Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:32 AM

Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates (8777 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos (photos) / Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge This Afternoon (photos) / Government Truck Falls Off Near Third Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by rotex(m): 11:16am On Jun 04, 2006
Imagine Third Mainland Bridge Goes Apart

Imagine third mainland brigde ripping apart at any time between the hours of 6am-11am or 6pm-11pm. Chie its goin to be a huge disaster. Please alert those in position so as to avert such memories. Please. sad
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Seun(m): 11:21am On Jun 04, 2006
Why are you afraid that the third mainland bridge is going to be ripped apart?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by dominobaby(f): 11:23am On Jun 04, 2006
Ah! At first, I thought it was for real. Thank God its not the only acess way to the island. But eh, it will be a disaster should it happen.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Badman888(m): 12:09pm On Jun 04, 2006
they better try and do something bout that bridge, because of the way it vibrates it something else
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Seun(m): 12:10pm On Jun 04, 2006
It vibrates? Please tell us about it. The first poster should have been smart enough to point this out. angry
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Badman888(m): 12:11pm On Jun 04, 2006
It does vibrate anyone that have stepped out from a car when on the bridge should have witnessed this. But very few people would come out it was just due to car breakdown and i have heared it from few people. it does vibrate the government should think about something now before its too late.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Shagari2(m): 12:15pm On Jun 04, 2006
Rotex, the CIA FBI KGB MI5 and Interpol are outside your door!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:58pm On Jun 04, 2006
I am not an engineer or a bridge construction expert, but i asked the same question and got blasted for not knowing (after having graduated from the university), All bridges vibrate (enough to felt and actually seen) it is in the design, because bridges over water are constantly moved by waves and underground land movement, it is critical that they be strong and at the same time flexible, that is why the joints are there, to allow for some adjustment when this movement occurs. If the latitude of the movement is too small it will break and collapse (remember fela, water, e no get enemy, water no get enemy)

that is all
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Badman888(m): 1:01pm On Jun 04, 2006
I agree with you all the birdges vidrate i have been on a number of bridges and its not really felt as bad as third mainland, but third mainland is a very long bridge and its not a suspended bridge like (Niger bridge) maybe thats why the way it vibrates is that bad. But we also have to know how well it is maintained and checked. Not only when they see a crack.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by bolex(m): 3:04pm On Jun 04, 2006
I will brb

I need to ask ma lecturers about this thing tomorrow

sad

The whole Nigerians living in Lagos has gone thorugh that bridge nothing less than 10 times in thier lives

That is the bridge to the embassy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by molluma(f): 5:53pm On Jun 04, 2006
at this time i have to be selfish and say THANK GOD I DONT LIVE IN LAGOS. but i will pray 4 u all

Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Greatpeter(m): 6:09pm On Jun 04, 2006
molluma:

at this time i have to be selfish and say THANK GOD I DONT LIVE IN LAGOS. but i will pray for you all

Haba! and you don't have any relations and friends in Lagos?
Not even your Nairaland friends?
too selfish indeed! lipsrsealed
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by molluma(f): 6:14pm On Jun 04, 2006
ha now but i said i will pray.i dont know anyone in lag.trully
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by naijacutee(f): 12:04am On Jun 05, 2006
I wouldn't worry about it - Tower Bridge, London vibrates too and it's been there since 1894. undecided . It's bound to vibrate like all bridges. The only problem would arise  if the frequency of vibrations caused by motorists etc match the natural frequency of vibration of the bridge itself, that would cause resonance and if it resonates for long enough, only then will it collapse. Forget the fact that the bridge is in Nigeria. It is not a one-day bridge and whoever the engineers are that built it must have planned and worked out all these things on paper . So boy, have no fear, go to 11:45 and enjoy yourself! smiley
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:34am On Jun 05, 2006
hmmn vibration and resonance, i heard from somewhere that the felling of the Walls of Jericho was no Miracle, the soldiers trumpeting and marching in unison caused some vibration/resonance thingy-whatsit to crumble the walls of Jericho at its weakeast point, if na true, this surely changes the rules of war
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by LoverBwoy(m): 1:15am On Jun 05, 2006
I need to ask ma lecturers about this thing tomorrow

