Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:01 AM

Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? (46818 Views)

A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / My Bachelor Hood Experience With Gas Cooker (pictures) / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Cooking With Garlic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by bigpastor(m): 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2013
If na election poll be this Kerosene don lose by landslide ooooo.
me too go "port" to Gas Sharp sharp
I hope The OP no want run Kerosene dealers down ooo
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 03, 2013
Policewoman: 5kg for the whole semester shocked na only okpa you dey use am warm every week?

Okpa?? ;Dtalk ttrue! U na lioness grin
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by marykias: 1:15pm On Oct 03, 2013
is cheaper n less pollutant
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by SWG1: 1:22pm On Oct 03, 2013
9icegee: stop deceiving people!!
he is not, some type of stove with special wick is cheaper than gas. i ve used both and compared even some stoves to other stoves
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by SWG1: 1:36pm On Oct 03, 2013
verdict. buy quality gas cylinder and cooker. then get the cheap rounded economical stove as back up (incase ur gas finish sun afternoon while parboiling rice) and for comparison. ul ve to do the comparison urself relative to how much u buy kero and gas including distance to refil point. Then make u decision on the one to use often.

1 Like

Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by ilhama(f): 1:57pm On Oct 03, 2013
My dear, go for gas its cheaper.
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Sheenor: 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2013
Gas sure pass....
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 03, 2013
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Mattin(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
Do you cook once a week?
Loooooooooolz.......so funny!
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2013
nikky truth: Gas is cheaper . I use my 5kg for the whole semester . But Gas is more dangerous. Pls if you are the carefree type, pls use kerosene. If u must use gas , u have to be extra careful.
thats where u hold GEJ responsible to provide u a very safe non explosive cylinders. These kind of cylinders are in use in various countries of D world. Nigerians dont need to lack anything about fuel, wether 4 domestic or whtever use. We flare this gas daily which we D whole population of nigeria cant consume in domestic use. We dont even need to be talking of cost, this shows our stage of development no matter how we hype it. D flaring, apart from wastage so far, it is D reason or contributing to D excessive rain(climate warming) in D country.
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by omar0001: 3:25pm On Oct 03, 2013
Cooking gas is #146/litre (#3200 per 12.5kg). It is cleaner and more efficient anyday - supermgas@yahoo.com
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Tinyemeka(m): 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2013
Policewoman: 5kg for the whole semester shocked na only okpa you dey use am warm every week?
cheesy Bia nwanyi a.
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by temnob25: 9:51pm On Oct 03, 2013
Gas is better. Cos it's economical, cleaner, but could be dangerous if not careful!
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by biyoyo2003(m): 10:23pm On Oct 03, 2013
abatajjvii: Love fire wood for her triple action it performs for me
1 i use the wood for fire and very hot
2 from the fire i make coals again
3 from the burnt coals i make my ashes that i use in washing the back of the pot and other things

Pls Nigerian kindly change ur ways of causing more havoc to ur health generally. Although what u said u gain according to ur local way of cooking is wright. But do u realise that we have more dan 4.8 million death annually? Let me break it down for u:
1. 1 million people die of hiv/aids
2. 1 million people die of Malaria
3. 2.8 million people dies through pollution of local way of cooking.e.g kerosene and firewood burning. The wood u're using to make that fire, what kind of air do u breath through it?
1. Its causes more damage to ur lungs. its more or less as if u're smoking.
Lets patronize The LPGas Industry to improve out standards.
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Polchiz(m): 10:37pm On Oct 03, 2013
Well, I do fill up my gas cylinder for N1,500 in Oyo state here and it lasts for at least 3months.
I cook almost everyday.
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 03, 2013
There is a new cooker in the market now that uses kerosene but burns like gas. As an experiment i bought one and tested it. 5liters of kerosene fills it up and it lasts for 1 month and 5 litres of kerosene is about 800 naira. The reason why it lasts me for 1 month is because my wife cooks a lot as she likes her meals freshly cooked and not iced up. To me using this new kerosene gas cooker, kerosene wins for me hands down. This is the pressure stove

1 Like

Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Godyke(m): 12:13am On Oct 04, 2013
naijadeyhia: There is a new cooker in the market now that uses kerosene but burns like gas. As an experiment i bought one and tested it. 5liters of kerosene fills it up and it lasts for 1 month and 5 litres of kerosene is about 800 naira. The reason why it lasts me for 1 month is because my wife cooks a lot as she likes her meals freshly cooked and not iced up. To me using this new kerosene gas cooker, kerosene wins for me hands down. This is the pressure stove

