Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,095 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend (2434 Views)

My Husband Lent Me #5,000 Out Of #500,000 / He/she Is 'just A Friend'.12 Signs Of An Emotional Infidelity / 7 Reasons Why You Should Forget About Money Lent To Relatives/family Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Chiscomax(m): 6:17pm On Sep 27, 2013
Sometimes, a friend may come along
who isn't so hesitant about taking
money, but hesitant when it comes to
giving it back. All it takes is a firm
reminder and a little patience!

1) Tell your friend that you
will not lend anymore
money until they pay the
previous amount back . This
is an effective way of getting
it paid off, but they will just
turn around and borrow
money again, so it's half-
and-half.

2)Remind them every 2-3
days for about a week. If
they still haven't paid it back,
move on to the next step.

3)Pull them off to the side
and make sure neither one
of you are distracted. Say
something such as, "It's fine
that you borrowed money
from me, but I'm getting very
impatient. I need that money
and I'd like you to give it to
me by (deadline)."
Be polite . You can be firm
without being aggressive.
Never, ever make
intimidating threats such as
" if you don't give me my
money back, I'm gonna
make you'".

4)Talk to them again after
about a month, but this
time, you must be a lot
more firm! Raise your voice
at them and tell them if they
don't pay you back soon,
you will quit giving them
money. However, if your
friend owes you large sums
of money, wait to do this
after about two months.

5) If over 3 months pass and
your friend still does not
pay you then let them
know that you do not want
to see them again until
they pay you. However,
don't think that the
friendship is about money.
Did you just give money to
your friend just so they
could pay you?

6) If you are still unsuccessful,
accept the fact that you
have lost your money for
good and you have learned
a valuable lesson. If it was a
very large sum of money
your last resort should be
legal action.

7)If you are willing to use
legal action be sure to have
evidence that this is a
trespass to title meaning
that you gave your friend
temporary title of the
money instead of
possession . Whoever has the
greater right to title or
possession will win. You will
also have the burden of
proof so be prepared. If you
have any evidence at all that
he knows he has the money
and he will pay you back
then that is your strongest
piece of evidence.

Tips:
Only lend your friends what you
feel comfortable with losing
because you can never be sure
you can get it back.
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
How many views, no comment. Make I help you...

Emmm, what's d topic again undecided
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ok, nice one OP!
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by nedu2000(m): 7:23pm On Sep 27, 2013
Very very nice 1,I was thinking of means of getting my money back,but I think its gone
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by aitope(m): 7:27pm On Sep 27, 2013
correct
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by acorntree(m): 8:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
This method are meant for white people. if u are dealing with black man and you are talking softly like this there is little possibility for u to get back ur money. At times if ure not aggressssive and use threat u will not get ur money back
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Chiscomax(m): 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
acorn tree: This method are meant for white people. if u are dealing with black man and you are talking softly like this there is little possibility for u to get back ur money. At times if ure not aggressssive and use threat u will not get ur money back
hahaha... so do you mean blackmen have blackheart? it is advicable you follow the steps before becoming aggressive with collecting back your momey
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 28, 2013
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Nobody: 7:14am On Sep 28, 2013
There's no such thing as 'lending money' IMO ... if they have other means they won't come to you in the first place.
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by ade2008(m): 7:57am On Sep 28, 2013
chaircover: Dont lend people money that you are not prepared to let go

Dont lend people money that you have put aside for something important just incase they dont pay it back or on time

I cant recall ever lending anyone money and they paid it back at the right time or at all without reminders and stress and in some cases fights, so I dont lend people money. If i can afford it then I give it to you as a gift and wont take it back

Some people still owe me money from when I used to sell lace like 5 years ago. Money brings out the worst in people. I learnt the hard way.

This is the best advice to follow but what of if u the soft hearted type that are easily carried away by peopleā€˜s pleas. U know they will come with symphathy on their faces when narrating their problem. If it involve saving life and involve huge amount of money, are u going to turn them down
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by acorntree(m): 8:09am On Sep 28, 2013
Chiscomax:
hahaha... so do you mean blackmen have blackheart? it is advicable you follow the steps before becoming aggressive with collecting back your momey

Yes, after uve talk,talk and talk and the debtor seem to be stubborn. U can even use thug to collect ur money
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 28, 2013
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 28, 2013
Infact, Op you are right. A lady once used Lagos style for me. She is still owing me 6k since March. I have forgotten about it o.
She has a cosmetics shop, but i dey fear ALUUrization.....
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by EfemenaXY: 9:33am On Sep 28, 2013
@OP, if you have to go through all those 7 or 8 stages you listed, then you can be rest assured the person you lent money to is no friend of yours.