@Bolex----Cancel the Engineer in you name  and give it to Largerwhenindoubt grin

All bridges are designed to vibrate to a certain degree, but not too much  wink
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by babyydoll(f): 6:29am On Jun 05, 2006
I am glad to see and read how smart u all sound, i don't live in Nigeria and know nothin about bridges but i will ask my husband in the morning who happens to be a petroluem engineer but KNOWS a lot from watching a lot of shows on discovery channel and i hate to say this , just becos he is smart. But i think u all are smart too with ur wonderfull answers. Peace !!!!! Babyydoll
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by jgirl3: 9:16am On Jun 05, 2006
That is my favourite road in all of Lagos, if that bridge should collapse, i will so cry ehn!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Eastcoast(f): 11:17am On Jun 05, 2006
lagerwhenindoubt:

I am not an engineer or a bridge construction expert, but i asked the same question and got blasted for not knowing (after having graduated from the university), All bridges vibrate (enough to felt and actually seen) it is in the design, because bridges over water are constantly moved by waves and underground land movement, it is critical that they be strong and at the same time flexible, that is why the joints are there, to allow for some adjustment when this movement occurs. If the latitude of the movement is too small it will break and collapse (remember fela, water, e no get enemy, water no get enemy)

that is all
i really don't know about the vibration but i know that bridges expand during the day and they contract during the night.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Mazi(m): 3:25pm On Jun 05, 2006
All Bridges vibrate, because of the gaps between the sections. This is also in place to prevent resonance on the bridge.

Yes, the collapse of the walls of Jericho was achieved from Resonance. An Instruction was given to the Jews from an OmniScience and Omnipotent God, who knew that resonance will achieve the destruction. Hence It was a miracle from God. God is still revealing things to us everyday.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by hotangel2(f): 3:58pm On Jun 05, 2006
Seriously, i dunno much abt that bridge, but i know the bridge, and i've passed by it when i was little.

That bridge is scary! The last time i heard, the iron/rod or watever that holds the bridge under the water is rusting. There was thread where we were disccusing this.

Ever since that bridge has been made, i dont think the gov't has done any kinda maintance or watever, like check up, improve it or blah blah. it's just been there, it needs some update, that thing will fall off if they don't do some repairs. Not the road, but the foundation holding the bridge.

that's wat i think o.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Rottweiler(m): 5:00pm On Jun 05, 2006
People just raise dust where there's non! How many times does your car break down on the 3rd mainland? How many times do you set foot on the bridge? How many kilometers long is the bridge? Is that the only bridge within that axis? Carter, Eko and other bridges in Lagos Island have been there years before the 3rd mainland bridge was built and they are still standing.

The truth of the matter is the few who complain about vibration on the 3rd mainland bridge are scared of driving/or being in a vehicle on the bridge. Why? Because it is the longest bridge on water in Nigeria! I guess what you guys are suffering from is 'BRIDGIPHOBIA'. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by my2cents(m): 5:23pm On Jun 05, 2006
I hv been on various bridges in the lagos area and was naturally scared when I first witnessed the vibrations. I didn't think much of it until I noticed bridges/overpasses vibrating in the US. So naturally, I did a little reading.

It turns out bridges (Engineers, sorry for boring you cool) are built with expansion and contraction in mind. So, spaces are put b/w slabs (or whatever you call them) and supported by springs. That way, when it expands/contracts due to weather, the spaces are "filled" so to speak.

Having said that, Nigeria is not known for its maintenance culture. There are roads I have been on there that were built before I was born and based on my last visit, look like they haven't been touched since. In the states, it is common to see the department of transportation decide to "maintain" a road that looks totally brand new, at least from my point of view as a nigerian.

It would be nice to know when the bridge was built, and how many cars it was built for, just to mention a few.

as always, my 2 cents
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by olat(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2006
I live around Ogudu and work in Victoria Island. If u know Lagos, then u know that I have no choice but to pass through the Third Mainland bridge about 10-14 times in a week (sometimes inclusive of weekends).
By God's grace, I will be passing through the bridge on my way home this evening.

