Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. (11532 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Download Psalm 23(the Lord Is My Shepherd) As A Song On Your Pc Or Mobile Phone / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Speaks On T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
Goshen360:

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

This is also the words of Christ. Do you do this as a requirement before following Christ and\or for perfection?
If not that you are arrogant to learn you would have noticed that the scripture actually made a reference to Acts 4:34. using the concordance.There was no needy persons among them. The Church is yet to reach that stage of perfection, since folks like you always neglect the assemblies of ourselves together and 10% is like a big task for you guys.

Christ said you should love His Church as He has loved it and GAVE himself for it as exhibited by the scripture i quoted above .There is a huge difference in Loving the brethren as Christ has Loved the brethren and loving your neighbor as your self.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 10:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
Bidam: If not that you are arrogant to learn you would have noticed that the scripture actually made a reference to Acts 4:34. using the concordance.There was no needy persons among them. The Church is yet to reach that stage of perfection, since folks like you always neglect the assemblies of ourselves together and 10% is like a big task for you guys.

Christ said you should love His Church as He has loved it and GAVE himself for it as exhibited by the scripture i quoted above .There is a huge difference in Loving the brethren as Christ has Loved the brethren and loving your neighbor as your self.

Bidam, do you sell your possessions and give to the poor as a requirement to have treasure in heaven\before following Christ\for perfection or are you part of the early church that sold their all for the poor in their midst?

This is the word of Jesus and you and Image123 plus Alwaystrue believe and teach every word of Christ applies you\us. You people even say, his word is spirit and life. Abi this one no be word of Christ ni? cheesy

See your answers below:

Oh Goshen is arrogant to learn.
Goshen needs concordance to understand what Christ was saying.
What Christ said was reference to Acts 4:34
Christ loved the church and bla bla bla...

Simple question is hard for you to answer honestly. Remember, you're on the world wide web o. grin
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Goshen360:

Bidam, do you sell your possessions and give to the poor as a requirement to have treasure in heaven\before following Christ\for perfection or are you part of the early church that sold their all for the poor in their midst?

This is the word of Jesus and you and Image123 plus Alwaystrue believe and teach every word of Christ applies you\us. You people even say, his word is spirit and life. Abi this one no be word of Christ ni? cheesy

See your answers below:

Oh Goshen is arrogant to learn.
Goshen needs concordance to understand what Christ was saying.
What Christ said was reference to Acts 4:34
Christ loved the church and bla bla bla...

Simple question is hard for you to answer honestly. Remember, you're on the world wide web o. grin
Since this one dey hard you..go back and read the beatitudes in MATHEW 6:1-4 AND TELL ME WHAT CHRIST IS TELLING YOU THERE cheesy
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 11:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
Bidam: Since this one dey hard you..go back and read the beatitudes in MATHEW 6:1-4 AND TELL ME WHAT CHRIST IS TELLING YOU THERE cheesy

I hope Goshen will one day realize the truth in paying one's tithe. smiley

he refused to reply my post sef embarassed
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Alwaystrue(f): 11:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
@Bidam,
All questions had been answered already in the link:

https://www.nairaland.com/1456343/tithes-offerings-eternal-principles/8#18451376

You should have realised that constantly repeating such questions shows a closed mind.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 11:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Bidam,
All questions had been answered already in the link:

https://www.nairaland.com/1456343/tithes-offerings-eternal-principles/8#18451376

You should have realised that constantly repeating such questions shows a closed mind.

I have also read briefly thru that thread, i think a word is enough for the wise...maybe we should interceed for goshen and others who think tithing is wrong undecided
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:31am On Oct 08, 2013
Bidam: Since this one dey hard you..go back and read the beatitudes in MATHEW 6:1-4 AND TELL ME WHAT CHRIST IS TELLING YOU THERE cheesy

Bidam, don't worry. You are a good man, with me. We have come a long way together. You are giving me more job and job to do and I will surely find time to fellowship with you again.

