Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,248 members, 7,807,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

THE ALTERCATION - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE ALTERCATION (2080 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 12:35am On Sep 27, 2013
This is the third time he's warned her. Its in her nature to be stubborn. She whisks her behind and fires a final salvo before walking away...
"Get angry all you like...I don't care!"
He watches her leave, perspiration drenching his face, his hands trembling in suppressed rage. He wrenches the thought of throwing the glass cup in his hand at her head away from his mind. He takes a few deep breaths and tries to calm down. His little girl, too small to understand what is going on between her parents, giggles and makes a grab for his phone. It's a Samsung galaxy s3 with HSDPA network, corning Gorilla glass touchscreen with an Exynos chip set. The pride of the family. And only 2days old. He yanks it away from her as she squeals in indignation and places it on his left. He remains calmly in his seat thinking of what to do next when his wife returns, a bowl of frozen porridge in her hand. She slams it down on the table.
"Eat sir! Eat your precious food and let me rest!"
He starts to say something, how he's had a hard day at work, how his boss has been haggling him, the new target he has to meet, anything to diffuse the situation, anything. She rolls her eyes in disdain and turns her back. He shouts at her to look at him...and neither of them notices that baby has gotten a hold of the phone.
Baby follows the normal baby rule. If it can't be eaten, it should be broken. As she smashes it on the concrete floor she gurgles in delight. The crunching noise isn't loud, but it cuts through the house like a gunshot. He jumps up and violently pulls the pieces away from baby, upsetting his lunch and staining his silk red tie in the process. She turns around and seeing the carnage, pulls the now crying baby into her arms. He's speechless with shock. He holds the phone in his hands, his mind in turmoil. From far away he hears her voice:
"It's just a stupid phone! I don't know why you cannot keep your things safely! Buy another..."
He doesn't remember screaming. He doesn't remember punching her hard in the face. He doesn't know how or when baby was thrown to the floor, if his wife ran into the kitchen to grab a knife or if she had been holding it in her hand the whole time. He vaguely remembers a scuffle, sustaining cuts on his arm, wrestling the knife from her hands and his wife falling to her knees, her chest stained with blood. Baby isn't even crying, just watching with a macabre interest as he plunges the knife deep into her chest again and again. He remembers holding his right hand with his left to finally stop that downward motion. It is as if the whole world has gone quiet. He sits on the floor and observes her body. She remains still and finally silent.
He sighs resignedly to himself and brings out the other phone from his pocket. Its an old reliable. A Nokia. He calls his brother.
"Hey. Would u mind taking care of baby? How long? I dunno, might be a while. Maybe forever. No I'm not joking...just promise me you'll take care of her...OK? Thanks bros. Yeah, everything is fine. Come over as soon as you can OK? No...no emergency. Just come over."
Baby has siddled up to him. She looks up at him and he smiles back. He notices blood gushing down his neck for the first time. He uses his last energy and credit to call the next door neighbor. He stays awake till he hears the neighbor opening the door. Then he slips into the void even as the last drops of blood oozes from his lacerated neck.
The demon turns to his apprentice. "And all I had to do was make sure she didn't prepare his meal on time! Ain't I a stinker?"

