Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,643 members, 7,801,871 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken (18717 Views)

Foods That Make Your Buttocks Bigger Naturally / I Made Fried Chicken For The First Time Today / Has Anyone Eaten This Black Chicken From Indonesia? (see Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:40am On Sep 20, 2013
Do dey eat that black chicken? It does not look edible...
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by CharliParker: 7:51am On Sep 20, 2013
Me i will chop am

1 Like

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by ozoemeka(m): 7:51am On Sep 20, 2013
throws up

olempe: Did you know there was such a thing as black chicken? And I don’t mean as in dark feathers, but black skin, bones and even internal organs. There are actually several black chicken breeds in the world, especially in Asia, but the most popular of all has to be the Chinese Silkie.

Silkies are beautiful birds, covered in fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk, but underneath all that fluff they are far less attractive. Their skin is a dark-bluish color, the flesh is dark beige and the bones and some internal organs are pitch black. Although in the Western world silkie chickens are sold mainly for ornamental purposes, in countries like China they are considered a super food and are appreciated for their deep, gammy flavor. Called “wu gu ji” or “black-boned chicken”, the silkie has been prized for its medicinal value ever since the seventh or eighth century. Chinese women consume it after they have given birth to get a boost of energy, but it’s also said to have a positive effect on the yin, blood, lungs and stomach. Silkie meat is rarely roasted. To take full advantage of its curative properties, the Chinese mainly use it to make an amber-colored broth laced with ginseng , dried wolfberries and jujubes.

According to a genetic study published in 2011, the unique trait of silkie chickens, known as fibromelanosis, is caused by an unusual genetic mutation characterized as “a complex rearrangement that leads to increased expression of Endothelin 3, a gene which is known for promoting the growth of pigment cells”. The massive expansion of pigment cells not only makes the skin and bones black, but also causes dark internal organs. Another interesting thing about silkies is their high content of carnosine, a naturally occurring peptide which is sold as a dietary supplement. People take it to increase muscle mass, ward of the effects of aging and alleviate diseases like diabetes or autism. Studies have shown the black chicken is one of the richest sources of carnosine.

If you’re wondering how black chicken meat tastes, most people say it’s no different than traditional chicken, but some say it’s a little sweeter. So, would you embrace the dark side and feast on the dark flesh of a silkie?

[img]http://1.bp..com/-m7crTs40too/UjlcJNGdoDI/AAAAAAAACbI/MWuLdfMFr5Y/s400/1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-OVFqF_xQPSk/Ujlbrsy_7wI/AAAAAAAACbA/DM2w5qpDq4g/s320/black-chicken-550x362.jpg[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-aQ0vuoswYB8/UjlcJe8-lcI/AAAAAAAACbM/5Hl4Q4epAZ8/s400/2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-4H6BNqta4t0/UjlcK8c4hQI/AAAAAAAACbg/n-cfcdc49Dk/s400/3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-j4f9jlm1-QI/UjlcKRJFHjI/AAAAAAAACbY/c0caD4ujc1M/s400/4.jpg[/img]

SOURCE: http://myoddnews..com/2013/09/the-dark-side-of-cooking-see-naturally.html
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Oguieke(m): 8:01am On Sep 20, 2013
too black&dark
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Salmoneus(m): 8:01am On Sep 20, 2013
If I can create bleaching creams for these black chicken I'd be rich cheesy
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by eightsin(m): 8:12am On Sep 20, 2013
Those of you expressing disgust at d sight of the black chicken...i hope u know that that's the way white folks feel when they see us black people.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by pickabeau1: 8:30am On Sep 20, 2013
wow... we learn everyday

1 Like

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by adorable29(f): 8:33am On Sep 20, 2013
Merkki: I rebuke you black creature of the chicken kingdom!!!!
lmao
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by emmabest2000(m): 8:37am On Sep 20, 2013
Point of correction Chinese people don't eat the black chicken meat , They usually used the black chicken to prepare a hot water soup with some Chinese traditional food stuffs , the called it 汤 in Chinese language , the soup will be boiled for two hours and they drink only the soup water without eating the meat ... grin the black chicken meat is tasteless though tongue
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by crackhaus: 8:43am On Sep 20, 2013
Another thing to do before I die... Eat a black chicken!