Why do I say the above? In reference to the beatitudes. You can't understand any message of Christ because it was 'concealed in shadows'. You need the Spirit of the 'revealed new testament', to understand Christ's teachings. This is making two topics I promised ou I was going to start.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:47am On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

I hope Goshen will one day realize the truth in paying one's tithe. smiley

he refused to reply my post sef embarassed

I do not and have not reached a stage where I can no longer grow in grace and the word of God. However, my labour in the word is what I share. There's no usefulness in having a mind when such mind is closed, not open to renewal and change.

There is, what I found out in Christianity - religious interpretation and traditions of men. These, I have broken away from having laboured in the word. You don't have to take what I teach as truth UNTIL you go back like the Bereans verified Paul's teaching to see if it's true. Do same and also don't attempt to hold on to what you have been taught in ages. I call you to begin to prove all things by rigorous study and hold to what is truth.

I will begin some series of teachings soon and we shall fellowship together. The word of God is heavy and I'm loving it.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 2:56am On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360:

I do not and have not reached a stage where I can no longer grow in grace and the word of God. However, my labour in the word is what I share. There's no usefulness in having a mind when such mind is closed, not open to renewal and change.

There is, what I found out in Christianity - religious interpretation and traditions of men. These, I have broken away from having laboured in the word. You don't have to take what I teach as truth UNTIL you go back like the Bereans verified Paul's teaching to see if it's true. Do same and also don't attempt to hold on to what you have been taught in ages. I call you to begin to prove all things by rigorous study and hold to what is truth.

I will begin some series of teachings soon and we shall fellowship together. The word of God is heavy and I'm loving it.

One advice: 2 Corinthians 3:1-6

Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you? You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

Such confidence we have through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 3:15am On Oct 08, 2013
^ That 'letter that kills' in that verse is not interpretation by what is written, it is talking about the mosaic law that kills or lead to death.

Follow the context and also read other translations. Again, religious quoting of scriptures does no good other than confusion.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 3:54am On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360: ^ That 'letter that kills' in that verse is not interpretation by what is written, it is talking about the mosaic law that kills or lead to death.

Follow the context and also read other translations. Again, religious quoting of scriptures does no good other than confusion.

All I'm asking of you is "during your rigorous study, involve the Author of the Scripture- the Holy Spirit."
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 4:02am On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

All I'm asking of you is "during your rigorous study, involve the Author of the Scripture- the Holy Spirit."

How else do I involve him when he lives in me? I ask him questions and so, we both relate the context and from word meanings, I follow the context and questions asked. Then, I learn from the great teacher. The Holy Spirit have nothing to teach except on the platform of what is written and you have to study what is written, ask questions and he teaches, you learn.

My advice to you, flush all religious teachings and interpretation out of your Christian life and sit yourself down with the Holy Spirit for sometime, you will come out a new and different person.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 4:38am On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360:

How else do I involve him when he lives in me? I ask him questions and so, we both relate the context and from word meanings, I follow the context and questions asked. Then, I learn from the great teacher. The Holy Spirit have nothing to teach except on the platform of what is written and you have to study what is written, ask questions and he teaches, you learn.

My advice to you, flush all religious teachings and interpretation out of your Christian life and sit yourself down with the Holy Spirit for sometime, you will come out a new and different person.

Good, ask Him again about TITHES. God, His Word and the Spirit are One. He cannot lie, neither will He contradict Himself. Please, let me know what you arrive at this time.

Also, thank you for the advice.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 4:58am On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

Good, ask Him again about TITHES. God, His Word and the Spirit are One. He cannot lie, neither will He contradict Himself. Please, let me know what you arrive at this time.

Lemme ask you a question as I'm about to sleep now. Do you think everything written in the bible is for Christian application today?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 5:24am On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360:

Lemme ask you a question as I'm about to sleep now. Do you think everything written in the bible is for Christian application today?

