Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,158 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Website Reviews, Anyone? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Reviews, Anyone? (4052 Views)

Website Reviews (Airline Flight And Booking Website) / Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers / Website Reviews Wanted - Farriel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 11:36am On Jun 25, 2008
Hello,

I would appreciate comments and/or criticisms on the layout of the 2 websites below.

www.tonarcinvestment.com - Content from client not yet added.

www.jwspreview.com/furniture - Meant for a furniture company but not yet on its own domain
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by abhosts(m): 3:30pm On Jun 25, 2008
They are nice and both load pretty fast. However, dont you think you should reconsider the use of the same layout for both sites?
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 4:16pm On Jun 25, 2008
Thanks.

The truth of the matter is that I am thinking of using the platform as a standard one so that developing a website for any client will be easy and fast.

Can we really have unique layouts for say 1000 clients? In theory yes but in practice it will be another wahala altogether.

I don't want to focus on the unique designs but on the functionalities that many of the websites out there lack.

Many companies are revamping their websites as they demand more, more than just combination of colors and animations.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by mambenanje(m): 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2008
well well well
I mean no harm
but Afam I strongly would advice a change of the design. It will cost you nothing to download a template and use.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 6:30pm On Jun 25, 2008
mambenanje:

well well well
I mean no harm
but Afam I strongly would advice a change of the design. It will cost you nothing to download a template and use.

Thanks for your advice but could you tell me why you prefer a template that you have not pointed to yet?

There are good templates and there are bad ones. Could you point me to one that you believe is ok bearing in mind simplicity?
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by mambenanje(m): 7:02pm On Jun 25, 2008
well Afam
you are in direct contact with the clients so you can best take the decision. visit www.oswd.org which stands for open source web design. we all love open source and it simple means the templates there are open source. you can take them customise them and use for your projects.
I guess there can be a template there for you
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Neptune(m): 10:49pm On Jun 25, 2008
Afam, i dont think you should bother your self trying to design websites. i know ur a very sensitive guy so dont take this the wrong way. just get templates or use them as a guide to creating yours. The 2 site u posted are basically 1 site, each having different products. now if you are using the sites to showcase your programming skills, its a different thing. but if its for a client then, ok. back to the sites, for the furniture site, check this out http://www.finerdesign.com/website-templates/template-19630.html. that should save me alot of typing. look at the way that is and use the idea from now on whenever you design your sites. it'll really help. key things you should keep in mind are: 1. background colour(s). they bring sites out. 2. banners (attractive ones). they tell 55% story about the site without you having to click about us (believe it or not) and lastly arraingement. hope this helps!
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by OmniPotens(m): 8:37am On Jun 26, 2008
@Afam

Both sites are the same. I suggest the use of such when someone wants to offer free websites to his Affiliates who are to sell his products. You can make even a thousand of such sites just changing the colour and maintaining the same everything. Using it for two different clients as their corporate website doesn't look too good.

This is what I feel and hope it is right.

Anyway, keep the good flag flying!
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 10:53am On Jun 26, 2008
mambenanje:

well Afam
you are in direct contact with the clients so you can best take the decision. visit www.oswd.org which stands for open source web design. we all love open source and it simple means the templates there are open source. you can take them customise them and use for your projects.
I guess there can be a template there for you

Thanks for your comments and the link. I visited the site and the templates on the link you provide would be most inappropriate for products. Correct me if I am wrong. I simply followed the link to clarify things for myself.

Neptune:

Afam, i don't think you should bother your self trying to design websites. i know your a very sensitive guy so don't take this the wrong way. just get templates or use them as a guide to creating yours. The 2 site u posted are basically 1 site, each having different products. now if you are using the sites to showcase your programming skills, its a different thing. but if its for a client then, ok. back to the sites, for the furniture site, check this out http://www.finerdesign.com/website-templates/template-19630.html. that should save me alot of typing. look at the way that is and use the idea from now on whenever you design your sites. it'll really help. key things you should keep in mind are: 1. background colour(s). they bring sites out. 2. banners (attractive ones). they tell 55% story about the site without you having to click about us (believe it or not) and lastly arraingement. hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice but I believe I should bother myself trying to design sites because you have not provided me with alternatives.

