Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? (14767 Views)

How Can I Invest A N100,000 And Make Profit Without Working / Advice On Opening Of Laundry Services / Effect Of Erratic Power Supply In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by oniwo(m): 10:31pm On Sep 26, 2013
everyday: I have always been interested in the laundry business but the erratic power supply we have in this country is discouraging
With #300k everything will set
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by oniwo(m): 10:44pm On Sep 26, 2013
Cost of setting up a dry cleaning centre
One 12kg Washing machine #55k tok
One drying machine #50k tok
One Big 7500 generator #95k new
Two Tables for iron and washing #20k
One big industrial fan #12k new
Buckets, Gallons, Big Bows, Brush & others #10
Rent 50K for small shop in a street.
Other expenses 20k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by laluski(m): 11:07pm On Sep 26, 2013
sakaguchi: Boring thread***yAwNs*** who even brought this to front page uh?

I totally agree with you that its boring since ur dad is a truck driver at PSP and u d conductor.....see ur life...fool
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 26, 2013
oniwo:
Used drying machine
Drying machine damages some clothes. Do u use it?
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
oniwo: Cost of setting up a dry cleaning centre
Other expenses 20k
Pls what type of Washing machine is the 55k and the iron?
Would like to go into the business too
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 26, 2013
oniwo: I have a dry cleaning centre here in Asaba. The profit is still there unlike when there is stable light. For example for 25 shirts & 25 trousers. Cost of services.
One Big Cameroon soap #120
One heavy spray starch #350
5 litres of Fuel #500
5 Big gallon of water #25
Polythene bag and Nylon #300
Total cost #1295.
Revenue #300 * 25 = #7500
Profit #6200 for 25 up & down

What type of starch do you use sir?
That means u charge 150 per shirt/trouser
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 26, 2013
Isn't constant water supply among the cost?
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by mkoabiola: 11:36pm On Sep 26, 2013
I xpected ppu with xperience to share dier views.
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by chukxie(m): 1:05am On Sep 27, 2013
Nice thread OP. God bless you. I've been thinking of investing in dry cleaning services business for a while now. But my biggest concern is the erratic power supply plaguing us in Nigeria. Dry cleaning services is a lucrative business with good ROI (return-on- investment) especially if one has a good portfolio of clients. My plan is to import industrial washing machines, dryers and steam pressing irons or have them fabricated locally. The fear of NEPA has stalled my plans for now. cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by oniwo(m): 2:44am On Sep 27, 2013
Promhize:

What type of starch do you use sir?
That means u charge 150 per shirt/trouser
Nagara heavy starch
I charge #300 on up and down
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Anakin007(m): 2:51am On Sep 27, 2013
grin if u ask me? Nah who i go ask?D mater weh u c so he teh weh he start.!!!!!
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by PAO429: 5:14am On Sep 27, 2013
oniwo: I have a dry cleaning centre here in Asaba. The profit is still there unlike when there is stable light. For example for 25 shirts & 25 trousers. Cost of services.
5 litres of Fuel #500
Total cost #1295.
about starting one soon.pls how much do u charge for shirts,suits,wedding gowns,bed spread,natives and trouser
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by dheaven: 5:19am On Sep 27, 2013
If you are not leaving in a place you are sure people are lazy or too rich to wash their cloths themselves never u invest your hard money into this business.
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Raxxye(m): 5:28am On Sep 27, 2013
I started the business early this year. It's lucrative, but it's challenging and labour-intensive.

Using a charcoal/stove iron isn't a good idea because the temperature cannot be regulated, and this is important since different fabrics require different amount of heat!
I use a SUMEC 3000 generator as a back-up, which I bought for 40,000. I use a washing machine too. The gen can carry both machine and a single iron at the same time. Lest I forget,I'm in Port Harcourt.

2 Likes

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Raxxye(m): 5:35am On Sep 27, 2013
dheaven: If you are not leaving in a place you are sure people are lazy or too rich to wash their cloths themselves never u invest your hard money into this business.
How would u determine whether people in an area are lazy or not?
Truth is: people will always need laundry services. It isn't a function of where they live!

3 Likes

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by 52Naira(m): 5:35am On Sep 27, 2013
oniwo: Cost of setting up a dry cleaning centre
Other expenses 20k
pls sir,how do you tag the cloths 4 identification purpose.you need 650k to open something reasonable here in owerri.only shop rent 4 18 months,agreement&agent is 300k.
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by anonimi: 6:02am On Sep 27, 2013
Raxxye: I started the business early this year. It's lucrative, but it's challenging and labour-intensive.

Using a charcoal/stove iron isn't a good idea because the temperature cannot be regulated, and this is important since different fabrics require different amount of heat!
I use a SUMEC 3000 generator as a back-up, which I bought for 40,000. I use a washing machine too. The gen can carry both machine and a single iron at the same time.
Lest I forget,I'm in Port Harcourt.

Best post so far on this thread.

Raxxye:
How would u determine whether people in an area are lazy or not?
Truth is: people will always need laundry services. It isn't a function of where they live!

