Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,359 members, 7,780,981 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:50 AM

Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) (10257 Views)

DOWNLOAD SERMON : THE POWER OF PRIORITY - BY DR. D. K. OLUKOYA / SERMON : The Portrait Of The Enemy - Bro. Gbile Akanni / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 11:48am On Sep 28, 2013
While it is not wrong to preach atheism or theism, you would be hard pressed to define what exactly you are doing to an average die hard theist who assumes that every discussion about religious beliefs is about conversion and saving of soul etc etc.
I would advise the promotion of reason, logic and scepticism. . . Let people come to their own personal conclusions.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: While it is not wrong to preach atheism or theism, you would be hard pressed to define what exactly you are doing to an average die hard theist who assumes that every discussion about religious beliefs is about conversion and saving of soul etc etc.
I would advise the promotion of reason, logic and scepticism. . . Let people come to their own personal conclusions.

True talk. However, are you saying that the actions of the American Atheists organisation are wrong? The American Atheists have signboards and rallies promoting atheism
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 11:58am On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

True talk. However, are you saying that the actions of the American Atheists organisation are wrong? The American Atheists have signboards and rallies promoting atheism
No. Like i said, preaching theism or atheism is not wrong. I was talking about it in the Nigerian context. We need to have a healthy dose of rationality before any discussion of atheism will make sense. . .
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: No. Like i said, preaching theism or atheism is not wrong. I was talking about it in the Nigerian context. We need to have a healthy dose of rationality before any discussion of atheism will make sense. . .

Sounds like cowardice.......trololo

On a serious note, I agree with you. I can imagine just walking up to a Nigerian christian and saying "THERE IS NO GOD! USE LOGIC IN YOUR LIFE TO SEE THAT BELIEF IN GOD IS ILLOGICAL"....lol......minus one converts smiley
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by ninja4life(m): 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2013
Following thread good work by logicboy will read more on unitarianism.well about preaching atheism i will leave that to atheist who are well grounded and are knowledgeable definitely not me na fasting and prayer my mum will put me in if she discovers dat d recent change in my character to religion is cos of my disbelief in her god.lol and it will be nice to have atheist programme on t.v atleast we will hav something new to learn unlike those boring preachings on our local station in nigeria however i donot agree with house to house preaching like our christian brothers do.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2013
ninja4life: Following thread good work by logicboy will read more on unitarianism.well about preaching atheism i will leave that to atheist who are well grounded and are knowledgeable definitely not me na fasting and prayer my mum will put me in if she discovers dat d recent change in my character to religion is cos of my disbelief in her god.lol and it will be nice to have atheist programme on t.v atleast we will hav something new to learn unlike those boring preachings on our local station in nigeria however i donot agree with house to house preaching like our christian brothers do.

Hahaha, nice one!

House to house preaching is annoying! Gaddem! You are enjoying some early morning sleep on sunday morning, the one religious douchebag comes to knock on your front door- "DO YOU HAVE A MOMENT TO SPARE FOR THE WORD OF GOD"? angry angry angry angry
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 12:43pm On Sep 28, 2013
Some sceptical television programmes will be interesting to see. Programmes that promote scientific reason and logic. Just don't call it atheistic programmes else no station will agree to air it. Lol
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: No. Like i said, preaching theism or atheism is not wrong. I was talking about it in the Nigerian context. We need to have a healthy dose of rationality before any discussion of atheism will make sense. . .

the knight hate this.

He want to be like others but never want to be himself.

Just pay your tithe and walk out
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 28, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

the knight hate this.

He want to be like others but never want to be himself.

Just pay your tithe and walk out

Pls, your azz is stinking of butthurt....move along
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: Some sceptical television programmes will be interesting to see. Programmes that promote scientific reason and logic. Just don't call it atheistic programmes else no station will agree to air it. Lol

True...there is an indian channelbon DSTV...they were having a debate on miracles. Scientists on one side, spiritualist on the other side. Packed show and interesting
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by UyiIredia(m): 2:55pm On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

True...there is an indian channelbon DSTV...they were having a debate on miracles. Scientists on one side, spiritualist on the other side. Packed show and interesting

Name of the program and time.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Name of the program and time.

