Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,437 members, 7,801,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? (809 Views)

Should Students Be Paying Tithes. / Benefits Of Paying Tithes / Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 27, 2013
I have noted with dismay that most Nigerians value tithe more than tax. Tax should be the premier social responsibility for a very citizen, even the bible asked us to give to caesar what is due to him and do same to God.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by georjay(m): 1:37pm On Sep 27, 2013
simply because i don't get any returns on the tax have been paying, but any month i pay tithe i always reap bountifully,,,,so for me daz d ish...i pay tax pay tax...them no extend development to my side...i be mugu ni....we go rough am ni

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Oahray: 4:50pm On Sep 27, 2013
Because most 'church-goers' are very greedy and selfish, and only give because their pastors tell them that is their only gateway to material prosperity. They only profess to follow Jesus too.

Well... The government does not promise any personal reward for paying taxes.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Mudley313: 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
fvcked up priorities
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by MrTroll(m): 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2013
The threat of the consequences of not paying tithe is greater than that of tax.

The promised reward of paying tithe is greater than that of tax.

So you see. . . They are putting their money where their mouth is. Never mind the fraud and illegality involved wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by plaetton: 5:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
georjay: simply because i don't get any returns on the tax have been paying, but any month i pay tithe i always reap bountifully,,,,so for me daz d ish...i pay tax pay tax...them no extend development to my side...i be mugu ni....we go rough am ni

So tithe is Juju?
Why do we still have a lot of poor Nigerians then?
Infact, the poor are in greater numbers than they have ever been in Nigerian History.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by plaetton: 5:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
Oahray: Because most 'church-goers' are very greedy and selfish, and only give because their pastors tell them that is their only gateway to material prosperity. They only profess to follow Jesus too.

Well... The government does not promise any personal reward for paying taxes.

Exactly.

Nigerians are juju addicts.
We are addicted to anything that promises supernatural this or supernatural that.

It seems that our minds are not wired for rational thinking.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by plaetton: 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mr Troll: The threat of the consequences of not paying tithe is greater than that of tax.

The promised reward of paying tithe is greater than that of tax.

So you see. . . They are putting their money where their mouth is. Never mind the fraud and illegality involved wink

Yeah. Talk about self-deceit.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Mickeywilliams(m): 5:10pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ah won hammer so ah pay ma tithes..lolx
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by PastorKun(m): 6:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
Cajetan speaks: I have noted with dismay that most Nigerians value tithe more than tax. Tax should be the premier social responsibility for a very citizen, even the bible asked us to give to caesar what is due to him and do same to God.

And you beginning to wonder why our country is so underdeveloped and backward.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by PastorKun(m): 6:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
georjay: simply because i don't get any returns on the tax have been paying, but any month i pay tithe i always reap bountifully,,,,so for me daz d ish...i pay tax pay tax...them no extend development to my side...i be mugu ni....we go rough am ni

Can you give us details of this bountiful harvest you reap when you tithe?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 27, 2013
From the responses here, I can deduce that most Nigerians have been brainwashed by wealth seeking pastors.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by PastorKun(m): 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
Cajetan speaks: From the responses here, I can deduce that most Nigerians have been brainwashed by wealth seeking pastors.

Brainwash is an understatement, they are actually brain dead.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by tobechi74: 11:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
Tithe is 10percent

tax is more than ten percent

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:05am On Sep 28, 2013
Pastor Kun:

And you beginning to wonder why our country is so underdeveloped and backward.

"Render therefore to Caesar the things which be of Caesar's, and to God the things which be God's"

Tax belong to Caesar while Tithes belong to God, no?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Zeebah23(f): 7:54am On Sep 28, 2013
Because they do not want their names to appear on this.

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Oahray: 8:03am On Sep 28, 2013
^^ lol... Dayuum!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 28, 2013
Cajetan speaks: I have noted with dismay that most Nigerians value tithe more than tax. Tax should be the premier social responsibility for a very citizen, even the bible asked us to give to caesar what is due to him and do same to God.

