Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) (24205 Views)

Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? / Why Do Muslims Hate Christians So Much, Could This Be The Anti-christ Coming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by grafikii: 10:18am On Sep 18, 2013
Ok, is it lawful to do this,
Did the prophet ever do it
Where did it originate from

I don't know the English or arabic name else i would have done a search online.

Pls someone should answer my question, i am a muslim too but i am always skeptical of drinking that stuff.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by opeano(m): 10:49am On Sep 18, 2013
hmmm. U r diggin deeper dan u can fill. D ryt ansa is on its way if only u can define peace in d islamic sense
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by grafikii: 10:56am On Sep 18, 2013
Please someone should answer me, @mclatunji, @tbaba, @deols or any other muslim here.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by musaajebor(m): 11:00am On Sep 18, 2013
Its is only practiced in Nigeria.the hausas do it too . They call it rubutu.
I think its used to support prayers and fasting for anyone In spiritual distress.sometimes its used to ward off jinns.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by grafikii: 11:11am On Sep 18, 2013
musa ajebor: Its is only practiced in Nigeria.the hausas do it too . They call it rubutu.
I think its used to support prayers and fasting for anyone In spiritual distress.sometimes its used to ward off jinns.
But is it lawful in islam, did the prophet ever recommend or perform such acts. My fear is it could be fetishism or pagan. Who knows if it was jinn instructed.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by musaajebor(m): 12:21pm On Sep 18, 2013
^^ yeah your right . It has a pagan origin.it is not a purely Islamic practice to the best of my knowledge.
Practices such as exorcism,palm reading,spiritual baths(not ablution) with concocted soaps are also some of those fetish practices performed by mallams.
Talk of traces of pagansm in Islam in subsaharan Africa.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by grafikii: 12:25pm On Sep 18, 2013
musa ajebor: ^^ yeah your right . It has a pagan origin.it is not a purely Islamic practice to the best of my knowledge.
Practices such as exorcism,palm reading,spiritual baths(not ablution) with concocted soaps are also some of those fetish practices performed by mallams.
Talk of traces of pagansm in Islam in subsaharan Africa.
Thanks so much. I guess it's something that one should reject
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by musaajebor(m): 12:27pm On Sep 18, 2013
But then.there is this aspect of Islamic knowledge known as mysticism or sufiism which is called asiri( the secret) which is different from paganism. It is a higher knowledge similar to the apocryphal 6th and 7th books of Moses.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by grafikii: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2013
musa ajebor: But then.there is this aspect of Islamic knowledge known as mysticism or sufiism which is called asiri( the secret) which is different from paganism. It is a higher knowledge similar to the apocryphal 6th and 7th books of Moses.
Ok this is getting scary, i believe so called those books of moses has a lot to do with ancient Jewish witchcraft and jinns, i don't believe they have anything to do with islam. As i don't know of any evidence of such in the quran and hadiths. Btw is sufiism true islam or paganism
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by musaajebor(m): 1:12pm On Sep 18, 2013
grafikii:
Ok this is getting scary, i believe so called those books of moses has a lot to do with ancient Jewish witchcraft and jinns, i don't believe they have anything to do with islam. As i don't know of any evidence of such in the quran and hadiths. Btw is sufiism true islam or paganism
the books of Moses is not Jewish witchcraft but Jewish scripture . And yes it has to do with jinns and angels.
The qur'an was inspired by Allah to the holy prophet(saw) but then it tells the stories of Jewish prophets from ibrahim(as),yusuf(as),musa (as) and even isa(as). So the Jews practice Judaism( ie the law of Moses) and the Muslims practice Islam and still recognise Jewish laws such as abrahamic ram sacrifice,worship of God by putting off of shoes in woesip places, and bowing with ur head to the ground which is mosaic. Also the laws of Moses are accepted in Islam.
Finally , I will like to say here that the 6th and 7th books of Moses were excluded from the bible for obvious reason but they are studied in the higher learning of Islam.which is sufiism or mysticsm which is different from paganism.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by maclatunji: 1:14pm On Sep 18, 2013
OP, if you search hadith and sunnah and you don't find it there, throw it away.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by musaajebor(m): 1:24pm On Sep 18, 2013
maclatunji: OP, if you search hadith and sunnah and you don't find it there, throw it away.
I agree with u on that. But the question is can u tell us if it is or its not in the sunnah.?
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by lanrexlan(m): 1:37pm On Sep 18, 2013
Question
- Is it permissible to write the verse of Al-Kursi, [Quran 2: 255],or any other chapter from the Quran on a piece of paper and then put this piece of paper in water and the patient drinks it?
- If it is permissible, is there evidence from the Quran supporting its permissibility?
- Is it permissible to use supplications instead of Quranic verses in the same manner? According to the Sunnah, are there certain supplications that may be dissolved in water and then drunk?
Answer
All perfect praise be to Allaah,The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah,and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. Scholars have varying opinions regarding the permissibility of writing verses from the Quran on a piece of paper, tablet, dish or vessel and then washing it with water and giving this water to the patient to drink as a remedy.
Some of them considered it an innovation in religion,such as the Maaliki scholar Ibn Al-‘Arabi whereas some of the righteous predecessors held that it was permissible and they quoted a narration on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbaas. In this regard, the Hanbali scholar,Ibn Al-Qayyim mentioned on the authority of Mujaahid and Abu Qilaabah that a group of the righteous predecessors were of the view that it was permissible to write verses from the Quran, wash them with water and then let the patient drink it. Another scholar supporting this view was the Shaafi‘i scholar, An-Nawawi . He mentioned that Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Mujaahid, Abu Qilaabah and Al-Awzaa‘i held that it was permissible, whereas An- Nakha‘i considered it to be disliked. An-Nawawi added that it was permissible according to the requisites of the Shaafi‘i School of Fiqh, and that Al-Qaadhi Husayn, Al-Baghawi and others held it to be permissible. Ibn Taymiyyah quoted the view of Ahmad and mentioned that it was permissible to write some verses from the Quran using permissible ink and wash them with water and then let the patient drink it. Referring to this, ‘Abdullaah ibn Ahmad reported on the authority of his father (i.e. Ahmad ibn Hanbal ) that Ibn ‘Abbaas said that when a woman faces difficulty in childbirth, the following may be written for her:
Bismillaah. Laa ilaaha illa Allaah Al-Haleem Al-Kareem. Subhaanallaah Rabil-‘Arsh Al-‘Atheem. Al-Hamdulillaahi Rabil-‘Aalameen (In the name of Allaah, none is worthy of worship but Allaah, the Forbearing the Generous.Exalted is Allaah the Lord of the Great Throne. All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the worlds). {It will be, on the Day they see it, as though they had not remained [in the world] except for an afternoon or a morning thereof.} [Quran 79: 46] {On the Day they see that which they are promised - as though they had not remained [in the world] except an hour of a day. [This is] notification. And will [any] be destroyed except the defiantly disobedient people?} [Quran 46: 35]
He also reported on the authority of his father that it was permissible to write verses from the Quran on a clean vessel, wash it with water and let the patient drink it. Wakee' added to the narration of Ibn ‘Abbaas that the woman drinks from the water and the part of her body below the navel is sprinkled with it.