1 Like

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Arosa(m): 8:43am On Sep 20, 2013
Nairaland is full of ninnies. see their black-mouths like "I can't eat black chicken". angry

1 Like

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by MCKULQ(m): 8:49am On Sep 20, 2013
am travelling to china for research on these. embarassed
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Arosa(m): 8:51am On Sep 20, 2013
MCKULQ: am travelling to china for research on these. embarassed

wise move!
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by IAMBREEZY: 8:54am On Sep 20, 2013
GOD FORBID BAD THING.
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Chiopatra: 8:58am On Sep 20, 2013
You guys are seriously racist .

1 Like

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by toskut(m): 9:36am On Sep 20, 2013
jidegirl12:

Sort of. Its mainly Chinese delicacy, those guys eat bile. sad shocked ( sold in their stores)
SERIOUSLY?
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by chronique(m): 9:41am On Sep 20, 2013
Never in my life will I try this. It looks disgusting!
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Tats(m): 9:48am On Sep 20, 2013
Kudos to all those who have defended being black as not something to despise.

Now you imagine or wonder how Caucasians feel when they see someone black, especially in countries or regions where they rarely see black people.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Decryptor(m): 9:58am On Sep 20, 2013
A chicken bred in devil's poultry farm
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by arthgideon: 10:18am On Sep 20, 2013
The chicken looks disgusting.
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Carl007: 10:19am On Sep 20, 2013
Does it crow,bark and cry?...just like normal chinco phones with TV,Radio etc
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by joelenesleek(f): 10:37am On Sep 20, 2013
Black is Beautiful but should be Restricted in some things and areas.
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by vanunu: 11:37am On Sep 20, 2013
This chicken resemble disgusting amala
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by AntiSerious: 12:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
jidegirl12: I've tried it, alone ( nobody in my house liked the look) It actually tastes just like any other chicken but leaner ( less fat), just make sure you floss and swoosh your mouth afterwards. Not pretty grin

It was frozen ( bought from Chinese store) , I just sectioned it to 4 , boiled and broil and ate it like that. Can't stand the look for so long in my pot.

shocked shocked.....u bought it,chai, u dey lie ooOOO,double tuale for you...#GBAM!!
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Eskalade(m): 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2013
Dis one na natural poison arrghhhh,,
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by chukxie(m): 1:21pm On Sep 20, 2013
emma_best2000: Point of correction Chinese people don't eat the black chicken meat , They usually used the black chicken to prepare a hot water soup with some Chinese traditional food stuffs , the called it 汤 in Chinese language , the soup will be boiled for two hours and they drink only the soup water without eating the meat ... grin the black chicken meat is tasteless though tongue

I'm reeling on the floor with laughter! grin grin Teacher, please, don't teach us nonsense! Who told you Chinese people don't eat black chicken? Ogbemi carry this your lecture go backyard. I don see where people dey wack the chicken wella. I, myself , have eaten it on a couple of times.
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
Anti-Serious:
shocked shocked.....u bought it,chai, u dey lie ooOOO,double tuale for you...#GBAM!!

When I saw it, I honestly thought it was Quail ( Awo right?) cos of its long neck ( didn't look) in the pack, so when I got home I realized it was a silkie. ( mind you quail was just as dark but not entirely black black like silkie)
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 20, 2013
emma_best2000: Point of correction Chinese people don't eat the black chicken meat , They usually used the black chicken to prepare a hot water soup with some Chinese traditional food stuffs , the called it 汤 in Chinese language , the soup will be boiled for two hours and they drink only the soup water without eating the meat ... grin the black chicken meat is tasteless though tongue

Errrr they eat it , must've bought it for wrong purpose then if its solely for medicinal purpose, and why was it in the frozen meat aisle if they're that special ? undecided
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 20, 2013
chukxie:

I'm reeling on the floor with laughter! grin grin Teacher, please, don't teach us nonsense! Who told you Chinese people don't eat black chicken? Ogbemi carry this your lecture go backyard. I don see where people dey wack the chicken wella. I, myself , have eaten it on a couple of times.

Don't mind the guy jare grin
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 20, 2013
Mayflowa: I am sad for the people who call it ugly and disgusting because it is dark-skin chicken!

Please don't ever blame white people hating on our black skin. One would think black people will embrace black chicken more. You guys would have been worse than racist if you were white cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

If you're familiar with ugly duckling story , yes that's how I see the poor bird.

I think it's better as Pets esp with its fluffy fur. grin
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by normalcent(m): 2:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
Na wa 4 chinko evri tin z made in china grin
Re: Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken by AK481(m): 3:31pm On Sep 20, 2013
racism

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Sugar Of N50 Is Now N100 / How Much Is One Derica Of Rice In Your Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.