Hi Caj,

First of, I don't believe the bold is accurate. If we can place some level of reliance on the demographics here then it would be proper to say that majority of Nigerians do not believe in paying tithes and as such your claim of a 'majority' is less than accurate.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by MrTroll(m): 9:57am On Sep 28, 2013
striktlymi:

Hi Caj,

First of, I don't believe the bold is accurate. If we can place some level of reliance on the demographics here then it would be proper to say that majority of Nigerians do not believe in paying tithes and as such your claim of a 'majority' is less than accurate.
surely, you understand that he meant most christians na.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: surely, you understand that he meant most christians na.

Probably what he meant but can we say for sure that majority of Christians believe in the tithe thingy? At least I know that the Catholic church does not make tithing mandatory for anyone.

Anyways, I believe that a lot of Nigerians are sceptical about paying taxes because a number of our politicians consider the 'National treasury' to be their personal bank accounts.

Hence there is a disconnect between the level of moneys generated through tax collection and the level of infrastructural development. I believe firmly that some Nigerians will be glad to pay their taxes when the Government demonstrates some level of maturity and accountability.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by MrTroll(m): 3:22pm On Sep 28, 2013
striktlymi:

Probably what he meant but can we say for sure that majority of Christians believe in the tithe thingy? At least I know that the Catholic church does not make tithing mandatory for anyone.

Anyways, I believe that a lot of Nigerians are sceptical about paying taxes because a number of our politicians consider the 'National treasury' to be their personal bank accounts.

Hence there is a disconnect between the level of moneys generated through tax collection and the level of infrastructural development. I believe firmly that some Nigerians will be glad to pay their taxes when the Government demonstrates some level of maturity and accountability.
you may be right but on the other hand, of what benefit is paying tithe? Except to enrich the 'tithee' cheesy
all those supernatural increase being promised are hogwash and cannot be proven to actually happen. Heck! You can still be rich whether or not you pay tithe and if really tithing is all that then Nigerians should produce the highest number of rich people at least in africa. The reality is that it is just a fraud that only goes to enrich the pastors while all they give back are fake ass promises whose veracity cannot be ascertained.
We are too lazy and we just expect magic to happen all the time. The pastors know this and will always capitalise on this to rob us. . .
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: you may be right but on the other hand, of what benefit is paying tithe? Except to enrich the 'tithee' cheesy
all those supernatural increase being promised are hogwash and cannot be proven to actually happen. Heck! You can still be rich whether or not you pay tithe and if really tithing is all that then Nigerians should produce the highest number of rich people at least in africa. The reality is that it is just a fraud that only goes to enrich the pastors while all they give back are fake ass promises whose veracity cannot be ascertained.
We are too lazy and we just expect magic to happen all the time. The pastors know this and will always capitalise on this to rob us. . .

To a large extent you are right. Tithing for riches leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. I don't believe anyone should pay tithe because he or she wants to be rich. If this is the reason why some perform the act then they would be better of investing their hard earned money on a 'profitable' venture.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by MrTroll(m): 9:33pm On Sep 28, 2013
striktlymi:

To a large extent you are right. Tithing for riches leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. I don't believe anyone should pay tithe because he or she wants to be rich. If this is the reason why some perform the act then they would be better of investing their hard earned money on a 'profitable' venture.
Hear their testimonies and you'd see what i'm saying. People just like to be deceived.angry
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mr Troll: Hear their testimonies and you'd see what i'm saying. People just like to be deceived.angry

Lol!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by UyiIredia(m): 11:56pm On Sep 28, 2013
So bad. People actually think taxes don't develop and think that prayers will solve Naija's problem if they continue thinking this way. SMH.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Prefer Paying Tithes To Taxes? by Goshen360(m): 12:33am On Sep 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia: So bad. People actually think taxes don't develop and think that prayers will solve Naija's problem if they continue thinking this way. SMH.

I weep for the motherland. Really SMH!!!

(1) (Reply)

David Didnt Kill Goliath / Are The 'wise Men' From The East Igbos? / The Name More Powerful Than Ebola!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.