Every commandment of God is to be obeyed, without compromise. God commands/demands/requires/suggests it, then I do it, by His grace.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Alwaystrue(f): 8:25am On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

I have also read briefly thru that thread, i think a word is enough for the wise...maybe we should interceed for goshen and others who think tithing is wrong undecided
Our prayer should be for unbelief to be removed from veiled hearts (more like uncircumcised) as God had to come in the flesh to explain His word yet veiled hearts still don't get it. 2 Cor. 3:14-17.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by MostHigh: 10:51am On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360:

Lemme ask you a question too, is it your place to put aside the traditions and customs of the Most High God. smiley

Daniel 7 clearly states that this is a job for the little horn. grin

We dont see any of the brethren within scripture speaking these blaspemouse words that ye speak.

Speaking against Moses

Proclaiming a better gospel than what is taught on the mount
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 11:39am On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

wetin concern God with money(pastor twisted tithe) is God a trader?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 11:42am On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

Every commandment of God is to be obeyed, without compromise. God commands/demands/requires/suggests it, then I do it, by His grace.
do u obey mal4:4? B honest, at least to urself. Cheers.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 11:53am On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

First, it is very clear you don't even understand the question asked. However, I take it as an answer to the question in your best ability. Since you just said with emphasis on every commandment from of God is what you obey or do by His grace. Let's go further,

Leviticus 15:19-30
Amplified Bible (AMP)

19 And if a woman has a discharge, her [regular] discharge of blood of her body, she shall be in her impurity or separation for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening.

20 And everything that she lies on in her separation shall be unclean; everything also that she sits on shall be unclean.

21 And whoever touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until evening.

22 Whoever touches anything she sat on shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until evening.

23 And if her flow has stained her bed or anything on which she sat, when he touches it, he shall be unclean until evening.

24 And if any man lie with her and her impurity be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and every bed on which he lies shall be unclean.

25 And if a woman has an issue of blood for many days, not during the time of her separation, or if she has a discharge beyond the time of her [regular] impurity, all the days of the issue of her uncleanness she shall be as in the days of her impurity; she shall be unclean.

26 Every bed on which she lies all the days of her discharge shall be as the bed of her impurity, and whatever she sits on shall be unclean, as in her impurity.

27 And whoever touches those things shall be unclean, and shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until evening.

28 But if she is cleansed of her discharge, then she shall wait seven days, and after that she shall be clean.

29 And on the eighth day she shall take two turtledoves or two young pigeons and bring them to the priest at the door of the Tent of Meeting;

30 He shall offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering; and he shall make atonement for her before the Lord for her unclean discharge.

Do you by HIS GRACE obey this commandment from God? And don't tell me its 'ceremonial' law or commandment o because I will further ask you where scripture made distinction for some laws being moral and some being ceremonial.

Leviticus 19:27
Amplified Bible (AMP)

27 You shall not round the corners of the hair of your heads nor trim the corners of your beard [as some idolaters do].

Again, do you BY HIS GRACE obey this commandment?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by akpos4uall(m): 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360:

First, it is very clear you don't even understand the question asked. However, I take it as an answer to the question in your best ability. Since you just said with emphasis on every commandment from of God is what you obey or do by His grace. Let's go further,

Leviticus 15:19-30
Amplified Bible (AMP)

Do you by HIS GRACE obey this commandment from God? And don't tell me its 'ceremonial' law or commandment o because I will further ask you where scripture made distinction for some laws being moral and some being ceremonial.

Leviticus 19:27
Amplified Bible (AMP)

27 You shall not round the corners of the hair of your heads nor trim the corners of your beard [as some idolaters do].

This one tough o. The best I can say about this question/law is that Christ came to simplify these laws which all boils than to love.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 4:05pm On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360:

Bro Goshen, you still have an unanswered question sir,

God is not a man that He should lie and Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever! He said in Lev. 27:30, 32

"A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord"

Are you saying God is a liar? Has His standards changed?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 4:16pm On Oct 08, 2013
christemmbassey: wetin concern God with money(pastor twisted tithe) is God a trader?

christemmbassey: do u obey mal4:4? B honest, at least to urself. Cheers.

I already replied you in the other threads. But remember, God is the same, Yester, Today and Forever. His standard will not change!

akpos4uall:

This one tough o. The best I can say about this question/law is that Christ came to simplify these laws which all boils than to love.

