Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,210 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? (9185 Views)

Thought Provoking Analysis On Non Traditional Religion / Flesh Eater, Demonic Prostitute Exposed In Lagos Crusade(pics). / Smart Phones Are Demonic: A Nairalanders Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by macof(m): 4:15pm On Oct 24, 2013
okeyxyz: Christianity is not the problem(I speak as a christian), rather it is our low self esteem and racism on the part of the world leaders/elites that has reduced us to this level of self hate. If you are deprived a lot in terms of good education, economic empowerment, cultural identity, ownership and pride, then it's only natural that you end up hating yourself and trying to identify more with the white man than with your own attributes. This inferiority complex is what led to the misuse of christianity, besides the misunderstanding of it. The same misunderstanding and misuse of religion you guys are doing here by attacking the shadow(christianity) instead of the substance.

One very typical example: Put a picture of a black girl besides a picture of a white girl, at least 95 percent of black men will say the white girl is more beautiful. Even on occasions where we might agree that a black girls is beautiful, then all here features must be white and only her color is black. What has this got to do with christianty? Nothing. Rather it is our low self esteem has made us hate anything resembling us. Our music artists now feature white girls in their videos and majority of us praise them for making beautiful, "world class" videos, we tell ourselves the lie that it is because we want a global appeal and that is why we feature white girls. Only i.di.ots who don't think(which happens to be about 80 percent of people) believe this line.

I understand that it's nt all christianity's fault, but why do pastors
1. Preach against ancestral practices
2. Advise against Names from members indigenous languages
3. Stag act demons from the person's lineage eg. Demon from the fathers house
4. Preach against sacrifice to the Orisha.

While Nollywood movies gives the impression that
1. Traditional priest are evil
2. Pastors would always defeat traditional priest
3. Whenever u need to bring down some one, A traditional priest is the man for the job

All these stated when christianity came, and these Abrahamic religions are really brainwashing Africans

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by adahib: 11:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
macof:

I understand that it's nt all christianity's fault, but why do pastors
1. Preach against ancestral practices
2. Advise against Names from members indigenous languages
3. Stag act demons from the person's lineage eg. Demon from the fathers house
4. Preach against sacrifice to the Orisha.

While Nollywood movies gives the impression that
1. Traditional priest are evil
2. Pastors would always defeat traditional priest
3. Whenever u need to bring down some one, A traditional priest is the man for the job

All these stated when christianity came, and these Abrahamic religions are really brainwashing Africans

Word....I share similar sentiments. Though I don't think islam is completely devoid of blame as it concerns demonization of african religion but christianity carries a greater part of the blame.

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by thoth: 4:02am On Oct 25, 2013
The irony is in reality the most potent curses and spiritual attacks I have seen have always involved Christian black magic and kabbalistic solomonic elements. When my friend was building his house in his village, anytime he starts his building he gets really sick and his laborers will either get sick or have motorcycle or car accident. It was terrible and it happened several times that we no longer believed it is just coincidence. Now I was born and bred in France, at that time I sincerely don't believe in this sort of things because studying colonial history in school we were taught that Africans believes in some silly non potent charms and that contributed to their lost of most anti-colonial wars.
Anyway that fateful December, I was in Nigeria and he consulted a native doctor who is related to him, immediately we went to the building site and the man asked my friend to dig at a certain location. Many people will not believe this(especially the Christian fanatics) but what was dugged out in two locations was :
1: a bottle with a crucifix inside it and some papers, and something like ash inside.
A piece of cloth(my friends) which was wrapped with a torn page of psalms from the bible.
My friends old picture with a pentagram drawn over it with some brownish ink(maybe blood)
among others.

2; white sand with a small coffin with crucifix tied over and over with a black thread.

