Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:38 AM

Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? (9121 Views)

Thought Provoking Analysis On Non Traditional Religion / Flesh Eater, Demonic Prostitute Exposed In Lagos Crusade(pics). / Smart Phones Are Demonic: A Nairalanders Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by Tiphareth(m): 10:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
alnaijiri:

I'm not making a case of the superiority of Arabs, no! I'm making a case for the Islamic civilisation. Many of the foremost scientists in the early Islamic Nation were non-Arabs, but the key is that those people were able to make these innovations only after conversion to Islam and more importantly, after the establishment of fair legal systems and harmonious societies established by the Islamic government in their respective locales.

When the Xian Europeans burned books in the Middle Ages, the libraries of Islamic Baghdad were the pinnacle of human knowledge and scholarship.

You have to realise that the Arabs were a backward, tribal nomadic society prior to Islam, and of course they could not have come up with civlisation to rival those of Persia, India or Egypt. But after the establishment of the Islamic Nation, ancient Greek and Persian ideas were quickly synthesised into Islamic scholarship. Far more than just technical innovations, Islam allowed for great legal innovations that resulted in the most equitable and harmonious society of its size mankind has ever witnessed, far outdoing its predecessors the Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, or the Romans (the latter three were all known to be extremely cruel and had very rigid unequal societies).

BTW, those Asian economic powers you mentioned are NOT pagan in the same sense as African paganism. Confucianism (a non-superstitious religion/system of morality) is deeply rooted there, and promotes a society of loyal relationships as well as hard work. It does not believe in divine intervention nearly as much as African religions, so do not equate the two.

Even so, Asian societies are harshly unequal, cruel, and unjust. They could do much better with the morality of Islam. But I'm African, and I'd like to focus my energy on the propagation of Islam in Africa.

......When the Xian Europeans burned books in the Middle Ages, the libraries of Islamic Baghdad were the pinnacle of human knowledge and scholarship....

Did you mean the Library of Alexandria burnt in 624 ?

Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by MamiWata: 1:05am On Nov 04, 2013
beejaay: i live here in naija. U wanna give me one??wil surely look up to it

Unfortunately the only Nigerians I know are the ones met in Benin and the U.S. I've spent most of my life in the U.S. I lived in Benin for maybe three years altogether. However there were so many traditional people there. Is it really so hard to find practitioners in Nigeria? Even the villages?
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by alnaijiri(m): 1:29am On Nov 04, 2013
Tiphareth: Did you mean the Library of Alexandria burnt in 624 ?

Nope, the one in Baghdad that was destroyed in the Mongol Invasion of Iraq.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by beejaay: 7:17am On Nov 04, 2013
MamiWata:

Unfortunately the only Nigerians I know are the ones met in Benin and the U.S. I've spent most of my life in the U.S. I lived in Benin for maybe three years altogether. However there were so many traditional people there. Is it really so hard to find practitioners in Nigeria? Even the villages?
nigeria case is realy pathetic i tell ya
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by MamiWata: 12:07pm On Nov 04, 2013
beejaay: nigeria case is realy pathetic i tell ya

In that case keep in mind that there are many people who believe vodun and orisha are really the same spirituality. So if you are Yoruba and agree you are invited to look one to three houses over as Togo and Benin have many traditional people.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by thoth: 1:17pm On Nov 04, 2013
So from discussing Traditional Religion to Mahmood Almajiri Bin Khomeini trying to convert us to Islam and now to MamiWata either trying to initiate Beejay or find him a Water Spirit Wife.