I believe it was crystal clear from my post that the sites were from a basic platform.

Now you point me to a website that is using a template for osCOmmerce, an open source ecommerce CMS that I used some years ago. How many people do you think actually makes use of that template? 1, 10, 100, 1000 or 1 million?

I am not here to think about 2 or 3 furniture firms, you could have 100 or 200 of them and when you do what do you do? Change the background of the same template you asked me to use?

OmniPotens:

@Afam

Both sites are the same. I suggest the use of such when someone wants to offer free websites to his Affiliates who are to sell his products. You can make even a thousand of such sites just changing the colour and maintaining the same everything. Using it for two different clients as their corporate website doesn't look too good.

This is what I feel and hope it is right.

Anyway, keep the good flag flying!

Thanks for your advice, however the main problem is what do you do to carter for hundreds of clients who may be in the same line of business? This is the main issue.

Google could have come up with entirely different layouts for with millions of users around the world, don't you think?

@topic,

The problem with basically all the advice I have read here is the same, no one has been able to point to unique designs or layouts especially for more than 1 or 2 websites.

I really do not understand the motives of people who will effortlessly condemn and not be able to provide alternatives.

So, choosing a template that maybe 1 million people are using makes more sense than using one that is unique and not used by say 5 people?

I respect the opinions of others even when I will not agree with them if I have good reasons not to.

I do not even need to download any of the templates as they can be replicated with ease but the main thing here is - why use them at all when they are open to millions of people all over the world?
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by mambenanje(m): 1:43pm On Jun 26, 2008
@Afam
I love the fact that you believe in your self and your products but one thing we should always consider when designing websites is aesthetics. Its like buying a car, the design counts alot.
The main issue here is a corporate website and a webservice. If gmail or google.com or blogger.com is going to be visited by millions of people a day, then removing most graphics and making it simple is the way to go. But if I am building a site for UBA, or an online furniture store. then the site has to be highly attractive so that my client's clients will be willing to stay on the site and buy, and at the end my client will also be able to pay me for my work.
All in all blogger like you said is not a valid example, search google for any wood works or related websites and see how attractive their design is.
Why all this grammar sef: all we wanted to say is please consider your designs, no matter how you do it.
if I am posting this is because I was already thinking there are some young guys in this forum that might take your advice and start producing sites with low aesthetics.
Usability is good but aesthetics is what is making Windows out smart Linux [ think about it ], of facebook outsmart myspace
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 2:11pm On Jun 26, 2008
Thanks.

I think I will appreciate it if some of you guys develop some of these websites for clients either for free or for a fee so that we can all see these unique designs.

There is a disconnect between what you want me to do and what you implement on your own websites.

You may need to check why facebook is doing better than myspace because in terms of design I believe myspace is more attractive.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by ngwebdesig: 4:45pm On Jun 26, 2008
I like both designs- really user friendly and looks like it can compete with any furniture or ecommerce site out there. You are a credit to Nigerian webdesigners. Keep up the good work.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by webemerald(m): 5:02pm On Jun 26, 2008
ngwebdesig:

looks like it can compete with any furniture or ecommerce site out there. You are a credit to Nigerian webdesigners. Keep up the good work.

You were joking right ? grin
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by ngwebdesig: 5:09pm On Jun 26, 2008
not joking- serious- I think it's really good. ALos take into consideration that it isn't done. If I were a client and he shows this to me as a template asking for my approval to start the project- I would say yes! it's a good site, good layout, once its filled with the products, I think you'll have a better appreciation of it.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by webemerald(m): 5:13pm On Jun 26, 2008
I agree wink
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by hanen(f): 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2008
Wow. shocked

You didn't even TRY to change it up a little. Na wa for you o. I showed a couple of people here, and they were embarassed on your behalf.

Not to repeat what's already been said, but I think it's the height of UN-professionalism that you're choosing to give all your clients the same layout, no matter how justified you think you are.

Admit it. Everyone in this Webmasters section pretty much knows it by now, and you've admitted it once before yourself: You suck at designing. So stop making excuses for it.

