Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,058 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? (4099 Views)

What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / Make A Sentence With 3 "Because" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by ariblaze(m): 5:28am On Jun 21, 2008
please feel free to share

who knows

we could pick a thing or two from it

thanks
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by ariblaze(m): 5:52am On Jun 21, 2008
to live is to suffer

to survive is to find meaning

in that very suffering

(first heard this from the intro of a dmx's song, out of a lack of another else to credit the phrase to, i would give dmx)
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 9:54am On Jun 21, 2008
I really dnt know d name of musician.

The rules for gamblers

u got 2 know when 2 old it,
know when 2 fold it
know when 2 walk away
know when 2 run

u neva count ur money
when u're sitting at the table
cos there'll be time enough 2 count it when the deal is done

i really like 2 ponder over this

1 Like

Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by maedan(f): 2:48pm On Jun 21, 2008
Madea19:

The rules for gamblers

know when 2 fold it
know when 2 walk away
know when 2 run

u never count your money
because there'll be time enough 2 count it when the deal is done

The singer is Kenny Rogers, and the words made me ponder too, even now in my ripe old age. smiley

Like in life and in gambling(cards), you've got to know when to stay, walk away, or run from the circumstances surrounding you.

Also, don't count your chickens before they are hatched. Wait for the end before you celebrate. Or some such.

All in all, great words from a grrrreat song!
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Sisikill: 2:58pm On Jun 21, 2008
There's nothing hard for a willing heart.
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Tetchiness(f): 5:27pm On Jun 21, 2008
It's a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by ariblaze(m): 7:57pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sisikill:

There's nothing hard for a willing heart.

i like this,

cool

Madea19:

The rules for gamblers

know when 2 fold it
know when 2 walk away
know when 2 run

u never count your money
because there'll be time enough 2 count it when the deal is done

you can apply this to all facets of life

deep
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 11:55am On Jun 23, 2008
He who is slow 2 anger is better than the mighty, and He who rules his spirit is better than He who takes a city

here's anoda 1,

The heaviest moments require The lightest touch
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 12:17pm On Jun 23, 2008
Hello friends, please i'd like sum1 2 help me get an example dat goes with this saying

"if d nail decides 2 malinger (pretend 2 be ill), it would not pierce butter.

An example dat explains it well will be appreciated

Thanks
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by SENATORJD(m): 12:21pm On Jun 23, 2008
trust everybody,just dont trust the devil in them
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by crazylegs(m): 2:40pm On Jun 23, 2008
Its better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

maedan:

The singer is Kenny Rogers, and the words made me ponder too, even now in my ripe old age. smiley

Thought I was the only one that liked that one. Not a Kenny Rogers fan but I also like the one that goes: Sometimes you have to fight to be a man.
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 23, 2008
Dead flies putrefy the perfumer's ointment,
And cause it to give off a foul odor,
So does a little folly
To one respected for wisdom and honor.

Ecclesiastes 10:1
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 9:32am On Jun 24, 2008
A Man who does no hardwork, will NEVER know the value of rest
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by maedan(f): 6:06pm On Jun 27, 2008
crazylegs:

Its better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Thought I was the only one that liked that one. Not a Kenny Rogers fan but I also like the one that goes: Sometimes you have to fight to be a man.

Not a Kenny Rogers fan, awww! I'm not a Kenny fan either, my younger sisters are Nuts for him, even though they're in their twenties. It's crazy. The way these young girls like country ( even pple like Dolly Parton) I worry about their genes. Like the You've got to fight to be a man song too. Kenny Rogers made some good tunes.

Hmmn, mayb this should just turn into a Kenny Rogers thread. lol
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by maedan(f): 6:17pm On Jun 27, 2008
Now here's something from Mariah Carey that really struck me when I had the CD, stolen by some other MC freak lyk me!

I was a wayward child, with the weight of the world that I had deep inside
Life was a winding road and I learned many things little ones shouldn't know

And I close my eyes, settle my feet on the ground, Raise my head to the sky
And as time rolls by, still I feel like a child when I look at the moon.

