Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? (36771 Views)

List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? / The Implications Of Buying A Vehicle With High Odometer Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Olaposij(m): 10:51am On Sep 22, 2013
@Nuzo... You made my day with your write ups.. I'm a car enthusiast, I can't claim to be in the same class with ikenna and sienna, but I know I love my cars.
I've been driving a Toyota camry 2006 model for 3 years now and its been a wonderful experience. I have never had to visit a mechanic except for a oil change or to change my brake pads.. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2008 highlander.
Reading opinions of car experts on NL make me feel like a toyota is not a vehicle.. Nigerians that use toyota are not stupid... u cant live in Uk or canada and advice us on d type of car to drive on our roads.
I daresay I wont mind to have a 2013 bmw or audi as a 3rd car if I can afford it... But such a car will not be my only car..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 10:52am On Sep 22, 2013
lomomike:
Oº°˚˚° jare tnx brother mi, "...It is most times placed as a base trim level of a car specific model (I stand corrected) ..." The placing or non placing of a diesel engine as a base trim level for a model was the reason for the "(I stand corrected)". Sometimes the rationale behind manufacturers placing a variant as a base trim may be based on but not limited to:
1. type of engine diesel or petrol,
2. Engine displacement / number of cylinders,
3. Level of equipment upgrade found as standard,
4. Size of vehicle. (Short or long base). Etc. That's why I said "(I stand corrected)".

Hope I explained my clause clearly? smiley

You just suceeded in confusing me the more. No thanks. angry grin
Even Shoot@sight had to bring politics into his English language just to defend you.

Please state what you know and leave out the ones you don't know. No more assumptions just to convince/confuse people here. And pleaase, do well by stating where I am right. At least, you were the only one who accepted that Nigerians are not totally wrong by their choices.

Tenks. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 11:08am On Sep 22, 2013
Denn: A little bit of economics.....bandwagon theory.

If you own a business in Nigeria, just pray that the bandwagon does not swing against you because no amount of logic and advert will be able to win back your customers....

Shina Peters, IBB, ST Soap, dadawa seasoning, aji no moto, etc all have these in common

Bro, I will be the happiest today if you can explain properly and in details how the badwagon theory is connected with the examples you gave.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 11:21am On Sep 22, 2013
Olaposij: @Nuzo... You made my day with your write ups.. I'm a car enthusiast, I can't claim to be in the same class with ikenna and sienna, but I know I love my cars.
I've been driving a Toyota camry 2006 model for 3 years now and its been a wonderful experience. I have never had to visit a mechanic except for a oil change or to change my brake pads.. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2008 highlander.
Reading opinions of car experts on NL make me feel like a toyota is not a vehicle.. Nigerians that use toyota are not stupid... u cant live in Uk or canada and advice us on d type of car to drive on our roads.
I daresay I wont mind to have a 2013 bmw or audi as a 3rd car if I can afford it... But such a car will not be my only car..

Just when I was about to accept the verdict that I, like most Nigerians are "follow-follow" and love sterotying...a car enthusiast came to prove Ikenna and co wrong.

May your Toyota products keep delivering sir!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by benzzyno(m): 11:36am On Sep 22, 2013
@poster...do u av a car dat runs on diesel?? grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by mastro: 12:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
To answer the OP question Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle?

Because for the vast people of people there is no financial benefit.
1. Due to the price difference between petrol and diesel in Nigeria currently, a diesel car will cost you more per kilometer to fuel
2. Used diesel cars are generally more expensive to buy from Europe/USA, due to the cheaper fueling cost per kilometer obtainable in the western world.
3. The mechanic issue, there is simply a much smaller pool of capable mechanics for diesel cars, due to lack of market penetration
4. The quality of diesel, which is a combination of the black market of legitimate fuel and the home brewed fuel available in the market.

In my opinion avoid like crazy, ditto hybrid or LPG cars, just don't
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 1:21pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':

You are a very funny guy Shoot@sight. I like that.
But the problem is you are so bent on shooting yourself at the foot. cheesy

Given, I may have bitten more than I could chew by comparing a GLK to Tundra. Pardon me, I was merely looking for the easiest way to let you guys into my mind and of course the mind of Nigerians when it comes to brands and their workability (Toyota compared to other brands). That example was lost in translation.

Now, allow me to compare a GLK to Toyota Highlander. I was opportune to drive a friend's Highlander a couple of times. After all said and done, a Toyota Highlander still comes out tops in terms of durability, reliability and cost
Comparing a Highlander, and a GLK ? Damnit I give up! Highlander is a CROSSOVER, more like a compromise between a car and an SUV. GLK on Τђε other hand is a full fledge no nonsense SUV. First and foremost if u must compare please compare with a Nissan murano, Honda crv etc. grin
That aside please Neva compare a Mercedes with a Toyota ,they αяє not in ∂ same class and will not βε̲̣ for a very looooong time. If ever... Mercedes is a premium brand okay??
Let mε put it this way ,Ɣоυ αяє comparing a bajaj150cc bike with a Harley Davidson ! grin make comparison with a landcruiser perhaps okay ?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nicepoker(m): 1:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
imsparkling: They r so used 2 fuel cars
is diesel not a fuel?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 1:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
@ Nuzo',

I still don't know how you fail to understand my point about Nigerians vs Diesel.

Before I continue, I want to correct some wrong statements you made:

Nuzo":
1. Siena and Ikenna stated clearly that Nigeriiaans are only using diesel cars because their "mentor" (America) is using it. More like saying that we Niigerians foolishly copy whatever the Americans do

Siena didn't make that statement. I did.

Nuzo":
2. Ikenna and Cooldun also made a condescending statement about how Nigerians suck up auto-transmission vehicles...just because its lazy Americans favorites..

I don't recall making such statement in any of my posts in this thread.

Nuzo':
3. Ikenna and co has also been furious about Nigerian preferring the Toyota brand of cars to other brands. They went further to beret Nigerians for thinking very high of American specs when compared to European version.

Will get back to you on the above in my next post.

Ikenna.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ninilowo(m): 1:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ikenna351: Simple, because Americans don't drive diesels. The moment they start, Petrol cars will become "problematic" in Nigeria, to Nigerians.

Ikenna.
Hmmm......u mean KOLOMENTALITY?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nicepoker(m): 1:38pm On Sep 22, 2013
shejane: Dot kw much abt diesel cars thou bt I love my fuel car

Mayb if I try diesel car is possible I wil lyk it

Bt 4 now fuel car all d way nd toyota is d best
diesel is also fuel. Anything that suports combustion is a fuel.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 22, 2013
I can understand Nigerians being adverse to running diesel-powered cars in Nigeria, due to lack of technical support.