"My yoke is easy and my burden is light" - Jesus
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 4:22pm On Oct 08, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Our prayer should be for unbelief to be removed from veiled hearts (more like uncircumcised) as God had to come in the flesh to explain His word yet veiled hearts still don't get it. 2 Cor. 3:14-17.

Amen!
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 4:30pm On Oct 08, 2013
^ And you acting like you don't have unanswered questions?

Okay, lemme answer you question and I hope you answer mine too.

To your question, God hasn't changed but his covenant changed. God isn't a liar and His word is true as said to different people at different times under different dispensations. Hebrews 1:1-2.

Under the law, God commanded tithe for the children of Israel and this tithe (God commanded tithe) according to the verse you quoted is not FROM MONETARY INCOME but FROM THE LAND, FROM THE SOIL, FROM THE TREE, HERDS AND FLOCKS. This is God's commanded and acceptable tithe.

If tithe WAS ORIGINALY MONEY, why would God tell them to convert money to money AND EVEN EAT IT AS THEIR TITHE in Deuteronomy 14? This is the problem with the law system of Moses time, you can't pick one and leave the rest undone and it's one of the issues Jesus was addressing in Matthew 23:23. I just quoted some mosaic law to you, do you do any of them today? If you don't, why?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 4:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl:

I already replied you in the other threads. But remember, God is the same, Yester, Today and Forever. His standard will not change!

"My yoke is easy and my burden is light" - Jesus
why can't a tithe collector b honest? At least to urself, they ask u straight forward questions u answer, Jesus is d same yesterday, today......, what's all these? If can't answer, say so, haba!

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 4:48pm On Oct 08, 2013
christemmbassey: why can't a tithe collector b honest? At least to urself, they ask u straight forward questions u answer, Jesus is d same yesterday, today......, what's all these? If can't answer, say so, haba!

grin

I never even ask her question finish. Ol boy, I get some dangerous commandments inside mosaic law o. Since she said she obeys EVERY commandment from\of God BY HIS GRACE, I'm waiting for answer to question series 1.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 5:03pm On Oct 08, 2013
Tithe your INCOME! If it is agricultural produce, go ahead. If it is materials, go ahead. You don't necessarily have to convert it to money if money means so much to you. Just pay your tithe.

I challenge you, again, to pay your tithe.

About the Mosaic laws, some of them have been abolished by Christ. Others are still very very active: that includes the 10 commandements and Tithing.

Or do you also have a problem with the 10 commandments?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 5:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360:

grin

I never even ask her question finish. Ol boy, I get some dangerous commandments inside mosaic law o. Since she said she obeys EVERY commandment from\of God BY HIS GRACE, I'm waiting for answer to question series 1.

cheesy
d kan spirit(mamon) wey dey these tithe collectors, na wa o. They r like bush rat, pursue them here, they jump out of another hole, in one breath, they claim, they tithe by Abraham, b4 u shout, 'spoils of war', they quote mal3, bros, these guys know d truth, but, they lack d grace to let go this scam.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 5:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
swtchicgurl: Tithe your INCOME! If it is agricultural produce, go ahead. If it is materials, go ahead. You don't necessarily have to convert it to money if money means so much to you. Just pay your tithe.

I challenge you, again, to pay your tithe.

About the Mosaic laws, some of them have been abolished by Christ. Others are still very very active: that includes the 10 commandements and Tithing.

Or do you also have a problem with the 10 commandments?

I no know say na jokes you come do here, I for no take you serious o.

Sabbath is one of the 10 commandments. Do you keep it? At least, we left with 9 commandments now minus Sabbath. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 7:05pm On Oct 08, 2013
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Yea, yea, the unfortunate major of the chapter. Quite ironic that Jesus was actually exhorting that it should not be a major. However, the majority have associated the whole chapter as talking tithe. In fact, that is the only thing that most are interested in talking in this beautiful chapter.
Again, Jesus told us that Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.'That's just a chapter away BTW. Paul also told us that
1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings.

