Christian to love the sinner and hate the sin. God hates sinners and hates their sun. Keep lying on his behalf.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 8:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

God never asked any Christian to love the sinner and hate the sin. God hates sinners and hates their sun. Keep lying on his behalf.

You can lie sha..

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that,
while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." —
Romans 5:8

Luke 19:10 reads, "For the Son of man is come to seek
and to save that which was lost."

2nd peter 3:9,
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as
some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to
us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but
that all should come to repentance."

And so on..you dnt have to lie to push your points na

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 8:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
Bélla3: Again my question is dodged!

grin
Go back to my answer, settle down, be calm and read it all over again..you'd see your answer n more is there

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 18, 2013
aManFromMars:

Can this one ever be redeemed? God help her or him.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 18, 2013
Gombs: Oga ledafaze...you don't loose your salvation irrespective of what you do/did/keep doing after you are born again.

The only way you loose your salvation is same way you got it..tru words. If you renounce Christ with your mouth, just same way to accepted his lordship...that way, you are out of Christ and can't ever come back Heb 6V3-4

Like pa Hagin said relationship is intact tho we sin, but fellowship is severed, n without fellowship, I dnt need to telll you what happens to our spirit, do I?. Sha open another thread and invite me if you wanna discuss this further

Nice one... Noted... But don't you think we can renounce Christ by our deeds?
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Bella3(f): 8:50am On Sep 18, 2013
I give up!
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 18, 2013
Bélla3: You missed the most important part of my question.

Homosexuals in a congregation should not be allowed to practice their homosexuality because it is sodomy - an act of Fornication. We also don't need to force our ideas into them... we must let them know which is which and also stand by it. And if they then want to remain in their sins, then we have to let them go so they won't spoil other fruits. They must be ready to accept our message at first before they will be able to compare which is which mind you.

The best bet is that they should not be allowed to practice their homosexuality and by so doing, they will be able to get their ego stance right.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Bella3(f): 9:00am On Sep 18, 2013
@ledafaze
So do you/will you support giving gays right to live their lives in our society?
NB: A good number of them are nt christians!
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 18, 2013
Gombs:

You can lie sha..

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that,
while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." —
Romans 5:8

Luke 19:10 reads, "For the Son of man is come to seek
and to save that which was lost."

2nd peter 3:9,
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as
some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to
us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but
that all should come to repentance."

And so on..you dnt have to lie to push your points na

Please, how do those verses support 'love the sinner, hate the sin" show me pls...
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 18, 2013
Bidam: Can this one ever be redeemed? God help her or him.

Can Christians stop lying on God's behalf? May God save the liars.

Hosea 9:15 All their evil is at Gilgal; Indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels.

Psalm 5:5 5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 18, 2013
Bélla3: @ledafaze
So do you/will you support giving gays right to live their lives in our society?
NB: A good number of them are nt christians!

The answer to your question is NO. Giving gay right is accepting their homosexuality. Let me give you a stance...

Dr Ed. Murphy:

[size=15pt]Autosexuality[/size]

Uncleanness or impurity covers not only the practice of homosexuality, but also that of self-stimulation, otherwise known as self-service. Webster defines self-service as the “stimulation of the Core organs to heavenly feeling, achieved by manual or other bodily contact exclusive of intimate intercourse.” There would probably be general acceptance among physicians and counselors on this or a similar definition of self-service. The essence of the practice then would be bringing about heavenly feeling by any means other than intimate intercourse.

Toward a Useful Definition
I have difficulty with this broad definition, however. That is why I prefer the narrower term “intimate self-stimulation.” This definition emphasizes self-gratification, a form of narcissism. It is a totally self-centered intimate activity through self-stimulation to the point of heavenly feeling. I also like Norman L. Geisler’s word for this practice. He calls it “autosexuality.” Webster’s definition would mean that almost all married couples practice self-service at different times in their married life when full intimate intercourse is not possible or advisable for one of the marriage partners for various reasons. It would also mean that some married couples regularly practice self-service, particularly women who are not able to reach heavenly feeling without manual stimulation by their mate. Often when this situation exists there is enough personal trauma without adding to it the idea that self-service is being engaged in.

