Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Is Manchester United A Champion With A Loser's Mentality? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Is Manchester United A Champion With A Loser's Mentality? (616 Views)

It Is Manchester United's League To Lose / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Champion's League Final: AC Milan Versus Liverpool (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Manchester United A Champion With A Loser's Mentality? by Slyr0x: 11:22am On Sep 27, 2013
During the transfer window, a lot of eyes were casted on Old Trafford, everyone waiting for the Red Devils to make a marquee signing or two before deadline day. The truth is, never had so much attention been drawn to the reigning premier league champions during a window like the last one.

You ask yourself why? After all this is the same team that blew away all competitions in the league just back in May. If you are one of those who believe United's match to the title last season was down to the fact that most of their rivals were quite poor over the 8-month period, I will like to point out to you that this was the same team that ran Manchester City close the season before. In general, the present crop of Man-Utd players have either been champions or runners-up in the past three seasons.

So again I ask why? Why did United need to improve so bad? Why did they need to openly court players of other clubs? People complain about how poor the midfield is, but nothing has changed in-terms of midfield players in the last three seasons, so why is it so important now?

Well after watching United get thrashed by Manchester City today (Sunday), I finally got my answer, although all these players at United are winners, most of them are average, so the only logical conclusion is that, these average players are winners because somebody, somehow, made them believe in themselves; and that somebody is SIR ALEX FERGUSON.

A lot of you might see me as unfair for judging based on a single game, but I write this article with a deep sense of concern for the biggest football brand in England, and the second biggest in the world; Manchester United. So please follow me.

When Fergie chose David Moyes to succeed him, a lot of people were sceptical, myself included, but in my true nature, I opted to wait before passing my assessment on the 50-year-old Scot, and after six games (UCL included), I think I have seen enough to pass a fair judgement (if I can use that word).

David Moyes is a Loser!!! Losing is not all about not winning, NO! Losing is a state of mind.

Take Marcelo Bielsa for example, he never won anything in Europe, but why is he one the coaches Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola respects a lot? Same applies to Manuel Pellegrini, he is still to win any trophy in Europe, but he has Real Madrid and now Manchester City on his CV.

These managers might have not won anything, but they are winners because they set out to win. Athletic Bilbao played one of the most attractive football in Europe when Bielsa was in-charge (they even out-played Man-Utd in the 2012 Europa League quarter-final), so also did Madrid during Pellegrini's tenure. It was down to Barcelona's greatness during the former River Plate manager's time at Bernabeu, that prevented him from winning titles in Spain, as he ran them close all season.

What am I saying? It is simple, you are a winner when winning is the only thing you set out to do. Even if you fail, you still are a winner, because that mentality will never leave.

That is one skill SAF had; to make average players win because he was a winner, he obviously didn't always win, but he will make you believe that winning is possible.

In United's three big games so far this season, against Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester City, David Moyes' initial thought was to avoid defeat. Even against Liverpool and Chelsea where little risk, tactical adventure might have done good, the manager chose to be conservative.

Who will blame him? Definitely not me, because you can't give what you don't have. At his former club Everton, gaining a point at home to Chelsea, losing by a single goal away at Liverpool, and being hammered away by Manchester City, would have been seen as a tremendous, and an okay result respectively.

His substitutions against City confirms it all, why he decided to bring in an average, not too attacking midfielder Thomas Cleverly, while he had a Kagawa and Nani on the bench when the team was 4-0 down, we will never know for now. But one thing it shouts is that the coach is scared to lose. We have seen United come back from 3 down to win against Spurs at Old Trafford in 2009, so locking up shop with 35 minutes left after City scored their fourth, is an indicator that Moyes does not have the stomach for the normal United comeback ability.

So how do you expect such a man to motivate a team to win? How do you expect a manager who for the past 11 years have been judged by surviving in the league to lead a bunch of average players (take away Rooney, RVP, Kagawa and De Gea) to the title?

Now you see why United fans payed more attention to the clubs dealings in this window than any other, because they are aware that a team need winners to succeed. So if you have a losing coach, you need winning players.

A winning mentality is like a talent, you are born with it,and it develops as you increase in life.

Although they are the champions of England, Manchester United lack that fire in their belly, that believe that all is possible, that Fergie thing, that Winning mentality, and that is unfortunately something Moyes cannot give because he does not have it.

- Rahman Suleman

http://234sports.com/soccer/united-a-champion-with-a-losers-mentality.html

(1) (Reply)

Who Amongst These Is Your Best / How Guus Hiddink Has Turned Chelsea's Season Around / Euro2016: Germany Vs Italy Today At 8pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.