Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana (14007 Views)

Nigeria To Cut Gas Supply To Ghana Over Indebtedness / "Northern Youths" Threaten To "Extinguish" AIT If Buhari Doesn't Win (Letter) / Airline Operators Decry $15bn Capital Flight From Nigeria Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Wale112(m): 2:55pm On Sep 26, 2013
In an interesting twist of events, airline operators in Nigeria are threatening to move their operations to Ghana over the imposition of new tariffs by the country’s aviation regulatory body the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

The airline operators want to locate to Ghana in a bid to stay in business.

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has imposed a new fee of $4, 000 on foreign registered and $300, 000 on Nigerian carriers per trip.

The move has angered airline operators in the country who say the latest development is not in tandem with global practice.

Weeks after some local airline operators in Ghana threatened to pull out of the country over unfavorable conditions in the aviation sector, their counterparts elsewhere in Nigeria are threatening to do same and in this case locate to Ghana.

In the case of Ghana’s airline operators, the high cost of aviation fuel as well as a growing list of local operators being given the nod to operate among others was reason for their threats to pull out.

For their Nigerian counterparts however, the imposition of a new tariff by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority of $4, 000 and $300, 000 for foreign registered and Nigerian carrier per trip is the reason for the threat.

The latest imposition means airline operators will be charged that amount for every take off they make.

The new fee will also affect private jet owners who engage in unscheduled (charter) operations.

Aside this fresh charge, the operators are also to pay navigational, landing and parking charges, passenger service charge and 5 per cent of the total revenue made if the flight is chartered.

Industry players in Nigeria say the development will see airline operators move their operations to Ghana where the charges are not only moderate but reasonable.

Two local airlines from Ghana, Starbow and Africa World Airlines were recently given the nod by Nigeria’s Civil Aviation Authority to operate in the country another local airline Antrak is also expected to be given the nod soon.

Starbow is yet to announce when it will begin plying that route will Africa world airline is expected to commence in October.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has filed a suit in the Federal High Court, Lagos challenging the reluctance of foreign and Nigerian registered airlines to pay some stipulated fees for their operation.
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Rossikk(m): 3:15pm On Sep 26, 2013
Let them move to Ghana. When they charge them there or their profits reduce due to low patronage, they can then move to Liberia, Sierra Leone or Togo. Worthless idio.ts.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 26, 2013
We spent millions and billions of Naira, took some foreign loans and did so many things just to get our Airports fixed and looking nice.
Now we wanna recover the money lost by imposing tariffs and you threaten to leave?
Bwahahahahaha abeg leave if you are too broke to pay.
Poor airlines parading everywhere and forming tusssssh, did they think it was easy or cheap upgrading our airports?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 26, 2013
Good for them.
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by taharqa: 4:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
The new charges are only for Private Jets. And I honestly think the charges are on the high side. The Govt would do well to review it download

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by tim107: 4:38pm On Sep 26, 2013
Bad news!
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by since1914(m): 6:56pm On Sep 26, 2013
I think they should restrict these new charges to only Private Jets because theirs is a luxury service and they can afford to pay to keep enjoying that service no matter what. I think Commercial Airlines should be exempted since they are offering an essential service. That said, I think it is irresponsible for the operators to threaten to relocate to Ghana. If they can't find a more diplomatic way of resolving this, they should just relocate quietly, instead of making a show of it. They must also bear in mind that they will be loosing at least 70 percent of their current business by doing so.
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by texaco1: 7:03pm On Sep 26, 2013
Empty threats

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by mekaboy(m): 7:14pm On Sep 26, 2013
Ha ha ha ha, any company threatening to leave Nigeria to ghana is contemplating economic suicide. The price of fuel in ghana has been increased 4 times this year and just increased a week ago. The exchange rate is something else. At 200 and something naira exchange rate to a dolar .

A population of 20m which less than 30% use the plane except for going overseas.

They are jst making noise. Make them move.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by walton1(m): 7:34pm On Sep 26, 2013
what I read on punch newspaper applies to only private jet owners not commercial airlines. the move is in the right direction the rich should be tax for the services they receive if they want to live luxurious life.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by idupaul: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2013
Rossikk: Let them move to Ghana. When they charge them there or their profits reduce due to low patronage, they can then move to Liberia, Sierra Leone or Togo. Worthless idio.ts.

Shut up .. I am sure U work in a govt parastatal where U expect Egunje from hard working business men ..