Consequently,we see that it is permissible to do this when the following prerequisites are satisfied:Using pure ink when writing the Quran and writing it on a pure object.
One should not write the verses with blood, as some ignorant people do, because blood is impure and the Book of Allaah and His verses are not to be exposed to impurities.
Read more here
www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=7852

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by musaajebor(m): 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2013
For instance, the ashura festval practiced in commemoration of the matyrdom of the prophet's grandson by shiite Muslims. Is it contained in the qur'an , hadith or the sunnah? Just asking.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by lanrexlan(m): 2:32pm On Sep 18, 2013
musa ajebor: For instance, the ashura festval practiced in commemoration of the matyrdom of the prophet's grandson by shiite Muslims. Is it contained in the qur'an , hadith or the sunnah? Just asking.
I know about fasting on the day of Ashura which is 10th day of the month of Muharram.
Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him)said:The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)came to Madinah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of 'Ashura'. He said,What is this? They said,This is a righteous day,it is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemies,so Musa fasted on this day.' He said,We have more right to Musa than you,' so he fasted on that day and commanded [the Muslims] to fast on that day." [Sahih Al-Bukhari,Hadith Number 1865]

Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said:I never saw the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) so keen to fast any day and give it priority over any other than this day,the day of 'Ashura',and this month,meaning Ramadhan.[Sahih Al-Bukhari,Hadith Number 1867]