No client (unless he's not very familiar with the web and just any idea of a website at all is exciting by itself) will want his site to look EXACTLY like 3, 4 other sites out there. That's ridiculous. Using Google's Blogger as an example cant work either. Those are free blog layouts. Of which, if you look at the other layouts they have on offer, they have a lot of variety.

All of the reasons you gave are only useful reasons to YOU. YOU dont want to have to think up new designs for other sites. YOU want everything to 'stay on the same platform' (whatever the hell that means). YOU want to prove to the world that form is totally irrelevant when there's functionality. YOU don't want to take other people's advice, cos you've got a huge ego. YOU REFUSE to outsource the design of your sites, for whatever reason.

I've met a few web developers in my time, and none of them have been as afraid to push the matters they are not good at to other people, what's YOUR reason?!

You justified your bland sites with the idea that once people try out your sites, they wouldn't care, Um, no. I don't know where that happens, and dude, the truth is Facebook is NEATER than Myspace. If you really think otherwise, your idea of aesthetics is worse than I thought. My first impression upon seeing a poorly designed site is, eeurgh, this CANT be of much quality. And I move on to the better looking alternative. You can't deny it. People are awed first by the beauty of something before anything else. No matter the facet of life. Be it a house, a car or even fellow people. Would you see a battered car, and think, 'Hm, lemme try driving it first. It might actually be fast.'? No? Didn't think so.

You have now introduced the silliest thing I've ever heard, similar sites for different clients a.k.a I'm too lazy to come up with anything new.

As for the sites themselves, they are BLAND and PICTURELESS, and BORING. And yes, yes, I'm sure it's functional as hell, but you know what? Don't care. It looks like an amateur's job. Take it or leave it. The link Neptune put up was actually quite nice. If I had to choose, guess which I would take. I don't know how many more of these kinds of topics we need to have with you before you accept that there IS a problem with your sites, and that is the reason you and your works''ll fade into mediocrity like many other Nigerian web designers.

Bring on the hurt-pride, abusive reply. (Yes, we're used to your self-defence by now) undecided
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by smartsoft(m): 6:12pm On Jun 26, 2008
what i think on his own is that, looking at 1000 clients, who does smaething like funiture or electrical thing, is just easy fr them to have that and change those colours, to their own colour thats what i think he is thinking, not the layout now, but at the same time, if u can also put a clean layout and intergrate those ur php thing, or make it a full CMS with nice layout., so that clients wil be able to change layout by themselves,
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Neptune(m): 6:23pm On Jun 26, 2008
when you do what do you do? Change the background of the same template you asked me to use?
you never stop to amaze me men. honestly. if i did'nt know better, i would have posted something similar to hanen's post. but hey, its Afam right. Just to be clear about the whole getting things wrong thinggy. I was trying to give you an idea of what you should be doing not trying to make you use or copy that exact template.

look at the way that is and use the idea from now on whenever you design your sites. it'll really help
thats what i said. not download the template and change the background.

And i'll hope you would go around "haunting" people like hanen and other people trying to help you. if you dont want help, stop posting your sites for reviews. Normally i would have told you those sites suck (which they really do) but.   .   .  .
.  .  .  i really dont know man.really.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 6:41pm On Jun 26, 2008
Boy! This is getting interesting.

I ask for a review and people want to force their opinions on me and even when they are the first to use abusive words they end up claiming that Afam is insulting anyone.

To those that have offered advice thanks. Implement them and let us see.

For the records I have again been insulted by the likes of hanen and tomorrow he will talk about being insulted. I will not respond in kind this time as doing so will make his day.

If anyone does not like the design the person can commit suicide for all I care.

There are people here that claim to be experts and their own websites are worse of.

Ok, I am willing to outsource the design, where are the good web designers here? Webemerald? Timmy? These 2 I know have pasted other peoples work on their portfolio pages and claimed to have designed the sites.

Let the list of good designers come up and let us see their works. You cannot be a web design expert only on forums.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 7:39pm On Jun 26, 2008
In my quest to get a good web designer that I can outsource websites to as usual I followed the link to one of the critic's website www.webworkstudio.net (by the way Neptune, you got your website name wrong, check your profile page).

