Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,838 members, 7,806,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles (22505 Views)

FG Plans N8tn Budget For 2016 / I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari / FG May Ban Importation Of Generators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 17, 2013
THE Federal Government has revealed plans to ban importation of vehicles into the country, to encourage local production, even as revival efforts for the nation's moribund assembly plants were yet to be visible.

Besides, the government has stepped up moves to reposition the nation's transportation system, in line with its transformation agenda.

Already, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) has concluded arrangements to kick-off passenger service on the Eastern railway route before the end of December.

President Goodluck Jonathan stated these while declaring open the 2013 yearly national management conference of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM) in Uyo, Monday.

The President did not however state the time frame for the vehicle import ban programme.

He stressed that the efforts being made, especially in local vehicle production at Nnewi, Anambra State need to be encouraged.

Recently, the government directed its various organs to purchase vehicles made at the Nnewi plant, a gesture that was lauded by the Nigerian Automotive Manufacturers Association of Nigeria.

The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Olusegun Aganga had earlier hinted of government's plan to create three automobile training centres and clusters at Lagos, Nnewi and Kano.

The training centres, according to Aganga, would be established in partnership with Brazil to train Nigerians in automobile maintenance and spare parts production, while the clusters would host new vehicle assembly plants.

The President said that the reform in the rail, airport and the maritime sectors were aimed at gaining the confidence of investors and to empower Nigerians.

The government's policy of economic inclusion, according to him, was designed to empower the less privileged and the unemployed through opportunities in agriculture and skills acquisitions.

"We can emphatically say that as a result of our economic policy, there have been significant improvement in our economic transformation drive," Jonathan said.
http://odili.net/news/source/2013/sep/17/13.html
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Afam4eva(m): 5:42pm On Sep 17, 2013
I saw this in the news today and i'm like, WTF. There are other ways to encourage the patronage of locally made vehicles and not a total ban of importation of vehicles.

4 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
Joke of the Century, as if they themselves the Government Officials will Patronize the ones being assembled in the country,...Oh i forgot they are now Buying private Jets, maybe they should Ban importation of Private Jets too, only then we will know how serious they are.

15 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by homesteady(m): 5:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
Afam4eva: I saw this in the news today and i'm like, WTF. [There are other ways to encourage the patronage of locally made vehicles and not a total ban of importation of vehicles.

Like?
Tax free holiday?

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Andyblaze: 5:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
Not a bad idea. I am currently funding my vehicle plant in ogun state. Thats why been a ph.d holder is good. I need the government's support on this. We can do this.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 17, 2013
Afam4eva: I saw this in the news today and i'm like, WTF. There are other ways to encourage the patronage of locally made vehicles and not a total ban of importation of vehicles.

Exactly. The FG can set a quota on the number of imported vehicles into the country, and patronize the locally-made vehicles. In addition, the likes of INNOSON should embark on a massive publicity campaign to advertise their products.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Wittywizard(m): 5:56pm On Sep 17, 2013
i gues they are tryin to emulate d pope...
Abegg oh... We the poor don't even care... @least.. They should ban it & let see who will lose from it...
Na motor dem dey use kill us...
I wonder why the poor don't have & the rich still continue having... Na wah oh...
They should just leave b.r.t for me & band their so-called.. PRESIDENTIAL SUV & wateva...
I SUPPORT THE EMANCIPATION FOR THE POOR... Click.... If u support wit me

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Austeenxx: 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2013
WTF??!

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by omodapson(m): 5:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
Joke of the century. With the level of standard of living in the country. How many people will be buoyant enough to purchase branch new vehicles? I go siddon dey look on sha.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
Andyblaze: Not a bad idea. I am currently funding my vehicle plant in ogun state. Thats why been a ph.d holder is good. I need the government's support on this. We can do this.

Your writings suggest you are a holder of an imaginary Ph.D. No Ph.D holder writes the way you just did.

22 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Desola(f): 5:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
Oloun ma je!

Put my life in the hands of ibo made cars?

Jonathan ko de ni ragba fun e!

22 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by sugardaddy1(m): 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
A potential wrong move by GEJ
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by IGBOSON1: 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
Afam4eva: I saw this in the news today and i'm like, WTF. There are other ways to encourage the patronage of locally made vehicles and not a total ban of importation of vehicles.

^^^And if timed right, what's wrong with a total ban on importation of vehicles?; it's not as if they're about to ban something we can't do without....like oxygen or water for instance!

This will give serious minded automobile manufacturing coys the 'reason' to set up factories in Nigeria to meet demand. More so if constant power supply is guaranteed!

9 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2013

locally made vehicles.
that part made me laugh hard.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 17, 2013
Desola: Oloun ma je!

LOL! Amin ashe!

5 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by sugardaddy1(m): 6:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^And if timed right, what's wrong with a total ban on importation of vehicles?; it's not as if they're about to ban something we can't do without....like oxygen or water for instance!