But I don't think the prophet(pbuh) celebrated Ashura day as a festival.The Jews took Ashura day as a festival instead and He(pbuh) advised Muslims to be different from Jews.
Abu Musa (may Allah be pleased with him),who said:The Jews used to take the day of 'Ashura' as a festival [according to a report narrated by Sahih Muslim Reported Hadith Number 1916:the day of 'Ashura' was venerated by the Jews,who took it as a festival.According to another report also narrated by Muslim:the people of Khaybar (the Jews) used to take it as a festival and their women would wear their jewellery and symbols on that day].
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: 'So you [Muslims] should fast on that day.'[Reported by Al-Bukhari]
Allah knows best.....Peace

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by lanrexlan(m): 2:32pm On Sep 18, 2013
musa ajebor: For instance, the ashura festval practiced in commemoration of the matyrdom of the prophet's grandson by shiite Muslims. Is it contained in the qur'an , hadith or the sunnah? Just asking.
I know about fasting on the day of Ashura which is 10th day of the month of Muharram.
Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him)said:The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)came to Madinah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of 'Ashura'. He said,What is this? They said,This is a righteous day,it is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemies,so Musa fasted on this day.' He said,We have more right to Musa than you,' so he fasted on that day and commanded [the Muslims] to fast on that day." [Sahih Al-Bukhari,Hadith Number 1865]

Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said:I never saw the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) so keen to fast any day and give it priority over any other than this day,the day of 'Ashura',and this month,meaning Ramadhan.[Sahih Al-Bukhari,Hadith Number 1867]

But I don't think the prophet(pbuh) celebrated Ashura day as a festival.The Jews took Ashura day as a festival instead and He(pbuh) advised Muslims to be different from Jews.
Abu Musa (may Allah be pleased with him),who said:The Jews used to take the day of 'Ashura' as a festival [according to a report narrated by Sahih Muslim Reported Hadith Number 1916:the day of 'Ashura' was venerated by the Jews,who took it as a festival.According to another report also narrated by Muslim:the people of Khaybar (the Jews) used to take it as a festival and their women would wear their jewellery and symbols on that day].
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: 'So you [Muslims] should fast on that day.'[Reported by Al-Bukhari]
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by maclatunji: 3:06pm On Sep 18, 2013
musa ajebor: I agree with u on that. But the question is can u tell us if it is or its not in the sunnah.?
musa ajebor: I agree with u on that. But the question is can u tell us if it is or its not in the sunnah.?

Lanrexlan has done well to address this post.
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by AlBaqir(m): 10:06pm On Nov 03, 2013
grafikii: Ok, is it lawful to do this,

Pls someone should answer my question, i am a muslim too but i am always skeptical of drinking that stuff.

Dear brother there's nothing wrong with 'ountu' so long what you write is within the principles of Islam. Here one should be very careful as many evil scholars write names of Jinn etc. Many condemned it based on their belief saying whatever the holy prophet didn't perform is "Bid'a" (bad innovation) and we should go away from it. Please take your time and read my reply to a friend on "Bid'a":

WHAT IS BID'AH?
Linguistic Meaning of BID'AH :
1) The act of introducing something new.
2) The act of innovating; introduction of something
new, in customs, rites, etc. –(Dryden).

PROPHETIC meaning (and explanation):
1. Narrated Aisha:
Allah’s Apostle said, “If somebody innovates
something which is NOT IN HARMONY with the
principles of our religion, that thing is
rejected.”
(Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 49, Number 861)

2. Jarir b. Abdullah reported:
Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him)
said: He who introduced some good practice in Islam which was followed after him (by people) he would be assured of reward like one who followed it, without their rewards being diminished in any respect. And he who introduced some evil practice in Islam which had been followed subsequently (by others), he would be required to bear the burden like that of one who followed this (evil practice) without theirs being diminished in any respect.
(Sahih Muslim, Book 034, Number 6466)
The two above-qouted hadiths are enough to show that the holy prophet(saws) welcome new ideas and rites so far its within the scope and principles of Islam.

Ibn Abbas said: “Whatever the Qur’an termed as Halal is Halal and whatever it deemed Haram is Haram and about which it remained silent, this is forgiven” (Abu Dawud Vol 2)

Shah Abdul Haq Dehlwi, says in relation to the above hadith that: “The reason why ibn Abbas recited this was to let it be known that something can only become Haram by way of revelation and it was not permitted to make anything Haram through ones own desires” (Ash’atul Lum’aat Vol 3).

