Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! (3227 Views)

Purpose & Importance Of Wudu / Wudumate Prayer Room Fixtures. Designed 4 Comfortable & Dignified Wudu(ablution / Auto 'wudu' (ablution) Machine Hits Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2013
Al-Baqir:
@NL member,
Honestly I like your sense of understanding and argument. Normally all muslims put Qur'an first follow by hadith etc. Unfortunately in this discussion pertaining to ablution, despite the fact that Qur'an is crystal clear, some muslims still adhere to unambigous hadith.

I can never hide under lies hiding there's no difference of opinion between muslims. Had it been majority of muslim believe Qur'an is the guide for hadith and not that hadith is Tafsir (interpretation) of the Qur'an and believe hadith is just to add additional info, some wouldn't have derailed from Qur'anic injunctions.

In short it Qur'an first before hadith and never hadith first before Qur'an. Qur'an is enough to interpret itself while hadith gives extra info.

So what you are saying is that Muslims can perform the type of ablution that is described in the quran instead of the type in the hadith?

By the way are you a rashidite muslim?
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by mahdino: 7:35am On Sep 27, 2013
NL member:

Why do you copy the christians by calling muhammed the way the truth and the life?
Isn't it against islamic tenets to copy unbelievers?

Anyway muhammed never called himself those things so you are practising bidiah.

About ablution; you guys have chosen the hadith method of ablution over the quran method so you are indirectly putting muhammed's orders over allah's orders.

I am just trying to explain to u what it means in a way u know and would simply understand. The fact that a mad man keeps walking and laughing on the street saying that God is one, that does not means because a mad man says God is one u will say no. Every prophet of God is send to guide his people to eternal life. Whether he says it like his predecesor or in a different form.
Why do u call yourself an unbeliever? Well, u can call urself an unbeliever, but do u know that Jesus was a muslim, a muslim in arabic means someone who submits his will to God and we know Jesus said " I speak not my will but the will of who has sent me..., he kept beards just like the muslim, he was circumcised just like the muslims, he believes in one in one God just like a the muslims not three in one, he falls on his face and prays to God just like the muslims, he washes his head and feet just like the muslims, Jesus is a muslim

1 Like

Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 27, 2013
mahdino:

I am just trying to explain to u what it means in a way u know and would simply understand. The fact that a mad man keeps walking and laughing on the street saying that God is one, that does not means because a mad man says God is one u will say no. Every prophet of God is send to guide his people to eternal life. Whether he says it like his predecesor or in a different form.
Why do u call yourself an unbeliever? Well, u can call urself an unbeliever, but do u know that Jesus was a muslim, a muslim in arabic means someone who submits his will to God and we know Jesus said " I speak not my will but the will of who has sent me..., he kept beards just like the muslim, he was circumcised just like the muslims, he believes in one in one God just like a the muslims not three in one, he falls on his face and prays to God just like the muslims, he washes his head and feet just like the muslims, Jesus is a muslim

Jesus never said he was a muslim in the bible. If the criteria for being a muslim is simply keeping beards and washing feet then the shahadah will not be compulsory. There will be no need to declare that allah is the only god and muhammed is his messenger, that means jews and christians will also be muslims even if they don't believe in the prophethood of muhammed.
Jesus wasn't a muslim smiley
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by mahdino: 10:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
NL member:

Jesus never said he was a muslim in the bible. If the criteria for being a muslim is simply keeping beards and washing feet then the shahadah will not be compulsory. There will be no need to declare that allah is the only god and muhammed is his messenger, that means jews and christians will also be muslims even if they don't believe in the prophethood of muhammed.
Jesus wasn't a muslim smiley
Yes Jews and Christians can also be muslims if they believe in one God and the prophet of that time. U see in the book of John 17:3 Jesus said for u to get salvation or eternal life is just to believe in one God and Jesus the prophet of God, if u translate it in arabic it will be ashadu an lailaha illah wa ashadu an Isa rasulullah.