But the same trend applies to the average Nigerian in the UK. They moan and whinge about their car's thirst, they don't want an engine size below 1.6 litres, (understandable) yet won't go for diesel power. No excuse of lack of technical support, lack of diesel pumps at service stations, poor blend of diesel, noise, slow etc.

I have a friend who covers over 40,000 miles in a year (he's a sales rep). His fuel bill for last year was frightening. If he switched to a diesel-powered car, his fuel bill, despite the higher pump cost will be half of what he currently gets. He runs a 2008 BMW E60 530i. The 530D is a much more economical car to run, and quicker to boot.

So in my opinion, Nigerians shying away from diesel-powered cars is a mindset thing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 2:26pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':
Siena, Ikenna, cooldun et al.

These aforementioned are just like Jakumo, Mannylife etc in aeronotics. They are well versed, experienced and well traveled.
Some months ago, I was opportune to follow Ikenna's journey from Abuja to Anambra via Enugu. His story or maybe the way he told it made me feel like I was the actual traveller. I could count that thread as one of my most educating yet entertaining threads I've come across on Niaralnd since when I joined the forum in 2006.

I've leant a lot of maturity, professionalism and straight to the point kind oof approach to issues, especially in the auto section. I appreciate them. wink

That being said, I must note that sometimes I don't feel comfortable with the way they counter/confront some Nigerian regarding their opinions on automobiles. This confrontation is very evident in Siena, Ikenna nd Cooldun's comments here.

1. Siena and Ikenna stated clearly that Nigeriiaans are only using diesel cars because their "mentor" (America) is using it. More like saying that we Niigerians foolishly copy whatever the Americans do.

2. Ikenna and Cooldun also made a condescending statement about how Nigerians suck up auto-transmission vehicles...just because its lazy Americans favorites..

3. Ikenna and co has also been furious about Nigerian preferring the Toyota brand of cars to other brands. They went further to beret Nigerians for thinking very high of American specs when compared to European version.

I can't claim to know the major reasons why Nigerians are "ignorant" of their automobiles and their preferences. But I can't at least speak for myself. And before I do that, I want to also make it clear that I'm not a car/auto enthusiast...but I'm a big fan of sophistication, simplicity and efficiency in all I do. And that includes automobiles. grin

As I agree with assertion that Nigerians prefer petrol cars cos America do same. I would want Siena and co to do further research oon why Nigerians prefer this other than using the usual line "Nigerian likes copying Americans for the sake of it" to shut down any debate.

Aside from first hand experiences affecting the use of diesel engine cars like:
A. Higher pump price
B. Lack of good auto mechanics
C. Excess carbon dioxide
D. Noisy engine
E. Low speed (for older version)
F. Faulty injector
Et al.

I would love you guys to look into the fact that this love for American product and service is not just a Nigerian thing but a global phenomenon. From Brasili, Beijing, London to even Germany...the residents of these places prefer American specs of most products even if the product is an ididgenous to those places.
Now, the question is why is the world in love with American specs. Simple! High quality nd standard plus its uniqueness! So, what's actually wrong in people believing and going for American specs?

And as for Nigerians preferring Toyota to any other brand, I stand with them on that. I've been blessed to accelerate different brand of cars in my life; Datsun/Nissan, Mazda, Ford, Honda, Peogot GM, Mercedes and Toyota. I drove cars from these brands between 2 months to 10 years. Nothing compares to Toyota!

Aside from the value and compatibility, I would choose Toyota Tundra over Mercedes GLK450 (no be me get am o) without thinking it thru. I can't begin to recount my sweet times with Toyota Tundra as opposed to the not-so memorable time I had with the GLK450.
Is it the cheap maintenance, availability of spare parts, fuel economy, engine durability? There's just something about Toyota!

I'm not going to respond to Cooldun's comments regarding auto-transmission and manual. Cos if I do, he may even come with the idea that we should even prefer animal transportation to automobile...just because we want our roads to be free from accidents.

Once again, these guys are professionals and experts in automobile but the whole country can't be wrong.

Ps: Please pardon my incoherent essay.

Let me make my statement "Simple, because Americans don't drive diesels. The moment they start, Petrol cars will become "problematic" in Nigeria, to Nigerians." clearer for you.

If North Americans (USA & Canada) decide to ditch petrol cars and start using Diesel cars and avoid petrol cars like they do with diesel cars, what do you think you will in Nigeria? Petrol cars? From where? Europe? If like as you have confirmed above why you and majority of Nigerians prefer American speccs vehicles, is it not going to be from the same America that you will still order for cars or buy tokunbo cars from? Or are you now going to hate American cars because they are no longer petrol engine powered? Where will you order for cars then? India? Or do you think Inspired_m will convert those American specs cars from diesel to petrol engines before shipping them down for you to purchase? So, are you now going to ditch Toyota when all Toyotas that come from USA & Canada are diesels?

How many percentage of cars on Nigeria roads are tokunbo and how many are new? If tokunbo are more, do you think it won't affect the fuel type of new vehicles they will start selling in the country? Back then, PAN produced and sold only manual transmission Peugeot 504, 505, 406 & 607 (am not sure of 307 & 407). But they have come to realise that Nigerians have accepted auto tranny or prefer it more than manual tranny, hence, they recently introduced auto trannies in their new products in Nigeria, along side their manual counterparts: 308, 408, 508, 3008 & 4008. If tokunbo cars in Nigeria, most especially from USA, have made Peugeot to introduce auto transmission in their new cars, do you think if 90% of diesel tokunbo cars from US won't make Toyota do the same by introducing new diesel cars in Nigeria?

And as for "Nigerians like copying Americans". I would suggest you drop it because you do not want us to go down that road/argument. Because, If you want to insist, then tell me why of all the systems of government, Nigeria ditched the one they were operating and switched to Presidential System Americans were practising at that time till date. How is that working out for us? All of a sudden, Nigeria ditched the Europe number plate style and switched to American style. Can you honestly tell me which of them best suits Nigeria? The Europe style which is very bold and glaring everyone can see from afar, which will help Nigerian policemen? Or is it the tiny American style which can only be seen when you are standing directly close to the vehicle? Did it ever occur to Nigerians why Americans number plate is like that? When CCTV is there to snap and track any vehicle at any point in time, even if the numbers on the number plate are not visible to human eyes from afar, but for CCTV and other gadgets. What about Nigeria? How many States in the country have the CCTV, aside Abuja and maybe Lagos state? If a poor policeman can't see a number plate of a vehicle involved in a crime from afar, how then do you expect him to note the numbers? Even with their database, is it not when you have the numbers that you can do your search? Probably, the poor policeman may not even have a Camera phone to snap the car, in case they will zoom and get the numbers from there. Or may be a Nigerian Policeman is expected to have a telescopic eyes, may be.

