Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,054 members, 7,807,168 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) (10701 Views)

FG To Begin Campaign Against Indiscipline, African-time Syndrome — Lai Mohammed / Drunk Policeman Falls Into The Gutter In Ibadan (Photos) / For The Doubting Thomases! Its Now Official! They Are Now In The Open! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by YoshiMaster: 11:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
Let me preface this by saying that I am not partisan, and residing in Lagos, I can attest to most of the good works by the governor, Fashola.

Now to the topic of discussion, Open Gutters, we have them at a lot of streets in Lagos.

What I see here is an opportunity for beautification of our streets, wasting away.

I wonder what it would take to upgrade the standard of our drainages. This may not seem like a big deal to some people, but I believe we need to go by professional standards in everything we do in Nigeria, big and small, for us to progress.

If lagos is to become a top tourist destination, then little things like these need to be handled with the same seriousness as the big things.

3 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by YoshiMaster: 11:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
Only took pics of Akin Adesola street.

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by iterator25: 12:23am On Sep 18, 2013
Megacity my arse

1 Like

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by IGBOSON1: 12:32am On Sep 18, 2013
I so hate this open gutter shi/t! It's nothing more than trying to build roads on the cheap and not wanting to move away from the 1970s/third world mind set of road construction!

It wouldn't have been so bad if they keep the gutters flowing and clear of rubbish and stagnant/stinking water!

3 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by MayorofLagos(m): 4:01am On Sep 18, 2013
In Lagos open gutter is an integrated design for rain water drainage. Lagos State Govt would love to implement a new design with underground drainage and channels, however, two factors make that impossible.

1. War against litters
Numerous campaigns raising awareness to encourage behavioral change towards proper diaposal of waste and recyclables.

2. Sea level.
All cities around the world that are at zero or negative altitude above sea level have somewhat close to an open drainage. On a global level Lagos is not an exception.

1 Like

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by kedukc(m): 4:49am On Sep 18, 2013
Op, what's your alternative?
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by fr3do(m): 5:55am On Sep 18, 2013
Eko ni baje o cheesy
so open gutters are your problem?
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Jakumo(m): 6:11am On Sep 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: In Lagos open gutter is an integrated design for rain water drainage. Lagos State Govt would love to implement a new design with underground drainage and channels, however, two factors make that impossible.

1. War against litters
Numerous campaigns raising awareness to encourage behavioral change towards proper diaposal of waste and recyclables.

2. Sea level.
All cities around the world that are at zero or negative altitude above sea level have somewhat close to an open drainage. On a global level Lagos is not an exception.

I'm so sorry, Mayor of Lagos, but I'm going to have to pull out my bullchit whistle and call you out, because open sewers are found EXCLUSIVELY in cities and slums of the Third World, and nowhere else on this green planet. I have either lived in or visited Los Angeles, San Fancisco, San Diego and New York, ALL of which are low-lying coastal cities, and I can attest that there are NO open sewers in ANY of those cities. Having spent time in more than a few coastal towns in the UK as well, I failed to spot a SINGLE Lagos-style open sewer there as well.

In short, your second claim above is blatantly false in every regard, and does not correlate with any reality that can be seen in the developed world. All the same, your valiant attempt to pass off pseudo-science as verifyable fact is understandable, given your obvious love and PATRIOTIC loyalty to Lagos and Nigeria.

