Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,537 members, 7,801,508 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

God: An Atheist Perspective - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God: An Atheist Perspective (1952 Views)

Is God An He, She Or It / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God: An Atheist Perspective by Briareos(m): 1:16am On Sep 20, 2013
If you are a human being, chances are high that you have some questions about God that you are quiet about. You’ve silenced these questions because you are told – by a scripture quoting elder, probably - that some things can never be understood. You just have to accept it like that and you have to obey God and NOT question His authority.

To a lot of us, that is a very simple thing to do – the brainwash start from when we are little. We just accept instructions and we are okay with them. But to some people – that is simply not possible. They must understand everything. They must understand the ‘why’.

[size=14pt]Who is God? What do we understand about God so far? [/size]
God created the universe and put Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. Different religions have different versions of the creation story – but that’s the basic.

A quick question will be; where was God before He created the Universe. And if I take the Biblical creation story, He created ‘heaven and earth’ out of nothing, according to Genesis 1. Now, we can safely assume that the ‘world’ God created is ‘Earth’. So, where did Venus, Mars and the other six planets come from?

We are also made to believe God is not only all knowing, he is also all powerful, all merciful and omnipresent.

No one can doubt the power of God; after all, He created Heaven and Earth out of nothing. He also created Adam and Eve and put them in Eden together with a fruit he forbade them to eat.

Quick question; why will God put the fruit there in the first place? Since God is all knowing – that is, He knows everything even before it happens. He knows how the world is going to end already. Is it not safe to assume God already knew that Eve was going to eat from the apple? If God is omniscient, that means He knew exactly what was going to happen. If He knew Eve was going to be deceived, that means He knew right from the onset what is in store for Adam and his following generation. That means He knew then, right from the beginning, that this world is going to be like this; filled with evil, suffering, hardship, wars, famine, diseases, earthquakes, Tsunami, etc.

How can ‘merciful’ God allow all these to happen when ‘all powerful’ Him can stop it and prevent it since ‘omniscient’ Him already knew how everything is going turn out.

Another point that supports the fact that God indeed set Adam and Eve to fail is their body. I want to assume Adam build up consists of, especially - penis, scrotum, testosterone and the other organs and hormones responsible for the production of sperm were perfected by God when he initially created him from soil. Also, Eve’s womb, ovaries and vagina and all other organs needed for reproduction were also complete in her when she was created from Adam’s rib. So, what do they need penis and vagina for if they were never meant to reproduce off springs or use it at all?

It was after they ate from the tree that they became aware of their unclothedness. I can assume that if they never ate from the tree (like God warned them not to), they won’t be aware of their unclothedness. Why will God provide them with reproductive organs if He didn’t know for sure they were going to disobey him.

So, God can’t be all powerful and all merciful at the same time. It is simply contradictory.

Now, why did God create us? What is the purpose of us coming to earth? According to the Bible, we were created for one purpose ONLY; to do the will of God and worship Him!

Quick question; what type of God creates us for the purpose of worshipping him? What does He benefit from us worshipping him? Does that not sound like what some egotistical human will want? He created us – so we owe him our life – and he can do whatever damn pleases Him with it and we have no right whatsoever to complain!

That sounds like what will happen in the olden days. In the era of Kings and slaves... At the time the Bible was conceived. If anyone was to write a fictional novel around that time of a supreme being that is powerful and can create human being – the relationship between the creator and the created will resemble what is written in the bible.

[size=14pt]The Bible [/size]
This is the only book that contains the history of Jesus Christ! No other ancient history book does. Even though Socrates and Plato lived and died many decades before Jesus was supposedly born – there are many ancient history books and relics that contain their lives and their works.

What do we know about the Bible?

