Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,090 members, 7,807,257 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant (2215 Views)

Power Generation Falls To 3,700 MW / Historian help!Which city was the first capital of Nigeria?Calabar,zungeru,lagos / Jonathan To Flag Off ZUNGERU Hydro-dam Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Rossikk(m): 5:23pm On Sep 28, 2013
- Project Conceived in 1982

- Finally to be executed Under Goodluck Jonathan.

[size=20pt]Nigeria, China ink agreement to fund major power project[/size]

English.news.cn | 2013-09-28 20:37:54 | Editor: Zhu Ningzhu

ABUJA, Sept. 28 (Xinhua) -- The governments of Nigeria and China furthered their mutual cooperation on Saturday with the signing of approximately 1.293 billion U.S. dollars agreement on a major power project in the West African country.

Located in Zungeru, a local community in Niger State, 150 km away from the capital city Abuja, the Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Project is expected to generate 700,000 kilowatts or 700 megawatts of power for Africa's most populous country, Minister of Finance Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said at the signing ceremony.

The Nigerian official noted the contract awarded to two Chinese electric power firms, China National Electrical Equipment Corporation (CNEEC) and Sinohydro Consortium, was given a loan facility by the EximBank of China, with preferential conditions.

The Eximbank would bear 75 percent of the cost of the project while a counterpart funding balance of 309 million dollars had been made available by Nigeria.

"The project will create thousands of jobs during the construction phase both directly and indirectly. A lot of Nigerian technicians, engineers and artisans and others will be employed during the construction phase," added Okonjo-Iweala, who doubles as coordinating minister of the Nigerian economy.

She expressed delight at the success of work at the project site, noting the two Chinese contractors are expected to finish work in 2018.

Chinese Ambassador in Nigeria Deng Boqing, who signed the agreement on behalf of the East Asian nation's government, said the Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Project was significant to the Nigerian people, because it will contribute greatly to economic growth, meeting growing power demand as the West African nation ushers in a new period of industrialization and urbanization.

"China and Nigerian share the same dream, that is to bring prosperity and stability to the people, and these visions have been fully communicated by the leaders of our two countries when President Goodluck Jonathan visited China in July 2013''.

"The construction of Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Station is one of the many consensuses reached by the presidents of our two countries. Today, the signing ceremony is the fruit of that state visit and we believe more concrete steps will be taken to further boost our already flourishing cooperation and enrich our strategic partnership," Deng noted.

He said the project, when completed, will also help bring the much-needed electricity for economic transformation toward achieving Nigeria's "2020:20 vision".

"The contractors of this project, Sinohydro Corporation and China National Electrical Equipment Corporation (CNEEC) both reputed for professional experience and cutting-edge expertise, are top-ranking companies in the field of engineering and construction. I have great expectations for the two companies. It is their responsibility to ensure that all works are done with good quality as well as in a timely manner," the Chinese envoy added.

[size=15pt]The Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Project was conceived in 1982, but due to constraints of funds, the construction work could not commence[/size].

The Nigerian government approved the project in 2012 in order to obtain more electricity, help maintain appropriate power prices and promote economic growth and development of the country.

In May, President Jonathan said the 1.293-billion-U.S.-dollar power project would be the largest to be built by his administration.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-09/28/c_132759193.htm
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Rossikk(m): 5:32pm On Sep 28, 2013
Since 1982, it's been all talk.... until now.

This Jonathan of a man will soon assume sainthood status in this country.

A new national award created perhaps, to top the current highest, Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR).

Title: Ultra Grand Extraordinary Magnificent Commander of the Federal Republic (UGEMCFR).

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by gramci: 5:39pm On Sep 28, 2013
when President GEJ completes it, the evil men of nairaland would rather give credit to shagari, buhari, IBB, shonekan, abacha, abdulsalami, obj and yaradua since the project span across their tenure.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by blacksta(m): 5:43pm On Sep 28, 2013
wake me when it is built - my spit is too precious to comment

I have lost track of the number of MOUs Nigeria has signed

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Rossikk(m): 5:45pm On Sep 28, 2013
blacksta: wake me when it is built - my spit is too precious to comment

Even if they wake you up when it's built, you will still go back to sleep, so what's the point?