This will give serious minded automobile manufacturing coys the 'reason' to set up factories in Nigeria to meet demand. More so if constant power supply is guaranteed!
You have already identified the problem -wrong timing.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Conceptz(m): 6:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hope it ll b reliable, we dont want [s][/s]china naija cars to hav faults easily oo
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by nerodenero: 6:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
FG is a joke!!!
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Andyblaze: 6:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
payless:

Your writings suggest you are a holder of an imaginary Ph.D. No Ph.D holder writes the way you just did.
I am actually a genuine doctorate degree holder. Mondi cheeks is my witness.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Wittywizard(m): 6:05pm On Sep 17, 2013

have u 4gotten jonathan is ur President & greater than ur father even ur fore-fathers to ur great granny.. Y abusing a man wit valour... Put ur parent in dat position

17 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Dokitadotun: 6:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
This is really laudable. Nigerians are difficult to please. At least this idea is good, i still see some comments downgrading this. You may not like jonathan but when we see good idea let us appreciate it.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Benez: 6:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
To underline his seriousness, he should drop all his vehicles both official and personal and embrace an Inewi assembled ones.

11 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by 1MCN: 6:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
This will definitely bring with it a plethora of pains for the populace. But then the truth is, this is going to bring about an uncommon tilling in the Automobile industry. A lot of new plants, jobs, and innovation.

Korea went into this hardline for ten whole years! And the result: all the Korean cars that flood our roads today. So, in the long term, this is very gainful.

12 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by babyhrt(m): 6:11pm On Sep 17, 2013

...Desola,how can say dat abt an elderly person who isa also ur leadr.its unfortunate dat we hav U̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣̥ type around..

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Peinstein: 6:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
We have the raw materials needed in the automobile industry but I am afraid this policy should be looked into properly

Cost of production in Nigeria is generally higher than in China and some other Asian countries - so the automobiles produced may be more expensive

There is insufficient competition in the local automobile industry, if these policy is not effected properly we might be having another monopoly

The average consumer might be affected negatively. The cars produced locally would likely be more expensive that their asian counterparts,

Nigerians have a negative orientation to locally produced goods that require complex mechanisms, which means there would still be high demand for foreign made cars, subsequently the cost of such cars would increase. At the end of the day buying a car might be more than an affordable luxury for an average Nigerian.

My opinion. I go with Afam4eva and CFCfan's suggestion.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Big4wig(m): 6:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
They should try and ban ASUU STRIKE 1st.mtshww

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 17, 2013

If you don't like "Ibo made cars", make your own.

17 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
president goodluck is doing fine in the area of job creation nd stable econimic growth..
i love the man in that area...baning of cars wil create room for our local plants here and will go a long way in employing our mechanical eng graduates

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
I'm not quite sure what the president means by this.

Even advanced car-making countries still import cars from other countries. There are Japanese cars in the US. You can still find a Benz in South Korea, or a Kia in France.

What the FG needs to do is fasttrack the power sector reforms so that we can have sufficient electicity to assist local production. Infrastructure and relevant transport links to market should also be looked into.

5 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Desola(f): 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
Wittywizard:
have u 4gotten jonathan is ur President & greater than ur father even ur fore-fathers to ur great granny.. Y abusing a man wit valour... Put ur parent in dat position

May you parents run your life the way Jonathan runs Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
Peinstein: We have the raw materials needed in the automobile industry but I am afraid this policy should be looked into properly

Cost of production in Nigeria is generally higher than in China and some other Asian countries - so the automobiles produced may be more expensive

There is insufficient competition in the local automobile industry, if these policy is not effected properly we might be having another monopoly

The average consumer might be affected negatively. The cars produced locally would likely be more expensive that their asian counterparts,

Nigerians have a negative orientation to locally produced goods that require complex mechanisms, which means there would still be high demand for foreign made cars, subsequently the cost of such cars would increase. At the end of the day buying a car might be more than an affordable luxury for an average Nigerian.

My opinion. I go with Afam4eva and CFCfan's suggestion.
if banning of imported car will make innoson become a monopolist soo be it......for heaven sake lets support this
we always critisize but lets suport this for the sake of our jobless mech eng graduate

6 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by youngmonie: 6:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
such a useless idea thta would never see the lite of day, You know how many businesses are involved in car dealership esp that of foreign made cars?...you know how many people d sector emplys?......That mean gej would get rid of all those SLS and CLS that ferry him and other government officials. If all this 9ja made cars with "Chinese technology" are that good, the Nigerian market is big enough they can compete without the need for suc actions by the government................If they that good, how come we dnt see them in dealership everywhere.....even Coscharis wont put those things on showcase.

however not withstanding still think its a really good business idea but they need to focus more comutter transport buses, Nigeria still has a lot of challenges in they can make loads of money from that sector by suplyin busses and all, but as for your everyday private car.....errmmm doubt it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Government Celebrates Ojukwu's 84th Posthumous Birthday (Video) / Ortom To Buhari: Count Benue Out Of Grazing Reserves Plan / Shekarau Defects To PDP After Three Months In NNPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.