Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? (41692 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by quin9(f): 6:14pm On Sep 28, 2013
So I got banned just for posting colours in my language That's all I did and got banned for 24hours!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Tyraveee(f): 6:17pm On Sep 28, 2013
;Dlolz lemme try,red in ibibio is ndadndad!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by daclint(m): 7:30pm On Sep 28, 2013
ok, correct Igbo man don show
Red obara obara
black oji
yellow edo edo
blue eligwe
white ocha
green akwukwo ndu akwukwo ndu
gray ....i don try abeg make another person try
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by linearity: 9:33pm On Sep 28, 2013
Annie2gud: Lol...this must be very tasking.However let me try.The isokos calls Red..(iredi)blue(i blue)white(ofua fon)the rest i dnt know how to put them to writing.Lolz almost Bit my Tongue.

I think you only got the White right...The Isokos have vernacular for the three basic colors we identify with...White is Ofuafo, Red is Owawa & Black is Obiebi....after that we became very lazy and start using the English derivatives like iblue or eblue for Blues, etc...
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by linearity: 9:35pm On Sep 28, 2013
deejay_harry1: WHITE-OCHA

BLACK-OJI

RED- OBARA

IGBO..

ALL I KNOW

Are you sure the 'Obara' is not just a derivative for blood and since blood is red people just identify with that color?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by somegirl1: 10:32pm On Sep 28, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
Red - ododo
white - ofefe/ochan
black - oji
brown - ufie
all in Ika language

That's Igbo

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by somegirl1: 10:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
Muh: In Ebira
White-Ovuovu
Black- Ojioji
Red- Ovivi
Orange- Oromi

Evestar200: obara na blood while owaware na RED

Blood is obara in Urhobo too? interesting.....
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by somegirl1: 10:46pm On Sep 28, 2013
Yujin:
Off topic,
I'm curious about the Ebira language. This colour black (Oji-oji) and Orange (Oromi) is similar to same in Igbo language. I also noticed that the Ebira though not sharing any boundary with Igboland use the word 'Onye' e.g Onyeiza among others, although the 'onye' in Ebira may not mean thesame as that in Igbo. Another similarity is the fair complexion I noticed. Could their be any explanation by an Ebira person.
#Idontwishtodivertthetopic#
Thanks

Never knew this....
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Revolva(m): 1:22am On Sep 29, 2013
Streets Language...

Red -Eje or blood
Orange - sweet
Yellow - Onyibo
Green - Money or weed
Blue - serenre
Purple - Olowo
Pink - Ashewo
Brown - dirty
Black - baddo
Grey - gay
White - holy holy or 50Naira

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Lakayanah: 9:40am On Sep 29, 2013
Izon people una fall my hand o not even a colour in Izon. At least I know 3 White -pina pina Red-kwekwe Black Drimu. Please Izon people out there add some more we should not be ashamed.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Fulaman198(m): 2:43pm On Sep 29, 2013
quin9: So I got banned just for posting colours in my language That's all I did and got banned for 24hours!

Who banned you? No one was banned to my knowledge
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by quin9(f): 11:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
Was banned by the AntiSpam,reason?i don't know!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by bokohalal(m): 2:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
Fulaman198:

Who banned you? No one was banned to my knowledge
Cannot find my posting.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Fulaman198(m): 2:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
bokohalal:
Cannot find my posting.

It was hidden because we would like for you to please give us the colours in your native Bini tongue instead of discussing its relation to the Portuguese language my friend. We just are trying to prevent the thread from being derailed.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by bokohalal(m): 6:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
Your reply is absurd.Modern Binis do not call blood the Edoid 'obara' but the Portuguese word for blood and you hid it? How is that derailment when red/blood was being discussed?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Fulaman198(m): 8:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
bokohalal: Your reply is absurd.Modern Binis do not call blood the Edoid 'obara' but the Portuguese word for blood and you hid it? How is that derailment when red/blood was being discussed?

Because we all that blood is red, but we are not talking about blood which may be 'obara' in your language. We are talking about what the colours are in your language.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by bokohalal(m): 10:49pm On Sep 30, 2013
Fulaman198:

Because we all that blood is red, but we are not talking about blood which may be 'obara' in your language. We are talking about what the colours are in your language.

Fulaman, you have failed. Let me ,or anyone else, reach a conclusion before you wield your e-power.
Now, the Bini word for RED ( oba,ba,obara)is a derivative of the word for BLOOD (obara).
While other Edoid groups still call RED and BLOOD almost, if not,the same thing, the Binis now use the Portuguese word for BLOOD (sangue) strictly for that to distinguish it from RED.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Fulaman198(m): 1:57am On Oct 01, 2013
bokohalal:

Fulaman, you have failed. Let me ,or anyone else, reach a conclusion before you wield your e-power.
Now, the Bini word for RED ( oba,ba,obara)is a derivative of the word for BLOOD (obara).
While other Edoid groups still call RED and BLOOD almost, if not,the same thing, the Binis now use the Portuguese word for BLOOD (sangue) strictly for that to distinguish it from RED.

Not trying to wield or abuse my use of my so-called "e-power" just making sure that this forum stays on topic. Regardless, thank you for clarifying
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by quin9(f): 10:15am On Oct 01, 2013
@ Fulaman, in my case,what happened?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Fulaman198(m): 3:44pm On Oct 01, 2013
quin9: @ Fulaman, in my case,what happened?

Hello Quin, unfortunately, I don't know, because I have never banned anyone. I try to avoid that at all costs. I will look into it ok.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Trulove4s(m): 2:53pm On Oct 24, 2015
Achoro m onye nkuzi Igbo.kpom n'ekwe nti a 08069466711

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / Photo Of Ooni Enitan Adeyeye-Ogunwusi As A Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.