Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? (12948 Views)

The 10 Magnificent Gionee Phones That Are 4G LTE Network Enabled / First Public Speedtest From Ntel's 4G LTE Advanced Network! / *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by spoilerx: 3:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
I use an unlocked at&t galaxy s4 with glo, and sometimes it shows 4G. I suspect they r already testing 4G networks
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by oluamid(m): 3:30pm On Sep 19, 2013
I use Aitel for BIS subscription. Yesterday, I wanted to download a movie of about 130MB, What did I do? I plugged my phone to a power source, started the download around 11PM and slept off. I woke up around 3am only to see that I only have 75MB downloaded. So I slept again and woke up around 7:30am to see the movie fully downloaded.

That's Naija 3G for you.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by Rasheed02(m): 3:30pm On Sep 19, 2013
Osyxcel: 4G-LTE, a possibility, but we won't have it until other countries have moved on to better ones. That's how things work in Nigeria, always behind in technological advancement.

With their yeye 3.75G netwrk, I've never attained 1mb/s speed before.
true talk! D highest speed av gotten is 220k/s on d ridiculous 3.75G.naija network providers are professional scammers.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by luluosas(m): 3:35pm On Sep 19, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Well truth is we do not wanna be stuck with just 3G for too long, when other countries have progressed to high speed connections, some pushing out about 50mbps.

There is a company that is presently working on laying fibre around Abuja, connecting to the already available ducts that have been placed at strategic locations.

I just can't wait for development like that to spread across the country.

If Nitel had done a good job with door to door wiring, even copper wired connections would have been giving us high speeds and reliable networks.

Wired connections are the future, with fibre being nĂºmero uno.
That's correct. This is where NITEL landlines would have come to the rescue but, corruption, lack of maintenance and mismanagement killed the once Nigerian pride in the telecoms industry. What a pity!
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dmcdad: 3:41pm On Sep 19, 2013
Seeking for 4G/LTE (Long term evolution) now is like building castle in the air.We make use of devices that are capable of taking up speeds as high as 50-150mbps. I mean, devices like the iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, HTC One just to mention a few, are capable of rendering speeds between 75 and 150mbps. The big question now is: on what netwrok are you gonna use that on to appreciate or rather maximise such functionality? Even our so-called 3.75G is trash compared to Edge some countries offer. Not to mention their 3G and the ultimate 4G/LTE.

It's really sad to see that after paying much for internet services, the speed we are being offered is nothing to write home about.

The day I was downloading something (Windows 8 ) and the download skyrocketed from around 300kbps to 2.5mbps, I nearly got mad because it was unbelievable. I felt my eyes were deceiving me and also thought I was dreaming, buh lo and behold, it was real.

Imagine Google is offering a download speed of 1Gbps with it's fibre optics. Although it's only covered a limited part of the US and moving from one town to another. Same thing with Japan. The last time I checked they were upgrading to a download speed of 1Gbps. Just imagine! Infact, we don't even have devices that will be able to contain such speed. Imagine you wanna download something of 1Gbyte and after clicking download, hoping to save the file on your desktop and before you get back to click ok you have the message that your download is complete. For someone like me, I will need to have a storage system that could be up to 1Petabyte.

But seriously, we need an ugrade asap so we too can enjoy good Internet connection. Our tel companies have to close the gap a bit cause it's getting wider and wider by the day. Even if it's making sure that our 3.75 is reliable, it would be great. Afterall, not everywhere in the US is 4G / LTE covered. We just need to perfect what we have first before asking for more. 3.75 in Nigeria is nothing but a joke.

4 Likes

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by luluosas(m): 3:42pm On Sep 19, 2013
oluamid: I use Aitel for BIS subscription. Yesterday, I wanted to download a movie of about 130MB, What did I do? I plugged my phone to a power source, started the download around 11PM and slept off. I woke up around 3am only to see that I only have 75MB downloaded. So I slept again and woke up around 7:30am to see the movie fully downloaded.

That's Naija 3G for you.
You were lucky your download didn't break. Downloading less than 1MB App from Play Store on MTN sometimes take me more than 10 minutes to complete.
Edge is the only available network in my location for GLO, MTN and ETISALAT. Only AIRTEL have 3.75G network here but don't even go there. The speed is nothing to write home about.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by rman: 3:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
The operating environment in Nigeria is not a s friendly as we all assume it is.
Most of these operators have not even rolled out 3G in all the major cities across Nigeria, so 4G LTE is still a couple of months away.
Although, some have already done preliminary tests for 4G LTE on sample sites in Nigeria.

The reason it is easy to roll out services in developed country is because there is a very good fibre network everywhere and that is the most reliable way of delivering high speed Internet.