Sorry.

Cant remember....just flick to it and didnt even finish cos i hard to go to work
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Pls, your azz is stinking of butthurt....move along

lol....

Butthurt by folks that cant define their stances...

In lil-wayne voice......we are not the same, ima alien
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 3:32pm On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Sorry.

Cant remember....just flick to it and didnt even finish cos i hard to go to work
angry angry
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by jayriginal: 5:37pm On Sep 28, 2013
Exactly what is there to "preach" about atheism?

In my considered opinion, absolutely nothing!

Do you tell someone not to believe in God? Why? And what are you to replace that belief with? The minute you tell someone to discard their belief and accept your own personal convictions, you are indoctrinating the person. Thats just as bad as what you stand against.

There is nothing to atheism apart from not believing in God. Each atheist has a different mindset so what exactly will be "preached"?

Now if you are advocating humanism as an alternative to atheism, that is different. Its definitely not preaching atheism even though many will deliberately try to blur the lines so that they can argue about it.

Advocating for humanism can be very interesting but atheism; that would be boring.

Apart from humanism, advocating for awareness amongst people which aims to open their eyes to the wonders and workings of the natural world will also be interesting. An example could be sponsored scientific programmes aimed at the general public. Topics from cosmology to quantum physics and evolution etc will be discussed.

These are meant to get people to think for themselves and consider other options.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 28, 2013
jayriginal: Exactly what is there to "preach" about atheism?

Do you tell someone not to believe in God? Why? And what are you to replace that belief with? The minute you tell someone to discard their belief and accept your own personal convictions, you are indoctrinating the person. Thats just as bad as what you stand against.

There is nothing to atheism apart from not believing in God. Each atheist has a different mindset so what exactly will be "preached"?

Now if you are advocating humanism as an alternative to atheism, that is different. Its definitely not preaching atheism even though many will deliberately try to blur the lines so that they can argue about it.

Advocating for humanism can be very interesting but atheism; that would be boring.

Apart from humanism, advocating for awareness amongst people which aims to open their eyes to the wonders and workings of the natural world will also be interesting. An example could be sponsored scientific programmes aimed at the general public. Topics from cosmology to quantum physics and evolution etc will be discussed.

These are meant to get people to think for themselves and consider other options.

Bros calm down naa....

We are all on the same page. So far, everyone here has stated the problem with preaching atheism- that is if it is even possible.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 28, 2013
jayriginal: Exactly what is there to "preach" about atheism?

On second look, it seems you didnt read the op

However, what do you think about a bus campaign or add that reads “why do you believe in God? What if God is not real?”
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by jayriginal: 7:49pm On Sep 28, 2013
^^^

Actually, Im just reacting to the question "is it really bad to preach atheism". Just stating my opinion that atheism cant be "preached".

A bus campaign like that isnt bad. Might get people thinking. Something like "What makes you trust your religion over the others" could also get people thinking too.''

Subtlety is the key. You dont want to be too direct, you just want to stimulate at first. #myopinion
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 28, 2013
jayriginal: ^^^

Actually, Im just reacting to the question "is it really bad to preach atheism". Just stating my opinion that atheism cant be "preached".

Agreed......read the op

https://www.nairaland.com/1448901/atheist-hangout-update-it-really/1#18420302
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 28, 2013
jayriginal: ^^^

A bus campaign like that isnt bad. Might get people thinking. Something like "What makes you trust your religion over the others" could also get people thinking too.''

Subtlety is the key. You dont want to be too direct, you just want to stimulate at first. #myopinion

No wahala
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by jayriginal: 8:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
I did read the OP earlier but since you want my take, here it is,
Logicboy03: [size=18pt]Is it really wrong to preach atheism?[/size]

Going back to the title, the question to answer here is- is it wrong for atheists to go around in public, pushing information about atheism from signboards to door to door visits? Is it wrong to have signboards saying "there is no God"? Is it wrong to have atheist debates in speakers' corners in public parks? Is it wrong to have atheist television shows weekly? Is it wrong to promote atheism on religion forums on the internet?