Once these two bunched were burnt my friend continued building his house and we never heard any problems. To this day I have not been able to fathom how they managed to get a huge crucifix like that into the bottle.
I am skeptic until then, maybe I am ignorant because of the environment I found myself , maybe I have been dumbed down by the religion I was born into, But my question is how can you relate any of those objects to African Traditional Religion ?
I have witnessed some really demonic events all over Europe and all of them has to do with one or more Christian objects.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by macof(m): 8:42am On Oct 25, 2013
thoth: The irony is in reality the most potent curses and spiritual attacks I have seen have always involved Christian black magic and kabbalistic solomonic elements. When my friend was building his house in his village, anytime he starts his building he gets really sick and his laborers will either get sick or have motorcycle or car accident. It was terrible and it happened several times that we no longer believed it is just coincidence. Now I was born and bred in France, at that time I sincerely don't believe in this sort of things because studying colonial history in school we were taught that Africans believes in some silly non potent charms and that contributed to their lost of most anti-colonial wars.
Anyway that fateful December, I was in Nigeria and he consulted a native doctor who is related to him, immediately we went to the building site and the man asked my friend to dig at a certain location. Many people will not believe this(especially the Christian fanatics) but what was dugged out in two locations was :
1: a bottle with a crucifix inside it and some papers, and something like ash inside.
A piece of cloth(my friends) which was wrapped with a torn page of psalms from the bible.
My friends old picture with a pentagram drawn over it with some brownish ink(maybe blood)
among others.

2; white sand with a small coffin with crucifix tied over and over with a black thread.

Once these two bunched were burnt my friend continued building his house and we never heard any problems. To this day I have not been able to fathom how they managed to get a huge crucifix like that into the bottle.
I am skeptic until then, maybe I am ignorant because of the environment I found myself , maybe I have been dumbed down by the religion I was born into, But my question is how can you relate any of those objects to African Traditional Religion ?
I have witnessed some really demonic events all over Europe and all of them has to do with one or more Christian objects.

your testimony here proves that christianity can be used for evil.

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by macof(m): 8:42am On Oct 25, 2013
thoth: The irony is in reality the most potent curses and spiritual attacks I have seen have always involved Christian black magic and kabbalistic solomonic elements. When my friend was building his house in his village, anytime he starts his building he gets really sick and his laborers will either get sick or have motorcycle or car accident. It was terrible and it happened several times that we no longer believed it is just coincidence. Now I was born and bred in France, at that time I sincerely don't believe in this sort of things because studying colonial history in school we were taught that Africans believes in some silly non potent charms and that contributed to their lost of most anti-colonial wars.
among others.

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
macof:

Bvllshit!
Christianity is evil!

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by adahib: 3:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
among others.

Your story opens up a different but not so new perspective. Believe me, most people know this but are unwilling to accept it. Before long, you'll see folks trying to tie those findings to ATR.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by thoth: 1:30am On Oct 26, 2013
adahib:

Your story opens up a different but not so new perspective. Believe me, most people know this but are unwilling to accept it. Before long, you'll see folks trying to tie those findings to ATR.

Well, i will like to see them try.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:35am On Oct 26, 2013
Thnx be to the Gods my parents didnt convert.

Nice Thread!
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by adahib: 10:52am On Oct 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Thnx be to the Gods my parents didnt convert.

Nice Thread!

Lucky you bro....
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by adahib: 12:02pm On Oct 27, 2013
Mod do I need to "stella oduahlize" or "labaran makulize" you before this makes front page or what? angry