Slowly but surely we will get there
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dmcdad: 3:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
spoilerx: I use an unlocked at&t galaxy s4 with glo, and sometimes it shows 4G. I suspect they r already testing 4G networks
Nope...That's because its the American version of the GS4. The 4G is like the 3G that shows up in most devices. Let me ask you; do you have an option to toggle between 2G/3G/4G?
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by YoshiMaster: 3:46pm On Sep 19, 2013
luluosas:
That's correct. This is where NITEL landlines would have come to the rescue but, corruption, lack of maintenance and mismanagement killed the once Nigerian pride in the telecoms industry. What a pity!

True, but hopefully we will see a rise in smart entrepreneurs venturing into laying of fibre.

Just imagine having a 10-15 Mbps unlimited plan for like 15-20k per month, that would be awesome.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by YoshiMaster: 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
rman: The operating environment in Nigeria is not a s friendly as we all assume it is.
Most of these operators have not even rolled out 3G in all the major cities across Nigeria, so 4G LTE is still a couple of months away.
Although, some have already done preliminary tests for 4G LTE on sample sites in Nigeria.

The reason it is easy to roll out services in developed country is because there is a very good fibre network everywhere and that is the most reliable way of delivering high speed Internet.

Slowly but surely we will get there

Exactly fibre is the best, but as far as wireless networks go, 4GLTE is pretty good, even for online gaming with minimal lag. If they get it right, at least it would be an upgrade for Nigerians, before fibre becomes a reality.

Swift guys say they will have theirs by October, so fingers crossed.

Although some of them do lie, I once had to request that a certain provider take down their ad banner in front of their store, lol, they probably thought I was crazy.

Their ad banner said speeds up to 42mbps, and I was like "whaaaaaat!!!!", "how?", only for me to go in and request a test. Meanwhille, the lady was like "why do you want to run a test, our network is very fast". Anyway, I ran the test there with speedtest.net.

Result? 0.5mpbs.

If that is not a scam, I don't know what is.

4 Likes

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dabraska: 3:58pm On Sep 19, 2013
dmcdad: Seeking for 4G/LTE (Long term evolution) now is like building castle in the air.We make use of devices that are capable of taking up speeds as high as 50-150mbps. I mean, devices like the iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, HTC One just to mention a few, are capable of rendering speeds between 75 and 150mbps. The big question now is: on what netwrok are you gonna use that on to appreciate or rather maximise such functionality? Even our so-called 3.75G is trash compared to Edge some countries offer. Not to mention their 3G and the ultimate 4G/LTE.

It's really sad to see that after paying much for internet services, the speed we are being offered is nothing to write home about.

The day I was downloading something (Windows 8 ) and the download skyrocketed from around 300kbps to 2.5mbps, I nearly got mad because it was unbelievable. I felt my eyes were deceiving me and also thought I was dreaming, buh lo and behold, it was real.

Imagine Google is offering a download speed of 1Gbps with it's fibre optics. Although it's only covered a limited part of the US and moving from one town to another. Same thing with Japan. The last time I checked they were upgrading to a download speed of 1Gbps. Just imagine! Infact, we don't even have devices that will be able to contain such speed. Imagine you wanna download something of 1Gbyte and after clicking download, hoping to save the file on your desktop and before you get back to click ok you have the message that your download is complete. For someone like me, I will need to have a storage system that could be up to 1Petabyte.

But seriously, we need an ugrade asap so we too can enjoy good Internet connection. Our tel companies have to close the gap a bit cause it's getting wider and wider by the day. Even if it's making sure that our 3.75 is reliable, it would be great. Afterall, not everywhere in the US is 4G / LTE covered. We just need to perfect what we have first before asking for more. 3.75 in Nigeria is nothing but a joke.

Seriously! You haven't heard of Smile Communications in Ibadan? Standard 4G LTE. I used to have my own doubts until it was shown to me. I paused for 35 minutes.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dabraska: 4:00pm On Sep 19, 2013
But I thought Smile Communications 4G LTE was killing every internet. The only problem is that they are in Ibadan for now. I was told that they would be in Lagos soon. I hope they continue with their speed. As an internet addict, their speed no be here o.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dmcdad: 4:07pm On Sep 19, 2013
dabraska: But I thought Smile Communications 4G LTE was killing every internet. The only problem is that they are in Ibadan for now. I was told that they would be in Lagos soon. I hope they continue with their speed. As an internet addict, their speed no be here o.
One thing worth noting is; will they be able to give their services to a large number of people and still offer such speeds?