Maybe I grew up a little too soon.

There you go! That verse just SPEAKS to me. Can't remember the name of the song, but I love MC and I think if you want deep lyrics, she's the best for inspiration. Just love the new BYE BYE song. That voice, aahhh
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by maedan(f): 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2008
Seriously though, I always find the most striking stuff from the bible. Here's my favorite verse, a great pick-me-up when I need one:

O you afflicted one
Tossed with the tempest and not comforted
I will lay your stones with colorful gems

And lay your foundations with Sapphires,
I will make your pinnacles of Rubies,
Your gates of Crystal

And all your walls of Precious stones.

~ISAIAH 54 v 11

It's good to know God loves some Bling~bling too. Word!
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by ladybam(f): 6:16pm On Jun 28, 2008
Aids is real sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 29, 2008
hahahahaha!!!!!!! grin
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by maedan(f): 5:12pm On Jun 29, 2008
lady bam:

Aids is real sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

well i must say that really lightens up the mood around here.
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by iice(f): 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2008
Quod Me Nutruit Me Destruit - What nourishes me, also destroys me.
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 10:03am On Jun 30, 2008
Take Time to THINK

It is d source of power
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by kay9(m): 12:06pm On Jun 30, 2008
I'm not usually this gushy, but I gotta admit Kenny Rogers songs trip me. Like the one that goes: Aint no sunshine when she's gone/ Only dark clouds come my way/ Aint no sunshine when she's gone - she's gone! / (forgot the last line, sorry smiley
Makes me wanna weep! DMX had to remix the song and use as the chorus for the movie soundtrack of Exit Wounds.

I also trip for Tupac lyrics - the chorus for Runnin, for example:
Well, I wonder if they live to die and if
Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die
Why am I trying to see, if there aint nothin' inside
Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me - oh God
Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by kay9(m): 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2008
Anyone watched The Italian Job? One dude said something in the movie that really tickled me. The fella was asked why he'd leaked vital info to some Ukrainian gangsters (he ought to have kept mum - the "hard" guy thing, you know smiley ), so he replied : "There are three things I don't Bleep around with - Mother Mary, Mother Nature, and motherfcuking Ukrainians!"
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by crazylegs(m): 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2008
kay9:

"There are three things I don't Bleep around with - Mother Mary, Mother Nature, and motherfcuking Ukrainians!"

grin LOL. Sounds like mine!
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2008
Take Time 2 READ

It is d foundation of wisdom
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 9:34am On Jul 01, 2008
Take Time 2 PLAY

It is d secret of staying young
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by ariblaze(m): 8:27pm On Jul 01, 2008
Madea19:

Take Time 2 PLAY

It is d secret of staying young

ama tell my boss this grin
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by Madea19(f): 10:12am On Jul 02, 2008
Hahahaha . . . . . .

Take Time 2 be QUIET

It is d opportunity 2 seek GOD
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by kay9(m): 3:48pm On Jul 02, 2008
Got some more wise quotes. These are by John Mason, an American motivational speaker. (Mind, I don't normally speakers, but this guy says some really smart things).

- Don't wait for opportunity to sail into harbour; swim out and meet it out at sea!

- Never use your predicament as an excuse. Remember, some people freeze in winter, others ski!

- Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up and knows that it must out-run the fastest lion, or else it will be eaten. Every morning also, a lion wakes up and knows that it must out-run the slowest antelope, or else it will starve to death. So you see, it doesn't matter if you are an antelope or a lion - when the sun comes up, you'd better be up and running!
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by clemcykul(f): 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2008
all remember that in life there is always a day of reckoning
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by iice(f): 5:21pm On Jul 02, 2008
The mind is like a parachute, it works best when it is opened
Re: What/which phrase,quote,saying,sentence....strikes you? by StephenP(m): 9:29pm On Jul 02, 2008
Never underestimate the power of your words; you can tear one or build one up with it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Joromi (A Yoruba Folktale) / My Last Day In School (complete story) / The Housekeeper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.