1 Like

Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 28, 2013
mahdino:
Yes Jews and Christians can also be muslims if they believe in one God and the prophet of that time. U see in the book of John 17:3 Jesus said for u to get salvation or eternal life is just to believe in one God and Jesus the prophet of God, if u translate it in arabic it will be ashadu an lailaha illah wa ashadu an Isa rasulullah.

This is false.

The Islamic definition of a Muslim is a person who believes in no god but allah and believes that muhammed is his messenger.
A person cannot be a jew and a muslim or a christian and a muslim at the same time.
Those who followed jesus are christians, those who followed moses are jews and those who followed muhammed are muslims.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by AlBaqir(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
@NL,
I didn't mean to be rude pls, but are u a muslim? Or just a muslim by name?
Because for asking: "So what you are saying is that Muslims can perform the type of ablution that is described in the quran instead of the type in the hadith?" Is indeed a great concern for me.

No offence brother! Be it known that Qur'an is the first Islamic source of knowledge and the ways of ablutions has been specified there both water and dried ablution. Obligatory part of water ablution were mentioned in the qur'an viz: face, hands, head and feet. While the likes of mouth nose are Sunnah of the holy prophet (saws); alas, ear is never part of ablution of Muhammad (saws). This was put by 3rd calipha, uthman ibn Affan. You have a choice weather to follow him or the holy prophet (saws)!

As per sand ablution in the Qur'an, only wiping of face and hands are specified. These are obligatory. No sunnah attached to this.

However, the contention here is: should the feet be wipe or wash! Qur'an says it should be wipe, some hadith and some sahabas support Qur'an; while some hadith and some sahabas said it should be washed.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by AlBaqir(m): 9:40am On Nov 25, 2014
According to Holy Prophet (s), not wiping head and feet during Wudhu would make the prayers void
Those who object Shias for being misguided in respect of wiping head and feet during Wudhu and call this practise baseless, we would like to ask them who better than Holy Prophet (s) would have told about the correct way to perform Wudhu? The books of Ahle Sunnah have hadeeths which proves that Holy Prophet (s) himself wiped his feets and also asked His Sahabah for the same.

In Sunan Abu-Dawud – Book of Prayer (Kitab Al-Salat) Book 3, Number 0857:
Narrated Rifa’ah ibn Rafi’:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: The prayer of any of you is not complete until he performs ablution perfectly, as Allah, the Exalted, has ordered you. One should wash his face and hands up to the elbows, and wipe his head and his feet up to the ankles. Then he should exalt Allah and praise Him. Then he should recite the Quran as much as it is convenient for him.’

But unsurprisingly in the official English version of this tradition, the Sunni translator has added the word ‘wash’ in brackets to ensure that the tradition fits in within mainstream Sunni belief. The text with the brackets reads very differently:
“He should wash his face and hands up to the elbows, and wipe his head and (wash) his feet up to the ankles.”

However the detailed version of this very episode from Sunan Darqatni which has been declared ‘Sahih’ by Shaykh Shuaib al-Arnaut in his margin of the book Sunnan Darqutni, Volume 1 page 186 (al-Risalah Publishers, Lebanon – first edition 2004):
Rifa’ah ibn Rafi’ said: Rifa’ah and Malik bin Rafi’ were brothers and belonged to people of Badr, while we were sitting with Allah’s messenger (pbuh), a man entered and faced the qiblah then started to pray. When he finished his prayer, he went to Allah’s messenger to salute him and salute the people. Allah’s messenger (pbuh) said to him: ‘Go back and pray because you didn’t pray’. Thus the man returned and prayed again while we were staring at him and were unable to recognize as to what was wrong with his prayer. When he finished the prayer, he came to Allah’s messenger (pbuh) to salute him and to salute the people. The prophet (pbuh) said to him: ‘Go back and pray because you didn’t pray’.

Humam said: ‘I don’t remember if he (prophet) repeated that twice or thrice.’ Then the man said: ‘I didn’t lose my determination but I cannot realize what thing did you dislike in my prayer?’ Allah’s messenger said: ‘The prayer of any of you is not complete until he performs ablution perfectly, as Allah, the Exalted, has ordered you. One should wash his face and hands up to the elbows, and wipe his head and his feet up to the ankles. Then he should exalt Allah and praise Him. Then he should recite the Qur’an as much as it is convenient for him.

