Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten (16578 Views)

What Are Those Food That Should Be Eaten In Order To Add Weight / Man Selling Expired Yogurt In Kaduna Dealt With (photos) / Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 26, 2013
When Doug Rauch, the former president of grocery chain Trader Joe's, announced earlier this week that he is planning on opening a discount store that carries expired food, the big question many responded with was: "Is it safe?" Americans have come to equate products past their expiration dates with food poisoning, a misconception that contributes to 40 percent ­— or $160 billion worth — of the nation's food supply being trashed each year.

"Food-borne illness comes from the contamination of food by salmonella, listeria, and other pathogens," agriculture and food expert Dana Gunders, who co-authored a recent report on food labeling by the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic, tells Yahoo Shine. "They get on the food during production and processing. That's what leads to people being sick, not the age of the food." Many foods will still be OK to eat after their "use by" date has long expired, even meat and milk.

While most people think that food labeling is regulated, the Federal Food and Drug Administration oversees only the labeling of baby formula. Everything else is at the discretion of the food producer or seller.

Widespread labeling came about during the 1970s, long after the majority of American consumers had transitioned from growing their own food or purchasing food from farms and local shops to buying from large supermarkets. "The demand for labels came out of a concern about freshness. They were never meant to be about safety," says Gunders. In fact, expiration dates aren't a guarantee of safety at all, since they were designed to simply indicate peak quality.

There are actually two types of food labels. "Sell by" dates are meant to tell retailers when the manufacturer recommends that they rotate stock. "Use by" or "best by" dates, meanwhile, indicate freshness to the consumer. "For most products, it's up to the manufacturer," says Gunders. "Some may use actual lab tests, but that's pretty rare. They might do consumer taste testing or they might guess according to how competitors are labeling."

In my own refrigerator, a sealed glass jar of salsa reads "best by April 24, 2014." What exactly happens on April 25? When it comes to eating so-called expired food, Gunders and other experts say you can indeed consume many foods past their expiration dates if you eyes, nose, and a healthy serving of common sense.

"Smell the food," food safety expert Ted Labuza tells Yahoo Shine. Labuza, who teaches food science and nutrition at the University of Minnesota says the key to ensuring a longer shelf life is controlling the storage temperature and preventing exposure to moisture and oxygen. Before you toss something out, check out this list of just some of the items that will last beyond their expiration dates, if you follow a few simple steps.

Meat. Labuza keeps his refrigerator at between 32 and 34 degrees, lower than the generally recommended 40 degrees. This gives meat a 50 percent longer shelf life, he says. Labuza points out that stores don't scientifically determine the use-by date of fresh meat, but follow what their competitors are doing.

Milk. Pasteurized milk also lasts 50 percent longer when stored at a lower temperature.

Canned goods. The label generally gives a shelf life of about three years. If you keep cans in a cool place (not above the stove) they will last about seven years. Always discard dented cans. Jarred and bottled goods will also last longer than their best date if kept in a cool place.

Frozen food. "I never look at the dates, I just eat it," says Labuza. Freezing kills all of the microbes that cause spoilage, although food will develop ice crystals (freezer burn) if there is an air space inside the packaging.

Dry goods such as crackers and corn chips. If they have a stale texture, crisp them up in a toaster oven. If they smell "barnyard-y" or rancid, the oils have spoiled and it's best to discard.

Eggs. Place in a bowl of water. If an egg floats, it's gone bad, but if it sinks, it's still edible, even if that expiration date passed you by weeks ago.

Pasta. Keep pasta in clear packaging in a dark, cool place which will increase shelf life and also retain nutrients, including riboflavin, that are light sensitive.

Bread. Keeping bread and other wheat-flour based foods in the freezer dramatically extends shelf life.

Packaged greens. If your lettuce is wilted but not visibly decayed, you can revive it by soaking in ice water for about 10 minutes.

One caveat: Prepared foods and processed meats can pick up pathogens while being produced. Gunders warns that prepared foods such as a deli sandwich or processed meats can harbor listeria that proliferates even when stored in the refrigerator. Use such foods quickly and never serve processed meats such as hot dogs or sausages (including those labeled pre-cooked) raw, especially to small children, the elderly, or anyone who has a compromised immune system. The good news: Cooking will kill surface bacteria.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/expired-food-just-nose-190200241.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by dryakson(m): 9:52am On Sep 26, 2013
I'm not the type that waste food.
I eat expired food without any doubt of the unknown

4 Likes

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 26, 2013
dryakson: I'm not the type that waste food.
I eat expired food without any doubt of the unknown
I hope the expired food you eat are the ones well kept in the refrigerator/freezer to prevent growth of microbes? undecided
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by shadrach77: 1:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
i didn't need to be told this. Except for bread, if it tastes okay, i'll consider it to be okay wink cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by tejpot(m): 1:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
The origin of cancer. They are on it again, trigerring more cancerous cells and the need for more surgical visit to the west.

