Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,770 members, 7,806,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead (27085 Views)

Crash Victim Follows Doctor’s Orders And Grows Nose On Forehead / Why This Man Has Nose On His Forehead (PHOTOS) / Girl With No Eyes Or Nose To Have Reconstructive Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by MCKULQ(m): 9:13am On Sep 26, 2013
By Tia Ghose, A man in China whose nose was damaged in an accident is growing a replacement nose on his forehead.

After a Chinese man’s nose was irreparably damaged from infection, his doctors decided to “grow” a second nose on the man’s forehead to replace the original nose.
The patient, identified only as Xiaolian according to Reuters, has his nose damaged from an infection following a car accident. His doctors decided the only way to reconstruct his nose was to surgically form a new one on the 22-year-old’s forehead.
Doctors Grow Ear on Cancer Patient’s Arm
Tissue expanders were placed under the skin and then cut to resemble a nose. According to local media, doctors expect to implant the new nose soon.
Dr. Patrick Byrne, the director of Facial, Plastic and Reconstruction Surgery at Johns Hopkins Medical Center, said forehead skin is used to help reform noses because it is the closest match to skin on the nose. However, usually the nose is reformed during surgery instead of on a patient’s forehead.
“My guess would be that they felt that the tissue in the nose was so damaged they had to use the forehead skin on the interior part of the nose,” said Byrne. “It’ll be a real nose and [have a] breathing passage way.”
Scientists Craft 3-D Ear With Printer
When the nose is transplanted, cartilage from Xiaolian’s rib will be used to give the nose added structure.
Byrne said Xiaolian’s new nose will be most vulnerable during the 18 months after his transplant.
“There’s a lot that can happen,” said Byrne. “If he gets a little infection the cartilage can disintegrate… [what looked like a nose] now looks like a blob.”
However Byrne said as long as Xiaolian is able to avoid complications, his new nose should work nearly as well as his original nose.
“He should be able to smell, the smell receptors are pretty high in the nose,” said Bryne.
In the future Byrne imagines that doctors will be able to grow entire ears and noses in the lab before transplant.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/09/25/doctors-grow-nose-on-mans-forehead/

1 Like

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by eduson33(m): 9:17am On Sep 26, 2013
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Donmichaelz(m): 11:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
------------------------- 1+1=11
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by AbuMikey(m): 11:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
...Like seriously??

5 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by trolling(m): 11:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
made in china

7 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by yemmy75(m): 11:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
End time tinz...

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
grin this what happens when you eat dogs for lunch. you start thinking like one

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by zeanslim(m): 11:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
GOSH...IMAGINE...how this man catarrh go be !!
how this man go take sneeze naa

6 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Siga: 11:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
...China, China, China.... how many times I call una name...na wa for una oooo...wetin una no go replicate sef....Still waiting for other parts of the body to be grown ooo....dirty mind people....una mind don wonder...lol....

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by kagari: 11:13pm On Sep 26, 2013
This is great, the dude is about to become a superstar
less i forget, china tins

1 Like

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by onila(f): 11:13pm On Sep 26, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

e b like say, e better e no get nose at all

1 Like

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 26, 2013
Heeee! Wetin person no go see....anyway i admire the ingenuity of the chinese

1 Like

Is he breathn frm there?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Donmichaelz(m): 11:13pm On Sep 26, 2013
Abu Mikey: ...
u mean 10 oda thread u posted dat didn't make FP,seun is my boy even if I post anything he go enter front page no be me Omo na God oo,I am connect

smileyTed

1 Like

:-(Is he breathn frm there?
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by princeonx: 11:14pm On Sep 26, 2013
shocked
Ok! What quality of nose is this? American use or naija quality?
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by chegx(m): 11:14pm On Sep 26, 2013
seen this topic earlier today on NL, anyway ETT seconded.
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Nobody: 11:14pm On Sep 26, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by princeonx: 11:15pm On Sep 26, 2013
mr.ceo63:
No ohhhh! How can? He eat from there! Who you dey ask? You see me for china? Abi you see nose for my forehead?

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Hgold(m): 11:18pm On Sep 26, 2013
END TIME THINGS
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by mujiboy(m): 11:18pm On Sep 26, 2013
Walahi Am scared!
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 26, 2013
Oyinbo,,,man made nose,its look like atiku nose,but why it was on head,why not beside natural nose

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by misterh(m): 11:19pm On Sep 26, 2013
Abeg how he dey blow catarrh? undecided

1 Like

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by chegx(m): 11:19pm On Sep 26, 2013
mr.ceo63:
he does
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by nerodenero: 11:20pm On Sep 26, 2013
While watching it today on CNN,his identity was protected and here I am starring at the man's face.Another breakthrough in the world of medicine.The whites want to fix everything in medicine and always want to play god but unfortunately,they dont have the key to life and death.The main thing here is the white are 'faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr' ahead of us.We cant catch up with them until end of time.
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by dejijohns(m): 11:20pm On Sep 26, 2013
If I tok say na photoshop nw ppl go insult me. Wel, I go stil tok am... PHOTOSHOP!!!
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Ignatio(m): 11:21pm On Sep 26, 2013
Only in China will you see this.
I thought the air passage should be facing down.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by chegx(m): 11:22pm On Sep 26, 2013
does he smells with dat artificial nose?
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by aywhy93(m): 11:22pm On Sep 26, 2013
OMG !!! Saw this on TV too ... #NossyHeady
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by barthchuks(m): 11:22pm On Sep 26, 2013
very soon they wil chinalize nairaland
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by chegx(m): 11:23pm On Sep 26, 2013
dejijohns: If I tok say na photoshop nw ppl go insult me. Wel, I go stil tok am... PHOTOSHOP!!!
lol...... it's not
Re: Doctors Grow Nose On Man’s Forehead by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 26, 2013
barthchuks: very soon they wil chinalize nairaland

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Retired Zookeeper Eaten By His Tigers As He Tried To Feed Them / NASA Astronauts Safely Splash Down As SpaceX Crew Dragon Returns From Space / Zakari Abubakar Creates A Steam Power Plant That Uses Sawdust To Fire Boiler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.