Psychologist Earl D. Wilson recognizes this reality in his excellent chapter on self-service in his helpful book intimate Sanity. Wilson writes, “self-service is necessary for some couples in order to achieve maximum intimate adjustment.” When I counsel married couples who face this type of personal problem I never use the word self-service to refer to their practice. I prefer the term “manual stimulation.” Even though we live in an era of so-called intimate liberation, among sensitive Christians there is still shame connected with the word “self-service.” To heap that shame on an already troubled woman or man is unfair and unwise.

My definition of self-service then would be the practice of self-stimulation to the point of heavenly feeling by whatever means. The focus is on self-stimulation. It is a form of self-sex involving a preoccupation with one’s own intimate organs and heavenly feeling. Most Christian authors I have read hold to a somewhat more flexible view of autosexuality than I do. However, they recognize many of its inherent dangers.

The Bible’s Silence
The Bible says absolutely nothing about this practice. Psychologist Earl Wilson correctly observes: self-service, like many other topics of great personal and social concern, is neither condemned nor condoned in Scripture. In fact, I have not been able to find any direct scriptural statements about self-service. Christians have not always been honest about this fact and have tried to give the impression that their opinions on the subject were fortified with biblical imperatives. Such is not the case.

He then cites the traditional Roman Catholic interpretation of Genesis 38:8–10. Alcorn says it was from this text that self-service became “labeled onanism after the supposed self-service by a man named Onan,” but a study of this passage reveals no autosexuality at all. Onan had intimate intercourse with the woman, but just as he reached the point of heavenly feeling “he wasted his seed on the ground, in order not to give offspring to his brother” (v. 9). Alcorn continues saying, “The issue was Onan’s disobedience in refusing to raise up children for his deceased brother, which he was bound by law and family loyalty to do.”

An Appeal to Scriptural Principles
In cases like this where the Bible is silent, we must be guided by broad Scriptural principles concerning intimate practices. Sexuality is a gift of God. It is not only necessary for procreation, but is the one act that in the most meaningful manner makes the man and woman “one flesh.” Intercourse is a kind of marriage, Geisler says:

If it is outside a life-long commitment of love then it is a “bad marriage.” In fact, it is a sin the Bible calls fornication (cf. Gal. 5:19; 1 Cor. 6:18). The first reference to marriage declares that man and woman become “one flesh” (Gen. 2:24), implying that marriage occurs when two bodies are joined. . . . Intercourse initiates a “marriage.” If it is not engaged in with a life-long commitment of love, then it was an evil union, an act of fornication.

Geisler considers autosexuality to be generally wrong, and self-service to be sinful “(1) when its only motive is sheer biological pleasure, (2) when it is allowed to become a compulsive habit, and/or (3) when the habit results from inferior feelings and causes guilt feelings.” Geisler next makes an important statement, “self-service is sinful when it is performed in connection with pornographic images, for as Jesus said, lust is a matter of the interests of the heart” (Matt. 5:28).

Finally Geisler writes that autosexuality
can be right if it is used as a limited, temporary program of self-control to avoid intimate sin before marriage. If one is fully committed to leading a pure life until marriage, it may be permissible on occasion to use autosexual stimulation to relieve one’s tension. As long as it does not become a habit nor a means of gratifying one’s lust, self-service is not necessarily immoral. In fact, when the motive is not lust but self-control, self-service can be a moral act (cf. 1 Cor. 7:5; 9:25). . . . self-service used in moderation without lust for the purpose of retaining one’s purity is not immoral.

Problems of Autosexuality
I am happy with Geisler’s first statements about the three ways that autosexuality is wrong. I have trouble with his (and other writers’) permissiveness of autosexuality to release intimate lust. First, is autosexuality to become a substitute husband or wife? As any happily married person knows, once you enter into a life of deep intimate fulfillment with your beloved, it is even more difficult to suddenly cut it off because of sickness, forced separation, and death.