Concerning Nawafil, what says you on this:
Bukhari and Muslim relate from Abu Hurayra (Allah be
well pleased with him) that at the dawn prayer the
Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said to
Bilal, “Bilal, tell me which of your acts
in Islam you are most hopeful about, for I have heard
the footfall of your sandals in paradise”, and he replied,
“I have done nothing I am more hopeful about than the
fact that I do not perform ablution at any time of the
night or day without praying with that ablution
whatever has been destined for me to pray.”

Ibn Hajar Asqalani says in Fath al-Bari that the hadith
shows it is permissible to use personal reasoning

In light of the above-qouted evidences, how would you
put 'your bid'ah fatwa' on the following sahaba and
their innovations:

1) Narrated IsraiI:
Uthman bin ‘Abdullah bin Mauhab said, “My
people sent me with a bowl of water to Um
m Salama(one of the wives of Rasul).” Isra’il
approximated three fingers
(‘indicating the small size of the container in which
there was some hair of the Prophet.
‘Uthman added, “If any person suffered from
evil eye or some other disease, he would send a vessel
(containing water) to Um Salama. I looked into the
container (that held the hair of the Prophet) and saw a
few red hairs in it,”
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 784

Now Rasool Allah [saww] never asked the people to
drink from cup containing his hairs against diseases
and evil eye in his [saww] life time. It was only Ummul
Momineen Umm Salama who introduced this new
Action according to her own opinion.

Did Umm Salama really innovate, when she did it? If
yes, then where is the Salafi Fatwa (from 1st century to
this 14th century) on her misguidance?

2)Narrated by Ibn Hajar in al-Isaba fi tamyiz al-sahaba
(Calcutta, 1853) 1:72 under “Anas Ibn Malik.” Ibn al-
Sakan narrated through Safwan ibn Hubayra from the
latter’s father: Thabit al-Bunani said: Anas ibn Malik
said to me (on his death-bed): “This is one of the hairs
of Allah’s Messenger, Allah’s blessings and peace upon
him. I want you to place it under my tongue. “Thabit
continued: I placed it under his tongue, and he was
buried with it under his tongue.”
(Source: Encyclopaedia of Islamic Doctrine)

Rasool Allah [saww] never asked anyone to put his hair
under his tongue while getting buried. Ans bin Malik
introduced this new Action according to his own
opinion, while he knew that there is a Barakah in the
hairs of Rasool Allah [saww].

3) Narrated Thumama:
Anas said, “Um Sulaim used to spread a
leather sheet for the Prophet and he used to
take a midday nap on that leather sheet at her home.”
Anas added, “When the Prophet had slept, she would
take some of his sweat and hair and collect it (the
sweat) in a bottle and then mix it with Suk (a kind of
perfume) while he was still sleeping. “When the death
of Anas bin Malik approached, he advised that some of
that Suk be mixed with his Hanut (perfume for
embalming the dead body), and it was mixed with his
Hanut.
Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 74, Number 298

Rasool Allah [saww] never asked someone to collect his
sweat and Umm Sulaim did it according to her own
opinion.
Similarly, Rasool Allah [saww] never asked his sweat
and hair mixed with Suk to be used on a dead body as
Hanut. It was Anas bin Malik himself who did it
according to his own opinion, while they knew that
there is Barakah in sweat and hairs of Rasool Allah
[saww]. And it was not prohibited by the Sharia to
Hanut a dead body with Suk of Rasool Allah [saww]
in order to seek barakah.

4)Hajjaj ibn Hassan said:
“We were at Anas’s house and he brought up the
Prophet’s cup from a black pouch. He
ordered that it be filled with water and we
drank from it and poured some of it on our
heads and faces and sent blessings on the
Prophet. (Ahmad, Ibn Kathir.)

`Asim said: “I saw that cup and I drank from
it.”
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 53, Number 341

Rasool Allah never asked Anas either to order the
people to drink from that cup or to pour some of water
from that cup on the heads and faces of them.
Anas did it according to his personal opinion while he
knew that there is Barakah in that cup. And to obtain
blessing in SUCH WAY” from the Tabarukkat of Rasool
Allah [saww] is not prohibited

5) Ibn `Umar used to touch the seat of the
Prophet’s minbar and then wipe his face for
blessing.
References:
1. Al-Mughni 3:559
2. Al-Shifa’ 2:54; Ibn Sa`d,
3. Tabaqat 1:13;
4. Mawsu`at Fiqh `Abdullah ibn `Umar p. 52.)
(Source:Encyclopaedia of Islamic Doctrine)

Ibn Umar innovated this new act only while he knew
that there is Barakah in that minbar and it is not
prohibited in Sharia to seek barakah from minbar of
Rasool Allah [saww] by touching it and wiping on the
face.