Christian Bibles range from the sixty-six books of the Protestant canon to the eighty-one books of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church canon. The first part of Christian Bible is the Old Testament, which contains, at minimum, the twenty-four books of the Hebrew Bible divided into thirty-nine books and ordered differently than the Hebrew Bible. The Catholic Church and Eastern Christian churches also hold certain deuterocanonical books and passages to be part of the Old Testament canon. The second part is the New Testament, containing twenty-seven books: the four Canonical gospels, Acts of the Apostles, twenty-one Epistles or letters, and the Book of Revelation.
The oldest surviving complete Christian Bibles are Greek manuscripts from the 4th century. The oldest Tanakh manuscript in Hebrew and Aramaic dates to the 10th century CE, but an early 4th-century Septuagint translation is found in the Codex Vaticanus.
The Bible was divided into chapters in the 13th century by Stephen Langton and into verses in the 16th century by French printer Robert Estienne.
From all indications – there is no proof as to whether the bible is divine or any sort. It was written by ancient people and it has been passed through many human hands before we arrive at what we call Bible today. No one can ascertain correctly the exact books in the bible as some people remove what they deem is not suitable.
Is Songs of Solomon also divine and God inspired? SOS seems like a badly written hentai book. Yet it is in the Holy Bible. In a couple of decades, some group will publish a version of the bible that excludes that perverse part and after a century – it will become the standard bible again.
The bible contains several contradictions, irregularities that I’m not going to get into for now.
My point is; we based our belief on life, accept a doctrine we are ready to give our life for, because of the writings in a book that could as well be fiction?
[size=14pt]Jesus [/size]
We’ve heard how Jesus died on the cross to wash our sins away.
Quick question; how exactly does Jesus dying wash our sins away? I’m really baffled. Why will God have to sacrifice His son before He can forgive? I want to understand. How exactly does Jesus Christ spilling his blood on the cross of cavalry redeem us? Can’t he just forgive us just like that? Without spilling of blood? I sure won’t sacrifice my first son just to forgive the other sons.

Also, the Old Testament is filled with so many spilling of bloods of animal for God – What does God want with blood? What do blood does to God? If a babalowo asked you to bring goat for sacrifice – won’t you say he is diabolic? Does it mean God is diabolical too?

Going by the way Christianity views the world, Is it not safe to say that if this Christian God created the world, the world should look like Harry Porter kind world with the highly level of spiritualism. Yet, this world to include everything in it is following a particular set of laws and rules – just like you will expect from a mechanical construct. We have eyes for seeing, legs for walking, mouth for talking etc – Nothing is abnormal. Nothing is magical. Everything follows a path.

[size=14pt]Prayers [/size]
The bible says ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find. So, if you have a need, you can just kneel and pray and God will answer? We all know the answer to that. In fact, why do we have to pray in the first place since God is omniscient? He already knows what we want even before we ask it?
How can we say God answers prayer after the following points?
Some things you never prayed for still happens to you many times. Chances are high that 80% of your prayer requests are pending. The most successful people on earth are atheists (they don’t pray to any God.) Nigeria is probably the most religious country in the world; we rely on God in everything, We pray to him every time, in almost every statement. Many people can’t say two complete sentences without mentioning ‘God’. We have many of the most influential pastors, biggest worshipping halls, churches everywhere, night vigils almost every night, revivals etc. Yet, Nigeria is one of the most corrupt and poorest countries in the world. If a friend of yours have cancer, no matter how much you pray for that person; the cancer will not go away. You can give it a try. Perhaps God have a reason why He didn’t answer the prayer, after all God knows best. God knows best no matter what.
It is very comforting to know that after every time you pray for the blind and the eyes does not get restored that God knows best. But when you pass an examination you prepared for days and nights... That’s when you remembered God answers prayer. Or when your uncle helps you to push some files and get you the job. Now, you will chant ‘God answers prayers’

Why do atheists succeed anyways? They don’t pray to any God...

[size=14pt]Salvation [/size]
According to the bible, you cannot make the kingdom of God except you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal saviour. It simply means; you either accept Jesus or you are going to hell.

So, what will happen to my great great grandfather that was born in the year 1700? There is no way he could have heard about Jesus now, right? That means no matter how well he lived his life – he is going to hell fire all the same. He was condemned to hell fire by the virtue of him being an African born in an era whereby the Europeans haven’t invaded Africa. Same with millions of people born around that time...

Also, let’s be honest – the son of the chief Imam of Saudi Arabia, that was born in Islam, raised in Islam, lived his life in Islam, breath Islam, sleep Islam... How can you possibly convince him to become a Christian? He will simply laugh at you because he knows nothing else.

If you are a Christian, just imagine yourself as a muslim, praying to Allah in a mosque – Can anybody and what amount of preaching can convert you to a muslim? The way you feel and your answer is the exact way that Saudi boy will feel and answer if you encounter him with Christianity. It works the other way round too. And according to the Bible, that Saudi boy is going to hell fire by virtue of the place he was born to. He wasn’t given the choice of where to be born to, was he? So, the fact that he was given birth to by a Saudi parents wasn’t his choice to make – it is entirely God’s choice. Yet, by God’s choice, the Saudi boy has been condemned to hell.

So, if you consider my points above, coupled with the fact that God is Omniscient, you will realise that we are just characters in a movie. And God is the scriptwriter. He already knows the end of the film– but the characters don’t.