Your first assertion about Nigerians being chronic litter-bugs may be true as a stand-alone point of fact, but it still does NOT amount to a plausible reason why Nigerian urban developers have so far failed to adopt the sub-terranian sewage networks that are ubiquitous in the cities and towns of the developed world. The truth is that trash accumulates in ALL sewage disposal networks, and is routinely vacumed out of specially designed UNDERGROUND sumps, by purpose-built city trucks manned by trained crews.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by UyiIredia(m): 6:20am On Sep 18, 2013
In fact, that's why I prefer Julis Berger's work in CBD and Moloney within the first decade of 2000. Well covered and to some extebt allows for underground darinage. The other companies just use cement to style up the place. It still allows for stagnant water since there isn't drainage. TBH, I would even prefer bare ground be there. It will soak of rainwater and over time it will dry off. This doesn't apply in all cases.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Danhumprey: 6:32am On Sep 18, 2013
OP,are you blaming the government for the 'Open Gutter' syndrome or what? The government did it's part by building the drainage and employing task force to maintain it. It's the people who are suppose to partner in maintaining it,but who rather turn a blind eye to it that should be blame. People tend to dispose off wastes indiscriminately in the gutter,thereby blocking free flow of water and that is bad,as the water remain stagnant and serve as a breeding site for harmful insects. Mass enlignment should be undertaken on the danger of indiscriminate waste disposal.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 6:36am On Sep 18, 2013
op, you're right. It's a disgrace actually. I just returned from Kingston, Jamaica the other day, and you won't believe the way those guys have their streets decked out, even in poor areas. You'll never see an open gutter, and all the streets have covered drainage with sidewalks. You rarely see even a drop of sand on the roads. I mean, if Kingston can do it what is Lagos' problem? Look at the scene below. Victoria Island. ''High brow area''. It's just a total mess. It's as if we regard pedestrians as total non-entities who don't deserve the least attention.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1311610_IMG_0135_JPG6f25116bc1a62c501f69584f4c3f26f8

Here's a POOR AREA in Kingston:

Here's Downtown Kingston:

Kingston Jamaica

See, the govt here fully understands that roads are meant not just for cars, but for pedestrians as well.

Why this basic common sense escapes our so-called leaders in Nigeria, God only knows.

7 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 6:52am On Sep 18, 2013
Danhumprey: OP,are you blaming the government for the 'Open Gutter' syndrome or what? The government did it's part by building the drainage and employing task force to maintain it.

People like you need to rid yourselves of the ignorance that says it's ok for govt to build open sewers which ''the people'' ought to help ''maintain''. No responsible govt builds open sewers anywhere in the world.

3 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by pomporiking: 7:13am On Sep 18, 2013
Open gutter syndrome cheesy cheesy.una for this nl sef
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by UyiIredia(m): 7:24am On Sep 18, 2013
@ Danhumphrey: Rossik nicely shows the flaw in your point. Don't expect mediocrity to be maintained.

@ Rossik: Nicely done. Instead of pavements as we see in those shots of Jamaica, what you have is poorly covered drainages which contain stagnant water.

2 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by KnowAll(m): 7:25am On Sep 18, 2013
If poor jamica can do it why can't rich Nigeria. And to think VI is one of d most exclusive neigbourhood in Africa is beyond believe. What is difficult in digging d ground and burying a big pipe undergtound that would take d sewers to d sea. Na waoh, to even think world acclaimed eko atlantic city would be built just adjacent VI is something i don't get. Fashola fall my hand for this one oh!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by BarryX(m): 7:26am On Sep 18, 2013
The open gutters is quite an eyesore to be realistic--
Though there are some roads such as Western Avenue ( funso Williams) where they did the needful - others are just some smelly- Stagnant mess.
Even Ozumba Mbadiwe VI - Kudirat Abiola- Ikeja are just pathetic sights

2 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 18, 2013
Perhaps one should attribute the nonchalant attitudes of our so-called looters leaders to beautification of our environments.
If I say lack of exposure, I might be wrong after all... Could it be illiteracy? Nope...!!!

Maybe it's a curse... Wait! Yes... Yes... Now I know it the damn sh*t runs their bloods... I mean alla em.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by otokx(m): 7:46am On Sep 18, 2013
All over Nigeria this open gutter syndrome is rampant. The gutters if not filled by litter, get filled by sand. The water that is meant to flow off the road comes back to the road from the gutter.