To cut the story short, an average Nigerian is an "American -Wannabe". Our Sedentary lifestyle explains that a lot. If Americans switch to Diesel cars tomorrow, Nigerians will follow sharp-sharp. You can argue from now till tomorrow, but its a fact. Take it or leave it.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 2:59pm On Sep 22, 2013
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 3:02pm On Sep 22, 2013
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 3:35pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

Let me make my statement "Simple, because Americans don't drive diesels. The moment they start, Petrol cars will become "problematic" in Nigeria, to Nigerians." clearer for you.

If North Americans (USA & Canada) decide to ditch petrol cars and start using Diesel cars and avoid petrol cars like they do with diesel cars, what do you think you will in Nigeria? Petrol cars? From where? Europe? If like as you have confirmed above why you and majority of Nigerians prefer American speccs vehicles, is it not going to be from the same America that you will still order for cars or buy tokunbo cars from? Or are you now going to hate American cars because they are no longer petrol engine powered? Where will you order for cars then? India? Or do you think Inspired_m will convert those American specs cars from diesel to petrol engines before shipping them down for you to purchase? So, are you now going to ditch Toyota when all Toyotas that come from USA & Canada are diesels?

How many percentage of cars on Nigeria roads are tokunbo and how many are new? If tokunbo are more, do you think it won't affect the fuel type of new vehicles they will start selling in the country? Back then, PAN produced and sold only manual transmission Peugeot 504, 505, 406 & 607 (am not sure of 307 & 407). But they have come to realise that Nigerians have accepted auto tranny or prefer it more than manual tranny, hence, they recently introduced auto trannies in their new products in Nigeria, along side their manual counterparts: 308, 408, 508, 3008 & 4008. If tokunbo cars in Nigeria, most especially from USA, have made Peugeot to introduce auto transmission in their new cars, do you think if 90% of diesel tokunbo cars from US won't make Toyota do the same by introducing new diesel cars in Nigeria?

And as for "Nigerians like copying Americans". I would suggest you drop it because you do not want us to go down that road/argument. Because, If you want to insist, then tell me why of all the systems of government, Nigeria ditched the one they were operating and switched to Presidential System Americans were practising at that time till date. How is that working out for us? All of a sudden, Nigeria ditched the Europe number plate style and switched to American style. Can you honestly tell me which of them best suits Nigeria? The Europe style which is very bold and glaring everyone can see from afar, which will help Nigerian policemen? Or is it the tiny American style which can only be seen when you are standing directly close to the vehicle? Did it ever occur to Nigerians why Americans number plate is like that? When CCTV is there to snap and track any vehicle at any point in time, even if the numbers on the number plate are not visible to human eyes from afar, but for CCTV and other gadgets. What about Nigeria? How many States in the country have the CCTV, aside Abuja and maybe Lagos state? If a poor policeman can't see a number plate of a vehicle involved in a crime from afar, how then do you expect him to note the numbers? Even with their database, is it not when you have the numbers that you can do your search? Probably, the poor policeman may not even have a Camera phone to snap the car, in case they will zoom and get the numbers from there. Or may be a Nigerian Policeman is expected to have a telescopic eyes, may be.

To cut the story short, an average Nigerian is an "American -Wannabe". Our Sedentary lifestyle explains that a lot. If Americans switch to Diesel cars tomorrow, Nigerians will follow sharp-sharp. You can argue from now till tomorrow, but its a fact. Take it or leave it.

Ikenna.

Now the big question is why do Americans drive more petrol cars instead of diesel, abi Dem too Dey follow follow. On the basis of Nigeria, I don't think its follow follow. We don't manufacture cars in Nigeria so we source from abroad and the USA still remains the biggest market for used cars, especially Toyota and Honda which is what we appreciate most in Nigeria. Yes that's true because they are more reliable. Europe cars tend to be faster and more luxurious but those japs brings a balance to economy, reliability and comfort which no other cars can even come close to. Ask urself, if u can own only one car as ur daily driver and u have option between a 2008 Mercedes Benz e320 and a 2008 Toyota Camry which one would u choose. I mean a car that u drive everyday around the city,good and bad roads.. Will u choose the Benz? Even if u do, most people will choose the Toyota because its more of an everyday car. Most people that own those exotic Europe cars have more than one car, and their daily driver is always these japs that u condemn.

Back to the topic... Diesel cars are more expensive to manufacture compared to petrols, manufacturers have to install turbo into diesel engines just to make their speed close to diesels. Diesel engines make more noise too and not environmental friendly based on emission and these are factors Americans take serious. U can't say Nigerians use petrol just because Americans use more of petrol... Petrol cars bring a better balance to speed, reliability and are more environmental friendly than their diesel counterparts and that's why Americans , thus Nigerians embrace it. Don't forget Americans use left hand drive too... So next thing u will say is Nigerians use left hand drive just because Americans use it. If Toyota and Honda are readily available in Europe, with left hand drive and cheaper, trust me Nigerians will buy their cars from there instead of USA
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 4:02pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

Europe cars tend to be faster and more luxurious but those japs brings a balance to economy, reliability and comfort. if u can own only one car as ur daily driver and u have option between a 2008 Mercedes Benz e320 and a 2008 Toyota Camry which one would u choose. I mean a car that u drive everyday around the city,good and bad roads. most people will choose the Toyota because its more of an everyday car. Most people that own those exotic Europe cars have more than one car, and their daily driver is always these japs that u condemn

Diesel engines make more noise too and not environmental friendly based on emission
I agree with u on some of the points raised , but on others I'm afraid I disagree. First, even if one were †̥σ own just one car, it still boils down †̥σ a matter of choice. If u decide †̥σ go for the e320, it is only naturally u'∂ be ready for relatively and/or slightly higher running costs. Αяє u saying that there αяє no individuals who successfully use an European car as their only vehicle ?
Also how come the notion that diesel cars make noise ? Surely u should have driven or come across newer diesel car models ? Or are u going by the noisy and smoky trucks on our roads? Mr, diesel automobiles burn cleaner these days...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 4:40pm On Sep 22, 2013
Oga Ikenna,

I appreciate you and the rest of the car enthusiast for taking your time to reply me. I've learnt a lot between yesterday and today.
I also want to use this opportunity to apologies for a minor and wrongful accusations.