Going round in public and pushing information from door to door is intrusive. I personally would not like anyone to walk up to me unsolicited and start preaching at me or trying to sell me anything, be it material or an ideology.

Signboards are ok but I would rather have the message subtle. I say they are ok not because I would be willing to sponsor, one but because they are not as intrusive. Still people deserve respect and these signboards and ads may offend them. Thats aeisnother reason to keep it subtle. Plus the signboard will probably get vandalized anyway.

Having atheist debates and atheist television shows brings one to the question, what is atheism. Atheism is just a lack of belief. If I am debating evolution vs non evolution, that doesnt make it an atheistic debate. Likewise if one is discussing the finer points of string theory, that doesnt also make it an atheist debate. It starts and ends with not believing in a deity. Nothing more. An atheist may hold other views in addition but thats not part of atheism. You very well know for instance that quite a number of theists accept the theory of evolution.

Many atheists have backpedaled away from promoting atheism due to the criticism of "atheist evangelism" from religious apologists. Some atheists raise their hands up in defence and claim "[b]I am not preaching, atheism....I am promoting science/humanism/skepticism"
! What is wrong with promoting atheism, I ask? [/b]

I can understand the fear of talking about atheism in some instances, due to the possible backlash from religious bigots. I can understand that not everyone likes to talk about their disbelief or beliefs.

The bolded is what I would like to address. I missed it the first time I read the OP.

With humanism, you can basically say its better to be good for goodness sake than for fear of the unknown. Humanism I guess, could serve as a sort of replacement for religion. Skepticism? Well, thats what I was aiming at with stimulating rather than direct messages. Theres nothing wrong in letting people find their own path.

Whilst many would probably like to be spoonfed, I think that it is best for each person to make his/her own realisation. Its pretty hard to reach someone if you are all up in their face and confrontational about it.

However, I dont see why some atheists would claim that promoting atheism is almost as silly as evangelizing in the name of religion. Some people just want to let the world know that it is alright and rational to disbelief in the existence of a spiritual entity that you cant prove..........

I have no problem with the bolded above. In fact, I insist on it.

In my experience, it works like this. I dont push my atheism in peoples faces neither do I hide it. But people are so religious that it is bound to come up. It can come up in several ways sometimes unexpectedly.

When they get to know where I stand, they initially think I am joking and then their amazement turns to disbelief. Sometimes revulsion. Sometimes anger. One man even asked me what secret society I was in. Another said even if its Allah, I should believe *facepalm*.

The bottom line is that lots of people cannot imagine someone who does not believe in a spiritual power of some sorts.

Well, some of them get curious and ask questions. Some remain closed minded while some agree that I make sense but they still play the safe side of Paschals wager. In all this my goal is never to get them to be like me, rather it is to make them understand why I am the way I am.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 28, 2013
jayriginal: I did read the OP earlier but since you want my take, here it is,

Going round in public and pushing information from door to door is intrusive. I personally would not like anyone to walk up to me unsolicited and start preaching at me or trying to sell me anything, be it material or an ideology.

Signboards are ok but I would rather have the message subtle. I say they are ok not because I would be willing to sponsor, one but because they are not as intrusive. Still people deserve respect and these signboards and ads may offend them. Thats aeisnother reason to keep it subtle. Plus the signboard will probably get vandalized anyway.

Having atheist debates and atheist television shows brings one to the question, what is atheism. Atheism is just a lack of belief. If I am debating evolution vs non evolution, that doesnt make it an atheistic debate. Likewise if one is discussing the finer points of string theory, that doesnt also make it an atheist debate. It starts and ends with not believing in a deity. Nothing more. An atheist may hold other views in addition but thats not part of atheism. You very well know for instance that quite a number of theists accept the theory of evolution.

The bolded is what I would like to address. I missed it the first time I read the OP.

With humanism, you can basically say its better to be good for goodness sake than for fear of the unknown. Humanism I guess, could serve as a sort of replacement for religion. Skepticism? Well, thats what I was aiming at with stimulating rather than direct messages. Theres nothing wrong in letting people find their own path.

Whilst many would probably like to be spoonfed, I think that it is best for each person to make his/her own realisation. Its pretty hard to reach someone if you are all up in their face and confrontational about it.