6) Jabir sold a camel to the Prophet and the
latter gave instructions to Bilal to add a qirat (1/12
dirham) to the agreed sale price. Jabir said: “The
Prophet’s addition shall never leave me,” and he kept it
with him after that.
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 38, Number 504
A new act by Jabir in order to show respect to Rasool
Allah [saww]. Since showing respect to Rasool Allah
[saww] in this way is not prohibited by Sharia, no one
blamed Jabir for innovation.

7) When `Abdullah ibn Anis came back from
one of the battles having killed Khalid ibn
Sufyan ibn Nabih, the Prophet gifted him his
staff and said to him: “It will be a sign
between you and me on the Day of
Resurrection.” Thereafter he never parted with it and it
was buried with him when he died.
Narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad (3:496).

Rasool Allah [saww] never asked Abdullah ibn Anis to
take that staff with him in his grave, and he introduced
this new act only according to his own opinion.

cool Dawud ibn Salih says: “[The Caliph] Marwan [ibn al-
Hakam] one day saw a man placing his face on top of
the grave of the Prophet. He said: “Do you know what
you are doing?”
When he came near him, he realized it was
Abu Ayyub al-Ansari. The latter said: “Yes; I came to the Prophet, not to a stone.”

References:
1. Ahmad (5:422)
2. Ibn Hibban in his Sahih,
3. Tabarani in his Mu`jam al-kabir (4:189) and his
Awsat according to Haythami in
al-Zawa’id (5:245),
4. al-Hakim in his Mustadrak (4:515); both the latter
and al-Dhahabi said it was sahih.
5. It is also cited by al-Subki in Shifa’ al-siqam (p. 126),
6. Ibn Taymiyya in al-Muntaqa (2:261f.), and
7. Haythami in al-Zawa’id (4:2)

Paying respect to the signs of Allah and to seek
barakah from them is a virtuous act in Islam. Only
limitation put by Islam is “Prostration”. But Salafies
have made many more things Haram at their own.

9) Mu`adh ibn Jabal and Bilal also came to the grave of
the Prophet and sat weeping, and the latter rubbed his
face against it. Ibn Majah 2:1320.

Rasool Allah [saww] never asked Sahaba to place and
rub their faces on his grave, or to sit there and weep.
Abu Ayyub Ansari, Mu`adh ibn Jabal and Bilal did all
that according to their own opinion.

10) Imam Ahmad’s son `Abd Allah said: I asked my
father about the man who touches and kisses the
pommel of the Prophet’s minbar to obtain blessing, or
touches the grave of the Prophet. He responded by
saying: “There is nothing wrong with it.” `Abd Allah
also asked
Imam Ahmad about the man who touches the
Prophet’s minbar and kisses it for blessing, and who
does the same with the grave, or something to that
effect, intending thereby to draw closer to Allah. He
replied: “There is nothing wrong with it.”
This was narrated by `Abdullah ibn Ahmad ibn Hanbal
in his book entitled al-`Ilal fi ma`rifat al-rijal (2:492)(Source: Encyclopaedia of Islamic Doctrine)

11) Abdullah. the freed slave of Asma’ (the
daughter of Abu Bakr). the maternal uncle of the son of
‘Ata, reported: Asma’ sent me to ‘Abdullah b. ‘Umar
saying: The news has reached me that you prohibit the
use of three things: the striped robe. saddle cloth
made of red silk. and the fasting in the holy month of
Rajab. ‘Abdullah said to me: So far as what you say
about fasting in the month of Rajab, how about one
who observes continuous fasting? -and so far as what
you say about the striped garment, I heard Umar b.
Khatab say that he had heard from Allah’s Messenger
(may peace be upon him): He who wears silk garment
has no share for him (in the Hereafter), and I am afraid
it may not be that striped garment; and so far as the
red saddle cloth is concerned that is the saddle cloth of
Abdullah and it is red. I went back to Asma’ and
informed her. whereupon she said: Here is the cloak of
Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him). and she
brought out to me that cloak made of Persian cloth
with a hem of brocade, and its sleeves bordered with
brocade and said: This was Allah’s Messenger’s cloak
with ‘A’isha until she died, and when she died. I got
possession of it. The Apostle of Allah (may peace be
upon him) used to wear that, and we washed it for the
sick and sought cure thereby."