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
adahib: Mod do I need to "stella oduahlize" or "labaran makulize" you before this makes front page or what? angry

no you need to t b joshuaize or christianize it to make fp.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by hunter21(m): 2:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
CHARLOE:
Gbam! U just hit d nail on d head. i just realised, recently, i've been decieved, i've bin told a lie. I've bin brain washed, just like so many of us africans, to hate my culture, religion, history and anything african.
But i just discovered it was a grand plan to conquer and put d africans under perpetual slavery. Like some1 said, let all our public office holders swear by our local gods; sango, esu etc i bet non will and if any does, he'll never steal, cos deep down dey know d african gods are real and deliver swift justice without favour. So they are comfortable with d imported religions; xtianity & islam.
I'll @ dis jncture entreat all africans to discover ourselves, read, reason, think, use ur heads, stop been afraid of whatever dey (xtianity & islam) tells u just to scare u from thinking deeply, cos dey know when u do, u'll discover d truth. Personally, right now in my life, am in a state of discovery, still studying and seeking d truth. I still pray in d name of jesus and read d bible just 4 d sake of my family and pple around me, cos dey cant deal with d truth. But within me i know d truth
Same here.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by mazaje(m): 2:36pm On Oct 27, 2013
Christianity and islam by definition are HATEFUL religions, there is NOTHING about love in any of them regardless of how they keep repeating that their religion is love. . .Their religion is love ONLY when you believe in it, as long as you do not believe in it then you deserve their scorn and condemnation. . .There is no difference between christianity and islam when it comes to hate, they are both the same, christianity lies to it self by telling its adherent that they are in the light while others are in darkness, it makes its members feel superior to others while demonizing the others at the same time. . .Islam does the same. . .Claims that those that adhere to it are special and were specially made so by the creator of the universe himself. . .Everything about christianity and islam is geared towards the hate of the other. . .Do not be yoked with the unbeliever. . .What has light got to do with darkness. . .He that does not believe in Jesus is condemned already and on and on. . .Islam begins by saying that Allah dislikes the unbelievers and on and on. . .These religions are all about hating and condemnation of other religions, that is why our pastors and the foooooooooools in Nolly wood go about embarrassing them selves and showing the whole world that they deserved to be looked at as animals. . .The black man is a complete fooooool. Because he is the only person that has been deceived to hate himself of all the races on earth . . .

5 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by mazaje(m): 2:43pm On Oct 27, 2013
okeyxyz: Christianity is not the problem(I speak as a christian), rather it is our low self esteem and racism on the part of the world leaders/elites that has reduced us to this level of self hate.

Christianity is the problem because it ENCOURAGES the low self esteem and racism you are talking about. ..Read the bible the stupid ancient jews went about lying and promoting their stupid race by claiming they are gods chosen people. . .Which race is not their god's chosen people?. . .The bible begins by saying that he that does not believe in the lies of the bible and its stories is condemned already. . .Do not yolk with unbelievers, christains are the light of the world while others are in darkness. . .All these things are geared towards reducing the self esteem of others and promoting the self worth of the christian at the same time over increase his/her sense of self importance. . .As a christian do you believe that an ifa worshiper is the light of the world?. . .Is an ifa worshiper not in the dark. . .Is ifa power not powerless according to you mythical beliefs?. . .What then are you talking about when all you do in your church is promote the mythologies of the jews and ancient romans while castigating and demonizing your own?. . .

2 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by MamiWata: 5:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
mazaje: Christianity and islam by definition are HATEFUL religions, there is NOTHING about love in any of them regardless of how they keep repeating that their religion is love. . .Their religion is love ONLY when you believe in it, as long as you do not believe in it then you deserve their scorn and condemnation. . .There is no difference between christianity and islam when it comes to hate, they are both the same, christianity lies to it self by telling its adherent that they are in the light while others are in darkness, it makes its members feel superior to others while demonizing the others at the same time. . .Islam does the same. . .Claims that those that adhere to it are special and were specially made so by the creator of the universe himself. . .Everything about christianity and islam is geared towards the hate of the other. . .Do not be yoked with the unbeliever. . .What has light got to do with darkness. . .He that does not believe in Jesus is condemned already and on and on. . .Islam begins by saying that Allah dislikes the unbelievers and on and on. . .These religions are all about hating and condemnation of other religions, that is why our pastors and the foooooooooools in Nolly wood go about embarrassing them selves and showing the whole world that they deserved to be looked at as animals. . .The black man is a complete fooooool. Because he is the only person that has been deceived to hate himself of all the races on earth . . .