2 Likes

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by luluosas(m): 4:08pm On Sep 19, 2013
dmcdad:
Nope...That's because its the American version of the GS4. The 4G is like the 3G that shows up in most devices. Let me ask you; do you have an option to toggle between 2G/3G/4G?
Well, I don't know if I will be correct. What I think is that, it is the available network type at any given time that shows up on your network notification, not necessarily by toggling your device between network modes.
My reason for this stand is the experience I had when I travelled to Benin City last time. On my Samsung Galaxy Y Pro DUOS, I can only switch 3G on one Sim card at a time but, the Internet network signal that was displaying on my screen at intervals were Edge, 3G, H+ and GPRS on the same Sim card that was switched to 3G. This is why I believed it is the network type available at a time that shows up on your device.
Again, if you are in a 3G coverage area, why do you normally experience automatic fluctuations between network type on your device even without you toggling your device network type? I may be wrong though. Thank you.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dabraska: 4:52pm On Sep 19, 2013
dmcdad:
One thing worth noting is; will they be able to give their services to a large number of number and still offer such speeds?

That's really what I do not know. But omo, na to dey enjoy am while it is superfast o. Even if the speed reduces, from what I have seen, I do not think it is on the same level with the usual internet providers. It will still be better. My opinion though.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by hardniola(m): 5:09pm On Sep 19, 2013
every nigeria we like to know how Airtel got license for 3.5
only to be giving us edge service.....INDIA nd scam.
HELLTEL is worst.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by spoilerx: 5:18pm On Sep 19, 2013
dmcdad:

yep I have the option to select gsm only.

Btw sometimes it shows 3G or H /H+ & rarely E
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by ibietela2(m): 5:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
Jeffy1206: I guess so but seriusly I got speed close to dat with my MTN here in Abuja... Glo also is ok bt der speed is never stable disrupt when u are streamin... chai!!!! make I no even mention airtel cos dey are the...

Horrible

1 Like

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by ibietela2(m): 5:48pm On Sep 19, 2013
oluamid: I use Aitel for BIS subscription. Yesterday, I wanted to download a movie of about 130MB, What did I do? I plugged my phone to a power source, started the download around 11PM and slept off. I woke up around 3am only to see that I only have 75MB downloaded. So I slept again and woke up around 7:30am to see the movie fully downloaded.

That's Naija 3G for you.

This is what I do with airtel
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by Geniusvic(m): 6:03pm On Sep 19, 2013
Nigeria will definitely experience better internet services.. It's only a matter of time :-)
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by victorious1986: 6:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
Osyxcel:

1hr.20min for 128mb? shocked, that's not even up to 50kb/s, ar U sure it wasn't on EGDE? shocked

I've downloaded 500mb in 25mins b/4.

The highest I've gotten is abt 800kb/s and it won't even stay there.
I've gotten stable 500kb/s and 600kb/s for some time.
It's mostly between 300kb/s and 400kb/s
we should not only calculate speed of transfer we should also indicate the type of service provider
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by write2obi(m): 6:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
That's all

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dmcdad: 7:01pm On Sep 19, 2013
luluosas:
Well, I don't know if I will be correct. What I think is that, it is the available network type at any given time that shows up on your network notification, not necessarily by toggling your device between network modes.
My reason for this stand is the experience I had when I travelled to Benin City last time. On my Samsung Galaxy Y Pro DUOS, I can only switch 3G on one Sim card at a time but, the Internet network signal that was displaying on my screen at intervals were Edge, 3G, H+ and GPRS on the same Sim card that was switched to 3G. This is why I believed it is the network type available at a time that shows up on your device.
Again, if you are in a 3G coverage area, why do you normally experience automatic fluctuations between network type on your device even without you toggling your device network type? I may be wrong though. Thank you.
Hmmm.... You are correct anywayz. The thing I tried to prove in that post was; if a phone is showing up 4G, it's not necessarily a yardstick that the network supports it but for the fact that it's a US version and not the international version, that is what it would show in place of 3G. A friend of mine uses a US version of the GS3 and I make use of the international version. His shows 4G even though the Nigerian network doesn't support that yet. It shows it in place of 3G. But mine as an international version shows H+ and sometimes just H and rarely 3G.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by dmcdad: 7:03pm On Sep 19, 2013
spoilerx:

yep I have the option to select gsm only.

Btw sometimes it shows 3G or H /H+ & rarely E
Ohh... I see
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by kael: 8:31pm On Sep 19, 2013
runzlord: those YEYE-stick fantastic 4our network starting with the Most Terrible Network(emptyhen) i mean MTN then to glo, airtel and etisalat.

When will they offer quality cheap internet service in Nigeria?

spectra...gini i am just coming from their office, the offer 2mbps in the day time and 4mbps at night, they tried to persuade me that 2mbps would be ok for me, i then told them to run a speed test via speedtest.net on their computer and it came up with 0.21mbps, one tenth their promised speed, we tried it on other computers in their office the same thing, the told me maybe at home it would be better. please how can something that is not good in their office be good in my house. 4G LTE my foot
These network are 2 steps backward LTE, 4G then 3G and they are happy with it cos NCC is not bothering them. All NCC care about is call call call. Who calls again?

