Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,307 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? (1807 Views)

Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? / Polygamy And Faith: Is Polygamy A Sin? / The True Sin In The Garden Of Eden: Eve Slept With Satan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 7:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
There was an argument which ensued between me and someone as 'if polygamy is a sin'. I stood on the fact that it is because in the beginning God made one man and one woman. Please i need more clearification on this sensitive issue from good christian in the house. Thanks.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Alwaystrue(f): 7:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mark 10:5-11
5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to HIS WIFE;
8 And THEY TWAIN shall be ONE FLESH: so then THEY ARE NO MORE TWAIN, BUT ONE FLESH.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, LET NOT MAN put asunder.
10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 27, 2013
in the old testament people married as many women there could afford
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Tuntheycr7: 7:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
Alwaystrue:
11 And he saith unto them, [b]Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

how abt if he chooses to kip d wife and marries anoda?

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 27, 2013
you don't need a book to tell you what's wrong or not, your brain is in your head locate it and use it.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Alwaystrue(f): 9:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
Tuntheycr7:
how abt if he chooses to kip d wife and marries anoda?

Alwaystrue:
Mark 10:7-9
7 For this cause shall A MAN leave his father and mother, and CLEAVE to HIS WIFE;
8 And THEY TWAIN shall be ONE FLESH: so then THEY ARE NO MORE TWAIN, BUT ONE FLESH.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, LET NOT MAN put asunder.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 12:08am On Sep 28, 2013
Why did people like david, jacob, Gideon etc marries more than one wife when they know that it's wrong. Pls clear me on this.

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 4:14pm On Oct 22, 2013
Yungwizzzy: in the old testament people married as many women there could afford
what about the new testament.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by amaralizzy40y: 9:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
[quote
author=Alwaystrue]Mark 10:5-11
5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of
your heart he wrote you this precept.
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave
to HIS WIFE;

8 And THEY TWAIN shall be ONE FLESH: so then THEY ARE NO MORE TWAIN,
BUT ONE FLESH.

9 What therefore God hath joined together, LET NOT MAN put
asunder.

10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and
marry another, committeth adultery against her.
[/quote]theysame thing was also stated in matthew 19v4-6.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 1:22pm On Nov 17, 2013
Marrying more than one wife is a sin. Period
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by smoy: 2:05pm On Nov 17, 2013
I am a Muslim but read Bible for studies and never come accr any verse in the bible that prohibit such and infact David, Solomon, abraham amog other can not be wrong but only Jesus who never mary but when he comes the second time he will mary and paherps many oly God knows
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 3:18pm On Nov 17, 2013
smoy: I am a Muslim but read Bible for studies and never come accr any verse in the bible that prohibit such and infact David, Solomon, abraham amog other can not be wrong but only Jesus who never mary but when he comes the second time he will mary and paherps many oly God knows
in the beginning God create one man and one woman. The two wife issue is a disobedience on men's part.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 4:55pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ukuts gp: There was an argument which ensued between me and someone as 'if polygamy is a sin'. I stood on the fact that it is because in the beginning God made one man and one woman. Please i need more clearification on this sensitive issue from good christian in the house. Thanks.

Who did the kids of the 'one man and one woman' marry ?
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by shivaclubn: 5:06pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ukuts gp: what about the new testament.
no history of marriege on the new testerment, who knows how thay married.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by shivaclubn: 5:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ukuts gp: Marrying more than one wife is a sin. Period
you are lieing,have you forgoten that jesus himself was a desendant from a secomd wife,wife of uri killed by king devid.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 17, 2013
If marrying more than one wife is sin now , then it must have been sin then as well, meaning that David , Solomon etc where living in disobedience.

Also , many of our forefathers after Christ who had never heard the gospel married more than one wife , does this mean they are going to be destroyed ?

I am personally for one man and one woman , but we must be able to explain this important issue to the satisfaction of those inquiring.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 5:18pm On Nov 17, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Who did the kids of the 'one man and one woman' marry ?
that is a different matter entirely
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 5:25pm On Nov 17, 2013
Didn't Jesus said that in the beginning it was nt so, but God made them male and female. Not male and females or males and female. It was man that break that order to established his own. But it was always God's desire that man return to his original plan.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by smoy: 8:28pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ukuts gp: in the beginning God create one man and one woman. The two wife issue is a disobedience on men's part.
. The human is the most complicate machine which need manual to oprate and here comes the books of God revealed to his messangers and our conjection without comformation from them is doomed for humanity which christedom are guilty of. Jisus nor david prohibt this in their book but the Westan now save as our religion that you worship but surely not the teachings of God
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 4:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
@smoy. Quote me anywhere, polygamy is nt God's plan for his people.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ukuts gp: @smoy. Quote me anywhere, polygamy is nt God's plan for his people.

I dont think Polygamy is for Gods people, but the question is , is it Sin ?