Plus on top the fact that this cooker cooks two times faster than gas. Smokeless, and can use alcohol i.e spirit to light and preheat the burners before pressurizing. Also it is the safest among all of them.
Other benefits is that you don't need to buy a separate cylinder for its fuel storage. It has an integrated tank system. You can also determine the pressure of free air You can pump into the tank. Price ranges from 3k for the single burner and 7k for the double burners. Even with half liter of kerosene, you are good to go knowing fully well that kerosene is always readily available while LPG gas is not always available. And remember pocket may not always be full to refill that 12.5kg of gas cylinder of yours. So what are we talking about
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by dguyindcorner(m): 2:33am On Oct 04, 2013
Godyke:

Plus on top the fact that this cooker cooks two times faster than gas. Smokeless, and can use alcohol i.e spirit to light and preheat the burners before pressurizing. Also it is the safest among all of them.
Other benefits is that you don't need to buy a separate cylinder for its fuel storage. It has an integrated tank system. You can also determine the pressure of free air You can pump into the tank. Price ranges from 3k for the single burner and 7k for the double burners. Even with half liter of kerosene, you are good to go knowing fully well that kerosene is always readily available while LPG gas is not always available. And remember pocket may not always be full to refill that 12.5kg of gas cylinder of yours. So what are we talking about

nice one! but no be only 12.5kg cylinder dey,there's 3kg,6kg,5kg and so on even without using cooker meaning you only need to buy the cylinder.Thanks for the post anyways
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by 9icegee: 11:53am On Oct 04, 2013
Amandaaa P: COOK WITH BIOFUEL smokeless fume less stoves or become a distributor.

http://naijabizmall.
hmmm finally some1 is echoing my mind here at last! I said it earlier, how come no one has heard about cARBON CREDITS NETWORK (CCN) I dont know much about it either. I even started a thread about it (u can do a search on 'carbon credits network' here on nairaland and check tht thread out...i use biofuel too. But dont mention economical lol cos its not cheap tho its pure and clean energy (i even cook right der in my dinning! Yes! Its tht clean and safe...can some1 who knows better pls educate me more on how this CCN thing works? Cos a friend got me registered but i know absolutly nothing about it. Just love their products, de biofuel stoves and solar lanterns (tho am yet to get mine, de solar lanterns i mean. I have de stoves)
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by 9icegee: 12:00pm On Oct 04, 2013
SWG 1:
he is not, some type of stove with special wick is cheaper than gas. i ve used both and compared even some stoves to other stoves
i was refering to him saying 12.5kg cooks 4 just a week in 11 ppl's household. Even if he runs a restaurant thts a lie! Well of cos unless he's using a gas burner tht leakes off de whole thing. But even with tht, it still wont be considered accurate (i hope am replying de right quote cos i said 'stop deceiving ppl' twice. Since u'v not quoted d exact one u're refering to here i av to assume which of dem)
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by 9icegee: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
omar0001: Cooking gas is #146/litre (#3200 per 12.5kg). It is cleaner and more efficient anyday - supermgas@yahoo.com
(de way some ppl just converts kgs to litres leaves me wondering wotever happened to our maths and physics in schools!! Or is it ART students who r doing these EXCHANGES How can some1 try to rhyme gas contents, on an enclosed cylinder, under high pressure, with kerosine, under probably atmospheric (normal) pressure inside a stove, and den try to equal dem and draw conclusions on amount of purchase etc It baffles me! Pls enough of these conversions!! It just doesnt WORK THT WAY!
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by 9icegee: 12:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
omar0001: Cooking gas is #146/litre (#3200 per 12.5kg). It is cleaner and more efficient anyday - supermgas@yahoo.com
(de way some ppl just converts kgs to litres leaves me wondering wotever happened to our maths and physics in schools!! Or is it ART students who r doing these EXCHANGES Cos i can never believ a science student wil share in this conversions! How can some1 try to rhyme gas contents, on an enclosed cylinder, under high pressure, with kerosine, under probably atmospheric (normal) pressure inside a stove, and den try to equal dem and draw conclusions on amount of purchase etc It baffles me! Pls enough of these conversions!! It just doesnt WORK THT WAY!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by 9icegee: 12:24pm On Oct 04, 2013
temnob25: Gas is better. Cos it's economical, cleaner, but could be dangerous if not careful!
there is absolutly no danger at all in using gas! Unless u're using old and leaking cylinders or cookers. Buy ur gas cooker. Get good regulators. Fix dem properly. Keep ur cylinder outside. Connect de hose inside. Simple. Where's de danger there? Kerosine stoves r rather filled wit so much danger u'l lose sleep just mentioning dem. Do u wanna talk about de poisonous soots it produces? Or de danger of kerosine explosion wen trying to 'blow it off'? De negative hygiene environment it'l surely turn ur kitchen into? I can go on and on (i dont wanna mention de time u'l have to wait 4de stove to warm up befor it now heats up wotever u put on it, by den, wotever was on a gas must'v been ready to be eaten, tho they were placed on de 'fire' at de same time. Try making water for garri on stove and gas. By de time ur water on stove boils, i must'v finished eating my garri meal i made on gas, probably done de dishes too)