Absolutely. I think this is why Christianity and Islam are so well suited to Arabs and Europeans. Everything they are requires them to hate those who remind them of their African ancestors who they have painted as the "cultural other." Our spiritualities are abhorrent to them because we are abhorrent to them. We are what they had to stop being to become what they are.

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by mazaje(m): 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
MamiWata:

Absolutely. I think this is why Christianity and Islam are so well suited to Arabs and Europeans. Everything they are requires them to hate those who remind them of their African ancestors who they have painted as the "cultural other." Our spiritualities are abhorrent to them because we are abhorrent to them. We are what they had to stop being to become what they are.

I have lived in Europe for a very long time and I have also studied their cultural evolution. . .If there is a heaven the white man will not want the black man to go there and share that heaven with him simple. . .I truly abhor nonsense the Nigerian home movies are doing, they keep demonizing their traditions and painting themselves as evil savages. . Pls how will the white man respect you when you don't like and respect your own traditions but keep demonizing it and promoting the mythologies and lies of the white man?. . .Its really pathetic. . .

4 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2013
pathetic. .
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by MamiWata: 10:03pm On Oct 27, 2013
mazaje:

I have lived in Europe for a very long time and I have also studied their cultural evolution. . .If there is a heaven the white man will not want the black man to go there and share that heaven with him simple. . .I truly abhor nonsense the Nigerian home movies are doing, they keep demonizing their traditions and painting themselves as evil savages. . Pls how will the white man respect you when you don't like and respect your own traditions but keep demonizing it and promoting the mythologies and lies of the white man?. . .Its really pathetic. . .

I honestly couldn't care less about how white people see me but when my own cousins are disrespecting our traditions that angers me intensely.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by Tiphareth(m): 12:31am On Oct 28, 2013
macof:

Let us remember here that: ''Power is Neutral'' and can be used for both evil and good. There is no evil or good power. Whether the person invoking such power or 'prayer' is a christian, muslim, ATR, etc. it does not matter. Hence, the Bible, Quran, Bhagavad Gita, Book of Shadows, Upanisad, etc can be used to do evil or good depending on the doer's intension.
Tiphareth

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by emotional(m): 4:28pm On Oct 28, 2013
[quote author=Tiphareth]

Let us remember here that: ''Power is Neutral'' and can be used for both evil and good. There is no evil or good power. Whether the person invoking such power or 'prayer' is a christian, muslim, ATR, etc. it does not matter. Hence, the Bible, Quran, Bhagavad Gita, Book of Shadows, Upanisad, etc can be used to do evil or good depending on the doer's intension.
Tiphareth[/quote

You said it all. My 1000 like.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:14pm On Oct 28, 2013
MamiWata:

I honestly couldn't care less about how white people see me but when my own cousins are disrespecting our traditions that angers me intensely.

Awo ile eni ki n kun ni loju.......i hope you understand that. Even Olowo disrespect Orunmila because they both wore crown......nothing new but Orunmila showed Olowo what it takes to be older than him. Olowo and his other brothers appealed. This is what brought about Ikin.

It high time you paint your tradition and spirituality as classic. You got to wash away inferior plasters on it.....light the candle bro and make it shine.

I think lot of people are making progress. I was fortunate to sit among 'Ijo Orunmila' in lagos. Few hours I spent there was educative and expose me a little to Ifa. This also inspired me return to my base and consult local priest. Have always wish to congregate with awo here but it seem to be only for initiated folks....despite, there is this priest that give me all chance to troll (lol) and still learn one or two things.

I think it time we reveal the real colour of our tradition. Most dont know anything about it except the lies they were told in church, mosque, nollywood and hearsay. People need to know what is what.....i think by then there wont be bad words on your tradition again.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Awo ile eni ki n kun ni loju.......i hope you understand that. Even Olowo disrespect Orunmila because they both wore crown......nothing new but Orunmila showed Olowo what it takes to be older than him. Olowo and his other brothers appealed. This is what brought about Ikin.