1 Like

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Gbawe: 7:49am On Sep 18, 2013
First of all OP, I direct you to look at your pictures again. These are not strictly "open gutters" as a construction concern. These are a style of perfectly functional and acceptable street drainage built to be covered with pre-cast concrete slabs. It appears that the precast slabs have been damaged over time and not replaced. What Lagos should simply do, if the original gutters are still functional enough for effective drainage and effluence, is to replace the slabs. That, if the original gutters work well, is the "upgrade" required as it will address the issues of aesthetic overall look and effective covers for drainage gutters as originally built.

It is when original drainage channels becomes inadequate, perhaps because population growth has increased effluent waste, that it may be replaced with bigger,better and more modern drainage. I showed such here with my own pictures of Bode Thomas, Surulere on the thread below. This is why Lagosians who move beyond simplistically demanding solutions, to note the serious financial constraint Fashola faces, will understand that real effort shows that Fashola knows what has to be done but finances and budgeting , plus a callously unhelpful FG, presents a real challenge no responsible adult should wish away or ignore. Let us try and understand the challenges the Governor and the State face before commenting. There is a thread here currently showing the pitiful State of the National Stadium in Surulere which should be maintained pristinely by the FG as a National sporting centre. It is the same sad story of shocking neglect of federal roads and infrastructure in Lagos.

Yet we all know that Mr.President's ludicrously bloated airfleet of ten is immaculately maintained with N18 billion per annum. We know his 'treated cars' gulp a fortune and know his stomach is 'maintained' ultra-efficiently with the best money can buy. This is where we the ordinary citizen abet the failure leaders deliver. I.e very few Nigerians look at the root cause of the problem which is that we still have too many leaders like GEJ, not in power to serve and not at all willing to compromise, being supported blindly and clannishly while the undoubted and pragmatic reality is that these sort make things very difficult for those who are genuinely interested in aggressively improving the lives of Nigerians like Fashola.

We then muddy the water with senselessly partisan arguments when the facts and reality are there before our eyes. For the serious burden of Lagos, the State needs far more help from the FG than it is getting. If you love your State of Lagos, then join the awareness campaign to show the world, on threads like this, the 'raw deal' Lagos gets despite hosting the largest number of Nigerians by far in the smallest State in the Nation. That consideration must be placed alongside any argument to insist Fashola 'Dubai-rize' Lagos when he lacks the willing assistance seen in nations where politicians do not play politics of enmity with everything to the extent one of the assets of the Nation, like Lagos, is deliberately neglected, under-counted, undermined and left to perform 'Rabbit out of a hat' miracle. A Lagos with an FG as a willing and proactive partner would be drastically much better than what we have today.

https://www.nairaland.com/826649/what-big-deal-fashola-nonsense/1

Old drainage channels, Bode Thomas , Surulere.

New channels that replaced the old drainage system shown above.

1 Like

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by bloggernaija: 7:50am On Sep 18, 2013
Not when people drink purewater ,roast corn ,buy suya groundnut .and all the associated waste it creates.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by bibiking7(m): 8:31am On Sep 18, 2013
Those drainages were actually covered with concrete slabs which have either been removed (yes, removed) or damaged over time. Maintenance is a serious problem in Nigeria, hence they have been left uncovered for so long. Theft and vandalism is also a big issue. People actually steal the manhole covers on some roads in lagos (whyyy? I don't know). Its sickening and appalling.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Gbawe: 8:46am On Sep 18, 2013
bibiking7: [b]Those drainages were actually covered with concrete slabs which have either been removed (yes, removed) or damaged over time. [/b]Maintenance is a serious problem in Nigeria, hence they have been left uncovered for so long. Theft and vandalism is also a big issue. People actually steal the manhole covers on some roads in lagos (whyyy? I don't know). Its sickening and appalling.

Thank you. Even the pictures OP supplied confirm this as we can all clearly see a few precast concrete slabs still in place. If the gutters are still efficient and adequate for effluence, then they simply need to clear the gutters and replace lost/damaged slabs.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Peinstein: 9:00am On Sep 18, 2013
Most of the new roads being constructed in Lagos at the moment do have closed drainages. The ones you do see with open drainages were constructed at a time when there wasn't much attention to beautification.

