Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,629 members, 7,801,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. (48025 Views)

An Open Letter To Buhari By A Graduate Male Nurse / 5 Solid Advantages Of Marrying A Nurse. / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by johnkent(m): 5:52am On Nov 17, 2014
InvertedHammer:

\
My biggest issue is that even though somewhat embellished, he thinks that $240k/yr is a lot of money @ smilling to the bank.

May be, because it is in Texas.

Some people are so new to things.

Well...Good luck Chief Kent.

\
I don't know where you're from but that's some good money. Only about 2% of Americans make over $200K/yr so yeah I'm happy about how much I make.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by InvertedHammer: 5:55am On Nov 17, 2014
johnkent:

I don't know where you're from but that's some good money. Only about 2% of Americans make over $200K/yr so yeah I'm happy about how much I make.

/

OK.

You are happy. That's what matters.

Good luck.

\

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by BobbyRobson: 5:56am On Nov 17, 2014
madridfc:
Interesting topic, we don't call them male nurses here...
Cos I schooled in France. cheesy
all foreign students.....we have meeting this morning by 10 am prompt. Venue; Nairaland office, nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by suzyberry(f): 5:59am On Nov 17, 2014
Nursing is a calling. There is no body that is superior to the other in the health team as the same basic requirement is needed for admission to study both medicine and nursing. If u are a male nurse and you are not proud to be associated with nursing and u prefer being called a doctor, you have missed your calling. In Nigeria, most male Nurses don't work in the general setting but in specialized areas like accident and emergency,orthopedics, psychiatry e.t.c. I remember last year, the college of medicine, University of Ibadan alumni lecture was titled "The Nurse is a Man". The lecture really helped to capture the reaction of most people especially women when they know that the nurse that be with them during any procedure is man. See male Nurses in glory, it was a nice experience. People should change their mentality,any1 can choose any profession. Am proud to be a Nurse.

4 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by nijanigga: 6:21am On Nov 17, 2014
InvertedHammer:

/

Mistake #1: You are listening to cnbc.

Their viewership has been on constant decline for obvious reasons.

And that nutcase Jim Cramer? I rest my case.

\

did you see Jim in this news, how much is oil now? $50/barrel is not far from $78
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Bitojoe(m): 6:36am On Nov 17, 2014
There is no challenges anywhere. Both are allow to perform their duty.especialy seen free Kitty-Cat during delivery.etc
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by iscom(m): 6:37am On Nov 17, 2014
As a nurse, what i don't like is the name, unform, and working with a female doctor. That is why i only work in the theatre.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nhenhye(m): 6:38am On Nov 17, 2014
Hahahaha...I laugh @ dis topic cos am a Nurse n am male.But the truth of the matter is that male Nurses are special,though not all,but am special,lol.
The discremination we receive frm our female colleagues or female patients mayb,to a greater extend depend on institutions n d nursing department.For e.g when I was newly employed after NYSC,I do carry out all the nursing procedures,both gynaecological or not.Then I was tranfered to a new unit and in this new unit I got to knw about the rules.
So basically,there are no issues(medically speaking) with been a male nurse and attending to a female client.Except for some religion that may not allow men touch their wives when they are not critically ill but when it gets to the point...,they don't care anymore about who attends to them(lol!).Least I forget,am also a registered midwife....

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by gboly3190(m): 6:40am On Nov 17, 2014
I am proud to be a male nurse. Nursing is a calling and a noble profession. Am enjoying nursing because it gives me joy and satisfaction to care for the sick 24hrs a day 7 days a week. Great nurses...... Great.
N- Neatness and splendour
U- Understanding
R- Responsiveness
S- Selfless service
I- Innovate and Initiative
N- Nobility
G- Gentleness and Love

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by elobyobi: 6:42am On Nov 17, 2014
Bridgetown:
I am a male nurse and there is no discrimination whatsoever, my only problem is doctors used to hijack all my pretty female colleagues thereby living me to search for the female student nurses that are also being taken by those yeye doctors.

Don't worry. Nurses can now become "consultants" just like doctors, so now u can oppress them too. grin
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 17, 2014
Nhenhye:
Hahahaha...I laugh @ dis topic cos am a Nurse n am male.But the truth of the matter is that male Nurses are special,though not all,but am special,lol.
The discremination we receive frm our female colleagues or female patients mayb,to a greater extend depend on institutions n d nursing department.For e.g when I was newly employed after NYSC,I do carry out all the nursing procedures,both gynaecological or not.Then I was tranfered to a new unit and in this new unit I got to knw about the rules.
So basically,there are no issues(medically speaking) with been a male nurse and attending to a female client.Except for some religion that may not allow men touch their wives when they are not critically ill but when it gets to the point...,they don't care anymore about who attends to them(lol!).Least I forget,am also a registered midwife....