It high time you paint your tradition and spirituality as classic. You got to wash away inferior plasters on it.....light the candle bro and make it shine.

I think lot of people are making progress. I was fortunate to sit among 'Ijo Orunmila' in lagos. Few hours I spent there was educative and expose me a little to Ifa. This also inspired me return to my base and consult local priest. Have always wish to congregate with awo here but it seem to be only for initiated folks....despite, there is this priest that give me all chance to troll (lol) and still learn one or two things.

I think it time we reveal the real colour of our tradition. Most dont know anything about it except the lies they were told in church, mosque, nollywood and hearsay. People need to know what is what.....i think by then there wont be bad words on your tradition again.

go and sleep jo

Yoruba ninja

abami eda

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:40pm On Oct 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

go and sleep jo

Yoruba ninja

abami eda

Hail my God Anikulapo.... Fela your dick live on.

Night
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by macof(m): 5:39pm On Oct 29, 2013
Tiphareth:

Tiphareth

Christians and Muslims don't share your view.
To them everything ATR is evil or impotent while Their religion is all powerful and holy
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by thoth: 1:24am On Oct 30, 2013
macof:

Christians and Muslims don't share your view.
To them everything ATR is evil or impotent while Their religion is all powerful and holy
exactly, what pains me is the reasons they give for that. after hearing what they have to say it becomes apparent that you will be arguing with a very stvpid fellow.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by Mudley313: 8:31am On Oct 30, 2013
Has our African Traditional Religion ever done anything as demonicallly close to this?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by macof(m): 8:34am On Oct 30, 2013
You can imagine the slander against ATR
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by Mudley313: 8:48am On Oct 30, 2013
and before any christian apologist comes in to try n make excuses for the actions of their fellow christians (like the muslims do for terrorist), as seen in the pics above, that its not the religion but people misrepresenting it, here are 2 quotes from your holy book (the word of god) sanctioning such despicable acts

Hosea 13:16
King James Version (KJV)
16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Psalm 137:8-9
King James Version (KJV)
8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.

9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 30, 2013
@OP
Mental slavery. it has caged the minds of Africans for hundreds of years now.
when the extraterrestrials(anunnaki) came to earth, they were all over earth in those days (Genesis 6:1-4)
the first mission of the Vatican sponsored evangelism in Africa was to get rid of any traceable evidence of extraterrestrials which were all over Africa before the coming of the missionaries. visibility studies has shown that those oracles/images of gods that were wiped away by the missionaries are actually caved images of extraterrestrial who visited Africa in the remote past and were being worshiped as gods by the primitive ancestors then. the bible was introduced to our ancestors and somehow they were made to believe that what they have been worshiping were demons and the biblical character is god with a capital G.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:58pm On Oct 30, 2013
Dr. Joe:
@OP
when the extraterrestrials(anunnaki) came to earth, they were all over earth in those days (Genesis 6:1-4)
the first mission of the Vatican sponsored evangelism in Africa was to get rid of any traceable evidence of extraterrestrials which were all over Africa before the coming of the missionaries. visibility studies has shown that those oracles/images of gods that were wiped away by the missionaries are actually caved images of extraterrestrial who visited Africa in the remote past and were being worshiped as gods by the primitive ancestors then. the bible was introduced to our ancestors and somehow they were made to believe that what they have been worshiping were demons and the biblical character is god with a capital G.

wetin be this one
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by mazaje(m): 1:28pm On Oct 30, 2013
Dr. Joe:
@OP

Another confused african. . .

PAGAN 9JA:

wetin be this one

I tire oh. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let's Identify The Ways Satan Fight Christian Faith And Profer Solutions / Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? / Bible Babble - Contradictions In The Holy Bible

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.