You surely know what you are talking about.
Even students on campus will need laundry services, simply

- package & price your services accordingly,
- engage reliable worker(s) to wash & iron manually and
- build your reputation slowly & STEADILY through quality & timely delivery.

- have a growth plan for your business e.g to add DRY CLEANING (which is very different from laundry) services of clothes and later houses etc.

Those who want to continue waiting for (as an example) a state governor to hand them recruitment letters to 13,000 teaching jobs after six years of doing nothing about teacher shortages are free to do so.

3 Likes

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Articul8(m): 6:49am On Sep 27, 2013
To d glory of God I manage one and its a years and 6months old now.
Using coal iron isn't advisable at all.Av u heard of stains? U wldnt like after u'v washed and u foundout dia is a coal stain on a customer's cloth. Considering the process bfor it gets to ironing (washing,starch and drying) wld u wnt to go tru dt again? No!

PHCN is an excuse,we all knw dis. A generator wld do jt dt 4 u. I started with abt 250k.

There is more to laundry dan jt washing. There ar stain removers of different kinds dt u av to kip in ur store. Some stains ar stubborn.And mst tyms customer assume we ar magicians (lol).jt like doctors,dey only try bt God heals. A dry cleaner can nt make ur clothes brand new again,we only try to through clean services and packaging.

4 Likes

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by okpurukata(f): 7:22am On Sep 27, 2013
Articul8: To d glory of God I manage one and its a years and 6months old now.
Using coal iron isn't advisable at all.Av u heard of stains? U wldnt like after u'v washed and u foundout dia is a coal stain on a customer's cloth. Considering the process bfor it gets to ironing (washing,starch and drying) wld u wnt to go tru dt again? No!

PHCN is an excuse,we all knw dis. A generator wld do jt dt 4 u. I started with abt 250k.

There is more to laundry dan jt washing. There ar stain removers of different kinds dt u av to kip in ur store. Some stains ar stubborn.And mst tyms customer assume we ar magicians (lol).jt like doctors,dey only try bt God heals. A dry cleaner can nt make ur clothes brand new again,we only try to through clean services and packaging.

Give us an idea of your revenue within the period of operation.

1 Like

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by oniwo(m): 7:54am On Sep 27, 2013
PAO429: about starting one soon.pls how much do u charge for shirts,suits,wedding gowns,bed spread,natives and trouser
It depends on your location.
You cannot charge high price in a an environment where over 70% are civil servant.
Also amount u charge some will difer from others. There is regular customers and seasonal customers.

1 Like

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by kunlesehan(m): 7:55am On Sep 27, 2013
kokoye: Any country (with a sizable ammount of oil or other natural resources) that has its citizens generating their own power for survival is worse than a 3rd world country.

gbam!
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by gabinogem(m): 7:56am On Sep 27, 2013
I'm having an electronic iron, it uses battery. .. enjoying it.
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by busybrains: 7:57am On Sep 27, 2013
So this thread finally made frontpage? Nice one mods.

1 Like

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by oduamine: 8:03am On Sep 27, 2013
Please am about to start but want to start without a washing machine.please can you list the best soap,detergents,starch,stain removers.Thanks
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by sfx9ja(m): 8:08am On Sep 27, 2013
I am a consultant in the laundry business currently a business development manager with a foremost laundry in lagos. The solution is strategy!.... Analysis, plan development and implementation. Consult me thru sfxnigeria in gmail
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by busybrains: 8:12am On Sep 27, 2013
I use a washing machine which has spin. So after washing u spin the clothes which makes it almost dry den hang it out to dry for about 10-20 minutes. After its dry u bring it in and iron. I have a generator that can carry both the washing machine and the iron. I am not always present at the shop as I have a worker there who does most of the work. For tagging and identification I use a paper tape for now.

1 Like

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by anonimi: 8:18am On Sep 27, 2013
oniwo:
You cannot charge high price in a an environment where over 70% are civil servant.
Also amount u charge some will difer from others. There is regular customers and seasonal customers.

Na real wah for some of our people oh, they want to be spoon-fed like babies.
Can he not go round laundry and dry cleaning shops in his area to know how much they charge etc
Person wey nor wan do reasearch to thoroughly analyse the market situation around simply wants some mumu who has done his to hand EVERYTHING over to him.
Has he heard about the word, TIPS
SMH!!!

2 Likes

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by Damalex4luv(m): 8:28am On Sep 27, 2013
5 litres of Fuel #500
Total cost #1295.
♍γ friend dat do the job here in ife charge 100naira or 80naira 4 one shirt
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by lifestyle1(m): 8:55am On Sep 27, 2013
Useful thread! cool

1 Like

Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by hotmas911(m): 8:59am On Sep 27, 2013
Re: Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? by PAO429: 9:00am On Sep 27, 2013
oniwo:
I m talking about na average area..4 further description 3bedroom flat is 4rm 200k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Advantages/disadvanteges Of Currency Devaluation / Naira Scarcity Lingers Despite Supreme Court Judgment / Can We Openly And Ethically Discuss Anything About Paypal In Nigeria Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.