Sunan Darqatni, Volume 1 page 366 Hadith 328

Testimony of Sahabah that Holy Prophet (s) used to wipe his feet
Sahabah also testified about the way of ablution Holy Prophet (s) practiced and it is clear from such statements that Holy Prophet (s) used to wipe his feets instead of washing them.

Abi Malik Al-Asha’ari:
In Musnad Ahmed bin Hanbal, Volume 5 Hadith 21825:
“Narrated Muhammad Ibn Jaffar from narrated Saeed from narrated Qutada from Shaher Ibn Hushab from Abdul rahman Ibn Ghanam from Abi Malik Al-Asha’ary who said to his people: “Gather to pray like the prayer of the Messenger of Allah (s)”. So when they gathered he asked for a bowl of water to preformed ablution (wudhu), he rinsed his mouth, inhaled water, washed his face thrice, washed his arm thrice, wiped his head and top of his feet, then he prayed…”

The testimony of Abi Malik Al-Asha’ary that he prayed like the Holy Prophet (s) and during Wudhu he wiped his feet rather than washing them is clear proof about the way of Wudhu Prophet (s) had.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by AlBaqir(m): 9:59am On Nov 25, 2014
Uthman bin Affan:
Imam Ahmed also records the following tradition in his Musnad, Volume 1 Hadith 391:
“Hamran says: Uthman asked for water and performed ablution, he rinsed, sniffed then washed his his face three times then washed his arms thrice then wiped his head and wiped top of his feet. Then he smiled and said, “Will you ask me why I smiled?” He was then asked, “Well, what made you smile?” He replied, “I saw the Prophet (a.s) ask for water near to that place then he perform ablution as I have just done; Then he smiled and said, “Will you ask me why I smiled?, then they replied Oh messenger of Allah what made you smile? He(s) replied: “Verily if the slave asked for ablution and washed his face, God will remove every sin his face get, if he washed his arm the same would be, if he wiped his head, same will be the result (in respect of head), if he wiped his top of feet same will be the result (in respect of feet)”
This hadith can also be read in Musnaf Abi Shaybah, Vol. 1 page 18.

Sahabah used to wipe their feet during Wudhu instead of washing
Its not only the Shia interpretation of the verse rather the books of Ahle Sunnah have hadiths which proves that Sahabah also wiped their feets rather than washing like Ahle Sunnah.

Ali’s (as) method of performing ablution
In Sahih Bukhari [English translation] Volume 7, Book 69, Number 520 Chapter ‘Rubbing hands and feet with dust:

Narrated An-Nazzal bin Sabra:
‘Ali offered the Zuhr prayer and then sat down in the wide courtyard (of the Mosque) of Kufa in order to deal with the affairs of the people till the ‘Asr prayer became due. Then water was brought to him and he drank some of it, washed his face, hands, the narrator has also mentioned the head and feet…”

Here we see yet another attempt of hiding the truth as the (first) narrator (namely Adam) hesitated using the word ‘wipe’ but Imam Ibn Hajar Asqalani in his commentary of this tradition had to confess:
"We conclude that in the genuine version it is “wiped his head and feet” and Adam stopped narrating the tradition in this manner, therefore he just said “the narrator has also mentioned the head and feet”.

Ibn Abbas and Anas bin Malik would perform Wudhu by wiping their feet
In Sunan Ibn Majah page 39, Kitab al Wudhu and in Tafseer ibn Katheer page 25, Chapter of Wudhu:

Ibn Abbas said: ‘For Wudhu, two parts should be washed and two parts should be wiped’. Anas bin Malik said: ‘The Quran gave an order to wipe the feet’.

We read in Umdahtul Qari Sharh Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1 page 957, Kitab al Wudhu:
“Ibn Abbas said For Wudhu two parts should be washed and two parts should be wiped. Allah (swt) gave the order to wipe and people in opposition to Allah (swt) began to wash”.