Yeah, I know it vibrates a number of times commercial as well as private cars broke down. I have had to go down and step on bridge. It truly vibrates and sometimes could be scary. On the other side, its a wonderful sight @ night. You can see Lekki, Ajah parts of Ikorodu (Majidun) among others.

THE TRUTH IS THE BRIDGE WILL NOT COLLAPSE, atleast NOT for now.

Cheers all!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by daintyopal: 5:43pm On Jun 05, 2006
shocked Look guys not only have I experienced the vibration of the bridge but (while held up in traffic) I have recently seen a narrow crack on the road too, that's widening by the day or shd I say minute  shocked. Now, considering the number of people that ply that route, I think something should be done & quickly too!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by LiquidMind(m): 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2006
Has the bridge turn to a death trap
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by gigitte(f): 7:58pm On Jun 05, 2006
y'all have to remember that ikeja bomb blast affected the bridge too. i dunno oh, im not a civil engineer but could it have affected the resonance frequency of the bridge?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by mochafella(m): 8:35pm On Jun 05, 2006
Rottweiler:

The truth of the matter is the few who complain about vibration on the 3rd mainland bridge are scared of driving/or being in a vehicle on the bridge. Why? Because it is the longest bridge on water in Nigeria! I guess what you guys are suffering from is 'BRIDGIPHOBIA'. grin grin grin grin grin

Rottweiler put it best BRIDGIPHOBIA grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by riche007(m): 10:12pm On Jun 05, 2006
naijacutee:

I wouldn't worry about it - Tower Bridge, London vibrates too and it's been there since 1894. undecided . It's bound to vibrate like all bridges. The only problem would arise if the frequency of vibrations caused by motorists etc match the natural frequency of vibration of the bridge itself, that would cause resonance and if it resonates for long enough, only then will it collapse. Forget the fact that the bridge is in Nigeria. It is not a one-day bridge and whoever the engineers are that built it must have planned and worked out all these things on paper . So boy, have no fear, go to 11:45 and enjoy yourself! smiley
Nna, u are not just cute but u carry sense. Make I add "kpom" to your post, well explained like a true scientist.

BTW, do u want to learn some more about "resonance"? I can teach u grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by rotex(m): 12:00am On Jun 06, 2006
Hey guys & girls,av gone tru al ur replies,that of an engineer and those of other occupation.Wel my question for the engineers is that Did those who built the 3rd mainland take into consideration that cars of such immense weigh wil stand stil on it at the same time?Note the brigde was built on a principle cald upthrust which means nt al d bars are torchn d ground.For d vibration no big deal al brigdes are built to vibrate but when the upthrust is exceeded pls imagine(am not trying to scare here)
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by smartsoft(m): 3:32am On Jun 06, 2006
everybody go learn how to swim ooooo cos e no go funny at all that they, but let us pray bad thing don't happen.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by ijebuman(m): 12:36pm On Jun 06, 2006
There was an article on this issue on Nigeriaworld not too long ago

A few months ago, experts reported that the multi-billion naira Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, had developed structural problems, which could make it go the way of Ijora by-pass bridge. Specifically, the bridge pavement surface had become uneven and the pillars or piers on which the bridge rests, had shifted from their original spots. In the world of Civil engineering, uneven pavement and displacement of the piers, are indications of more serious structural problems.

The importance of this bridge cannot be overemphasized considering that it is the third bridge that links Lagos Island and the Mainland. What boggles the mind however, is why a bridge that was commissioned in the early nineties, would already be in structural jeopardy? The managing director of Guffanti Construction Nigeria, Mr. Abiola Salau, was quoted as warning that "the bridge is a structure waiting to collapse" [Guardian, July 17, 2002]

Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos May Collapse?
http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/uzokwe/110502.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Can Now Report Any Illegal Dump Site Directly To Lagos State Government / 10 Days In Nigeria And I Am Planning To Relocate To Nigeria. / Photos From TECNO Camon X Tour Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.