God should represent the embodiment of existence in all its perfection, the supreme and absolute being. As Euripides said, “If God is truly God, He is perfect, lacking nothing.” Anything less than this, just the slightest compromise, would necessitate something other than, something inferior to, God. There can be no gray area, no in-between. Either God exists as the definitive force in the universe, or He does not exist at all.

The Christian God, or the Muslim Allah, or any other God whatsoever hasn’t qualify to be termed ‘God’ as stated above.

3 Likes

Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Rhymeyjohn: 2:00am On Sep 20, 2013
so much for this thesis, you woundnt mind me callinng it a directionless garbage. You atheist need to start thinking for your selves and not regorgitating what you googled, since you guys claim high inteligence. I cant wast time responding to worn out argument that are almost entirely baseless. But you do yourself a favor by asking this question, Are you actually an Atheist or an Antichrist/ian. That would expose you and put you in proper perspertives. Note, a theist is not necessarily a christian. A hard fact you Atheist should get into your brain.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Briareos(m): 2:15am On Sep 20, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: so much for this thesis, you woundnt mind me callinng it a directionless garbage. You atheist need to start thinking for your selves and not regorgitating what you googled, since you guys claim high inteligence. I cant wast time responding to worn out argument that are almost entirely baseless. But you do yourself a favor by asking this question, Are you actually an Atheist or an Antichrist/ian. That would expose you and put you in proper perspertives. Note, a theist is not necessarily a christian. A hard fact you Atheist should get into your brain.

Where did this come from? This can't possibly be the reply to my above post.

Sir, I suggest you calm down. No one is fighting with you.

1 Like

Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by UyiIredia(m): 11:06am On Sep 20, 2013
I usually like to know (or assume) what stance of a person is atheist, deist or theist when discussing issues like the OP so as to know what bias I'm most likely facing. Pantheism, agnosticism, ignosticism etc are IMO vagaries which I hold to be shades of the main 3 initially mentioned. I'm currently a deist. Now you state you are atheist but define God as a definitive force in the universe. Since I know some deists errantly call themselves atheists, I want to clarify this before moving on. Do you believe this force to be conscious and to be the cause of the universe ? A yes/no would do.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Briareos(m): 11:26am On Sep 20, 2013
God should represent the embodiment of existence in all its perfection, the supreme and absolute being. As Euripides said, “If God is truly God, He is perfect, lacking nothing.” Anything less than this, just the slightest compromise, would necessitate something other than, something inferior to, God. There can be no gray area, no in-between. Either God exists as the definitive force in the universe, or He does not exist at all.

If you read the above very well, you will realise I'm being subjective.

If a 'God' should exist - He must be perfect. And i spent the majority of my posts pointing out the imperfections of the Christian God (which to me is the most viable of all the Gods)

forget my stance - dont attack my belief - attack what I posted and show me how I am wrong! (if you think I'm wrong).
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 20, 2013
I was once very Religious, I considered my transparent acts of Righteousness the only way to show my fellow man the existence of God and followed the greatest commandment to Love my Neighbor as myself. I worshiped and preached and evangelized. then one instruction from a seemingly un-impressionable young man turned the Bible upside down. He said, The Bible is real no doubt, Validate it with Historical FACTS then tell me you still believe in GOD. I did (still do) and I find every reason to believe it has been a lie all along
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by tobechi20(m): 1:11pm On Sep 20, 2013
Ok.....atheist dont belive in God, yet they keep disturbing themselves.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by UyiIredia(m): 1:26pm On Sep 20, 2013
@ Braieros: As I said I tailor my response based on what I know (or assume) one's position is. In any case I will assume you are an atheist. I may post a detailed review later. But I agree with some criticisms of the Bible and Christianity you stated especially on hell, prayers and salvation. Some comments were caustic in a manner I think wrong such as the one on Songs of Solomon being a badly-written hentai book. I quite agree with what you conclude God is like which is what I wanted to clarify as to whether you believe God consvious or not.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2013
tobechi20: Ok.....atheist dont belive in God, yet they keep disturbing themselves.

Every man on this planet has an obligation to ensure the survival of the human race through Love, Wisdom and Peace. these 3 qualities continue to be the most preached by mostly hypocritical religious folks, such folks must be discouraged aggressively. it is not a matter of disturbing ourselves but disturbing irrational thoughts capable of destroying the fabric of sanity for all. You cannot be allowed to continue to discolor, taint and poison humanity with falsehood and cult-like arrangement. yes atheists have their own faults but we must all (as humans) fight to remove such barbaric immature reasoning so the world can progress...
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Briareos(m): 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ Braieros: As I said I tailor my response based on what I know (or assume) one's position is. In any case I will assume you are an atheist. I may post a detailed review later. But I agree with some criticisms of the Bible and Christianity you stated especially on hell, prayers and salvation. Some comments were caustic in a manner I think wrong such as the one on Songs of Solomon being a badly-written hentai book. I quite agree with what you conclude God is like which is what I wanted to clarify as to whether you believe God consvious or not.