Are there no masculine names for "midwife" such as "midhusband or midman" to denote that...this is a male? Just curious because I wouldn't want to request for a midwife as the feminine title suggests to attend to my wife or daughter, Lo and behold a grown azz man shows up. This might cause me to take out my rifle.

8 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by ignis: 6:50am On Nov 17, 2014
Like seriously. ... Do we still have male nurse?
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nhenhye(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2014
new2020:

Are there no masculine names for "midwife" such as "midhusband or midman" to denote that...this is a male? Just curious because I wouldn't want to request for a midwife as the feminine title suggests to attend to my wife or daughter, Lo and behold a grown azz man shows up. This might cause me to take out my rifle.
To make u happy,try O n G Nurse... cheesy
new2020:

To make u happy,try O n G Nurse...
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by lanxebony(m): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2014
Proudly male nurse. Bt d fact is dat we choose nursing cos we wants medcine bt leter we knw nurses are d best more reliable dan drs. Check my post on nurses or drs who is the care giver?
Though in nur$ing sch i remember we are 30 after matric and we male nurses there are only 5
In my sch d total num of male nurses we are just a team 12. Nursing is a calling in our clinical we encouter lot of challenges lyk
1. Inferioty complex with d male drs
2. Some pts wnt allow u to touch dem
3. The mentality of we African is nt rising to why we need male nurses
We male nurses are needed in masses cos the female has a linear mind and cant withstand stress 4 long dats y they are being rid by drs forgetting dat drs are nt there boss bt we are team mate
We male nurses can help bring back d pride in nursing which the old way has brought. Proudly male nurse. Train a nurse today and compare to drs dat ego are killing

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 17, 2014
claireshan:
Lol I no fit allow them gimme injectiongrin

But can you allow a male doctor inject you ?
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 17, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/
No man wakes up in the morning and decides to be a nurse.

Condition na im make crayfish bend.

Most went into nursing for the money.

But most of the male nurses are gay or closet gay.

Nursing is the profession that will help them stay in touch with their inner femininity.

I bet they get off inserting urinary catheter into a male patient.

I will not be caught dead being attended by a male nurse.

Simple as that.

\
you are so shallow minded in thinking!! How can you say most are gay? Do whatever pays the bill niggar!! I know of a certified Architect in Nigeria who came to the USA to do RN..he's a nurse right now..don't make false assumption
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by InvertedHammer: 7:22am On Nov 17, 2014
nijanigga:

did you see Jim in this news, how much is oil now? $50/barrel is not far from $78
/
Like everything else the noise on oil is now too loud. Usually what happens is that individual investors will pile up shorts gunning for $50/b and the price snaps back resulting in Bear trap while demolishing all the stops all the way back.

Price forecast is not science. Cramer is known to talk up or down stocks depending on what side of the trade he is in. Just letting u know. Some folks use him as a contrarian indicator. Lol
/
/

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by InvertedHammer: 7:30am On Nov 17, 2014
Osahon7:
you are so shallow minded in thinking!! How can you say most are gay? Do whatever pays the bill niggar!! I know of a certified Architect in Nigeria who came to the USA to do RN..he's a nurse right now..don't make false assumption

You ended up agreeing with me. Thanks.

@what pays d bills

You and I seem to agree that no man will say that his goal in life is to be a nurse. Thus leading up to my irrefutable statement that "condition na im make crayfish bend".

/

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Oduduwaboy(m): 7:35am On Nov 17, 2014
iscom:
As a nurse, what i don't like is the name, unform, and working with a female doctor. That is why i only work in the theatre.
You are most likely not a nurse at all. This is too honest for a Nigerian.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Oduduwaboy(m): 7:42am On Nov 17, 2014
gboly3190:
I am proud to be a male nurse. Nursing is a calling and a noble profession. Am enjoying nursing because it gives me joy and satisfaction to care for the sick 24hrs a day 7 days a week. Great nurses...... Great.
N- Neatness and splendour
U- Understanding
R- Responsiveness
S- Selfless service
I- Innovate and Initiative
N- Nobility
G- Gentleness and Love
24 hours a day/ 7 days a week? How many days off do you have in a month ? I know nurses who work for only 18 days out of 30 days in Nigeria.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 17, 2014
moneybag100:
Hmmm
if say mario na male nurse if 4 don use injection criple people.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by lezz(m): 7:47am On Nov 17, 2014
Larow:
It could be annoying though but all I tell female patients who don't want me to touch them is to use some medical terminologies which I know they can't understand to scare them. On Hearing such terminologies, female patients who don't want to fall victim releases themselves. But wait o! I wonder why the female nurses don't face such challenges with male patients.
Male nurses are almost as half as disgusting as a male nanny.