That being said, I would be happy to refer you to Electr80's comment. Most of the points and questions I wanted to raise are already in his last post.

But for posterity sake, I would love to make some points very clear:
That my opinion was formed from the model of diesel cars between 1990s to 2004.

If there are new and distinguished innovations in diesel cars in recent years, I don't know. But I'm very sure that Nigerians will not hesitate to massively aquire and drive it the moment it passes the necessary Nigerian reality check: cost, durability, air and noise pollution, mechanical manoeuvre etc.
Coincidentally, Americans would have noticed the same improvement/innovation and do the same. We will still go ahead and tag it what it is; coincidence...not follow follow mentality.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by just4just: 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2013
I like d expertise u pple display here. I had wonder too y nigerian prefer some brands of vehicle as it boils on cchoice I still prefer to explore new oportunity. I had chosen diesel engine b4 now but ur explanation has justify my decision. Thanks u all
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 4:54pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

Now the big question is why do Americans drive more petrol cars instead of diesel, abi Dem too Dey follow follow. On the basis of Nigeria, I don't think its follow follow. We don't manufacture cars in Nigeria so we source from abroad and the USA still remains the biggest market for used cars, especially Toyota and Honda which is what we appreciate most in Nigeria. Yes that's true because they are more reliable. Europe cars tend to be faster and more luxurious but those japs brings a balance to economy, reliability and comfort which no other cars can even come close to. Ask urself, if u can own only one car as ur daily driver and u have option between a 2008 Mercedes Benz e320 and a 2008 Toyota Camry which one would u choose. I mean a car that u drive everyday around the city,good and bad roads.. Will u choose the Benz? Even if u do, most people will choose the Toyota because its more of an everyday car. Most people that own those exotic Europe cars have more than one car, and their daily driver is always these japs that u condemn.

Back to the topic... Diesel cars are more expensive to manufacture compared to petrols, manufacturers have to install turbo into diesel engines just to make their speed close to diesels. Diesel engines make more noise too and not environmental friendly based on emission and these are factors Americans take serious. U can't say Nigerians use petrol just because Americans use more of petrol... Petrol cars bring a better balance to speed, reliability and are more environmental friendly than their diesel counterparts and that's why Americans , thus Nigerians embrace it. Don't forget Americans use left hand drive too... So next thing u will say is Nigerians use left hand drive just because Americans use it. If Toyota and Honda are readily available in Europe, with left hand drive and cheaper, trust me Nigerians will buy their cars from there instead of USA

Did you actually read my post you responded to?

"Why do Americans drive more of Petrol cars instead of Diesel?" We are not here to discuss why Americans drive petrol cars instead. Let's focus on the topic.

"European cars vs American cars?" Really? Who is comparing car brands here? I was making reference to specifications not brands, please.

"RHD vs LHD?" Don't you think you may be contradicting yourself here? Have you forgotten that Nigeria was formerly RHD, but later changed to LHD. Any reason why we changed the UK driving position to LHD American driving position? Or was there any other reason for that change I do not know? Or were you trying to prove the point "copy-copy"?

" If Toyota and Honda are readily available in Europe, with left hand drive and cheaper, trust me Nigerians will buy their cars from there instead of USA" Seriously? Are you saying Europeans don't drive petrol Toyotas and Hondas as well? Or you saying there are no LHD European countries that drive Toyotas and Hondas? Have you taken your time to compare car prices between America and Europe?

Sorry, you just proved my point in this thread. Lol!

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 4:56pm On Sep 22, 2013
shoot@sight:

Comparing a Highlander, and a GLK ? Damnit I give up! Highlander is a CROSSOVER, more like a compromise between a car and an SUV. GLK on Τђε other hand is a full fledge no nonsense SUV. First and foremost if u must compare please compare with a Nissan murano, Honda crv etc. grin
That aside please Neva compare a Mercedes with a Toyota ,they αяє not in ∂ same class and will not βε̲̣ for a very looooong time. If ever... Mercedes is a premium brand okay??
Let mε put it this way ,Ɣоυ αяє comparing a bajaj150cc bike with a Harley Davidson ! grin make comparison with a landcruiser perhaps okay ?

Bro, its clear you are out to quote me out of context....and at all cost. You have now mastered the art of using my examples to strike me even when you very well understand the point I'm trying to make. grin

Good a thing Electra80 came to my rescue with the E-class and Camry example. I shouldve have done the same earlier but for the need to relay the debate with my experience...it kind of lost in translation.

Its my greatest pleasure to allow oga Electra80 to continue from here...if need be.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 5:11pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':
Oga Ikenna,

I appreciate you and the rest of the car enthusiast for taking your time to reply me. I've learnt a lot between yesterday and today.
I also want to use this opportunity to apologies for a minor and wrongful accusations.

That being said, I would be happy to refer you to Electr80's comment. Most of the points and questions I wanted to raise are already in his last post.

But for posterity sake, I would love to make some points very clear:
That my opinion was formed from the model of diesel cars between 1990s to 2004.

If there are new and distinguished innovations in diesel cars in recent years, I don't know. But I'm very sure that Nigerians will not hesitate to massively aquire and drive it the moment it passes the necessary Nigerian reality check: cost, durability, air and noise pollution, mechanical manoeuvre etc.
Coincidentally, Americans would have noticed the same improvement/innovation and do the same. We will still go ahead and tag it what it is; coincidence...not follow follow mentality.

"That my opinion was formed from the model of diesel cars between 1990s to 2004.... " Ever heard of Peugeot HDI engines (Diesels)? Peugeot is widely known for Diesel cars, not petrol. They sell more of their Diesel cars in Europe than the petrol. Ask those in UK to tell you how many 406 HDIs were sold in UK? Other car manufacturers install Peugeot Diesel engines in their Diesel cars as new.

Now read below:

"In 2002, a Peugeot 406 HDi set the world record for the longest distance driven on a single tank of fuel. The car travelled across Australia between Melbourne to Rockhampton, with a total distance of 2,348 km"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_406

Note that a "single tank of fuel" in Peugeot 406 means 70 Litres, both petrol and Diesel.