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Dpeacemaker101: 8:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
I hope the government will regulate their charges too, cause na people like us go suffer am if they increase their charges.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 26, 2013
Rossikk: Let them move to Ghana. When they charge them there or their profits reduce due to low patronage, they can then move to Liberia, Sierra Leone or Togo. Worthless idio.ts.
Lmao

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by sCun: 12:41am On Sep 27, 2013
Suicide mission
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by manny4life(m): 1:15am On Sep 27, 2013
Moving to Ghana is just plain joke, they're already charging almost twice their counterparts in foreign countries for the same trip distance.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by talktimi(m): 2:00am On Sep 27, 2013
taharqa:

The new charges are only for Private Jets. And I honestly think the charges are on the high side. The Govt would do well to review it download
its for all airlines INCLUDING private jets
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Stunner1(f): 2:04am On Sep 27, 2013
dey cant o jare not wen dey r making billions of naira
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by fyneguy: 6:45am On Sep 27, 2013
If it only applies to private jet owners, well xxxx

However, some people's comments here show blind loyalty to govt. You say the airlines should relocate if they aint satisfied. Whereas, all the airlines need to do is pass the bill to the Nigerian passengers. We bear the brunt!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by FlyinNaija: 7:41am On Sep 27, 2013
Aviation in Nigeria is a big joke. There is no clear policy and those in charge have no clue on how to move the industry forward.

The Cost of doing business in Nigeria is prohibitive. That is why Nigerians pay some of the highest fares in the world. The ignorant are quick to blame the foreign airlines of racism and exploitation , but the blame lies with ridiculous policies like these. I am amazed by most of the daft comments made on this thread; guess who is going to pay for these fees? The passengers/ public, you dullards!
Nigeria has an aviation industry that is still in the infant stage, what is needed are policies that will boost the industry. How is this policy going to help our struggling airlines?

The "private jets" as the laymen call them are a source of income to the federal government. Majority of these jet are "business jets" owned by corporations and operated under strict budgets. It is not easy to own and operate these jets. Nigeria has the second fastest growing business aviation sector in the world. Instead of the government to encourage development, they consistently introduce new policies that make it harder and more expensive to operate. There has been a remarkable slow down in development in the business jet sector under the current minister. I score her 1/10 with regards to the business aviation sector. She was the laughing stock of the gallery at a recent interaction business aviation event. Majority of her policies are targeted at her political enemies.

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 27, 2013
ghana wey thier aiports dey empty like grave yards! Them go jones tire if they go there! Sha make them go so i go see space invest in d busines!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by ogedanny: 9:48am On Sep 27, 2013
Abeg we no want o!
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Crystalline(f): 9:54am On Sep 27, 2013
Is Ghana willing to accept you?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Okijajuju1(m): 9:54am On Sep 27, 2013
DANA must go... grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by bornagain1509(f): 9:55am On Sep 27, 2013
hmmmm
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by ddeola: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2013
And who is stopping them? Abeg the authorities should not allow anyone of them come back under whatever name if they go
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Segadem(m): 9:57am On Sep 27, 2013
greateros: ghana wey thier aiports dey empty like grave yards! Them go jones tire if they go there! Sha make them go so i go see space invest in d busines!
Let them go now,the whole population of Ghana is not up to two BIG CITIES in Naija (i mean Lagos and Ibadan).

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 27, 2013
Let them move to ghana. I will only need them when am going to obodo oyibo.
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Sunymoore(m): 10:00am On Sep 27, 2013
Abeg make dem go, cause I still remembered dana
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by adepojuot: 10:00am On Sep 27, 2013
May them go,ko kan aiye,London by road on my mind.
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by everyday: 10:02am On Sep 27, 2013
If the increase in charges will lead to meaningful development then no problem
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by lurvy: 10:04am On Sep 27, 2013
Re: Nigeria Airline Operators Threaten To Move To Ghana by Jglad(f): 10:05am On Sep 27, 2013
FlyinNaija: Aviation in Nigeria is a big joke. There is no clear policy and those in charge have no clue on how to move the industry forward.

The Cost of doing business in Nigeria is prohibitive. That is why Nigerians pay some of the highest fares in the world. The ignorant are quick to blame the foreign airlines of racism and exploitation , but the blame lies with ridiculous policies like these. I am amazed by most of the daft comments made on this thread; guess who is going to pay for these fees? The passengers/ public, you dullards!
Nigeria has an aviation industry that is still in the infant stage, what is needed are policies that will boost the industry. How is this policy going to help our struggling airlines?

The "private jets" as the laymen call them are a source of income to the federal government. Majority of these jet are "business jets" owned by corporations and operated under strict budgets. It is not easy to own and operate these jets. Nigeria has the second fastest growing business aviation sector in the world. Instead of the government to encourage development, they consistently introduce new policies that make it harder and more expensive to operate. There has been a remarkable slow down in development in the business jet sector under the current minister. I score her 1/10 with regards to the business aviation sector. She was the laughing stock of the gallery at a recent interaction business aviation event. Majority of her policies are targeted at her political enemies.
with all due respect,
u re right abt sum stuf bt i tink u nid 2 get ur facts ryt, NCAA is only tryin 2 protect us so dat only gud n competent airlines wil operate... Its jst lyk d rebrandin of banks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ambode’s Epe Division Monarchs Endorse Sanwo-olu, Advocate Continuity / Governor Umar Ganduje Speaks After Kano Rerun Election Victory / Governorship Ticket: Sanwo-Olu Rejects PDP's Offer - Gboyega Akosile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.