I met a black page and on clicking to proceed to the main page I came across a very beautiful design (unfortunately, on the web such graphics have no place) and non functional links. After about 10 minutes I was still seeing 7% (I guess the flash work was still loading) and a small message that says I should check back very soon.

A link to his featured works work have helped me but there was no link on that phrase.

From timmy, webemerald and now Neptune one thing is common, these people will effortlessly abuse you based on your works and when you try to see what they have done you realize they have nothing to offer and in my opinion their comments are usually based on envy rather any other thing. Maybe the fact that they cannot do anything other than static websites is too hard for them to swallow.

As they say empty barrels make the most noise.

Still on the search for a good web designer I can outsource websites to? Any takers?
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Neptune(m): 8:12pm On Jun 26, 2008
KAI. this guy don finish me! LOL
thanks for the url thing. i don change am. As for
these people will effortlessly abuse you based on your works and when you try to see what they have done you realize they have nothing to offer and in my opinion their comments are usually based on envy rather any other thing. Maybe the fact that they cannot do anything other than static websites is too hard for them to swallow.
we or I am truly sorry. But i don't remember ever abusing you neither enving you. but its alright.

and as for
if being an empty barrel got me to where i am today, i'm loving it dawg.

and to all other people who would want to reply to this post
In my quest to get a good web designer that I can outsource websites to as usual I followed the link to one of the critic's website www.webworkstudio.net (by the way Neptune, you got your website name wrong, check your profile page).

I met a black page and on clicking to proceed to the main page I came across a very beautiful design (unfortunately, on the web such graphics have no place) and non functional links. After about 10 minutes I was still seeing 7% (I guess the flash work was still loading) and a small message that says I should check back very soon.

A link to his featured works work have helped me but there was no link on that phrase.

From timmy, webemerald and now Neptune one thing is common, these people will effortlessly abuse you based on your works and when you try to see what they have done you realize they have nothing to offer and in my opinion their comments are usually based on envy rather any other thing. Maybe the fact that they cannot do anything other than static websites is too hard for them to swallow.

Still on the search for a good web designer I can outsource websites to? Any takers?

and not the websites posted for reviews PLEASE don't. just don't. abeg. let the rain of abuses end here.

Afam, i will continue to reply to your post to the best i can execpt you don't want me to. Thanks for nothin man. I don't get mad easly so im guessing you're angry right now and its ok. but speaking for my self, i mean no harm whenever i post stuffs on nairaland.

As for my site. Its just there to so case stuff that i've done. the supposed links at the top are not links they are things i do. right on top of that is 'profile' where u can see my contact information.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by hanen(f): 8:43pm On Jun 26, 2008
and in my opinion their comments are usually based on envy rather any other thing. Maybe the fact that they cannot do anything other than static websites is too hard for them to swallow.

[size=20pt]LOL.[/size]

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. Keep clinging to ur programming skills like its so rare and original. Something your juniors are doing in their bedroom, you're using it to feel special and sexy.

I love that you're so predictable. Instead of searching inwards, you want to attack the people that are talking to you. No-one's forcing anything on you. What I don't understand (and im sure some people here do too) is WHY you insist on putting us through this cycle every time u 'design' a site. You ask for a review, we tell its not that good, you get upset, go look for other people's works to tear down, same thing everytime. It's not a review if we dont tell you how we feel. And if almost everyone says its bad, maybe its cos it is?!?

If anyone does not like the design the person can commit suicide for all I care.

Aww, you speak to your clients/customers with that mouth sad
And um, FYI, the same way you'd see a movie, and think hm, its bad, are you a filmmaker? The people that will view or use your site, will they be web designers?! Stop making childish arguments abeg.

You're damn right, I'm insulting you. Cos you don't listen, you just want praise. If you're going to keep putting up remixes of the same site, and you're expecting a clap on the back for 'ingenuity', better go somewhere else ooooo, cos I think we're tired of this your nonsense. And I will tell you till it stops.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 8:57pm On Jun 26, 2008
@hanen,

Are you a web designer or developer? If yes, can you point to anything you have done so I can appreciate your comments as I am indeed sick and tired of clowns that provide all the advice on planet earth and yet they develop rubbish for themselves and for their clients.

