Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,325 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:31 PM

Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts (7676 Views)

How To Make Tiger Nuts Milk / Nigerian Foods You Should Eat To Stay Healthy / Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by tlaret24(m): 12:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hausa call it ‘Aya’; Yoruba call it ‘imumu’; the Igbo call it ‘ofio’. In South-south Nigeria, it is known as ‘aki Hausa’ and in pidgin it is called ‘Hausa groundnut.’

Tiger nuts (Cyperus esculentus), erroneously referred to as nuts, are actually edible tubers. And though there are three varieties - black, brown and yellow - the yellow and brown varieties are more common in Nigerian markets.

Most people prefer the yellow variety for its bigger size, interesting texture, attractive colour and fleshier body. The yellow variety also yields more milk, contains lower fat and higher protein and less anti-nutritional factors, especially polyphenols. Experts have pointed out that some of the anti-nutrients found in the nut, such as polyphenols and tannins, can be eliminated by soaking the nuts in water.

Tiger nuts may be a tasty snack for quite a number of people, especially children, but have you ever pondered the tremendous health benefits a handful could provide? Whether eaten fresh, dried, roasted, or subjected to further processing and made into milk or flour, tiger nuts are rich and provide the following health benefits:

Rich source of milk
Tiger nuts can be processed to make beverage. Commonly called ‘kunnu aya’ in northern Nigeria, it is a healthy and nutritious drink with vitamins C and E, and minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron. It also contains carbohydrates, unsaturated fats, proteins and some enzymes which help in digestion.

Studies have pointed out that tiger nut milk contains more iron, magnesium and carbohydrates than cow milk. It has been recommended for those who are gluten or cow milk intolerant.

Milk great for diabetics and weight control
In the study: “Tiger nut: as a plant, its derivatives and benefits”, published in the African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, it was discovered that sugar-free tiger nut milk is suitable for diabetic people and also helps in weight control due to its content of carbohydrates with a base of sucrose and starch (without glucose), and its high content of Arginine, which liberates the hormone that produces insulin

Relieves digestive problems
Experts have recommended tiger nuts for those who suffer from indigestion, flatulence and diarrhoea because it provides digestive enzymes like the catalase, lipase and amylase. Its high fibre content also aids in the prevention of constipation and has been reported to reduce the risk of colon cancer.

Excellent for the heart
In the 2005 edition of American Journal of Immunology, a study on tiger nut tubers and its effects on atherosclerosis in mice showed that feeding mice with tiger nuts resulted in the decrease of the development of atherosclerotic lesions.

Several studies have equally corroborated that tiger nut oil reduces low density lipoprotein-cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and increases high density lipoprotein-cholesterol (good cholesterol) thereby preventing heart attacks as well as reduces levels of triglycerides in blood and the risk of forming bloody clots, thereby preventing arteriosclerosis.

Helps the body adapt to stress
Tiger nut contains a good quantity of vitamin B1, which assists in balancing the central nervous system and helps to encourage the body to adapt to stress.
Great for the skin

It is rich in Vitamin E which delays cell aging, improves elasticity of skin and helps to clear the appearance of wrinkles, acne and other skin alterations.

Improves fertility
The milk supplies the body with enough quantity of Vitamin E essential for fertility in both men and women. It has also been found to be a powerful aphrodisiac. In Chinese medicine, it is used to regulate menstruation in women.

Alternate source of flour
Tiger nuts can be processed to make flour and owing to the fact that it is gluten-free, it is great for those who are gluten-intolerant. The flour can be used to prepare biscuits, bread or any other confection.http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/17095-why-you-should-eat-tiger-nuts.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by eagleeye2: 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
tlaret24:

the Igbo call it ‘aki Hausa’ and in pidgin it is called ‘Hausa groundnut.’