Same reference can be read in Musnaf Abi Sheybah Vol 1 as well:
“Rabyya narrated: Ibn Abbas came to me and asked me about that hadith which I narrate that I saw the holy prophet wash his feet, so Ibn Abbas said: “The people insist to wash and I didn’t find in the book of Allah except wiping”

The Ahl’ul Sunnah Ulema have ruled that on a matter of dispute accept the ruling of Ibn Abbas. Al Hafidh Jalaludeen Suyuti writes in Tafseer Itqan Volume 2 page 217:
“If dispute arises amongst the Sahaba, the better approach is to take the view of Ibn Abbas, since the Prophet supplicated for him ‘O Allah bless him with knowledge’.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by AlBaqir(m): 2:37pm On Nov 28, 2014
An Interesting Incidents:
Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 3, Number 57
Narrated ‘Abdullah bin ‘Amr:
“Once the Prophet remained behind us in a journey. He joined us while we were performing ablution for the prayer which was over-due. We were just passing wet hands over our feet (and not washing them properly) so the Prophet addressed us in a loud voice and said twice or thrice: “Save your heels from the fire.”

NB: The word in the bracket is never in the Arabic text. It is added by the translator deceitfully only to support Sunni ideology.

This Hadeeth needs further analysis. If we look at the words by Abdullah bin Amr, he said that they were performing ablution and were wiping their feet. Just like the above translation, another translator the learned Maulana Abdul Hakeem Akhtar Shahjehanpoori in a strange manner has added to it in the brackets (“we were in haste” “and not washing properly”) that they were doing that being in a hurry.

Whatever the haste, had the order been to wash the feet, what is the likelihood of the Sahaba doing something different in the presence of the Prophet (s)? The tradition says that the prayer had not even started yet, whereas one can even join the congregational prayer in the last Rakah. Let us assume that Abdullah indeed wiped his feet rather than wash them and the Holy Prophet (s) was watching him, the Prophet (s) was the founder of the Shariah, he would have definitely asked Abdullah why he was wiping his feet rather than washing them.

If one concentrates on the words of the tradition it supports the Shi’a belief which says that the feet should be wiped in ablution and if the feet are dirty, first they should be washed, dried, and then ablution be performed. The words of the tradition say that the Holy Prophet (s) just pointed out to the heels of Abdullah and the only possible reason for it can be that his heels may have been dirty while he was unaware of this and the Prophet (s) brought this to his attention. Had the order been of washing the feet, the Holy Prophet (s) would have immediately asked him not to wipe his feet and wash them instead, not cautioning him for wiping the feet indicates that the feet are supposed to be wiped while performing ablution.

Salat is an act that is performed five times a day. The Prophet [saww] would have taught the Sahaba the correct method of ablution on countless occasions. The Sahaba were not immature or stupid minded enough to suggest that after years of being Muslim, they still had no grasp over the correct method of ablution. The tradition proves that the Sahaba wiped their feet before the Prophet (s) and he raised no objection to this act.
~www.shiapen.com

NB: There are many traditions (ahadith) also in the Books of hadith of the Sunni (A’hlu Sunna) which related that the holy prophet washed his legs. Our reply to this is that, while it is not possible for reported hadith (even if they are authentic according to the Sunni rating) to overrule the holy Quran, it is possible the holy prophet did this (washing) after wiping to cool off his feet. On the other hands, a learned Shi’a Ulama reasoned that since the verse of Ablution (in Sura Maida) was revealed towards the end of the life of the prophet whilst he was in Madina and Salat has always been performed since the early prophetic mission in Mecca, it is possible that the practice of ablution was initially “washing of the feet” as the feet of the inhabitants of the desert is expected to be dirty. And after they might have learnt the acts of cleanliness, then the “verse of wiping” was later revealed.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! by mohammad11: 7:28am On Dec 02, 2014
I‘ve benefitted Islamically with the enlightmenent posts that comes before. May Allah increase you‘ll in knowlegde and understanding.

Aameen

(1) (2) (Reply)

Divorce And The Northerners:what Is Missing ? / Why Do Muslims Pray 5 Times A Day? / Hijrah 1440AH: Ruling On Offering Congratulations At The Beginning Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.