Second, is autosexuality the only way to avoid lust? Are there not other ways much more in harmony with Scripture with no danger of becoming habit forming as is true with self-service? Earl Wilson and Randy Alcorn, while generally agreeing with Geisler, make some important observations which give balance to our subject. Wilson argues for the biblical emphasis on self-control by saying that if autosexuality was the road to take, why did not the apostle Paul say so in his teachings on intimate self-control in 1 Corinthians 7:8–9? Why did he not say if one cannot control his intimate drive let him self-service? That is what many writers seem to be saying. Wilson says:

One answer seems quite obvious. self-service is not a means of self-control. It is often a lack of self-control. intimate fantasy and self-service allow a person to engage in mental sex with numerous people. This does not seem compatible with Paul’s exhortation to have self-control which we read about earlier in 1 Corinthians 6:12–13. . . . We kid ourselves when we say we can’t live without self-service. That very statement borders on obsession. We need to face the fact that we are a pleasure-loving people and that self-service is one way we choose to worship pleasure rather than God.

Wilson continues saying that the second major problem with autosexuality is its depersonalization and quotes the title of John White’s outstanding chapter on autosexuality, “Sex on a Desert Island.” White’s entire argument against autosexuality as a legitimate intimate lifestyle is that sex is given by God to counteract human loneliness (“It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make a helper suitable for him,” Gen. 2:18). Autosexuality, however, produces further loneliness. That which was made to bring a man and woman together for life is abused to produce the worst kind of loneliness and isolation.

Your intimate longings are associated with a deeper need—that someone should . . . bring your isolation to an end. . . . self-service is to be alone on an island. It frustrates the very instinct it gratifies. Alcorn agrees with the general line of thought developed by Wilson and White. He concludes his chapter on autosexuality with two important items.

One, “self-service seems to be a natural part of adolescent self-discovery, particularly among boys.” He warns Christian parents not to be upset if they catch their adolescent children self-servicing. Nor should they threaten their children that self-service will lead to insanity or some kind of physical or later emotional maladjustment.

Two, persons should not allow autosexuality to become “the focus of their life. The guilt, shame and self-hatred as well as anger against God for making intimate stimulation such a powerful force in human life can cripple a believer’s life,” he says. If we have been guilty of this sin, it is forgivable. If we are in bondage to habitual autosexuality there is a way out. As all these author-counselors say, as one has chosen to self-service, he can choose to stop self-servicing. If the practice is obsessive and longstanding it may mean real spiritual warfare to stop, but in Christ we can stop. Alcorn, Wilson, and White suggest simple steps we can take to gain victory over this potentially obsessive habit.

Seven Reasons To Resist Autosexuality
I have other reasons why I take a firm stance against autosexuality. I do not accept it as “God’s relief value for built-up intimate drive,” a common expression among Christian leaders with whom I have discussed this issue.

First, it is not necessary. I have as strong a intimate interest as any man, but I do not engage in autosexuality. My ministry often has taken me away from my loving wife for months at a time. My intimate intimate relationship with my wife grows deeper, not shallower, with time. After over 40 years of marriage she is as desirable to me as ever, even more so. With maturity comes a deeper love for this marvelous woman that God has given me. I tell her continually that next to God himself, she is God’s greatest gift to me. When I am away from her, even when I am alone and desire her love, I do not engage in autosexuality. I choose not to do so. With this God-given self-control has come wonderful freedom and peace. There is no freedom nor peace in bondage to self-service.

Second, self-service does not decrease intimate tension; it only increases it. When you stop, your intimate tension will be taken care of by itself if you maintain an active life and disciplined physical exercise. Thus one will be tired each night and not need intimate self-stimulation to relax and sleep.

Third, autosexual conduct usually involves intimate sin and lust in the fantasy realm even though it may not be focused on any one person.

Fourth, autosexuality fixates on one’s own intimate organs and intimate desires, the opposite of a shared intimate relationship with one’s mate.