The words of Jesus are Spirit and Life, all of them. It is unchristian and sacrilege for anyone by whatever name or respect to come tell us that some words of Jesus are not wholesome words, or that some of Jesus' words have passed away, or that we should disdain anything or some things spoken by Jesus before He was killed. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Whatever He approved of before Acts 2, or wherever folks want us to start taking the Bible serious from, He still approves today and forever. Whatever He disapproves of and condemns before Acts 2, He still disapproves of and condemns now and forever. He is the One who was, and is, and is to come. Time is in His hands, and He is not confined to any dispensation or time, as He is the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. He is the Lord of the Sabbath and of the Harvest. He is the One who can forgive sins, our Passover.
Jesus declares woe on the scribes and pharisees, why? Because they were hypocrites. They were majoring on the minor. How were they majoring on the minor? Verse 23 is one way. They were diligent with a minor matter of the law, but they neglected the weightier and major part of the law. The same woe awaits any hypocrite today, who lives to major on minors. The pharisees and scribes paid tithe of anise, cummin and mint. Payment of tithe was done by scribes. Who would have thought that scribes paid tithe. The assumption we are being fed is that only farmers paid tithe, that other occupations did not. Yet the pharisees and scribes paid tithe. A pharisee said he gave tithe of all his income.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
(CEV) I go without eating for two days a week, and I give you one tenth of all I earn."
(Darby) I fast twice in the week, I tithe everything I gain.
(DRB) I fast twice in a week: I give tithes of all that I possess.
(GNB) I fast two days a week, and I give you one tenth of all my income.'
(ISV) I fast twice a week, and I give a tenth of my entire income.'
(LITV) I fast twice on the sabbath; I tithe all things, as many as I get.

The point is that it was not uncommon or unusual for people to give tithes of all things in Jesus' days. God never rejected or rejects tithe of all things. Their father Abraham also gave tithes of all. God did not reject it or say "I want only agric. produce from the holy land".
Mint, anise and cummin are flavouring or seasoning. i think it is anise or so that is also called dill weed. They are not a major harvest, just little gardening. But the scribes and pharisees went the extra mile to even give tithe of these. In other words, they fulfilled the tithe commands to the minutest detail, but neglected the more important commands. The more important or weightier parts of the law are mercy, judgement and faith.
Do many people even believe that? That the weightier matters of the law are, judgment, mercy, and faith? Because many preach about not being under the law, and what they usually refer to are the insignificant parts of the law. This verse goes to show that many of us have our understanding and perspective twisted, and we need Jesus to once again open our understanding that we might understand the scriptures.
Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the Scriptures,
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints.

Come to think of it, Jesus was not having a particular perspective of being under the law in mind. He was talking eternally. What mattered to Him still matter today and forever. Judgement or justice is still justice. There is no real demarcation of this is justice of under the law, and another justice of new testament. The difference is grace. There is no real demarcation of this is mercy of under the law, and another mercy of new testament. blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. It is the same goodness and mercy that is following us that followed them. We have the same spirit of faith, says Paul. It is theologISTS that are making carnal demarcations and telling us that new testament mercy has to be different from old testament mercy, or that new testament tithe has to be different from old testament tithe. And then they end up stating that there should not even be anything like new testament tithes, further confusing themselves. For the normal christian, ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Jesus said these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. That is commendation. He is saying give the tithe, and do not leave judgement, mercy and faith undone. He wants 100/100, perfection. Be ye therefore perfect.
Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
1Jo 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

If any man loves Jesus, he will keep His words.