Every thread on nairaland is a wonder on its own.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by igbo2011(m): 6:02am On Sep 03, 2015
Religion is the opium for the masses...
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by CHARLOE(m): 10:44am On Dec 23, 2015
adahib:

I couldn't agree more. we as a people have lost our identity. To please the white man, we despise our very existence, we hate ourselves to love the whiteman. Trampling on our gods to worship the white god. We as a race have lost our identity because we can only gain the white man's salvation by embracing his god.
Couldn't have put it better, @ bold, so succinct! There're some passages in d bible, deuteronomy i think, that talks about d children of israel been sold as slaves in ships across d ocean, in bonds of iron around their neck and losing their identity. Some say those verses refer to d blackman, who can throw more light on this
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by cbravo2: 4:19pm On Apr 20, 2017
EXISTENCE OF PHILOSOPHY IN TRADITIONAL AFRICA:A HERMENEUTICAL APPROACH
http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/philosophy/existence-of-philosophy-in-traditional-africa/
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by sharpwriter(m): 11:26am On Oct 20, 2021
thoth:
The irony is in reality the most potent curses and spiritual attacks I have seen have always involved Christian black magic and kabbalistic solomonic elements. When my friend was building his house in his village, anytime he starts his building he gets really sick and his laborers will either get sick or have motorcycle or car accident. It was terrible and it happened several times that we no longer believed it is just coincidence. Now I was born and bred in France, at that time I sincerely don't believe in this sort of things because studying colonial history in school we were taught that Africans believes in some silly non potent charms and that contributed to their lost of most anti-colonial wars.
Anyway that fateful December, I was in Nigeria and he consulted a native doctor who is related to him, immediately we went to the building site and the man asked my friend to dig at a certain location. Many people will not believe this(especially the Christian fanatics) but what was dugged out in two locations was :
1: a bottle with a crucifix inside it and some papers, and something like ash inside.
A piece of cloth(my friends) which was wrapped with a torn page of psalms from the bible.
My friends old picture with a pentagram drawn over it with some brownish ink(maybe blood)
among others.

2; white sand with a small coffin with crucifix tied over and over with a black thread.

Once these two bunched were burnt my friend continued building his house and we never heard any problems. To this day I have not been able to fathom how they managed to get a huge crucifix like that into the bottle.
I am skeptic until then, maybe I am ignorant because of the environment I found myself , maybe I have been dumbed down by the religion I was born into, But my question is how can you relate any of those objects to African Traditional Religion ?
I have witnessed some really demonic events all over Europe and all of them has to do with one or more Christian objects.
God of mercy..... Na wa o.... Now my question is who are those with these secrets. I know something like this can be practiced in the celestial churches (I'm not demonizing them).

I have always had the hunch that there are more secrets in Christian practice than the populace and general worshippers know about (maybe I'm just thinking wild). grin

I mean not many Christians can harness and wield powers like this, they only believe in the use of a name (don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for the practice of evil).

I know things like the above are kabbalistic in nature or at least, its use requires the presence of some sort of learned prophet who understands the system.

Like other religions and our African Traditional Religion, it seems it is only the initiates that are given access to the core secrets of each religion.

Though we don't know of such in the Christian faith, what people use is Jesus name, but then, for deep issues and problems, it is then pastors, prophets begin to dish out special psalms, combination of psalms or other portion of the Bible with materials such as sand, olive oil, water, etc.

And these things are for those with the knowledge, it doesn't make them evil unless the purpose of use is to do evil.

I noticed from the movies also that apart from the general mainstream way of exorcism in the Christian faith by simply casting out devils in Jesus name, the Roman Catholic church have books on exorcism where directions and words written in Latin are used for that purpose.

My question is that, where do those books come from? Who opened their understanding (some of our prophets) that those books can be used and that it works? Why are those instructions on how to overcome problems not known by many practisers of the religion?

If you have other insights, I would be happy to know and learn. The only answer I have for now is that it is from the kabbalah and the Jewish masters /rabbi who knows how to wield them and kept the secrets and pass it down to other initiates.

But how did they come by these secrets? Was it from God? And even at that many worshippers are still suffering from one thing or the other while nobody with these secrets really cares.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? by sharpwriter(m): 12:19pm On Oct 20, 2021
PAGAN9JA:
Thnx be to the Gods my parents didnt convert.

Nice Thread!
Boss, are you Yoruba? If yes, I get somethings I wan ask you. I don PM you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Bible Character Would You Have Being In Jesus' Days ? / Must Every Pastor Gel Their Hair In Chris Embassy? / Entering A Terrible Convenant With Satan By Singing Dorobucci

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.