Sahih Muslim, Book 024, Number 5149

NB: Rasool Allah [saww] never asked to wash his cloak
and drink that water in order to get cure. All of these
Sahaba did it only according to their own opinion.

Why do the Salafi not deem Aisha and her sister Asma
bint Abi Bakr to be misguided innovators?
(Salafies must also declare both of them Mushrik,
having sought help from the cloak of Rasool [saww]
against disease, instead of seeking help from Allah
directly)
.Double Standards!

12) al-Tabarani in al-Awsat and al-Kabir (4:16), and
Imam Ahmad in his Musnad (5:67-68) with a sound
chain as stated by al-Haythami in al- Zawa’id (4:211)
narrated through Handhalah Ibn Hudhaym that the
latter went with his grandfather, Hudhaym, to the
Prophet. Hudhaym said to the Messenger of Allah:
“I have sons and grandsons, some of whom are
pubescent and others still children.” Motioning to the
young child next to him, he said: “This is the
youngest.” The Prophet brought this young child
whose name was Handhalah next to him, wiped on his
head, and told him, “barakallahu fik,” which means:
“May Allah bless you.” After that, people started to
bring Handhalah a person with a swollen face or a
sheep with a swollen udder. Handhalah would place his
hand on that part of his head the Prophet wiped, then
touch the swollen part and say Bismillah, and the
swelling would be cured.
Source: Encyclopaedia of Islamic Doctrine

Handhalah did it according to his own opinion. Was he
really indulged in Dhalalah(misguidance)?

13) The Tabi`i Thabit al-Bunani said he used to go to
Anas Ibn Malik, kiss his hands, and say:“These are
hands that touched the Prophet. ”
He would kiss his eyes and say: “These are
eyes that saw the Prophet.”
Abu Ya`la narrated it in his Musnad (6:211) and Ibn
Hajar mentioned it in his al-Matalib al-`aliya (4:111).
al-Haythami declared it sound in Majma` al-zawa’id
(9:325).
Thabit al-Bunani did it (i.e. kissing the hands of Anas)
only according to his own opinion. And Anas did not
prohibit him by declaring it Bidah of misguidance.

14) According to Bukhari in his Adab al-mufrad, `Abd
al-Rahman ibn Razin related that one of the
Companions, Salama ibn al-Aku`, raised his hands
before a group of people and said: “With these very
hands I pledged allegiance (bay`a) to the Messenger of
Allah,” upon hearing which, all who were present got
up and went to kiss his hand.

NB: This Sahabi Salama ibn al-Aku did this new act (i.e.
asking the others to kiss his hands), while he knew
that his hands had also barakah while with them he
pledged allegiance to Rasool Allah [saww]. But does
Salama’s asking other Sahaba for this new act really
make him an innovator and misguided one?

15) Narrated Abu Burda:
When I came to Medina. I met Abdullah bin
Salam. He said, “Will you come to me so that I may
serve you with Sawiq (i.e. powdered barley) and dates,
and let you enter a (blessed) house that in which the
Prophet entered?”
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 58, Number 159

NB:Rasool Allah [saww] never asked Abdullah bin
Salam to offer people to enter in that House. It was
Abdullah bin Salam’s own opinion that a House, in
which Rasool Allah [saww] had entered, became
blessed. And other people must also enter in it in order
to obtain blessings.

16) Sahih Bukhari [Chapter of Istisqa']:
Annas narrated: Whenever drought threatened them,
`Umar ibn al-Khattab used to ask Allah for rain through
the mediation of al-`Abbas ibn `Abd al-Muttalib. He
[`Umar] used to say: “O Allah! We used to ask you
through the means of our Prophet and You would bless
us with rain, and now we ask You through the means of
our Prophet’s uncle, so bless us with rain.”
And it would rain.

Kawthari in his Maqalat (p. 411) cites Ibn `Abd al-
Barr’s commentary in al-Isti`ab that
`Umar used al-`Abbas in response to Ka`b’s
words: “O Commander of the believers, the
Bani Isra`il in such circumstances used to pray for rain
by means of the relatives of Prophets.”

NB:Rasool Allah [saww] never asked the companions to
ask for things through his relatives after him. Umar did
It according to his own opinion when Ka’b told him that
Bani Israel used to pray to God through the relative of
their prophets.