I will be waiting for the review in good faith. Also, if you think my comment about SOS is caustic, then, I'm sure you haven't read it. Just peruse it when you are chanced.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by RayMcBlue(m): 2:19pm On Sep 20, 2013
tobechi20: Ok.....atheist dont belive in God, yet they keep disturbing themselves.

Not as much as you theists keep attempting to shove your religious baloney down other people's throats!
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by UyiIredia(m): 2:45pm On Sep 20, 2013
Briareos:

I will be waiting for the review in good faith. Also, if you think my comment about SOS is caustic, then, I'm sure you haven't read it. Just peruse it when you are chanced.

I have read it. It is a love poem not a $€xually-explicit material. Go to Bangbros or Literotica for that.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Briareos(m): 3:19pm On Sep 20, 2013
Song of Solomon 1 (NIV)
4 Take me away with you—let us hurry!
Let the king bring me into his chambers.

13 My beloved is to me a sachet of myrrh
resting between my brreasts.

Song of Solomon 4
5 Your brreasts are like two fawns,
like twin fawns of a gazelle

16 Awake, north wind,
and come, south wind!
Blow on my garden,
that its fragrance may spread everywhere.
Let my beloved come into his garden
and taste its choice fruits.

Song of Solomon 7
3 Your breasts are like two fawns,
like twin fawns of a gazelle.

7 Your stature is like that of the palm,
and your brreasts like clusters of fruit.
8 I said, “I will climb the palm tree;
I will take hold of its fruit.”
May your brreasts be like clusters of grapes on the vine,
the fragrance of your breath like apples,
9 and your mouth like the best wine.

Song of Solomon 8
8 We have a little sister,
and her brreasts are not yet grown.

10I am a wall,
and my brreasts are like towers

Count the number of times "brreasts" was mentioned. That's a random search. Imagine what i will come up with after 2 hours of search.

Buddy, i really dont know why this is even an issue. I gave many points above. Song of Solomon is just an extra bit.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Afrobasic(m): 3:41pm On Sep 20, 2013
voltron: I was once very Religious, I considered my transparent acts of Righteousness the only way to show my fellow man the existence of God and followed the greatest commandment to Love my Neighbor as myself. I worshiped and preached and evangelized. then one instruction from a seemingly un-impressionable young man turned the Bible upside down. He said, The Bible is real no doubt, Validate it with Historical FACTS then tell me you still believe in GOD. I did (still do) and I find every reason to believe it has been a lie all along

I don't get the bolded..
@OP brilliant write up!
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2013
Afrobasic:

I don't get the bolded..
@OP brilliant write up!

1: Do you believe the Bible is the infallible word of GOD
2: Do you believe that it is Chronologically accurate
3: Do you believe that the New Testament accounts of Jesus and his Miracles are true

Well i can prove you wrong on all three counts. without using any atheists or scientific argument but the Bible itself.. what do you say to that
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Afrobasic(m): 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2013
1)No
2)No
3)No
OKay.. I get now
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Rhymeyjohn: 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2013
@op not a fight, just not convenient ith how atheist praise themselves to high intellectual heaven. am sorry if i was rude.
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Rhymeyjohn: 10:59pm On Sep 20, 2013
voltron:

1: Do you believe the Bible is the infallible word of GOD
2: Do you believe that it is Chronologically accurate
3: Do you believe that the New Testament accounts of Jesus and his Miracles are true

YES

Well i can prove you wrong on all three counts. without using any atheists or scientific argument but the Bible itself.. what do you say to that
Please, bring it on. I am waiting for your challenge to show its incorrect without atheistic and scientific argument but make sure you do your background checks well, waiting....
Re: God: An Atheist Perspective by Briareos(m): 11:07pm On Sep 20, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: @op not a fight, just not convenient ith how atheist praise themselves to high intellectual heaven. am sorry if i was rude.

If you read in between the line of my post - you will realise I really want God to exist. I'm not babling for nothing. I'm not trying to prove a point to anybody. I expressed myself with the hope that somebody will correct my misgivings about God and with a sensible proof make me understand that He exist.

But so far - that hasn't happened.

(1) (Reply)

Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God / Top 10 Richest Pastors In The World / Any Church Who Is Collecting Tithe Is Not A Church, But A Synagogue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.