Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja (50018 Views)

5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria / Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / The Most Expensive Places To Live In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by Abujafood: 6:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
Abuja is rated the 4th most expensive city in Africa due to its high cost of living. A number of factors are responsible for this such as difficulty in accessing available land due to land grabbing by the elite, a very strict master plan, plus lots of money in circulation chasing very few goods as Abuja is still largely a Government run city. Here we present Abuja’s 5 most expensive districts based on living costs including rent and basic consumables.

Asokoro District

If you want to live in Asokoro because of its exclusivity and high brow status that’s a good thing to aspire to but be warned as you’ll discover that unless you’re a filthy rich money bag you can’t even rent an apartment not to talk of owning a house. Rents start from N4 million for 2 bedroom flats and that’s not also talking about the few expensive shops around where you may spend some people’s annual salaries on a single spree.

Maitama District

Most people who live in Maitama are diplomats, ministers, government big shots, former or serving governors and their families, senators or big time contractors but not regular civil servants or ordinary Nigerians like you and I. If you can cough out N2.5 million for a 2 bedroom flat for 12 months or spend close to N100,000 for regular groceries for a family of 4 at any of the expensive supermarkets (212 or Classic) then it’s no big deal to reside in this part of Abuja.

Wuse 2

Has most of Abuja’s upscale restaurants and hospitality centers. It’s where you’ll find the Exclusive stores, Juice Place 2, Quarter Café, Woks and Koi, The Nail Bar or Bloomsbury Plaza among other high flying places where the big spenders in town love to frequent. This district competes with Maitama for living costs but is more of a commercial district. The few residents in this area make you understand with their lifestyles the difference between high class living and well …. you know the rest.

Garki 2

While Garki 2 doesn’t fall into the league of Wuse 2 or Maitama for high living costs it however does make for an expensive town - compared to other districts in Abuja. For instance Garki 2 has some of the most expensive supermarkets and shopping malls in Abuja, just in case you're dreaming of purchasing regular consumables. Rent in this part of the city is quite high and a 2 bedroom flat could go for between N1.5 million to N2.5 million per year depending on which part you find yourself in.

Gwarinpa

The so called largest housing Estate in West Africa, Gwarinpa is home to many upper middle class folks who want a decent alternative to Maitama or Wuse 2. Houses here are quite expensive just as social hang-outs will quickly leave a huge hole in your pocket if you decide to socialize and entertain family and friends.

http://www.abujafood.info/2013/09/the-5-most-expensive-places-to-live-in.html
Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by Ajuora: 9:25pm On Sep 25, 2013
6 Apo zone E.
7 Gudu district.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by justwise(m): 8:54am On Sep 26, 2013
@Op

What you said about Maitama is true though that was not the case around 1993 when i went to maitama to live with my elder brother, it was an affordable place then, individuals not just diplomats or political big dogs buy houses then, up until 1999 when i left there 'ordinary' Nigerians can still afford to live there, but when i visited again in 2008 things have changed drastically, maitama rebuilt, expensive shopping centers springs up, posh looking houses, things very expensive within that area, maitama was basically taken over by some upper class Nigerians because some people were 'forced to sale their houses because they were offered stupid amount of money too hard to reject.
Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by nigeriancuban: 3:25pm On Oct 25, 2015
hmm
Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 25, 2015
And I always look down on Gwarinpa lols

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by phonesNgadgets: 2:02pm On Oct 26, 2015
Just like I'm eyeing some properties on Banana Island,cos I'm sure most of these Dudes will eventually move to Eko Atlantic City when it's 100% complete; I'm also eyeing some properties at Maitama district.
So help me God! Amen. smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by Homeyfav: 1:39pm On Nov 24, 2017
Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by Homeyfav: 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2017
Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 11:29pm On Oct 29, 2023
Wuse zone 3 is expensive too, a plate of rice here nawa, talk more of eba, fufu and semo with chicken meat

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by Deicide: 4:47am On Apr 10
Nawa o
Re: The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja by Modecaih: 8:39am On Apr 10
What about guzape and katampe district?

(1) (Reply)

Ship Carrying Over 2000 Cars Bound For Brazil Sinks / US To Deport Foreign Students Whose Courses Go Fully Online / NAF Acquires Super Tucano Aircraft (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.