1 Like

Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by SWG1: 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
9icegee: (de way some ppl just converts kgs to litres leaves me wondering wotever happened to our maths and physics in schools!! Or is it ART students who r doing these EXCHANGES Cos i can never believ a science student wil share in this conversions! How can some1 try to rhyme gas contents, on an enclosed cylinder, under high pressure, with kerosine, under probably atmospheric (normal) pressure inside a stove, and den try to equal dem and draw conclusions on amount of purchase etc It baffles me! Pls enough of these conversions!! It just doesnt WORK THT WAY!
l think the comparison is based on equal amt of purchase with how long each last at same usage. I guess !
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by laudate: 2:04am On Aug 03, 2014
mjizzie: grin dts true, it will not remain dsame. I use both,kerosene is cheaper, u can buy 5-10 litres of kerosene btw N750-N1500 and use for 2months, but use N1500 filled gas hardly u will use it close to a month. People just dey form here joor...if u are a student , It's wen u av a lot of money wit u, dt is wen u fill ur gas cooker, just to form dt I use gas cooker.

This sounds strange. How much cooking are you doing, that will make 5-10 litres of kerosene last for 2 months? I don't get it oh! shocked
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by laudate: 2:16am On Aug 03, 2014
SWG1:

Hello, those types only work for a short while. Within 3 months they start to accumulate soot, grime and all kinds of black dirt which turn the pots black. After a while, they lose their "quick burn" attributes which made them so economical, in the 1st place. undecided

This does not happen with cooking gas, which still continues to burn with a clean flame once the burner is used properly.

You don't have to buy the 12.5 kg cylinder of gas. There are smaller models like the 3 kg and the 6kg cylinder, which work just as well. Also, be careful about where you refill your gas cylinders. The roadside merchants have a way of short-changing customers by not filling the cylinders up to the required mark.

Always make sure you buy a gas connector or valve which has a gauge and can show you the level of gas contained in your cylinder.
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by Nurseonduty(f): 3:13pm On Feb 02, 2022
Policewoman:
5kg for the whole semester shocked na only okpa you dey use am warm every week?
Lol
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by excanny: 11:51am On Nov 20, 2023
So what's the update on this age-old battle now, 10 years after?

Is gas still cheaper? I use 10kg per month and it costs 10k naira.

Thinking of giving kerosene another look?
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by LotaTee: 3:43pm On Nov 20, 2023
Policewoman:
Gas of course. undecided
I use my 12.5kg which costs about 3500 for a month plus. A 25litre kerosene costs higher (cos u will hardly get at official price) and you will use it up in less than a month under the same conditions. Not to talk of the fact that it burns faster and also makes the kitchen smell awful, with black smoke everywhere. Ewwwww......
12.5kg gas was #3500 then. Miscreants have destroyed this country.
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by excanny: 3:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
LotaTee:
12.5kg gas was #3500 then. Miscreants have destroyed this country.

Tinubu go make am go back to 3500. grin
Re: Cooking With Gas Or Kerosene, Which Is Cheaper (economical)? by LotaTee: 4:38pm On Nov 20, 2023
excanny:

Tinubu go make am go back to 3500. grin
Let me join you to laugh. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo Of Nigerian Jollof As Depicted By A Ghanaian / See The Onions I Bought For 1000 Naira At Mile 12, Ketu, Lagos. / Inside Insane Diets Of Sport's Stars - From Junk Food, To Drinking Urine (Pics)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.