The particular one you posted is also a form of closed drainage just that the slabs weren't fixed to the sides of the drainages. One of the reasons they are partly damaged might be due to the activities of telecoms companies laying cables and also our lack of maintenance of infrastructures.

Open drainages are actually an eyesore and I think the goverment and invividuals should take a collective responsibility to closing up existing open drains. Nothing bad if landlords decide to cover the drains in front of his houses, the only problem however might be uniformity and aesthetics.

Apart from aesthetics, open drainages makes it easy for people to dump objects in it and when blocked is not good for public health
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Gbawe: 9:33am On Sep 18, 2013
Peinstein: Most of the new roads being constructed in Lagos at the moment do have closed drainages. The ones you do see with open drainages were constructed at a time when there wasn't much attention to beautification.

The particular one you posted is also a form of closed drainage just that the slabs weren't fixed to the sides of the drainages. One of the reasons they are partly damaged might be due to the activities of telecoms companies laying cables and also our lack of maintenance of infrastructures.

Open drainages are actually an eyesore and I think the goverment and invividuals should take a collective responsibility to closing up existing open drains. Nothing bad if landlords decide to cover the drains in front of his houses, the only problem however might be uniformity and aesthetics.

Apart from aesthetics, open drainages makes it easy for people to dump objects in it and when blocked is not good for public health

Indeed. It is mischievous and ignorant for anyone to write as if Fashola perseveres with open drainage. What people do not appreciate is that many gutters were made to be covered with precast concrete slabs with appropriate provisions to facilitate the lifting of the slabs when such is required. These sort of gutters, if they are still 100% adequate, should simply be covered with more modern covers like those below which may be metal or concrete. The choices today are actually nicer looking to the extent good standard of construction can give effects that is functional yet pleasing to the eye.

Precast U slab concrete drain covers.

1 Like

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by iterator25: 11:23am On Sep 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: In Lagos open gutter is an integrated design for rain water drainage. Lagos State Govt would love to implement a new design with underground drainage and channels, however, two factors make that impossible.

1. War against litters

2. Sea level.
what will it take the government to cover them with some sort of perforated concrete? Yet Lagos state generate billions of naira in tax revenue
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Kairoseki77: 11:37am On Sep 18, 2013
Jakumo:

I'm so sorry, Mayor of Lagos, but I'm going to have to pull out my bullchit whistle and call you out, because open sewers are found EXCLUSIVELY in cities and slums of the Third World, and nowhere else on this green planet. I have either lived in or visited Los Angeles, San Fancisco, San Diego and New York, ALL of which are low-lying coastal cities, and I can attest that there are NO open sewers in ANY of those citites. Having spent time in more than a few coastal towns in the UK as well, I failed to spot a SINGLE Lagos-style open sewer there as well.

In short, your second claim above is blatantly false in every regard, and does not correlate with any reality that can be seen in the developed world. All the same, your valiant attempt to pass off pseudo-science as verifyable fact is understandable, given your obvious love and PATRIOTIC loyalty to Lagos and Nigeria.

Your first assertion about Nigerians being chronic litter-bugs may be true as a stand-alone assertion, but it still does NOT amount to a plausible reason why Nigerian urban developers have so far failed to adopt the sub-terranian sewage networks that are ubiquitous in the cities and towns of the developed world. The truth is that trash accumulates in ALL sewage disposal networks, and is routinely vacumed out of specially designed UNDERGROUND sumps, by purpose-built city trucks manned by trained crews.

I am so sorry Jakumo, but I am going to have to pull out my bullchit whistle and call you out because open sewers are NOT found exclusively in "third world" countries. That claim is blatantly false in every regard. I know from your post history that you hate Yorubas and the SW, but clearly your hate has clouded your memory. When you were doing all that imaginary travelling you would have come across open sewers in many of the cities you named.