True, money brings out the worst in people and you should only lend what you can afford to lose. But the question is: What if this friend of yours miscalculated the depth of their financial mess and find it difficult, or better still, can't afford to pay you back? What will you do? Even if you take legal action and have them thrown into jail, you still won't get your money back.

chaircover: Dont lend people money that you are not prepared to let go

Dont lend people money that you have put aside for something important just incase they dont pay it back or on time

I cant recall ever lending anyone money and they paid it back at the right time or at all without reminders and stress and in some cases fights, so I dont lend people money. If i can afford it then I give it to you as a gift and wont take it back

Some people still owe me money from when I used to sell lace like 5 years ago. Money brings out the worst in people. I learnt the hard way.

jidegirl12: There's no such thing as 'lending money' IMO ... if they have other means they won't come to you in the first place.

Jide and CC, I agree with you both whole-heartedly. That's why when I give, I don't expect to get it back. I give with a clean heart and leave it at that.

If I will, I will. If I won't, I won't.

Simple.
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Chiscomax(m): 10:26am On Sep 28, 2013
Efemena_xy: @OP, if you have to go through all those 7 or 8 stages you listed, then you can be rest assured the person you lent money to is no friend of yours.

True, money brings out the worst in people and you should only lend what you can afford to lose. But the question is: What if this friend of yours miscalculated the depth of their financial mess and find it difficult, or better still, can't afford to pay you back? What will you do? Even if you take legal action and have them thrown into jail, you still won't get your money back.

undecided

Jide and CC, I agree with you both whole-heartedly. That's why when I give, I don't expect to get it back. I give with a clean heart and leave it at that.

If I will, I will. If I won't, I won't.

Simple.

i happen to have a friend in school whom i lent 500naira. he got about 15,000 naira after the week i lent him and refused to pay back the money after telling him i would need the money back to print my gst assignment which is to be submitted the same week he got the 15,000 naira. he gambled with his 15;000 naira in a play station store and he did his assignment with the money left and refused to pay back the money . this is a person whom we were so close. i asked him for the money but he refused and that was the end of the friendship.

I believe no true friend would want to draw you back. i managed to get money from another source and did my assignment and submitted it hurriedly. assuming i sued him because of that 500naira, they would say i am wicked... Wicked friends!!!
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by EfemenaXY: 10:34am On Sep 28, 2013
^^ Actually, if you'd sued him, you would have spent far more than that N500.00

This is typical example of when something that just isn't worth the bother. But question for you: how did you know he'd received N15,000? And why didn't you at that point, insist (and I mean really insist) on getting your money back from him before he hit the games consoles?
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Maipride(f): 10:47am On Sep 28, 2013
Just as CC said GIVE WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE.....
I once lent what wasn't mine to some1 with the hope that the person was gonna pay ASAP but I ended up paying the money amidst tears.... Its was painful and hrtbreaking, Hence I decided I will NEVER lend what I cant afford to part with.

Some times you just have to let go cos of friendship and love ..... so many money I had to let go cos of friendship BUT I became wiser and knew exactly when to give and when not to.
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Chiscomax(m): 12:14pm On Sep 28, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ Actually, if you'd sued him, you would have spent far more than that N500.00

This is typical example of when something that just isn't worth the bother. But question for you: how did you know he'd received N15,000? And why didn't you at that point, insist (and I mean really insist) on getting your money back from him before he hit the games consoles?

he told me himself that his mum had sent the money. i asked for mind but he refused to give it to me. he kept on laying stories but at the end, i discovered he had gambled them all. well, i do not blame him at all. i am just happy it was 500naira
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by jumzzy448: 4:32pm On Sep 28, 2013
I actually lent a friend 70,000 naira back 2009, till date she hasn't paid back my money. Then when I call her she won't pick my call till the day I decided to hide my number. When I called with the unknown number, she picked and started begging that I shouldn't be annoyed that she doesn't know what to say that's why she hasn't being picking my calls, that she'll call me the next day to send my acc number to her. Days rolled into months and I didn't hear anything from her. I sent a text to her that if she has conscience let her pay me back my money cos I will never ask her again. Then I deleted her number off my phone. Did I say she actually asked me for 150,000. Up till date, she hasn't call and not even a text from her.
Human being...SMH
Re: How To Collect Money You Lent To A Friend by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 28, 2013
Nigerians are generally too sentimental.
When I am giving a loan no matter how close you have to sign and undertaking as well as drop a post dated cheque.
If there is any reason why I can't get my money you have to let me know before I call you.
I can be annoyingly professional

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

See The GIANT Python,my Roomie Killed / Family Joke Of The Day:- When Your Kid Is Just Too Dumb ;D (pic) / Young Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.