In my experience, it works like this. I dont push my atheism in peoples faces neither do I hide it. But people are so religious that it is bound to come up. It can come up in several ways sometimes unexpectedly.

When they get to know where I stand, they initially think I am joking and then their amazement turns to disbelief. Sometimes revulsion. Sometimes anger. One man even asked me what secret society I was in. Another said even if its Allah, I should believe *facepalm*.

The bottom line is that lots of people cannot imagine someone who does not believe in a spiritual power of some sorts.

Well, some of them get curious and ask questions. Some remain closed minded while some agree that I make sense but they still play the safe side of Paschals wager. In all this my goal is never to get them to be like me, rather it is to make them understand why I am the way I am.

I understand.

However.....you misunderstand the atheist debate. It is not about evolution. Example....“.atheism or islam, which is more rational?” as a debate topic. It has been done before
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
NICE THREAD
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 28, 2013
jayriginal: I did read the OP earlier but since you want my take, here it is,

I understand.

However.....you misunderstand the atheist debate. It is not about evolution. Example....“.atheism or islam, which is more rational?” as a debate topic. It has been done before
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 28, 2013
Beretta92: NICE THREAD

Cheers
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by jayriginal: 9:13pm On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:
I understand.

Ok. I needed clarification on that.

Although you give atheism vs islam as an example, I think that ultimately, it really boils down to skepticism? Like is it better to believe in something abstract and unprovable or to suspend belief? To me the difference is that you have given labels; atheism and islam.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 9:44pm On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

I understand.

In Nigeria? First you have to be sure they know what rational means! LB are you in Nigeria at all?undecided
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: In Nigeria? First you have to be sure they know what rational means! LB are you in Nigeria at all?undecided

It was done in uk....i dey naija
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 10:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

It was done in uk....i dey naija
ok. I hope you're not thinking along those lines here in Nigeria? Them go lynch you tongue

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 3:25am On Sep 29, 2013
Mr Troll: ok. I hope you're not thinking along those lines here in Nigeria? Them go lynch you tongue

Noo...not at all
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 29, 2013
[size=18pt]Sermon Topic; Atheist spirituality[/size]

Welcome, brothers and sisters to another atheist sermon. Let's start with a prayer;

Prayer to Humanity-
I wish for a better world
where we are less divided
and more united
more knowledge and less faith
more practical solutions and less prayer
a world where science is learnt
and not hated or feared

Many atheists are afraid to use the word "spirituality" because of the religious definition of the word which connotes the supernatural. This is not always so. Spirituality can also be used to describe an abstract feeling that we cant totally describe with words. An example would be the soundtrack of a horror film giving you the chills. Does horror have a sound? Does evil have a special note on the keyboard? No. We react to music in some ways that are just beyond words. Bob Marley songs puts many of us in a relaxed mood. Can science explain that? Can words explain the sweet melody of your favourite music followed by the taste of your favourite beverage (alcohol or non-alcoholic)?

Spirituality could also be that feeling between two people sharing a similar emotion. Does a parent think before hugging a sad child? It comes intuitively. Can you explain the need to hug someone rationally? Does a hug stop someone from having cancer does it solve problems? But we are comforted and made happy when people around us give us that warm embrace, arent we?

Some atheists might not call what I have explained spirituality but it doesnt matter. Call it spirituality, intuition or whatever...the point is that we should always try to discover what moves us. I personally feel that there is a spiritual need for me to share my beliefs and disbelief to others. I am still trying to define and refine my motives- this is the point; find your spirituality yourself; never stop searching and finding out our motives and key intuitions.

Peace be with you, the sermon is ended

*passes out atheist tithe bag*
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:19am On Sep 29, 2013
Logicboy.....come over here Ogbanje.

How do you know my mind?

Was thinking about opening a thread for this tomorrow....still gathering some stuff from yoruba spirituality and views from spiritual atheist friends. And you are here dabaruing my mind.

Cheers for this.....we are spiritual

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? / The Real Name Of GOD. Bantus Of Africa Are The Israelites. / Is It A Sin For Someone To Go To His Or Her Place Of Work On Sundays?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.