Because if it is sin, then most of the godly kings and some saints are found wanting, no ? David, Abraham, Isaac , Jacob, Solomon, etc etc

Personally though , one wife is okay for me, especially in times of recession and woman wahala grin
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:56pm On Nov 22, 2013
frosbel:

I dont think Polygamy is for Gods people, but the question is , is it Sin ?

Because if it is sin, then most of the godly kings and some saints are found wanting, no ? David, Abraham, Isaac , Jacob, Solomon, etc etc

Personally though , one wife is okay for me, especially in times of recession and woman wahala grin
that was in the times of ignorance. Jesus hv come to correct those anomalies.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by NativeBoy: 6:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
There is no definitive scripture that says polygamy is a sin, yet we know that God's design is one man and one woman. Furthermore the bible details all the problems that come with polygamy. Just read the stories of Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, etc.

Now compare their stories with that of Isaac (who only took one wife) and then you may see the wisdom of God's design for marriage.

Actually, in Deuteronomy 17:17, there is an explicit command from God that the kings of Israel should not "multiply wives unto themselves"
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by vickyO(f): 7:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
Abraham is our (gentiles) father in faith. He married only one wife. And God vexed for him for impregnating Haggai. So polygamy isn't God's choice for us. Two shall become one, no three or four. And as Christians we have to tame our flesh, marrying many wives destroys that doctrine.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
vickyO: Abraham is our (gentiles) father in faith. He married only one wife. And God vexed for him for impregnating Haggai. So polygamy isn't God's choice for us. Two shall become one, no three or four. And as Christians we have to tame our flesh, marrying many wives destroys that doctrine.
ya, this is still my stand. Any man that put away his wife and marry another commit adultery or any man that sleep with another woman while his wife is still alive commit adultery. And all adulterers will go to hell
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
vickyO: Abraham is our (gentiles) father in faith. He married only one wife. And God vexed for him for impregnating Haggai. So polygamy isn't God's choice for us. Two shall become one, no three or four. And as Christians we have to tame our flesh, marrying many wives destroys that doctrine.

thanks for the reminder about that verse " 2 shall be 1 ".

But, what about our ancestors who were polygamous and never heard about the gospel ?

My personal view by the way is one man and one wife, just in case my statement is misconstrued.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by vickyO(f): 8:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
frosbel:

But, what about our ancestors who were polygamous and never heard about the gospel ?

My personal view by the way is one man and one wife, just in case my statement is misconstrued.
God knows how He'll judge them. And the Book of Romans tells us that their consciences excuses or accuses them. so God would probably use their conscience............... Just my opinion but He knows best.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by NativeBoy: 8:20pm On Nov 22, 2013
frosbel:

This is why I love scripture. God is merciful.
Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, (Acts 17:30 NKJV)

Though we do not know how God will judge those of old who hadn't heard the scripture, has Abraham asked "Shall not the Judge of the earth do right?"
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 9:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
^^^I'm certain the threat of hell, talkless of the actual punishment is deserving of the strongest criticism and yet Christians sweetly, lovingly and calmy preach and believe that God sends folks to purgatories and hell. That's maniacal. If a human did such or similar he would be scorned without mercy.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 9:53pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ukuts gp: that is a different matter entirely

True, but it still has bearing on the matter since one wonders where Lamech, first recorded to marry two wives, got them from, moreso his fathers before him.

That said, God clearly tolerated polygamy from the patriachs especially Jacob. There isn't any popular verse casting polygamy as a sin (not even in the NT !) though some come close but Christians have found a way to cast it such using the precedent set in Genesis. Fair enough, but I'd say many have been brainwashed (and I use that word in all honesty) to believe the ideal marriage is monogamy or should be such.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by NativeBoy: 10:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
Uyi Iredia: ^^^I'm certain the threat of hell, talkless of the actual punishment is deserving of the strongest criticism and yet Christians sweetly, lovingly and calmy preach and believe that God sends folks to purgatories and hell. That's maniacal. If a human did such or similar he would be scorned without mercy.

I don't follow. Are you saying there is no hell?
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 10:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

True, but it still has bearing on the matter since one wonders where Lamech, first recorded to marry two wives, got them from, moreso his fathers before him.

That said, God clearly tolerated polygamy from the patriachs especially Jacob. There isn't any popular verse casting polygamy as a sin (not even in the NT !) though some come close but Christians have found a way to cast it such using the precedent set in Genesis. Fair enough, but I'd say many have been brainwashed (and I use that word in all honesty) to believe the ideal marriage is monogamy or should be such.
God tolerated them i think then. But that does nt mean that God wants it to continue that way, cos that is the breaking of God's order and standard in marriage which says that two flesh shall become one nt three, nt four and so on. Adultery is a sin. That was why jesus came to restore the order in marriage which which have been destroyed by lamach who first practised it. Anyone now who refuse to follow this standard shall pay dearly for it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! A Jehovah Witness Told Me Exodus 24:11 Is A False Teaching From The Jews / Does God Exist? / T.B Joshua : Photos Of T.B Joshua At Young Age

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.