I really don't blame NCC it because the pple that manage it are all old men! So they prefer calling. Our internet networks are trying lyk swift 4G, mobitel 4G, unwired 4G. But these re internet networks that can only work with systems and via wifi hotspot.

Plus their modems aint mobile and expensive. Finally i thank God at least if we can get 4G-LTE in lagos only!

Thanks to spactranet, another internet network. See if our mobile networks cant do anything about their internet work.

Then i suggest they should stop supplying internet services and merge(or work hand in hand) with the internet networks to provide quality internet service.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by kael: 8:33pm On Sep 19, 2013
spectra...gini i am just coming from their office, the offer 2mbps in the day time and 4mbps at night, they tried to persuade me that 2mbps would be ok for me, i then told them to run a speed test via speedtest.net on their computer and it came up with 0.21mbps, one tenth their promised speed, we tried it on other computers in their office the same thing, the told me maybe at home it would be better. please how can something that is not good in their office be good in my house. 4G LTE my foot
runzlord: those YEYE-stick fantastic 4our network starting with the Most Terrible Network(emptyhen) i mean MTN then to glo, airtel and etisalat.

When will they offer quality cheap internet service in Nigeria?
These network are 2 steps backward LTE, 4G then 3G and they are happy with it cos NCC is not bothering them. All NCC care about is call call call. Who calls again?

I really don't blame NCC it because the pple that manage it are all old men! So they prefer calling. Our internet networks are trying lyk swift 4G, mobitel 4G, unwired 4G. But these re internet networks that can only work with systems and via wifi hotspot.

Plus their modems aint mobile and expensive. Finally i thank God at least if we can get 4G-LTE in lagos only!

Thanks to spactranet, another internet network. See if our mobile networks cant do anything about their internet work.

Then i suggest they should stop supplying internet services and merge(or work hand in hand) with the internet networks to provide quality internet service.

1 Like

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by Jeffy1206(m): 8:46pm On Sep 19, 2013
Donsammi: in niqeria?
yes dats if u are in gud area. but de 6mb i mention is not de stable one o!!!
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by Jeffy1206(m): 8:51pm On Sep 19, 2013
[quote author=oluamid]I use Aitel for BIS subscription. Yesterday, I wanted to download a movie of about 130MB, What did I do? I plugged my phone to a power source, started the download around 11PM and slept off. I woke up around 3am only to see that I only have 75MB downloaded. So I slept again and woke up around 7:30am to see the movie fully downloaded.

That's Naija 3G for you.[/quote
what a miracle lolzzzzz...
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 8:56pm On Sep 19, 2013
MTN has been fast lately here.. I'm sure it's the area cuz not much people are occupyin' this town at the moment..... Cuz I remembered I was in a remote area sometime ago and MTN launched for the first time their network in that area with EDGE services... I can Vividly remember I was gettin' a downlink speed of up to 190kbps there...that's of course those of us browsing in that area were not up to 30....

Here's a speed test what MTN currently offers me.. b4 all this students resume from the strike and suck up all the speed...

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by arbitrage: 10:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
After Swift Networks acquired the mobile part of Direct on PC, they decided to use it to launch their 4G LTE technology. They want to test run for a month using 500 existing users. I applied and I was luckily chosen yesterday as I got the confirmation email. I am awaiting UPS courier for delivery of the free LTE modem and free data, but my hope is not too high because the existing 4G (which is better than other mobile operators) is not even close to the 3g network speed I received in the UK and others.
Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by luluosas(m): 10:34pm On Sep 19, 2013
The speed test results I carried out using my MTN BIS subscription plan on my Galaxy Y Pro DUOS just now. Location is Adamawa State.
I conducted the test using 4 different servers, 2 in Nigeria and 2 in Ghana.

* Picture 1. MTN Nigeria server: Download speed 115kbps, Upload speed 137kbps.
* Picture 2. Main One Nigeria server: Download speed 94kbps, Upload speed 39kbps.
* Picture 3. MTN Ghana server: Download speed 86kbps, Upload speed 117kbps.
* Picture 4. Vodafone Ghana server: Download speed 101kbps, Upload speed 145kbps.

By the way, why is Globacom GLO-1 server not listed on the Speed Net Application? I have been wondering over this development for a long time now since I started using the Speed Net application both on my phone and PC.

Re: Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? by usygreen: 10:35pm On Sep 19, 2013
cryWell, I knw a friend who was dumped cuz of a bold5.. Pathetic

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Techno Spark K7 3000mah VS Infinix 4000mah / NCC: 5G Not Hazardous, To Be Deployed In 2021 / I Notice That Truecaller Doesnt Work Well On Iphone, Any Alternative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.