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by IGBOSON1: 5:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
blacksta: wake me when it is built - my spit is too precious to comment

^^^That's precisely the point!....if the other Presidents/Heads of State had signed even half as many MOUs, then maybe we wouldn't be in the dire situation we are in at the moment!
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2013
I told EVIL men of NL that the PROBLEM and challenge with govt in Nigeria is not IDEAS but IMPLEMENTATION. Can you imagine an idea that was conceived in 1982 but could not be implemented until now? That is over 3 decades. Hmmm! I can only shout FRESH AIR!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by blacksta(m): 6:00pm On Sep 28, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^That's precisely the point!....if the other Presidents/Heads of State had signed even half as many MOUs, then maybe we wouldn't be in the dire situation we are in at the moment!
If it is going to be built it will be built which one again is MOU
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by vizboy(m): 6:01pm On Sep 28, 2013
I hear hope everything turn out well
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Longeria(m): 6:25pm On Sep 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I told EVIL men of NL that the PROBLEM and challenge with govt in Nigeria is not IDEAS but IMPLEMENTATION. Can you imagine an idea that was conceived in 1982 but could not be implemented until now? That is over 3 decades. Hmmm! I can only shout FRESH AIR!
Fresh Air till I become president
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Rossikk(m): 6:25pm On Sep 28, 2013
blacksta:

Where did you see MOU?

''The Nigerian official noted the contract awarded to two Chinese electric power firms, China National Electrical Equipment Corporation (CNEEC) and Sinohydro Consortium, was given a loan facility by the EximBank of China, with preferential conditions.''
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
Rossikk:
She expressed delight at the success of work at the project site, noting the two Chinese contractors are expected to finish work in 2018.

Who's was talking about MOU? Work has started at project site.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 28, 2013
blacksta:
memorandum of understanding... olodo rabata!
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Rossikk(m): 6:49pm On Sep 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Who's was talking about MOU? Work has started at project site.

Work has commenced on the site??

My goodness!
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 28, 2013
Rossikk:

Work has commenced on the site??

My goodness!
since May this Year they commenced foundation laying of the Zungeru Power Plant.
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Rossikk(m): 7:30pm On Sep 28, 2013
lomomike: since May this Year they commenced foundation laying of the Zungeru Power Plant.

Wow... and there I was, thinking they were still in the contract signing stage!! grin cool This country is moving so fast even for some of us economy watchers, how much more the 'docile' public!!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by adepojuot: 7:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
Me don hear
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Tuntheycr7: 8:01pm On Sep 28, 2013
FRESH AIR THINGS......
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by fr3do(m): 8:09pm On Sep 28, 2013
700 megawatts is a joke
thats just enough to power 11.7 million 60 watt bulbs.
They should install more generators jor.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
fr3do: 700 megawatts is a joke

A journey of a THOUSAND MILES starts with A STEP, learn to CRAWL then WALK, and RUN before finally FLYING. wink
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by bigass(f): 8:53pm On Sep 28, 2013
lomomike:

A journey of a THOUSAND MILES starts with A STEP, learn to CRAWL then WALK, and RUN before finally FLYING. wink

i saw baba wazobia. He is 53yrs old and just learning how to work

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Rossikk(m): 9:04pm On Sep 28, 2013
fr3do: 700 megawatts is a joke

YOU are a joke, to call a $1.3 billion plant of 700mw a 'joke'. That amount is nearly 1/5th of our current output in one plant alone. Do you know there are several plants being built across the nation in addition to what we have already? Some of you are just plain ignorant!!
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by awodman: 9:11pm On Sep 28, 2013
Rossikk:

Wow... and there I was, thinking they were still in the contract signing stage!! grin cool This country is moving so fast even for some of us economy watchers, how much more the 'docile' public!!
www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123046:work-on-700mws-zungeru-hydro-power-plant-begins-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by agbameta: 9:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
So, with all the privatization noise, the FG is still kneed deep and mortgaging our future in the power sector business and even indebting generations to come with debt to finance it? ....then turn around and sell it off to their cronies in the private sector which really should be bearing the burden from scratch for free..