Apart from the injection....the cleaning, the nursing, argh! It's a female profession.
Save us the modernity crap.
It must take a wuzzbag inherent in a "man" to apply to become a nurse.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 17, 2014
moneybag100:
Hmmm
if mario na male nurse e for don use injection finish people yanish
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by donodion(m): 7:53am On Nov 17, 2014
Donodion is proud of you all male nurses.

its been a stereotype thar nursing is a proffession exclusive to females but so wrong is such a notion.

For those interested in knowing the origing of nursing,it started with men
http://allnurses.com/men-in-nursing/men-nursing-historical-96326.html

when Jesus gave a parable about beign your brothers keeper and the good samaritan story...thr samaritan paid money to.............? to nurse the robbed and Injured traveller in Luke 10:30-34.

Ever before the advent of the likes of Nighteengale men were actively nurses.

http://nursinglink.monster.com/benefits/articles/13045-the-role-of-men-in-nursing-today

If you are a man and a nurse....thumbs up lads.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Sabotage4700(m): 8:04am On Nov 17, 2014
arghhh.. clicked on the wrong thread again.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by ziccoit: 8:10am On Nov 17, 2014
It is never a challenge in Nigeria but a leverage to make money. Why? Majority of patients address any well dressed male figure in hospital as a Doctor and all female figure as a Nurse. The "sharp" ones among the male Nurses even make money more than doctor hiding under the assumed position giving to them by the patients.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by blakky97(m): 8:11am On Nov 17, 2014
A male nurse should stay far from me!
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by holatin(m): 8:13am On Nov 17, 2014
any relative of Seun osewa here ?
abeg help me beg am, my ban is suppose to end 9:55pm yesterday.
angel Seun ewa tu mi sile
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 17, 2014
@ OP-Just wear your neat hospital coat, and carry yourself with dignity and a smile....
Patients will actually calling you to attend to them out of preference . Men can actually look very dignified as nurses... Looks says it all. Professionalism (or a semblance of it) actually matters a lot in a lot of industries (including health)

As for the people saying they won't allow a male nurse to give them injection, Pls, turn away the Male doctor, when it is time for him to give you a routine full medical check up to assess your health, including touching your jingles, and poking ur As.shole. rubbish

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by otswag(m): 8:21am On Nov 17, 2014
new2020:
If you want to be emasculated, then be a Male Nurse. Why not put the same effort and a little more to be a Doctor?
there's really no big deal with being a male nurse. In this part of Africa, we still have a problem mentally allocating professions based on gender. Even Up till date, some educated people still refer to female drs as nurses. If female nurses can work with both genders of patients, I see no reason y it should be abnormal for male nurses to do the same. All over d world, we see male hair stylists, male chefs n so doing extremely well. In Italy, male chefs are d norm but here in Africa, a male chef has to be a sissy.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by elobyobi: 8:24am On Nov 17, 2014
lanxebony:
Proudly male nurse. Bt d fact is dat we choose nursing cos we wants medcine bt leter we knw nurses are d best more reliable dan drs. Check my post on nurses or drs who is the care giver?
Though in nur$ing sch i remember we are 30 after matric and we male nurses there are only 5
In my sch d total num of male nurses we are just a team 12. Nursing is a calling in our clinical we encouter lot of challenges lyk
1. Inferioty complex with d male drs
2. Some pts wnt allow u to touch dem
3. The mentality of we African is nt rising to why we need male nurses
We male nurses are needed in masses cos the female has a linear mind and cant withstand stress 4 long dats y they are being rid by drs forgetting dat drs are nt there boss bt we are team mate
We male nurses can help bring back d pride in nursing which the old way has brought. Proudly male nurse. Train a nurse today and compare to drs dat ego are killing

Chai, this one no even hide him own hatred for doctors, because he didn't get medicine. Take am easy bros. Go and become a consultant and flex wella.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 17, 2014
InvertedHammer:

You ended up agreeing with me. Thanks.

@what pays d bills

You and I seem to agree that no man will say that his goal in life is to be a nurse. Thus leading up to my irrefutable statement that "condition na im make crayfish bend".

/
you can't be so sure..ppl are different

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Massive Sack Looming In Many Digital Companies/banks / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? / Female Soldier Who Passed Through 'hell' To Become An Army Officer Shares Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.