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/17095-why-you-should-eat-tiger-nuts.html

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by tpia5: 3:13pm On Sep 17, 2013
i've only had these once, and found them so tasty.

really good, unfortunately, havent been able to get any since then (ages ago).
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by Odunukwe30: 2:58pm On Jan 16, 2015
It is necessary you take a look at this article.
Prevalence of Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency Among Apparently Healthy Children
continue...
http://uniprojectsearch.com/glucose6phosph…althy-children/
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by sunnshyn(f): 3:18pm On Jan 16, 2015
Until now, I didn't know that ofio is/was called tiger nut oo...

I chop this think shege when I was younger.
Particularly the brown ones sold in small nylon bags. Be careful when chewing 'cos you might just be grinding stone with your teeth. LOL..

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by maingwaest(f): 11:33pm On Jan 16, 2015
@ OP, pls do u have any idea on how kunu aya is prepared?
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by bluegrey: 1:13pm On Jan 24, 2015
Ok, thanks for the info.
My mum used to buy if for us when we were kids.
Now I see them on mallam wheel barrows and just ignore.
Will start taking it. Love the anti-aging, fertility and aphrodisiac part.
Hope it's not fattening sha, cos of the milk content.
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by airminem(f): 12:23pm On Jan 31, 2020
sunnshyn:
Until now, I didn't know that ofio is/was called tiger nut oo...

I chop this think shege when I was younger.
Particularly the brown ones sold in small nylon bags. Be careful when chewing 'cos you might just be grinding stone with your teeth. LOL..
grin lol
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by airminem(f): 12:25pm On Jan 31, 2020
maingwaest:
@ OP, pls do u have any idea on how kunu aya is prepared?
I bet u are a pro in kunu aya by now smiley
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by KIDfurniture(m): 3:56am On Feb 01, 2020
I need this item in bulk please.. fresh too
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by pinkvirus: 7:14pm On Feb 01, 2020
KIDfurniture:

where do u stay I can supply it in large quantity
how do want it
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by KIDfurniture(m): 9:30am On Feb 03, 2020
Ibadan.....let me have your email first..

pinkvirus:

where do u stay I can supply it in large quantity
how do want it
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by Maryeno(f): 4:37pm On Feb 29, 2020
[color=#990000][/color]Is it good for pregnant women too
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by Adejuliet(f): 3:41pm On Jan 28, 2021
KIDfurniture:

Good day Sir, I can supply you in bulk.

Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by KIDfurniture(m): 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2021
Are u in ibadan

Adejuliet:

Good day Sir, I can supply you in bulk.
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by Adejuliet(f): 9:16pm On Jan 28, 2021
KIDfurniture:
Are u in ibadan

I'm in Lagos but I can definitely deliver to Ibadan. I do interstate deliveries Sir
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by abolaji62(m): 10:15am On Feb 02, 2021
Orelope perishable/vegetables/fruit foodstuffs supply.... Can supply you any foodstuffs and vegetables/perishable fruit you need and delivery is also available to anywhere in Lagos :you can contact us +234 909 573 2957 or message us on WhatsApp or horlamide62@gmail.com thanks
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by gideonematics: 6:11pm On May 11, 2022
The reasons why everyone should eat tiger nuts regularly are too many.

Time will fail me to talk about all of them here.
Say for example in the digestive system, tiger nuts can help you resolve constipation, absorb nutrients better and shed excess weight.

In women, it can improve ovulation and help them achieve natural conception or pregnancy.

To learn more about the benefits of tiger nuts you can follow this link ==>https://www.gidisblog.com/2022/02/health-benefits-of-tigernut.html
Re: Why You Should Eat Tiger Nuts by Salesnservices: 12:03pm On Jul 14, 2022
Do you need Tigernut & Dabino in small and large quantity

If yes, please call: +2347066880314, 09128586853

(1) (Reply)

Help!!! How Best Can I Fry Hotdogs? / Your Party Small Chops And Chapman @350per Guest / First Time Cooking Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.