Can we do anything in this country without doing bambiala in front of china?

I don't even know what brand of AIR to assign to this foolishness and absurdity..

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by tellwisdom: 9:15pm On Sep 28, 2013
Ok no problem Mr Rossik. I shall join hands in prayer for the success of the country
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Brimmie(m): 9:15pm On Sep 28, 2013
FRESHH HAIIRR!!!
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 28, 2013
bigass:

i saw baba wazobia. He is 53yrs old and just learning how to work

so u wan compare Baba Wazobia of 53 years wey just start to work now due to ineptitude of previous leadership, corruption, and external forces working against our growth to great grandpa Smith (USA) of 236 years already flying? Did great grandpa Smith tell u he passed through what Baba Wazobia passed thru before he got to his present status? Did ancient great grandpa Wu Tang Xiao (China) tell u he is over 500 years old and it took him such a long time to get to where he is presently? Baba Wazobia is on track with GEJ.
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 28, 2013
Rossikk: Since 1982, it's been all talk.... until now.

This Jonathan of a man will soon assume sainthood status in this country.

A new national award created perhaps, to top the current highest, Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR).

Title: Ultra Grand Extraordinary Magnificent Commander of the Federal Republic (UGEMCFR).

Don't push it
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 28, 2013
blink182: Don't push it
give 10 undisputable reasons why he shouldn't push it? Let honour be given to whom its due. Within a space of 3-4 years GEJ did what no other president could do in donkey years despite the numerous tough oppositions surrounding him. He deserve an extra ordinary honour.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
agbameta: So, with all the privatization noise, the FG is still kneed deep and mortgaging our future in the power sector business and even indebting generations to come with debt to finance it? ....then turn around and sell it off to their cronies in the private sector which really should be bearing the burden from scratch for free..

Can we do anything in this country without doing bambiala in front of china?

I don't even know what brand of AIR to assign to this foolishness and absurdity..

NL-resident-fools will always act foolishly. If it was easy to secure the cheap loans, how come no govt was able to secure it in the last 3 decades? Besides with privatisation of the power sector, the project will easily pay back the loan.

By the way, it is the same loan your masters in Lagos are using to do most of the projects you pop champagne over on NL, including the light rail project. Since charity begins at home, you can start by advising your masters in Lagos state.
Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by theoctopus: 9:47pm On Sep 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
NL-resident-fools will always act foolishly. If it was easy to secure the cheap loans, how come no govt was able to secure it in the last 3 decades? Besides with privatisation of the power sector, the project will easily pay back the loan.

By the way, it is the same loan your masters in Lagos are using to do most of the projects you pop champagne over on NL, including the light rail project. Since charity begins at home, you can start by advising your masters in Lagos state.

Why do you even waste your bandwidth responding to fools. He thinks he is actually spoiling the project! How daft can a kid be? He actually thinks that by bad-mouthing it on NL, it will somehow, stop the project from progressing over there at Zungeru! Ode! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant by agbameta: 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

1. The FG isold off it's power plants, so why is GEJ borrowing money to build more power plants?

2. Why is GEJ borrowing money to invest in power plants after privatizing the power sector in Nigeria? Is this plant private or non private and also, is the sector fully private of privatization nonsense was just a rouse...?

3. Why is a Nation with billions of dollars in oil proceeds and a major oil exporter borrowing money to do everything under that sun from ogbanje railway to repainting airport, to building roads, to build power plants and so on?

4. Why is it that nearly all the National budget is almost 100recurent and little or nothing for capital projects hence borrowing for every damn thing?

Are these not the same clowns in Abuja importing 60,000 dustbins worth N1.1 billion ?

Talk about the most insane, corrupt, useless, incompetent and worthless characters in the world..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are People Not Commenting In My Political Posts? - Cramjones / Sanusi Dethrones Village Head For Getting High / Incoming President Buhari Commissions Projects In Edo, Hails Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.