If you have driven any Peugeot with Diesel engine produced from the '90s till date, you would have known that a lot have changed from the era of 504/505 diesel engines. The noise associated with Diesel engines is long gone with advent of the HDI engines. A petrol car with faulty injection system will emit black smoke, the same with diesel car with engine management issue. Black smoke is not associated with Diesel engines alone. That's the mistake people make. Anyone with black smoke has problem. The owner simply refuses to fix the problem, just like petrol cars with black smoke symptom. Or are saying you don't see petrol cars emitting black smoke in Nigeria?

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

Now the big question is why do Americans drive more petrol cars instead of diesel, abi Dem too Dey follow follow.

Gasoline is relatively cheap in North America. Hence they have not just more petrol engines, but favour big displacement engines too. But, the trend is changing, with more diesel engines being introduced into the US market. Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen now sell diesel models in North America, which wasn't the case some years back. Gasoline prices are rising.

elektra80:

On the basis of Nigeria, I don't think its follow follow. We don't manufacture cars in Nigeria so we source from abroad and the USA still remains the biggest market for used cars, especially Toyota and Honda which is what we appreciate most in Nigeria.

Because the average Nigerian will move to the United States, so naturally they'll source their cars there. And set up export business. The average Nigerian has more US than European contacts in the business. And something else - the average Nigerian is fixated upon "American spec" cars. Funny thing is the Americans actually prefer Euro-spec cars where they're an option. Euro-spec cars handle better, with firmer suspension, and more outright power. US-spec cars have their maximum power and speed electronically limited.

elektra80:

Ask urself, if u can own only one car as ur daily driver and u have option between a 2008 Mercedes Benz e320 and a 2008 Toyota Camry which one would u choose. I mean a car that u drive everyday around the city,good and bad roads.. Will u choose the Benz?

I would pick a Mercedes-Benz over a Japmobile, every time. The day I would pick a Toyota Camry, a bland car that has no feel, no soul, no driver's enjoyment would be the day I would burn my Nigerian Driver's Licence, and employ a driver full time.

Funny thing is, you mention bad roads, yet you're mentioning family sedans. Don't SUV's exist in Nigeria? You should be talking Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon Vs Toyota Landcruiser!

elektra80:
Back to the topic... Diesel cars are more expensive to manufacture compared to petrols, manufacturers have to install turbo into diesel engines just to make their speed close to diesels.

Not true. But let's assume diesel-powered cars cost more to manufacture than their gasolne-powered equivalent. How does this translate to the end user in Nigeria? The cost of an Audi A6 3.0 V6 TDI is less than that of an Audi A6 3.2 V6 FSI petrol of the same year!

And manufacturers don't "have to" install turbos to match their gasoline-powered equivalents. The turbo on a diesel engine has one main objective - to allow the engine to run cleaner. The extra power gained is a secondary consideration, an added bonus. Besides, not all diesels are turbocharged, and not all gasoline engines are naturally-aspirated.

Let me give you something else to consider:

A direct-injection gasoline engine cost MORE to manufacture, than a diesel one! If I told you the sost of a single injector, and the high-pressure gasoline pump in a direct-injection engine, you'd soon see where the extra costs come from.

The gap between the gasoline and diesel engine, in terms of performance is growing, and in the diesel engine's favour.

elektra80:

Diesel engines make more noise too and not environmental friendly based on emission and these are factors Americans take serious.

I know all about emmission control in North America, in articular the CARB (Californian Air Resources Board).

You cite noise as a reason not to run a diesel-engine car. Unless you're referring to a tractor, indirect injection diesel, or a diesel engine in a Japmobile, your statement with regards noise levels is unfounded.

I mention Japanese diesels, because traditionally, the Japanese have not really pushed diesel production in small to medium-size passenger cars. So they have invested little in terms of small diesel engine production, which is why the diesel engines in Japmobiles are not really refined. With some Japanese manufacturers preferring to outsource diesel engines from existing manufacturers. The current Mitsubishi Lancer is a prime example, the diesel model runs none other than Audi's excellent 2.0 common-rail TDI!

I doubt you've driven a recent Euro diesel lately, otherwise you would NOT cite noise as a negative. Diesel engines are quieter than petrol engines, at mid to full throttle. The higher you rev, the lower the decibel levels. They are slightly more audible than gasoline engines at idle when cold. Once warm, it's hard to differentiate between gasoline and diesels at idle speeds.

The combustion process is very different between a gas andf diesel motor, much hotter in the gas variant. This is why a diesel engine can lose its rear muffler, and the exhaust note won't change.

Emmission levels? That's a laugh! Gasoline engines have higher emmission levels than the equivalent diesel one! Don't confuse visible smoke from a diesel engine with high emmissions. And current diesels don't produce visible smoke, even under hard accelleration. Even cleaner than catalyst-equipped gasoline engines. With the introduction of DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) modern diesels are clean enough to attract lower taxation classes.

elektra80:
Petrol cars bring a better balance to speed, reliability and are more environmental friendly than their diesel counterparts and that's why Americans , thus Nigerians embrace it.

Urrrmm, your statement above would suggest the "herd mentality". So I guess if the Americans "embraced" the diesel engine, then Nigerians would automatically do the same! This is EXACTLY what Ikenna has been stating, and many have been refuting, or rather, attempting to!

So we're now in agreement, whatever the United States embraces, Nigeria would meekly follow suit.

elektra80:
Don't forget Americans use left hand drive too... So next thing u will say is Nigerians use left hand drive just because Americans use it. If Toyota and Honda are readily available in Europe, with left hand drive and cheaper, trust me Nigerians will buy their cars from there instead of USA

Lol...Nigeria WAS RHD. And changed to LHD in April 1972.

Nigerians buy their cars fro North America due toconvenience, the coveted "American spec". Oddly, when you factor in the cost of lets say a 2001 Toyota Camry, transportation across NA to the port, (depending on the car's origin) local taxes AND shipping, a European model actually works out cheaper.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 6:10pm On Sep 22, 2013
By the way, for those in US, Peugeot partnered with GM earlier this year or late last year (not sure again), to produce diesel cars together. So, expect GM cars with Peugeot HDI engines in North America soon.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 6:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

Did you actually read my post you responded to?

"Why do Americans drive more of Petrol cars instead of Diesel?" We are not here to discuss why Americans drive Petrol cars instead. Let's focus on the topic.

"European cars vs American cars?" Really? Who is comparing car brands here? I was making reference to specifications not brands, please.

"RHD vs LHD?" Don't you think you may be contradicting yourself here? Have you forgotten that Nigeria was formerly RHD, but later changed to LHD. Any reason why we changed the UK driving position to LHD American driving position? Or was there any other reason for that change I do not know? Or were you trying to prove the point "copy-copy"?