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 27, 2013
Royver: This is the third time he's warned her. Its in her nature to be stubborn. She whisks her behind and fires a final salvo before walking away...
"Get angry all you like...I don't care!"
He watches her leave, perspiration drenching his face, his hands trembling in suppressed rage. He wrenches the thought of throwing the glass cup in his hand at her head away from his mind. He takes a few deep breaths and tries to calm down. His little girl, too small to understand what is going on between her parents, giggles and makes a grab for his phone. It's a Samsung galaxy s3 with HSDPA network, corning Gorilla glass touchscreen with an Exynos chip set. The pride of the family. And only 2days old. He yanks it away from her as she squeals in indignation and places it on his left. He remains calmly in his seat thinking of what to do next when his wife returns, a bowl of frozen porridge in her hand. She slams it down on the table.
"Eat sir! Eat your precious food and let me rest!"
He starts to say something, how he's had a hard day at work, how his boss has been haggling him, the new target he has to meet, anything to diffuse the situation, anything. She rolls her eyes in disdain and turns her back. He shouts at her to look at him...and neither of them notices that baby has gotten a hold of the phone.
Baby follows the normal baby rule. If it can't be eaten, it should be broken. As she smashes it on the concrete floor she gurgles in delight. The crunching noise isn't loud, but it cuts through the house like a gunshot. He jumps up and violently pulls the pieces away from baby, upsetting his lunch and staining his silk red tie in the process. She turns around and seeing the carnage, pulls the now crying baby into her arms. He's speechless with shock. He holds the phone in his hands, his mind in turmoil. From far away he hears her voice:
"It's just a stupid phone! I don't know why you cannot keep your things safely! Buy another..."
He doesn't remember screaming. He doesn't remember punching her hard in the face. He doesn't know how or when baby was thrown to the floor, if his wife ran into the kitchen to grab a knife or if she had been holding it in her hand the whole time. He vaguely remembers a scuffle, sustaining cuts on his arm, wrestling the knife from her hands and his wife falling to her knees, her chest stained with blood. Baby isn't even crying, just watching with a macabre interest as he plunges the knife deep into her chest again and again. He remembers holding his right hand with his left to finally stop that downward motion. It is as if the whole world has gone quiet. He sits on the floor and observes her body. She remains still and finally silent.
He sighs resignedly to himself and brings out the other phone from his pocket. Its an old reliable. A Nokia. He calls his brother.
"Hey. Would u mind taking care of baby? How long? I dunno, might be a while. Maybe forever. No I'm not joking...just promise me you'll take care of her...OK? Thanks bros. Yeah, everything is fine. Come over as soon as you can OK? No...no emergency. Just come over."
Baby has siddled up to him. She looks up at him and he smiles back. He notices blood gushing down his neck for the first time. He uses his last energy and credit to call the next door neighbor. He stays awake till he hears the neighbor opening the door. Then he slips into the void even as the last drops of blood oozes from his lacerated neck.
The demon turns to his apprentice. "And all I had to do was make sure she didn't prepare his meal on time! Ain't I a stinker?"
but Bro.when i was calling for christain writers,where were you...this story is too good to end like this we must make it continue
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 11:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
@Divepen lol! no mind me, just becoming a full member of nairaland recently. Is the vacancy still available? smiley
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Nobody: 1:54am On Sep 28, 2013
Royver: @Divepen lol! no mind me, just becoming a full member of nairaland recently. Is the vacancy still available? smiley
the vacancy dey oooo...you are the first christain writer i am seeing here...
Is this where the story end...
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
Royver puts pen to paper nd writes pure gold...Abeg ur stories r too gud fr u 2 leave hanging ooo
Keep up with d good work broda

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by Taiye4Christ(m): 1:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
hmmm... can this be developed into something much bigger? nice work btw

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 11:13pm On Dec 16, 2013
Its been two months since they've had sex. She dwells on that thought with trepidation. Her once randy husband who couldn't keep his hands off her had suddenly turned cold. Was it her fault that she had gotten a new and better paying job? She really wanted to help out, being a full time housewife was a bygone trend as far as she was concerned. No more asking for money for the littlest of things, no more worrying about what to do if he travelled, or disappeared or worse. Now she was her own woman! Now she could contribute to the upkeep of the house, buy the kids fine clothes, even buy him that nice shirt she had been eyeing at the boutique since July. There were so many advantages to her having this job...

So why had he turned cold?

Alright, so maybe she hadn't told him about the interview. Maybe she hadn't asked his permission before undertaking this venture, but it had yielded good fruit hadn't it? Two months on and they were no longer feeding from hand to mouth. Soon they would even be able to afford the car they had been planning on buying in 3years, instead of the old Mazda 2001 model they were managing now. That car had seen better days. The left indicator light kept falling off and there was a mysterious hole in the engine from which oil perpetually leaked out. There was even a running contest among the local mechanics that anyone who successfully found and plugged that hole would be given a free lunch at the restaurant of thier choice. They had all tried and failed at the end. The old Mazda had instead bought them familiarity among the local folk.

No more embarrassment, no more jokes about helping to push them to their destination in their wheelbarrow, no more hiding the car at the far end of the park when going out to a function. Their lives were going to change for the better very soon and her husband was sulking!