17. "RadiAllahu anhum"," Allahuma sali ala Muhammad
wa ala ahlihi WA AS'HABIHI ajma'in"

NB: it is obvious the holy prophet NEVER did all that
and the sahaba themselves never pertook in that; and
the Tabi'in never did that despite the fact that they all
read Qur'an saying "Radi Allahu an hum..." And none had ever put "...wa ashabihi ajmain" in their respective salawat. Besides
where did the Rasul included 'the sahaba' in his
Durood (salawat)?

It is only our initiative that tell us it can be done.

Conclusion
All the above-mentioned Sahaba introduced a new
action according to their own Opinions, while they
thought these new actions is in complete harmony
with the principles of Islam.

"Ountu" is definitely not needed during the life-time of Rasul because he himself is a blessing and mercy; thereby whenever there's any problem with any sahaba, they rushed down to Rasul and he will either pray or wipe with his blessed hand and the problem will vanish instantly. Now he's not among us in person but there's a legacy he left - Qur'an.

Allah says Qur'an is Shifa (cure) and Rahma (mercy) for the believers. How is it Shifa and Rahma? Never has it been explain in the Qur'an. Every single letter of the Qur'an is believed to be as-Shifa and Rahma but how? This is where we've been left free to use Qur'an the way we dim fit provided it is still within the principle of Islam.

Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (a.s) has asked many of his companion to write certain verses of the Qur'an on the hide of deer or certain animal and keep within their body for protection against evil, magic and misfortune. How about that?

Salam

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by AlBaqir(m): 10:13pm On Nov 03, 2013
grafikii: Ok, is it lawful to do this,

As per my points (above), your opinion is welcome.
Please don't assume "ountu" is only peculiar to west Africa dear brother. Here we use extract of a certain leaf (tadawa) as ink and Tablet (wala) as written pad. Then we either use zamzam water or clean water to wash. Content might be ayatul Qursiy, sura al-falaq or Nas etc from the Qur'an or a reliable Du'a of the holy prophet. I ask you what is bad in all these?

In the core Islamic states (Arabian peninsula or Asia or Indo-Asia), they use Zafran (sometimes mixed with rose-water) as ink.
Are all these not within the fold of Islam?

But a situation where certain people use blood as ink, washed-water of the dead and skull or scapula bone of the dead as written tablet; do anyone need to be told such a practice has gone out of the fold of Islam?

Why do we need to drink Agbo or use a drug to cure our ailments? Those things never works unless there's Allah's Rahma (mercy) and baraka (blessings) on it. They are agent embedded with Allah's baraka.

My believe is reading Qur'an will not only bring thawab (reward) but also procure solution to predicaments. Likewise reciting it inside water or writing it with a pure (drinkable) ink, wash and drink will also have more effect.

Salam.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by AlBaqir(m): 7:01am On Nov 04, 2013

In sha Allah you will read a lot about Ashura + associated things and events in subsequent posts as we are very much in the holy month of Muharram in which 'Ashura' commemoration is being practice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by AlBaqir(m): 7:10am On Nov 04, 2013
lanrexlan: I know about fasting on the day of Ashura which is 10th day of the month of Muharram.

"Allah knows best" I love that. In sha Allah my next post will definitely gonna be on Ashura where the above-quoted hadith will be explore.
We are now in the sacred month of Muharram so I guess we should talk more on Ashura!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by tintingz(m): 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
smiley undecided
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 08, 2015
oremusanctus007:
Fvck muhammed a rapist cum pig, he's d cos of all d problem dis worldd is facing. He's a plague, and soon islam will be wiped out from d earth! Useless prophet useless followers.
so tell me my christain bruh how are you gonna wipe us to extinction undecided
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2015
@Albaqir and others nice write up I never knew their people like you in NL smiley
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 08, 2015
oremusanctus007:
fool, like muhammed like his followers. Muhammed a pig!
you didn't answer ma Question you're there spewing trash Answer my Question joor
Re: Why Do Muslims Write, Wash And Drink Quranic Surahs. (ountu) by TakeNose: 11:25am On Mar 09, 2015
baffah96:
you didn't answer ma Question you're there spewing trash Answer my Question joor
cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Announces August 20th As The Day Of Arafah, The Moon Sighted Today / Updates on Ramadhaan Crescent (1436ah/2015ce) / Signs Of Black Magic And Satanic Possession And How To Protect Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.