Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy (13041 Views)

Siasia And Super Eagles Training At Abuja Stadium (PICS) / Keshi Condemns Abuja Stadium Renovated Pitch / Abuja Stadium (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by philmimi1992(m): 9:22pm On Sep 26, 2013
The Abuja National Stadium re-grassing project is claimed to have cost the sum of 96 million naira according to the NSC

The National Sports Commission has revealed to the House of Representatives Committee on Sports that the amount of money coughed-out in re-grassing the Abuja National Stadium was 96 million Naira ($600,000).

Addressing the committee members, the Director of Finance and Administration in the Sports ministry, Alhaji Mustapha Mohammed declared that the sum was paid to Julius Berger, the contractor that replaced the grass on the football pitch.

“We spent N96 million to re-grass this pitch,” Mohammed told puzzled committee members while insisting that did not include the amount spent to commission the stadium that was once used to prosecute Super Eagles home matches.

In the same vein, chairman of the committee, Godfrey Ali Gaiya has refused to accept the amount spent because to him the job done is substandard.

“My God, how can you use N96million to re-grass a pitch, and this job was tested by nature right in our presence when it drizzled for few minutes and the whole place became water-logged, we have asked them to invite the contractors to come and do a good job.”

“My verdict is that I am not comfortable with the level of water logged on the pitch. I was in Calabar and it rained for three days non-stop before the match and you cannot compare Calabar that is in tropical environment to Abuja that is in the Savannah where rain is lighter.”

“So, if it rained in Calabar for three days when Nigeria played Malawi and I never saw anything like waterlogged spot, why should ordinary drizzling cause water ponds on the renovated Abuja pitch,” Gaiya asked.

“We don’t want to aggravate our mood further so we decided to be silent on that, but this is not good for our sport,” Gaiya fired back.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2013/09/26/4290996/abuja-stadium-re-grassing-causes-controversy
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Nobody: 9:30pm On Sep 26, 2013
What more could be the peak of corruption?
96Million Naira was assigned for this job, perhaps the middle men took half the money then paid Julius BERGER THE REMAINDER for them TO DO THE JOB.
CORRUPTION IS AN INDELIBLE MARK IN Nigeria.
I hate to say it.

5 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by donem: 9:51pm On Sep 26, 2013
“My verdict is that I am not
comfortable with the level of water logged on the
pitch. I was in Calabar and it rained for three days non-stop before the match
and you cannot compare Calabar that is in tropical environment to Abuja that is in the Savannah where rain is lighter
.”
“So, if it rained in Calabar for three days when Nigeria played Malawi andI
never saw anything like waterlogged spot,
why should ordinary drizzling cause water ponds on the renovated Abuja pitch,”Gaiya asked.

Very Nice point raised, in summary Corruption by the contract handlers.

4 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by deb(m): 7:56am On Sep 27, 2013
OK we have heard. So, who is going to jail now?
I think Nigeria is still a joke... Allegations upon allegations everyday but no one is being jailed

8 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by lifestyle1(m): 9:39am On Sep 27, 2013
undecided
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by 1bunne4lif(m): 9:39am On Sep 27, 2013
Ok
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by russianmob27: 9:39am On Sep 27, 2013
q
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Okijajuju1(m): 9:40am On Sep 27, 2013
WOW!!

96 million for grass wey dey grow for free for my backyard... shocked shocked

5 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Goldenheart(m): 9:41am On Sep 27, 2013
I smell a war coming... they Govt, are pushing the masses to the wall. anger is been fueled
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by devour129: 9:41am On Sep 27, 2013
Okija_juju: WOW!!

96 million for grass wey dey grow for free for my backyard... shocked shocked
no be small thing
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 27, 2013
Hmm... 96million!!!
Me i dey supply grass o,if Gaiya needs it
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by 2sureguy1(m): 9:42am On Sep 27, 2013
9ja go beta
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by fingard02k(m): 9:42am On Sep 27, 2013
national squander...hope the they will leave some for future generation to loot too?
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by obicentlis: 9:42am On Sep 27, 2013
Nothing will Come out of the presuppose probe.