She pondered on all of this as she drove home from work. She had left early because her boss had called a half day at the behest of a special foreign visitor. Something about a Norwegian Holiday. She didn't really care, she just wanted to go home and sort her family out, her man out. As she passed through challenge road, she came across the new Heritage shopping mall and had an idea. She would surprise him with the shirt tonight! She had planned to wait until Christmas but she could get him something else then. She quickly made a detour, ran into the pick n pay shop and got the shirt. It was a pink and red long sleeved Arthur Danan shirt, for sale at N18,000. She used her ATM and the pretty sales lady wrapped it up for her. She was about leaving when she passed by the frozen food section. Might as well get something for dinner, she thought and bought a huge slab of frozen meat. She hurried back to her car, in high spirits , and headed determinedly for home. She would make things right. She would cook him a wonderful dinner and wear that her special red see-through pajamas. They were old, but he loved them so much. She smiled as she thought of all the lack of sleep she was going to subject him to this night.

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by DEllaluv(f): 11:23pm On Dec 16, 2013
Are u typing,Roy
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 11:52pm On Dec 16, 2013
As soon as the maiguard opened the gate for her to drive in, she knew something was wrong. Old musa didn't greet her in his usual jovial manner and kept on making furtive glances at the front door. She asked him what was wrong and he gave a very big and fake smile.
"Nuttin madam" he said. And she watched as his fingers began to shake.
She parked the car in the garage and came out, holding her precious gifts. She walked down to the front door and she heard a small voice in her head telling her not to enter, not to go in, the house was hers and she could come back to it anytime she wanted but for now she could just drive round the street a couple of times before coming back in so as to allow...
So as to allow what?
She held firmly to her gift with her right hand as she placed her left hand on her chest to still her beating heart. The house seemed to repel her, as if trying to create a force field to stop her from entering. She had seen this all in the movies but still she had the compelling need to act it out. So she walked in the front door which had been left ajar. She ignored the high heeled blue shoes scattered in the corner, ignored the sweet smell of a foreign perfume and the sounds of pleasure coming from the bedroom as her feet moved automatically, and her eyes feasted on the sight. They hadn't even bothered to close the bedroom door. She watched the perfect rhythm of the gyrating dance of passion and for a moment was curious as to how the strange woman on her bed could be so flexible. Her husband gasped in pleasure somewhere beneath the covers and that brought her out of her reviere. The strange woman laughed and arched her back backwards, exposing large breasts and pointed nipples. And then she saw her observer and screamed. Jumping off her husband the strange woman went on her knees and assumed a pleading position. It was kemi, her next door neighbor and bossom friend. Her husband sat up quickly and put on an obstinate face.

An obstinate face...

An obstinate face...

She would have forgiven him. Right there and then she would have been prepared to listen to any lie or plea, anything but justification. Unfortunately that obstinate face did not go with any plea, the look instead churning up a sea of revulsion and fury from her soul.

"Madam, welcome oh." He said. He licked his lips and held kemi's hand roughly as the latter attempted to make a run for it. She watched all this dazed.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because you are too proud!" He retorted. "Who gave you permission to look for a job? How did you get a job that pays more than mine does? Are you going to deny that you slept with your new boss to get it? Are you?! I heard you making those funny calls last night! I heard you mention hotel, booking a room, keeping the place a secret! You think you are smart shebi?"

She found her voice "but...but they were calls for the arrangements we were making for our foreign client! He wanted a place to stay while in town, a place where he felt he would be safe and secret enough not to attract unwanted attention to his person..."

He laughed unkindly. "Lies. Lies! I knew this new job would get to your head! Now you think you are bigger than me, smarter right? Well kemi has been dying for me since our wedding and I decided to let her taste what you have been enjoying just as you let your boss..."

She didn't know when she made the decision to shut him up. Maybe it was because he was accusing her falsely or maybe it was the smug look he had on his face the whole time. Not an iota of penance. The next thing she knew she had rushed to the bed and clubbed him with the bag of iced meat. It made a dull "clunk" as it connected squarely with his head. She hit him again, jaw clenched in anger and this time his skull gave way. White liquid oozed out as kemi resumed her screaming and freeing herself from the dead man's grasp, bolted from the room, stark nakked. She watched as her husbands brain continued to ooze unto his forehead and down to his chest and strangely felt...nothing. As kemi began to raise an alarm outside she brought out the parcel containing the shirt and kept it beside her husband. Then she went into the kitchen.

The mob that came later found her cooking quietly in the kitchen, a pot of beef stew garnished with onions.