" If Toyota and Honda are readily available in Europe, with left hand drive and cheaper, trust me Nigerians will buy their cars from there instead of USA" Seriously? Are you saying Europeans don't drive petrol Toyotas and Hondas as well? Or you saying there are no LHD European countries that drive Toyotas and Hondas? Have you taken your time to compare car prices between America and Europe?

Sorry, you just proved my point in this thread. Lol!

Ikenna.

So tell me one other single country where u can import as many used and new cars that is as big as USA. And don't tell me Europe because Europe is made up of many countries. Some states in USA are even bigger than 10 countries combined in europe. Coupled with the fact that many euro countries use right hand drive. Its a simple matter of demand and supply. U get more supply in the USA and u don't have to worry about conversion from RHD to LHD. If u are a car dealer, will u source ur cars from Europe or USA considering the demand of customers. I still stand by my point, its not follow follow at all. If there's another country that has a higher supply of what the customers want, dealers will source from them.

About the case of RHD to LHD... Mr IKenna, are u trying to tell me its only USA that use LHD? SO IF NIGERIA SWITCH FROM RHD TO LHD THEN IT MEANS THEY COPY USA. Why didn't u say the copied Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Korea, etc. Why didn't u say we copied any of those countries, or are those countries also copying he USA. Maybe Nigeria should have invented their own steering side, maybe use centre driving, that way u won't say we are copying anybody. Nigeria is not the only country that switched to LHD FROM RHD. Are u saying all those countries also copied USA? And what's wrong in copying USA anyway, are we better than them in any way? I'm sure there's a reason Nigeria switched but its not a matter of copy copy or American wannabe as Mr ikenna puts it. Probably because we are surrounded by countries using LHD.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by jcshols: 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
Thermal efficiency is gud in diesel.
"Accordin to d British Society of Motor Manufacturin and Traders, d EU average 4 diesel cars account for 50% of d total sold, includin 70% in France and 38% in d UK" Please take note of d 38% in UK(So its not TOTALLY a 9ja thingy)
I believe its a general ish. Even with manufacturers,on d whole,u v more 'non-diesel' cars than u have diesel. Else if it was down to strictly "copying yankee',how come we have few American cars(Parent Company in America and not 'built for American market')in 9ja.How many cadillacs,chevys,dodges,pontiacs,GMCs,Lincolns etc do we v hia?'Diesel exhaust is well known 4 its xtic smell; but this smell in recent yrs has bcom much less because d sulfur is now removed from d fuel in d oil refinery.Diesel exhaust has been found to contain a long list of toxic air contaminants. Among dese pollutants, fine particle pollution is perhaps d most important as a cause of diesel's harmful health effects.''Naturally aspirated diesels tend to lack power and torque at d top of their speed range. This narrow band is a reason why a vehicle such as a truck may have a gearbox with as many as 18 or more gears, to allow d engine's power to be used effectively at all speeds. ' Naturally aspirated diesels, almost without exception, have a lower power output than a petrol engine of d same capacity whilst d same time requiring stronger (and thus heavier) internal components such as d pistons and crankshaft to withstand greater stresses of diesel engine's operatin cycle.These factors give naturally aspirated diesels a poor power-to-weight ratio.Diesel engines v longer life span but r xpensive and make use of heavy materials.Diesel is less readily available,glow plugs in diesel engines require u w8 b4 startin so it cld heat up.Diesel engines, because of weight and compression ratio,tend to hav lower maximum RPM ranges than gasoline engines,this makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepowa and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration.Many of d new diesel engine designs usin advanced computer control are eliminatin many of these disadvantages --smoke, noise, vibration and cost are all declinin.In d future, we are likely to see many more diesel engines on the road.Its worthy to note d@ an average Nigerian does not drive a car made 2010 upwards 4 example talkmore of drivin a new car,well @lest from wia I de(South West,ignore gidi) and whch means a lot of ds improvmnts on diesel engine might nt b available on wht they ride whch leaves room for only d rich n probably d enthusiast.d rich wu isn't an enthusiast(whch's most likely wht an avrage rich Nigerian isnt)will probably base hs judgement on d historical disadvantages of diesel n hence won't go 4 diesel.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2013
jcshols: Thermal efficiency is gud in diesel.
"Accordin to d British Society of Motor Manufacturin and Traders, d EU average 4 diesel cars account for 50% of d total sold, includin 70% in France and 38% in d UK" Please take note of d 38% in UK(So its not TOTALLY a 9ja thingy)
I believe its a general ish. Even with manufacturers,on d whole,u v more 'non-diesel' cars than u have diesel. Else if it was down to strictly "copying yankee',how come we have few American cars(Parent Company in America and not 'built for American market')in 9ja.How many cadillacs,chevys,dodges,pontiacs,GMCs,Lincolns etc do we v hia?'Diesel exhaust is well known 4 its xtic smell; but this smell in recent yrs has bcom much less because d sulfur is now removed from d fuel in d oil refinery.Diesel exhaust has been found to contain a long list of toxic air contaminants. Among dese pollutants, fine particle pollution is perhaps d most important as a cause of diesel's harmful health effects.''Naturally aspirated diesels tend to lack power and torque at d top of their speed range. This narrow band is a reason why a vehicle such as a truck may have a gearbox with as many as 18 or more gears, to allow d engine's power to be used effectively at all speeds. ' Naturally aspirated diesels, almost without exception, have a lower power output than a petrol engine of d same capacity whilst d same time requiring stronger (and thus heavier) internal components such as d pistons and crankshaft to withstand greater stresses of diesel engine's operatin cycle.These factors give naturally aspirated diesels a poor power-to-weight ratio.Diesel engines v longer life span but r xpensive and make use of heavy materials.Diesel is less readily available,glow plugs in diesel engines require u w8 b4 startin so it cld heat up.Diesel engines, because of weight and compression ratio,tend to hav lower maximum RPM ranges than gasoline engines,this makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepowa and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration.Many of d new diesel engine designs usin advanced computer control are eliminatin many of these disadvantages --smoke, noise, vibration and cost are all declinin.In d future, we are likely to see many more diesel engines on the road.Its worthy to note d@ an average Nigerian does not drive a car made 2010 upwards 4 example talkmore of drivin a new car,well @lest from wia I de(South West,ignore gidi) and whch means a lot of ds improvmnts on diesel engine might nt b available on wht they ride whch leaves room for only d rich n probably d enthusiast.d rich wu isn't an enthusiast(whch's most likely wht an avrage rich Nigerian isnt)will probably base hs judgement on d historical disadvantages of diesel n hence won't go 4 diesel.

