Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,452 members, 7,808,609 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed (5665 Views)

Princess Adeola Ogunwusi: “How My Father Becoming Ooni Has Changed My Life” / Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba / 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 2:27am On Sep 25, 2013
I thought arab women were oppressed and forced to wear that hijab under the hot sun in dubai and saudi

but when I went to Dubai shocked I saw women balling, driving in real expensive cars, they dont get to work . dey just go to the mall everyday, shop and gossip with their friends while shopping

those dubai women live like princesses smiley

Although this video does not show the balling ladies but a working class saudi woman who seems to be happy

enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UytO0YrW1zE

2 Likes

Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 2:38am On Sep 25, 2013
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by DesChyko1(m): 2:41am On Sep 25, 2013
*blinks twice*
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 3:01am On Sep 25, 2013
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Osama10(m): 10:07am On Sep 25, 2013
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Nobody: 4:43am On Sep 26, 2013
and then??

2 Likes

Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:44pm On Sep 26, 2013
women in DUbai have a lot of rights , respect and luxury.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 3:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
women in DUbai have a lot of rights , respect and luxury.

What about foreign women? I mean non-Arab
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:52pm On Sep 26, 2013
Fulaman198:

What about foreign women? I mean non-Arab

non Emirati you mean. they dont care whether you are Arab or not, as long as you are Khaleeji. (Gulf Arab)

non-Arabs also have right, but luxuries depend on their wealth ofcourse.

they have respect too, but Emirati women have more respect.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 26, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
*blinks twice*

^^

onila is off the charts! grin
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

non Emirati you mean. they dont care whether you are Arab or not, as long as you are Khaleeji. (Gulf Arab)

non-Arabs also have right, but luxuries depend on their wealth ofcourse.

they have respect too, but Emirati women have more respect.

interesting.
bro have you ever been there? smiley
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 26, 2013
onila: Although this video does not show the balling ladies but a working class saudi woman who seems to be happy

enjoy!

but i bet they have clan systems lipsrsealed
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 6:26pm On Sep 26, 2013
*Kails*:

Wouldn't surprise me
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Afam4eva(m): 6:34pm On Sep 26, 2013
it's the media playing with your minds. If the media wants you to see certain people in a negative light, they will do it. It's not until you see these people for yourself that you'll know that the media doesn't tell the whole story. They just tell a very small fraction of it.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 6:37pm On Sep 26, 2013
Afam4eva: it's the media playing with your minds. If the media wants you to see certain people in a negative light, they will do it. It's not until you see these people for yourself that you'll know that the media doesn't tell the whole story. They just tell a very small fraction of it.

While you are correct, as a Nigerian I would prefer not to live in a western country or Arab country because of discrimination.

1 Like

Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:51pm On Sep 27, 2013
*Kails*:

interesting.
bro have you ever been there? smiley

Yes I have.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:53pm On Sep 27, 2013
*Kails*:

They have lots of tribes and not many outsiders know that each tribe has its own cultural forms as well.

Marrying outside the tribe is highly discouraged. (for women its unthinkable).
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

While you are correct, as a Nigerian I would prefer not to live in a western country or Arab country because of discrimination.

Im not sure of how you assess this. Infact Gulf Arab Tribals are very tolerant and friendly towards dark-skinned people.

Most of them have close childhood friends from Somalia, Sudan and Kenya and they treat them equally. Even many of their singers and musicians are African/African-origin.

the racist ones are the levantine Arabs (lebanese, syrians, etc.). Beware.

1 Like

Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by druid06(m): 6:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Im not sure of how you assess this. Infact Gulf Arab Tribals are very tolerant and friendly towards dark-skinned people.

Most of them have close childhood friends from Somalia, Sudan and Kenya and they treat them equally. Even many of their singers and musicians are African/African-origin.

Dude, kindly specify who the gulf Arabs are.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
@ pagan u are so right.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:25pm On Sep 27, 2013
druid06:

Dude, kindly specify who the gulf Arabs are.

UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, and to some extent Saudi Arabia and Southern Iraq (Ma'dan/Marsh Arabs). Ethnically you may even include Yemen, though it is not a Gulf Country.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: @ pagan u are so right.

wink
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Also if you notice in their tribal dances, it is very common, almost mandatory to find the presence of atleast 1 dark-skinned person of African descent. Its is not a rule, but that is how it is by default. They dance together, have food from the same plate, etc.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by druid06(m): 6:54pm On Sep 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Also if you notice in their tribal dances, it is very common, almost mandatory to find the presence of atleast 1 dark-skinned person of African descent. Its is not a rule, but that is how it is by default. They dance together, have food from the same plate, etc.

Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
druid06:

I know this slightly out of context but since you're a traditionalist and an educated one at that. I want to have your take on witches and wizards, ogbanje and people afflicted with water spirit (Olookun). Does such entities exist? Are they gods? How do they operate? Does Olookun truly bless those that worship her with fortune?

Thanks.

witches and wizards, you mean like Harry potter? No they don't exist. Unless you are talking about our traditional priests. they are not witches and wizards.

Ogbanje, in the spiritual context is the plausibility of being affected by a malevolent spirit/bad winds that cause a series of misfortune in life, owing to a unfinished/bad cause, such as the premature death of a baby, due to childbirth/disease,etc.

The sould of the child did not get a chance to test itself to its attached material manifestation (the childs body that died), so it is said to become malevolent and reactive. In the past (maybe even now), they mutilate the dead body of the child, so that the spirit is completely dissociated from its material parallel (the body). Its not about the extent of mutilitation, in as much as it is with the symbolism, conviction and the context which is what satisfies the ritual purpose.

I don't know much about Olookun affliction. Olokun is the deity of water and fluid bodies.

Yes the exist. depending on the potency and power, they are Gods/spirits. They operate on the whims of the forces of nature. We Hausa call them winds. Like WInds (from small breezes to powerful gusts of wind, to cyclones and storms). It all depends on the force.

Yes if you truly mean it. But you have to sacrifice something. (doesnt necessairly have to be an animal). Maybe even alcohol or fruits or vegetables. The important point is you have to supplicate your prayers with ritual and mean it and also provide your own driving force (effort) towards it. If you can do all of this, then Olokun will answer you. Take part in the Oyo masquerde also. I dont know if that works too. grin
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 8:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Don't necessarily agree with this, look at Libya now, ever since Ghaddafi left power Nigerians, Nigeriens, Malians are being treated like crap and being killed for no reason, I know Libya is not the gulf, but even in Saudi where I have some relatives (I know it is Holy land for Muslims), non-natives are not exactly treated the best, that's a fact. Even if you speak Arabic fluently
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:04pm On Sep 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Don't necessarily agree with this, look at Libya now, ever since Ghaddafi left power Nigerians, Nigeriens, Malians are being treated like crap and being killed for no reason

Libya is not a Gulf Arab country. its a nation of Berbers and Arab-Berber hybrids.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
Fulaman198:
but even in Saudi where I have some relatives (I know it is Holy land for Muslims), non-natives are not exactly treated the best, that's a fact. Even if you speak Arabic fluently

Saudi Arabia doesnt treat non-nationals the best. That is true. Saudi Arabia is also a fanatic islamic nation.

UAE is the opposite of Saudi Arabia on these terms.

Emiratis like foreigners to some extent. They have been used to their company.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 8:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Libya is not a Gulf Arab country. its a nation of Berbers and Arab-Berber hybrids.

I'm well aware that it is not a gulf country, look at this video if you do not believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaUsR-blSw0
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:16pm On Sep 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

I'm well aware that it is not a gulf country, look at this video if you do not believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaUsR-blSw0

again Iraq is not a part of GCC. (gulf Arabia). I just included the Mad'an tribals of the Iraqi Marshlands.

Basra is a city and there are no Arab Bedu or tribals there of pure Arab stock. very few if any.

However I do believe that.

but what is funny is that in some places, for example take the Soomalis. they tell you to call them and they call each other "Abdi" or "Warya Abdi". They think its a cool trend.

abdi means slave.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 8:16pm On Sep 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

again Iraq is not a part of GCC. (gulf Arabia). I just included the Mad'an tribals of the Iraqi Marshlands.

Basra is a city and there are no Arab Bedu or tribals there of pure Arab stock. very few if any.

However I do believe that.

but what is funny is that in some places, for example take the Soomalis. they tell you to call them and they call each other "Abdi" or "Warya Abdi". They think its a cool trend.

abdi means slave.

Take a look at what happens in Yemen then, like the west, Racism is a big problem in the middle east:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_HSfHi3hA
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 8:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
Also my Arabic is not bad, it's pretty good, but as aforementioned I would never move to a foreign place that treats bads this badly. This is the mistake a lot of Africans make when they move to the west or middle east. Because of our failed leadership here, people think that when they move to a different country, life will improve somehow for them, but it won't necessarily unless you are from the top 1% educated people in the world meaning you have a Master's or Ph.D. in something worthwhile.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Early History Of The Niger-congo Speakers (igbo, Yoruba, Fulani, Mande, Etc) / Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? / What's The Difference Between Ibibio, Efik And Annang?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.