Mat 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
This is a paraphrase of verse 23. The scribes and pharisees majored on minors. They strained and fussed over irrelevant things. A gnat is a small fly. Compare the size of a small fly to a camel. The hypocrites strained at a gnat, complained and criticised to see a gnat. They would condemn the whole thing because of a gnat. But they swallowed a camel, a much bigger animal. They had no complaints or issues or bickerings. Ever heard the phrase on this forum that tithes is the BIGGEST fraud in human history or something like that? That's what we are talking about. As a matter of fact, i have seen folks here on NL say that thousands of threads should be opened to talk against tithes. But Jesus talked of more important things, judgement, mercy and faith. The apostles had no such time. In fact, there was a place in scriptures where some people wanted them to dedicate themselves to charity works and taking care of neglected widows. They said no, we will give ourselves to prayers and to preaching the Word. Concerning giving, some even wrote that it was not needed to write about. It was like coming to teach graduates basic addition.
1Th 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Why would a person who is giving 100% be admonished to give or to love? The apostles had more important things to say than to dwell on trivialities, and talk and talk circularly for pages about kindergaten stuff. Sinners are perishing daily, and some of them are here on NL, even on the religion section. Folks want to know about God and about His love, about living a victorious christian life, about eternity. But many only show up to talk and talk about tithes, or about how one man somewhere is not showing them love. Meanwhile, they are wining and dining, and laughing and jesting with sin and sinners daily on all the social media available.

Mat 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
Mat 23:26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
This is still relevant to every one in every age. Hypocrisy courts woe from the Lord. There is nothing wrong with making the outside of the cup clean. Of course, the outside of the cup should be clean. But the within, the inside should also be clean. Clean the inside too. In fact, clean the inside first. The inside is MORE important than the outside. God is not saying that the ouside should not be clean, but that the two should be clean. God sees both the outside and the inside. man likes show, we look at and love to see the outside. but God wants the two clean. It is hypocrisy and deception for the outside to be clean and the inside dirty.

Mat 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchers, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
This is still the same train of thought being followed by Christ. The hypocisy. It is not about being under the law or before Jesus died. It is not about old covenant or new covenant, or about pharisee or christian. God hates hypocrisy. God detests double standard and He is not a respecter of persons. If hypocrisy is found in a christian, it will not be excused by Christ. Jesus told the church that they should take time or else, He would remove the candlestick from them(Revelation 2&3). The pharisees were like selpulchres. Sepulchres are graves, coffins. They are fine on the outside. Some coffins are very costly and beautifully carved. Some are decorated and whited(made white), painted white. That was how the pharisees were. The outside was good, white, well painted and carved or sculpted, BEAUTIFUL outward. But their inside was dirty, polluted, sinful and corrupt. They were stinking inside, full of dead men's bones, like a coffin or sepulchre, unclean. God wants us to be pure and beautiful, inside and outside.

Mat 23:28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
it is not wrong to appear righteous to men. God is not advocating that we should appear unrighteous to men. He says that we should let our lights and righteousness SO shine before men. He wants men to see our good works and glorify God. Jesus is here saying that our righteousness should not only be before men, but also before God. God sees the inside, the within, the heart. The scriptures does not say that He does not see the outside. He does, but His emphasis is on the inside. We should not neglect any part. Some people go on the inverse of the pharisee, and make the outward hideous. they claim that they are only serving God and only God knows that they are serving Him. There outward is not beautiful, but they CLAIM that their inward is, that it is between them and God. This is still hypocrisy and deception. Let your inside and your outside be pure. Let your heart and your body be pure. Your body is the temple of God.

Mat 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchers of the righteous,
Mat 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Mat 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
hypocrites are very quick to condemn others. They claim to be able to do better than others. They are always looking out for the fall of others, the blame of the pastor, prophet and other christians. They never seem to see any fault in their own life, or they ready excuse it with some wave of the hand point. Now, it is clear that Jesus was not just talking to a particular sect, but to the whole of Israel. He is not referring to the biological fathers of the pharisees and scribes but to the Israel ancestors, who had persecuted God's people. And then He goes on to reject them. who was He rejecting? pharisees or Israel? Israel. The multitude mentioned in verse 1 represent the Israelites. Inside that multitude, we had people from different sects, but all children of Israel.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Alwaystrue(f): 1:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
@Image123,
thanks for completing the expose. God bless you. Jesus words are truly the way...He is the Word that came in the Flesh, full of grace and truth. May our thoughts, our words and our actions continually reflect Jesus and yield the fruits He desires. Amen.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Makes Rich Men To Steal? / 'Corruption Will Not End In Nigeria Till Jesus Comes' - Prophet Abiara / Atheism Contradicts Newtons First Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.