Having ACTUALLY travelled, your post sounded ridiculous the moment I heard it.

I have lived in NY, and there absolutely are open gutters. They are just cleverly hidden. Pics below.

Go get a passport (hint: it's green) and try again.

The placement of the sewers isn't the problem, it is the fact that they are uncovered. Why aren't they covered?

As a Lagosian, it is obvious to me that covering these sewers with grates (like in the picture above) would lead to the sewers becoming clogged. People would just throw trash on top of the grate and block it. Worse, touts would even open up shops on top of the gutters.

1 Like

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by iterator25: 11:48am On Sep 18, 2013
My opinion - fashola has done nothing in Lagos sad

2 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by demmy(m): 11:59am On Sep 18, 2013
Jakumo:

I'm so sorry, Mayor of Lagos, but I'm going to have to pull out my bullchit whistle and call you out, because open sewers are found EXCLUSIVELY in cities and slums of the Third World, and nowhere else on this green planet. I have either lived in or visited Los Angeles, San Fancisco, San Diego and New York, ALL of which are low-lying coastal cities, and I can attest that there are NO open sewers in ANY of those citites. Having spent time in more than a few coastal towns in the UK as well, I failed to spot a SINGLE Lagos-style open sewer there as well.

Your first assertion about Nigerians being chronic litter-bugs may be true as a stand-alone assertion, but it still does NOT amount to a plausible reason why Nigerian urban developers have so far failed to adopt the sub-terranian sewage networks that are ubiquitous in the cities and towns of the developed world. The truth is that trash accumulates in ALL sewage disposal networks, and is routinely vacumed out of specially designed UNDERGROUND sumps, by purpose-built city trucks manned by trained crews.

Thank you for this great post.

New Orleans is below sea level and do not have open sewage.

Its still baffles me that Nigerians civil engineers and contractors are still building open gutters in these modern day and age. Underground sewage system would also help reduce those nasty vectors of malaria, mosquitoes.

2 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Kairoseki77: 11:59am On Sep 18, 2013
iterator25: My opinion - fashola has done nothing in Lagos sad

Your opinion has been noted. wink

It has been referred to the relevant authorities and we will get back to you shortly.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by demmy(m): 12:03pm On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

I am so sorry Jakumo, but I am going to have to pull out my bullchit whistle and call you out because open sewers are NOT found exclusively in "third world" countries. I know from your post history that you hate Yorubas and the SW, but clearly your hate has clouded your memory. When you were doing all that imaginary travelling you would have come across open sewers in many of the cities you named.

I have lived in NY, and there absolutely are open gutters. They are just cleverly hidden. Pics below.

NYC has gutters that drain straight into their massive underground sewer system.

Those are drains not open sewage gutter.

7 Likes

Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by Kairoseki77: 12:07pm On Sep 18, 2013
demmy:

Those are drains not open sewage gutter.

They are the exact same thing.
Re: The Open Gutter Syndrome (Victoria Island Pictures) by grafikii: 12:16pm On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

I am so sorry Jakumo, but I am going to have to pull out my bullchit whistle and call you out because open sewers are NOT found exclusively in "third world" countries. I know from your post history that you hate Yorubas and the SW, but clearly your hate has clouded your memory. When you were doing all that imaginary travelling you would have come across open sewers in many of the cities you named.

The placement of the sewers isn't the problem, it is the fact that they are uncovered. Why aren't they covered?

As a Lagosian, it is obvious to me that covering these sewers with grates (like in the picture above) would lead to the sewers becoming clogged. People would just throw trash on top of the grate and block it. Worse, touts would even open up shops on top of the gutters.
Yeah we used to have a lot of these till some people started stealing them to be melted to other things (you know who) . Metal covers are the best solution for Lagos roads.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senators To Contribute N300k Each For IDPs & Rehabilitation Of North-East / 1,723 Contractors Received N70bn Without Mobilising To Site ―Reps / Tinubu Condemns Mass Killing In Owo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.