#Teamfreshair#

2 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Licensed2Kill(m): 9:42am On Sep 27, 2013
We indeed have money in this country. . .it's just not been spent in the right ways

2 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by kingarizona(m): 9:43am On Sep 27, 2013
96 MILLION

Is the grass a carpet grass like in EUROPE?

undecided undecided undecided
Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by hypergig(m): 9:43am On Sep 27, 2013
Abeg wetin julius berger no dey do, dey dey do roads, bridges, regrassing of futball pitches, dredging abeg na only dem dey..

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by bornagain1509(f): 9:44am On Sep 27, 2013
Daylight robbery.

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by gbokukueba(m): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2013
i dont understand this country... to refurbish things is like buying or building newly its every facet of life, stadium, roads, building... we are a really morally bankrupt nation...

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by kagari: 9:47am On Sep 27, 2013
Wow, neva knew it cost dat much to grow grasses,

mayb i would stop growing cassava's and start growing grass

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 27, 2013
And WTF are y'all going to do about it? grin grin grin yea. nothing.. cool

5 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by sambos994(m): 9:54am On Sep 27, 2013
Blah, blah, blah. Talk and complain all you want. The question is what are you going to do about it?

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by TheMatrix3: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2013
Have you ever been told to give account for some official money you squandered? well, when the money still doesnt add up, you just add figures to any part you feel u cant get away with. Too bad he didnt get away with this. Engineering work no dey lie, if u build fake bridge, it'll only take time b4 you're exposed. $96m my nsayh

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Systeme101: 9:58am On Sep 27, 2013
Breakdwn;
6million 4 grass
90 million 4 flexing
Total=96million

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by nerodenero: 10:00am On Sep 27, 2013
sambos994: Blah, blah, blah. Talk and complain all you want. The question is what are you going to do about it?
That is the major problem.I dont know when we will get it right in this country.

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by amobii: 10:00am On Sep 27, 2013
If the stadium was built with N35 billion, and now regrassing for N96 million, they need a further probe. What happen to yearly maintenance budget for the stadium and the idea of awarding every dick and harry contract to Julius Berger is uncall for, i think that company (JB) is aiding corruption in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Justiceotuya(m): 10:03am On Sep 27, 2013
manchester united used 500000 pounds which is equivalent to 100million to renovate their own pitch. my take is that 96mill is not too much. but how much of that money that reaches the hands of the contractors depends on how quality the work will be. in this case the 96mill is too much for a pitch that I'll still be water logged. www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/man-utd/news/man-utd-to-spend-gbp500k-on-new-pitch_73945.html

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by bomboyi(m): 10:04am On Sep 27, 2013
Read this article,the stadium needed 30 million naira last year. How come they spent 90 million this year. Those it mean that we have 200% inflation?
http://www.nigeriadailynews.com/sports/38988-arsenal-postpone-pre-season-tour-of-nigeria.html

3 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Willgates(m): 10:05am On Sep 27, 2013
92mills for common grass? when I need just 3million naira to succeed? God purnish poverty!

#MKPO ABA O

2 Likes

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by temi2013(m): 10:05am On Sep 27, 2013
NAWA O. It is going to be well with Nigeria

1 Like

Re: N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 27, 2013
Justiceotuya: manchester united used 500000 pounds which is equivalent to 100million to renovate their own pitch. my take is that 96mill is not too much. but how much of that money that reaches the hands of the contractors depends on how quality the work will be. in this case the 96mill is too much for a pitch that I'll still be water logged. www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/man-utd/news/man-utd-to-spend-gbp500k-on-new-pitch_73945.html

The second sensible person.
The MOD that hid my post is mad o. You are crazy, what was wrong with my post. Bloody hypocrites angry . Its not ur fault, I blame ASUU, useless idiotas.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iwobi: I Almost Cried Scoring Against Zambia. / Ex-Enyimba Goalkeeper, Chinedu Agwu Dies / 2017 World English-Language Scrabble Championship Holding In Nairobi, Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.