"Are you taking notes, my young apprentice?" The demon said as they watched the mob carry the insane housewife away. The apprentice nodded.
"Its all about trust, you see." He said, shaking his head and smiling gently. "Trust and openness is very necessary in a relationship. Its one of the first things you have to break. It allows you to penetrate thier thoughts with doubt and wrongful conclusions. The lack of it prevents them from discussing their problems in the open like they should. The lack of it ensures that they make the wrong assumptions. Then pride and jealousy comes in and before you know it...poof. Everything is shot to hell." He laughed at his own joke. "Get it? Hell? Where they'll go?"
The apprentice looked at him sourly and the demon shook his head. The new recruits nowadays were so humourless.

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 12:07am On Dec 17, 2013
D.Ella.luv:
Are u typing,Roy
Aaaarrrghhh! You caught me. embarassed

Hey, don't you ever go to sleep? undecided
Re: THE ALTERCATION by DEllaluv(f): 4:51am On Dec 17, 2013
Royver:
Aaaarrrghhh! You caught me. embarassed

Hey, don't you ever go to sleep? undecided

wink

and d story s coooollll
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 7:12am On Dec 17, 2013
Thanks!

Meanwhile, this nairaland auto-editor sha... u mean i cant write bosom and Tips?
Re: THE ALTERCATION by DEllaluv(f): 8:04am On Dec 17, 2013
E tire me sef,dia r many tns ppl cnt write here,dey keep editin
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Taiye4Christ(m): 9:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
i love this! whether we choose to admit it or not, it's the 'little' things that matter the most. thank you, roy.

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 9:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
Taiye4Christ: i love this! whether we choose to admit it or not, it's the 'little' things that matter the most. thank you, roy.
You are welcome smiley
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Nobody: 4:03am On Dec 19, 2013
embarassed embarassed Royver, I don't know why I'm blushing sef.
I'm loving this kiss
Re: THE ALTERCATION by missterious(f): 4:39am On Dec 19, 2013
Wow! Royver, this is beautiful. How do you do it? Taiye, thanks for leading me here. smiley
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 5:07am On Dec 19, 2013
mZ sleeq: embarassed embarassed Royver, I don't know why I'm blushing sef.
I'm loving this kiss
coolthanks!
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 5:09am On Dec 19, 2013
miss.terious:
Wow! Royver, this is beautiful. How do you do it? Taiye, thanks for leading me here. smiley
Glad u like it smiley

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by MumZ(f): 10:52am On Dec 19, 2013
I see d name "Royver", and my heartbeat increases wit d anticipation of wat he has written 2 blow us away. Tanks guy, u r 2 gd. May we nt b misled by d devil.
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2013
Mum Z :
I see d name "Royver", and my heartbeat increases wit d anticipation of wat he has written 2 blow us away. Tanks guy, u r 2 gd. May we nt b misled by d devil.

Amen. Thanks!
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Taiye4Christ(m): 3:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
miss.terious:

you are welcome

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by Taiye4Christ(m): 3:14pm On Dec 19, 2013
Royver:

ermm... more, please
Re: THE ALTERCATION by MsSpaqs(f): 5:32pm On Dec 19, 2013
Following
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Royver(m): 8:39pm On Aug 19, 2014
Taiye4Christ:

ermm... more, please
Coming up!
Re: THE ALTERCATION by alizenbohr: 11:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
Royver:
Coming up!

Bros, I dey your back...
even for this resurrection.

1 Like

Re: THE ALTERCATION by lenmafon: 6:31am On Aug 21, 2014
[color=#770077][/color] pls dearest royver dis so as to remind u that this story can't and shouldn't end like this. just try and or wait o! did nl rapture wipe them out? u re really gud at ur stories. ve been following as a guest till now. more strength 2 ur writing and typing elbow and imaginative oil 2 ur story tank. smiley
Re: THE ALTERCATION by fhunn: 12:28am On Oct 29, 2014
E don teh wey i dey dis busstop(thread) and bus(updates) neva con carry me reach ma destination(end of the story)
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Writeditor: 11:34am On Nov 03, 2014
Waoh! This is what I'm talking about. Powerful, punchy writing. A few words out of place, a few punctuation issues, but good, good writing.
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Fatalveli(m): 11:58am On Nov 03, 2014
Royver! U are da bomb! #following#
Re: THE ALTERCATION by Dyoungstar: 11:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
I am watching in 7D lenses

(1) (Reply)

My Warri Boyfriend-a Short Story / Story: The Devil Who Loved Me [episode 1] / Crime Thriller E-books Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.