Thank u very much. Mr Ikenna and co are talking as if its only in Nigeria that people don't embrace diesel cars. I know newer model diesel cars make less noise and are becoming faster, but then they have to go through a reliability test of say 10 years before people will actually embrace them. If a new car maker comes to the market today and manufactures cars that are on the same par as Mercedez Benz and BMW and put the price in the same range as those cars.. will people buy it? The answer is no.. It will take lots of years of consistency before people will come to trust and embrace them. I know diesel cars have been around for a long time, but they were slow, have bad emmission and are loud.. Most of thr problems have been corrected in the recent models but will take time for people to embrace.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2013
jcshols: Thermal efficiency is gud in diesel.

Correct.

jcshols:
Diesel exhaust is well known 4 its xtic smell; but this smell in recent yrs has bcom much less because d sulfur is now removed from d fuel in d oil refinery.Diesel exhaust has been found to contain a long list of toxic air contaminants. Among dese pollutants, fine particle pollution is perhaps d most important as a cause of diesel's harmful health effects.''Naturally aspirated diesels tend to lack power and torque at d top of their speed range. This narrow band is a reason why a vehicle such as a truck may have a gearbox with as many as 18 or more gears, to allow d engine's power to be used effectively at all speeds. ' [b]Naturally aspirated diesels, almost without exception, have a lower power output than a petrol engine of d same capacity whilst d same time requiring stronger (and thus heavier) internal components such as d pistons and crankshaft to withstand greater stresses of diesel engine's operatin cycle.[/b]These factors give naturally aspirated diesels a poor power-to-weight ratio.Diesel engines v longer life span but r xpensive and make use of heavy materials.Diesel is less readily available,glow plugs in diesel engines require u w8 b4 startin so it cld heat up.Diesel engines, because of weight and compression ratio,tend to hav lower maximum RPM ranges than gasoline engines,this makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepowa and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration.Many of d new diesel engine designs usin advanced computer control are eliminatin many of these disadvantages --smoke, noise, vibration and cost are all declinin.In d future, we are likely to see many more diesel engines on the road.

Bro, when you lift complete blocks of text from Wikipedia, it's no wonder you don't actually understand the combustion process in a diesel engine! At least have the good grace to post the link to the site you copied and pasted from!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-diesel

And if you understand how a diesel engine works, you wouldn't even mention glow plugs, and the waiting time required before you attempt to start the engine. With direct injection diesel engines, there's no waiting time. I also run a 2008 BMW 120D M-Sport. I can jump into the car on a winter morning, with amient temperature as low as -25 degrees C. And simply start her as I would a gasoline engine. No drama, no waiting.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 6:55pm On Sep 22, 2013
Siena:
Gasoline is relatively cheap in North America. Hence they have not just more petrol engines, but favour big displacement engines too. But, the trend is changing, with more diesel engines being introduced into the US market. Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen now sell diesel models in North America, which wasn't the case some years back. Gasoline prices are rising.

Glad u said the trend is changing.. so let's wait until its finally changed. Last time I checked there are still more Petrol cars on the road than diesel.

Siena:
Because the average Nigerian will move to the United States, so naturally they'll source their cars there. And set up export business. The average Nigerian has more US than European contacts in the business. And something else - the average Nigerian is fixated upon "American spec" cars. Funny thing is the Americans actually prefer Euro-spec cars where they're an option. Euro-spec cars handle better, with firmer suspension, and more outright power. US-spec cars have their maximum power and speed electronically limited.

Do u expect the average Nigerian to do business in a country where he doesn't have contact? If u are a businessman, would u rather do business in a country where u have no contact when u know u have contacts in a country that has a bigger market?

Siena:
I would pick a Mercedes-Benz over a Japmobile, every time. The day I would pick a Toyota Camry, a bland car that has no feel, no soul, no driver's enjoyment would be the day I would burn my Nigerian Driver's Licence, and employ a driver full time.

Funny thing is, you mention bad roads, yet you're mentioning family sedans. Don't SUV's exist in Nigeria? You should be talking Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon Vs Toyota Landcruiser!

I was talking about an average Nigerian. How much do u think the minimum wage is in this country? If u offer an average Nigerian a Toyota Landcruiser and a mercedez Benz G wagon as an only car, and a daily driver, to use it come rain come shine, everyday.. he will choose the Landcruiser because he knows it is easier to maintain. Not that he doesn't wish he has the Benz, but because the extra money to fix the Benz when it develops fault can be used for other things. Again.. I am talking for an average Nigerian, not some rich ones. The average ones dominate about 80% of the population.

Siena
Not true. But let's assume diesel-powered cars cost more to manufacture than their gasolne-powered equivalent. How does this translate to the end user in Nigeria? The cost of an Audi A6 3.0 V6 TDI is less than that of an Audi A6 3.2 V6 FSI petrol of the same year!

And manufacturers don't "have to" install turbos to match their gasoline-powered equivalents. The turbo on a diesel engine has one main objective - to allow the engine to run cleaner. The extra power gained is a secondary consideration, an added bonus. Besides, not all diesels are turbocharged, and not all gasoline engines are naturally-aspirated.

Let me give you something else to consider:

A direct-injection gasoline engine cost MORE to manufacture, than a diesel one! If I told you the sost of a single injector, and the high-pressure gasoline pump in a direct-injection engine, you'd soon see where the extra costs come from.

The gap between the gasoline and diesel engine, in terms of performance is growing, and in the diesel engine's favour.

So why don't we have more diesel cars than petrol then.. not only in Nigeria but in all countries. Since they are generally cheaper.

Siena:
I doubt you've driven a recent Euro diesel lately, otherwise you would NOT cite noise as a negative.

I accept newer diesel powered cars burn cleaner.. but how many people can afford a new car in Nigeria. Not only in Nigeria anyway but in all 3rd world countries? Even in advanced countries how many people buy new cars cash and carry? They take car loans and pay every month within a specified time, unlike in Nigeria where u have to buy cash and carry. So let's wait until these newer diesel cars have been used by their first owners and then shipped to use as tokunbo, then we can access.

Siena:
Urrrmm, your statement above would suggest the "herd mentality". So I guess if the Americans "embraced" the diesel engine, then Nigerians would automatically do the same! This is EXACTLY what Ikenna has been stating, and many have been refuting, or rather, attempting to!

So we're now in agreement, whatever the United States embraces, Nigeria would meekly follow suit.