Fifth, it is habit forming. I am not saying that occasional self-stimulation will inevitably become an obsessive habit. Experience proves that is not so. No one, however, ever becomes bound by a habit which did not begin at a given point and continue with more and more frequency. This is the only way autostimulation can ever become a intimate bondage. Thus, the only sure way to avoid the possibility of habit and bondage is never to begin.

Sixth, in almost every form of intimate bondage from promiscuity to homosexuality and Indecency, autosexual stimulation plays a central part. Probably all “sexaholics” are addicted to self-service. To my memory, in every counseling case I have had with men or women who are in intimate bondage, self-service has been involved. Some men and women cannot enjoy a normal satisfying intimate relationship with their mates but continually self-service.

Finally, there can be a definite demonic dimension to uncontrolled self-service. I have cast demons of self-service out of the lives of sexually bound men and women. I am not saying that demons are directly attached to the lives of all those in bondage to autosexual practices, nor am I saying demons are attached to the lives of most persons addicted to such practices. I am saying that they can become attached to the life of anyone in bondage to this unwise intimate practice. Such persons need counseling, but they also need deliverance.

Bondage to self-service is spiritual warfare. The desire may first come from within, warfare with the lusts of the flesh. It can also come directly from without, warfare with a sex-crazed world. Finally, it often comes from above, warfare with intimate demons who tempt us to unwise or illicit intimate activity (1 Cor. 7:5).

A fellow missionary with whom I often travel in ministry was experiencing increased intimate loneliness during his frequent absences from his wife. He had never practiced self-service beyond a few experiences as an adolescent. As he shared his loneliness with two missionary friends, both were amazed that he did not try self-service as a means of temporary relief while away from home. They both said they did. They affirmed it was God’s relief valve for pent-up intimate desires.

My friend began to follow their advice, at first infrequently. Then it became more and more often, especially in the evenings while bathing or alone in bed. While it provided some relief, it actually made him feel very insecure. Mental images of what he was doing would cross his mind at the most inopportune times, often while he was praying and reading Scripture or preaching. He felt that he must stop. He did for a while; then the desire would come upon him stronger than ever.

Eventually he became quite disturbed by his lack of intimate self-control. His habit seemed to increase his intimate desires instead of decreasing them. One night while in bed the desire came upon him with the greatest intensity he had ever known. Suddenly he became aware of an evil presence in the room with him. He was only beginning to learn the demonic dimension of spiritual warfare, but he sensed it was Satan. He remembered James 4:7–8: Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. He began to resubmit his sexuality and intimate organs to God, including his mind, his emotions, and his will. He then began to resist the Devil and his intimate demons, out loud. He took his position as reigning with Christ above all principalities and powers of evil. He claimed his victory through the one who had defeated Satan and his evil spirits on the Cross.

Within a few minutes the evil presence left. The uncontrollable intimate passion was now under control. He then drew near to the Lord in praise, worship, and thanksgiving. The Lord, as He promised, drew near to him (James 4:7–8 ). He did not self-service that night. Though this occurred some twenty years ago he has never masturbated since then. Though he still travels in a worldwide ministry usually without his wife, he has had no problem with self-service or even strong temptations toward self-service since that day. Why risk bondage to intimate self-stimulation when freedom is ours in Christ?

Dr. Ed. Murphy
The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare

Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 18, 2013
ledafaze:

The answer to your question is NO. Giving gay right is accepting their homosexuality. Let me give you a stance...

So who's to blame for homosexuality? God or the homos?

And tell me more, ur celibate and u don't masturbate? smiley
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 9:17am On Sep 18, 2013
ledafaze:

Nice one... Noted... But don't you think we can renounce Christ by our deeds?

NO!

We have to do that with our Mouth...
Re: What The Bible Says About Homosexuality by Gombs(m): 9:19am On Sep 18, 2013
aManFromMars:

Please, how do those verses support 'love the sinner, hate the sin" show me pls...

Na wa for you o...you said God hate sinners, I just showed you he doesn't...now you bringing up another totally different thing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Another Mystery Of Pastor Lazarus Mouka Revealed / PHOTOS: Jesus Christ Appeared In Redeemed Christian Church / Photo: I Am With The Missing Moon !!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.