At least the 4 I have checked out after they used all sorts of words on me and my projects have been exposed as very bad designers even when they claim to know it all.

Of course people like you may be ashamed to put up anything as your own site may not be able to stand any scrutiny.

It is easy for any clown to visit a forum and pretend to know something even if the person is cursed.

It you were brought up like a human being you should learn to ignore threads you don't like rather than making it clear that your clueless parents made a huge mistake bringing you into this world.

It is not about what idiots like you think, it is about what matters to business owners.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by hanen(f): 9:25pm On Jun 26, 2008
It is easy for any clown to visit a forum and pretend to know something even if the person is cursed.

It you were brought up like a human being you should learn to ignore threads you don't like rather than making it clear that your clueless parents made a huge mistake bringing you into this world.

It is not about what idiots like you think, it is about what matters to business owners.

Yeah, THAT's really matured, man, insulting my lineage and parents *eye roll*. You should have abandoned such tactics in JS3.

However, the fact still remains,

[size=22pt]YOUR SITES LOOK MEDIOCRE. [/size] And that's me being VERY nice.smiley

Have a nice night.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 10:01pm On Jun 26, 2008
@hanen,

What can I say to an unmarried frustrated lady working at Zenith bank? This is what you end up with after chasing men up and down to open accounts with your bank.

I hope to be proven wrong one day, I maintain that those who scream and insult others have absolutely nothing to offer as far as web development is concerned and they try to make themselves feel good by insulting others.

Wish you luck as you sleep your way to the top as it is obvious that you won't have much to offer in the banking industry. Before you start complaining about Nigerian men try to organize yourself first.

Any reviews from a web developer out there? I don't need single frustrated bankers offering useless advice on those sites.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by mambenanje(m): 10:05pm On Jun 26, 2008
@hanen
I think Afam has understood and next time he is going to come up with some better designs.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by ono(m): 10:09pm On Jun 26, 2008
LOL!! Afam in . . . . . . .!
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by hanen(f): 7:03am On Jun 27, 2008
What can I say to an unmarried frustrated lady working at Zenith bank? This is what you end up with after chasing men up and down to open accounts with your bank.

Ah take it easy oh. Dont say its because of me you have high blood pressure!

And can i just say,  Wow shocked,  you're kinda sad, y'know. You had to go look through all my previous posts on nairaland to find something to insult me with, not that you're correct or even slightly so.  Meanwhile,  I only have to stay on this page/post, look at your childish insults and your less than average works, and I've got enough reason and material.

Stop embarassing yourself. Making comments on things you don't know just cos you want to retaliate.  undecided

P.S. Thanks for the entertaining us, 'frustrated, single' bank workers over here. Your arrogance/cluelessness has been a blast, as always. grin
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 7:54am On Jun 27, 2008
Won't be surprised if an insurance broker comes along and decides to offer advice like this frustrated girl.

@hanen,

Try to get laid, get yourself a boyfriend or husband, it will help you a great deal. You can even buy one these days.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by hanen(f): 9:06am On Jun 27, 2008
Try to get laid, get yourself a boyfriend or husband, it will help you a great deal. You can even buy one these days.

Oh u big baby.
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by webemerald(m): 12:11pm On Jun 27, 2008
Afam:

Ok, I am willing to outsource the design, where are the good web designers here? Webemerald? Timmy? These 2 I know have pasted other peoples work on their portfolio pages and claimed to have designed the sites.

Afam, please clarify for all of us, whose link did i post on my portfolio page
Re: Website Reviews, Anyone? by Afam(m): 2:06pm On Jun 27, 2008
webemerald:

Afam, please clarify for all of us, whose link did i post on my portfolio page

Guy, nice try as you have removed some of them and added new ones even when some of them do not have any information that would help one know the developer.

Some are not live or the live links are not provided as I can copy 50 different websites and put them in 50 different folders on my main website and remove or add any copyright information.

Was this developed by you http://nigeriapolice.org?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Google Adsense Still Approve Blog / 9 Ways To Encourage People To Comment On Your Blog / What Might Cause Google Adsense Insufficient Content

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.