Its not a matter of 'Herd Mentality'. I have lived in a few countries and I don't see diesel cars much on the road. Its a case of if it ain't broken, why fix it? Unless diesel cars bring something extremely 'WOW' to the game, people will continue buying more petrol cars.. I guess we have to wait until then. Why do u guys talk as if its only Nigeria that don't embrace diesel cars? Countries like Malaysia, singapore, china, Japan, Australia, etc don't use diesel cars that much. SO I am not agreeing to ur theory that whatever United states embraces, Nigeria would meekly follow. A lot of countries use LHD, Nigeria swithched, so what? Why didn't Ikenna say they copied Germany, Italy, Canada, Netherlands, Belgium, etc.. or should we say those countries also copied USA?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 7:26pm On Sep 22, 2013
@ electra80,

Did you say Autralians don't drive diesel cars that much? Where exactly are you getting all these your information from? Why are you trying so hard to prove a point with wrong information?

This thing with your "Nigerians can't afford newer Diesels, let's wait it out". Do you know how long HDI engines have been out there? How many Toyota Camry Pencil light, fish light, Big for Nothing and Muscle are out there on Nigerian road? How many Honda Accord Halla, Academy, Baby boy, EOD, Discussion continues and Evil spirit are out there on Nigerian road? Are you saying all these while Nigerians were buying these cars, modern diesel cars have not been in existence? When was Peugeot 406 production started and when did it end? Are you saying 406 HDIs never existed when the petrol versions were produced, used, sold and shipped into Nigeria for 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand use? Are you saying all those while Toyota Camry '98-2007 models never got modern diesel engines we all have been pointing out? So if majority of Nigerians can afford these used petrol cars sold between 1m - 3m or more, are you saying such amount couldn't have bought them the diesel counterparts? Haba!

About Nigeria switching from RHD to LHD, you brought it up and i stated if you want to go that road, who knows if Nigeria switched to LHD because of US, following other changes that have taken place at that time which i noted. Did i not state there could be other reasons for the switch other than copy-copy? Why do you have to twist my words to prove a point?

About US vs Euro auto market size. It all started in Nigeria with he term "Belgium". From there, it graduated to "Tokunbo". During that time, Nigerians were more or less "evacuating" all Benz E-Class( flat boot & V-Boot), Volvo (200 series & 700 series), etc, from European countries with LHD position to Nigeria. When they finished evacuating those cars to Nigeria, the dealers switched to US and Canada and got stuck. So, Tokunbo didn't start from US, but Europe. Are you saying used cars from France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain and other European countries driving LHD cars won't be enough for Nigerians who cant afford new cars? Are we bigger than those countries joined together?

Anyway, you still have not not proved my position in this thread wrong. I want someone to prove to me that if Americans switch to diesel cars tomorrow, that Nigerians won't follow suit. If i can be proved wrong, then i will park and leave this thread for good.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ikenna351: @ electra80,

Did you say Autralians don't drive diesel cars that much? Where exactly are you getting all these your information from? Why are you trying so hard to prove a point with wrong information?

This thing with your "Nigerians can't afford newer Diesels, let's wait it out". Do you know how long HDI engines have been out there? How many Toyota Camry Pencil light, fish light, Big for Nothing and Muscle is out there on Nigerian road? How many Honda Accord Halla, Academy, Baby boy, EOD, Discussion continues and Evil spirit is out there on Nigerian roads? Are you saying all these while Nigerians were buying these cars, modern diesel cars have not been in existence? When was Peugeot 406 production started and when did it end? Are you saying 406 HDIs never existed when the petrol versions were produced, used, sold and shipped into Nigeria for 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand use? Are you saying all those while Toyota Camry '98-2007 models never got modern diesel engines we all have been pointing out? So if majority of Nigerians can afford these cars sold between 1m - 3m or more, are you saying such amount couldn't have bought them the diesel counterparts? Haba!

About Nigeria switching from RHD to LHD, you brought it up and i stated if you want to go that road, who knows if Nigeria switched to LHD because of US, following other changes that have taken place at that time which i noted. Did i not state there could be other reason for the switch other than copy-copy? Why do you have to twist it my words to prove a point?

Anyway, you still have not not proved my position in this thread wrong. I want someone to prove to me that if Americans switch to diesel cars tomorrow, that Nigerians won't follow suit. If i can be proved wrong, then i will park and leave this thread for good.

Ikenna.

I didn't say Australians don't drive diesel cars.. neither did I say diesel cars are not available on Nigerian roads. The number of diesel cars are increasing in Australia over the years, in fact about 15% of Australian cars are diesel powered.. which means 85% are still powered by petrol. Also in Nigeria number of diesel cars are gradually increasing. Like I said, until diesel technology brings something extra ordinary to the game, the adoption is going to be slow, not only in NIgeria but in most countries. I decided to reply u because u talked as if its only Nigerians that don't drive diesel powered cars. Your points are valid though.. but most people in virtually all countries prefer petrol cars to diesel, not just Nigeria. If a new car maker comes out today and manufacture cars that are on the same par as Peugeot 406, same specs, same materials, same engine and price it same as Peugeot 406... will u buy it? Would u buy a product that is unproven? At least u wait a few years to see if it could be reliable before u venture into it. Why do Kia and Hyndai don't sell much even though they now make cars that are better than Toyota in terms of everything? It is because of past experience.. it will take time for people to embrace them. Toyota have decided to up their game because of the competition that Kia and Hyundai brings.

Now about ur 406 HDI, ask urself how many Peugeot 406 HDI were produced compared to the standard Petrol version. Its a simple logic od demand and supply.. when there is demand, manufacturers will produce more.. are u saying Peugeot made those HDI's strictly for the Nigerian market and that's why they didn't produce more of it.... because according to ur analysis, its only Nigerians that don't drive diesel cars.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 22, 2013
@ Elektra, are you saying diesel engines are unproven? Do you realise the diesel engine's not far behind the gasoline motor, in terms of adoption? But light years ahead, in terms of development?

Besides EFI and direct injection, how much has the gasoline engine evolved over the last 50 years? And how far has the diesel engine evolved in the last 15?

The diesel is a proven motor. If you're waiting for it to open your kitchen, boil a kettle of water to make you a cup of coacoa, before you feel the diesel engine has done something extraordinary, then you'll be waiting a long time. The fact is diesel engines have overtaken their gasoline counterparts in every sense, regardless of how you see things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Peugeot Nigeria Rolls Out "Peugeot 301" In Commercial Quantities / Vw Passat Or Audi A4 / Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 230
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.