2 Likes

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by pesty100(m): 1:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
We all know expired food can still be eàten but the problem is that if you eat it... It willl cause stomach ache

1 Like

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by yuzedo: 1:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
gooood knews for mukin all d wicked MOD dat nomally hide my poast. am gonna make dem lost deir job and keep dem in charity home to eat espired dodo till dey apologise to alllllllll niaralander dey band everytiem. angry angry

esept my sweethat supermod royal tiger mukina d grate long leave her sweetness. smiley kiss (plis unban me in 6 sections gaddemit) angry

27 Likes

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by homesteady(m): 1:11pm On Sep 27, 2013
Hmm! But won't the taste of the expired food be lost?! e.g I know that when gala exceeds its Best before date, it starts getting strong and its freshness would be lost!
Or would freezing stop the process?? I don't think so!
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 27, 2013
My parents never allowed us to waste food, how can someone differentiate expired and none expired food? Even the engine wey dey check the food fit don expire self. We no dey waste food in my family.
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by kingk(m): 1:17pm On Sep 27, 2013
The very day I saw mr and mrs with children dancing inside an expired bottled drink, I vow no to eat anything that have expired.

2 Likes

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by adtiezy1(m): 1:17pm On Sep 27, 2013
uhm
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by kreamidiva(f): 1:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
I give it 3months after the expiry date before i dispose of it! undecided
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by tareigns(m): 1:23pm On Sep 27, 2013
[b][/b] SHARAAAP @op. U wana kill us. So u dnt want us to phuck sweet kpekus nd see our childs children abi. Sango no go gree 4 u.
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 27, 2013
Yes... They can still be eaten... Because its Best Before.... meaning it is still good.

2 Likes

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by UjSizzle(f): 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
I give it 3-6mths after the expiry date undecided

But i hear drugs can last 6mths after the expiration date. How true is that?
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by AkinDavid2: 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
Relative Please!
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2013
yuzedo: gooood knews for mukin all d wicked MOD dat nomally hide my poast. am gonna make dem lost deir job and keep dem in charity home to eat espired dodo till dey apologise to alllllllll niaralander dey band everytiem. angry angry

esept my sweethat supermod royal tiger mukina d grate long leave her sweetness. smiley kiss (plis unban me in 6 sections gaddemit) angry

lwkmd o
*Jumps out 3storey building

1 Like

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Presbulg(m): 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2013
I already knew this.
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by agrovick(m): 1:31pm On Sep 27, 2013
Odikwa risky o
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by sholajohn(f): 1:36pm On Sep 27, 2013
What about drugs and cosmetics??
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Hero10001: 1:40pm On Sep 27, 2013
You can eat expired food only if ''Spoilage and Intoxication'' hadn't set in..
Use your eyes, nose & tongue..

1 Like

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Lakayanah: 1:49pm On Sep 27, 2013
I had sick baby some years back that was hospitalized for a whole week no improvement a lady came to visit someone else saw my baby prescribed a drug to be given to my baby. I got to the pharmacy the one they had, had expired I bought within 2days my baby was up and doing.

1 Like

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by write2obi(m): 2:04pm On Sep 27, 2013
If it taste good, then its good. tenk
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by rezzy: 2:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
shadrach77: i didn't need to be told this. Except for bread, if it tastes okay, i'll consider it to be okay wink cheesy cheesy

Expired food can cause hepatitis E
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by tobechi74: 2:11pm On Sep 27, 2013
Then nafdac should be scraped

2 Likes

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by crackhaus: 2:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
Yes it's true, the white boys are right on this one. The only food that can cause serious health and psychological complications if eaten after its expiry date is the body of a woman. I'm talking from experience!

1 Like

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 27, 2013
rezzy:

Expired food can cause hepatitis E
Wrong! It can cause hepatitis A, not E.
Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by DSB(m): 2:22pm On Sep 27, 2013
yuzedo: gooood knews for mukin all d wicked MOD dat nomally hide my poast. am gonna make dem lost deir job and keep dem in charity home to eat espired dodo till dey apologise to alllllllll niaralander dey band everytiem. angry angry

May be your request will be heeded if you write it in English

1 Like

Re: Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten by fapcrook(m): 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2013
Expired foods can be very dangerous, be warned

(1) (2) (Reply)

He Is Addicted To Coke!!!! / Grand Oak Launches Korect Bitters / Foods/Delicacies From Other Tribes That You Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.