Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. (988 Views)

Buhari Holds Presidential Media Chat Wednesday / Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat / Presidential Media Chat On 18th November 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Umartins1(m): 11:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Should you miss any, Martins brings you a summarissed details of the presidential media chat.

[b]
1. Journalists are Gloria Ume-Ezeoke of Channels, Nosa Igiebor, Editor-in-ChiefTell Magazine, Sola Oshikeye General Editor of the Sun, Senami Ohiomokhars of AIT and Shehu Dauda

2. Mr President started by referencing the killings of the college students in Yobe this morning in response to the ?? on how hot his seat is.

3. Second question is on the low key celebrations for the 53rd anniversary. Mr President says celebrations will happen next year.

4. Mr President - "Security has improved in the country, Maiduguri held the Durbar festival for the first time in four years this year."

5. Mr President - "the standard of living for Nigerians compared to before has improved."

6. Mr President - "Education is critical to development. I came from a poor family and without education, I would not be here today."

7. Mr President - "Within the three years I have been in power I have ensured that every state has one federal university".

8. GEJ - "The standard of living has improved. Before PDP came into power, there were no mobile phones. Now my mother has a phone"

9. Mr President - "there will always be crisis in developing countries. ASUU is very unfortunate."

10. Mr President - "We took an inventory of universities by ourselves, ASUU did not ask us to do that. We want to make things better."

11. Mr President - "The allowances ASUU is asking for should normally be paid from their internally generated revenue."

12. Mr President - "autonomy with responsibility is a recipe for crisis. If the universities want to be autonomous they should totally be so".

13. "ASUU should not capitalize on the infrastructure argument. We were not forced to take inventory, but we did".

14. GEJ - "Even with the floods of December 2012, you will agree with me that the commitment of government is producing results."

15. "ASUU are our brothers and sisters. They should look at the commitment and sincerity of government"

16. GEJ "We cannot close all the other arms of government to direct our earnings to solve ASUU's problems. I plead with them to return to class"

17. GEJ - "we need to start looking at our labour laws. Why will a state university lecturer join federal universities to go on strike?"

18. Question on the true state of the Nigerian economy.

19. Mr President - "there must be parameters for saying the economy is bankrupt. People are playing politics with these issues."

20. Mr President - "if the FG was unable to pay salaries when it was supposed to; does it means it is broke?"

21. Mr President - "politicians must put their country first, regardless of their political affiliation. The country must come first."

22. Question on a different way of disbursing state funds every month instead of all the commissioners of finance trooping to Abuja.

23. Question on the country still battling to secure her oil from thieves and vandals.

24. GEJ - "it is not only Nigeria, it didn't start today. If the governments then clamped down on it we wouldn't be here now"

25. GEJ- "the network of pipes across the Niger Delta makes it a challenge to protect that's why oil companies are moving their assets offshore"

26. GEJ -"the internal and external influence on oil theft makes it hard to combat but I promise Nigerians we are working on it."

27. GEJ -"not everything is advertised. Arrests have been made on oil theft. It is not done by small people."

28. GEJ -"this is why we talk to our friends, heads of other governments to check their refineries, not to receive stolen crude"

29. Question on if Mr President is contesting the elections in 2015.

30. GEJ -"Electoral law gives a timeframe for declarations and campaigning for positions."

31. GEJ - "Anything done early will cause troubles, it is clandestine". Declaring my intentions early will destabilise the system."

32. Panel said that Mr President's silence on the matter leaves room for people to foment trouble.

33. GEJ - "I did not sign any gentleman's agreement saying I will not contest a second term".

34. GEJ -"I am unaware of any billboards saying I am running for President. I asked them to remove them, but I will ask my security"

35. Question on why Mr President sacked the nine ministers, if it was a political move or not.

36. GEJ - government is like a football team. Sacking the 9 ministers has "nothing to do with G7 governors"

37. GEJ - "people are shuffled in a football team, my sacking people to bring in new people should not be an issue".

38. GEJ -"From 1999 that Obj came, I worked with Yar'adua, has there been any time we've not changed ministers, why should Jonathan's be issue?"

39. GEJ - "We are building institutions, not individuals. There is no way we can leave a gap with service chiefs in the Ministry of Defence"

40. GEJ - "Those who handle Defence issues are the service chiefs not a civilian who handles administrative duties"
[/b]
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Umartins1(m): 11:40pm On Sep 29, 2013
[b]
41. GEJ - "People talk out of ignorance. People who handle security are the security chiefs. I can do away with Minister of Defence"

42. GEJ "Nigeria is a very big country but we are trying our best. No country is safe, criminals are working all over."

43. GEJ - "You will observe that within Abuja there has been no cases of bomb blasts again,I'm am not God and I cannot say it will not happen"

44. GEJ - "I have asked the relevant actors to do what they should, I cannot say more than that. Security issues cannot be advertised."

45. Question on the incident in Gudu district one week and half ago, asking the President to brief the nation on the killings.

46. GEJ -"If I tell you; you will start comparing what I say with what the SSS said. The SSS have told you, people have confessed"

47. GEJ - In every confrontation there will be innocent people who might be caught in the gun fire"

48. GEJ - "there have been a lot of betrayals as far as Boko Haram is concerned"

49. GEJ-"In the North some soldiers have been court martialed for leaking information even some senators are being prosecuted for links with BH"

50. Question on purported selective privatisation of the power sector.

51. GEJ - "changes everywhere in the world are resisted. The privatisation happened a while ago, we are just seeing its consummation"

52. Question on the projections made for wattage promised Nigerians.

53. GEJ - "Megawatts is not the issue. If you generate & you don't have the capacity to transmit. So what?"

54. GEJ - "Our transmission infrastructure is weak, we are focusing on that now. Once that is sorted, we will be fine."

55. GEJ - "Question on why Nigeria isn't exploring solar or other sources of electricity

56. Question on the cost of governance and the duplicity of appointments.

57. "We are doing very well in reducing cost of running government" - GEJ

58. GEJ - "The cost of governance in Nigeria is low, I travel with the least number of people."

59. GEJ - "The people I travel with are much less than the Presidents of other countries"

60. GEJ - "Government didnt sponsor businessmen that went to UN with me. Even in Africa Nigeria doesn't have the largest entourage"

61. GEJ - "the aides are not the issue, it is the parastatals that have people doing the same thing. If we try to sack, labour will protest"

62. GEJ - "Social media people always publish lies about the number of people I travel with"

63. Question on corruption and how other countries see us.

64. GEJ - "Perception is different from reality but perception is important."

65. GEJ - "foreign businessmen were asked issues they have with doing business in Nigeria and corruption was 3rd or 4th on their list".

66. GEJ - "People take common stealing as corruption. Someone who steals is a thief, it is not corruption"

67. GEJ - "what we are trying to do is to reduce the options for people to be corrupt, make sure there is no free money to be stolen"

68. GEJ - "It is better for 10 criminals to go free than for one innocent person to be punished unjustly"

69. GEJ - "Corruption is high but we see corruption in burials, wedding ceremonies, etc. The perception is high, not the incident itself."

70. Question on the fight against corruption looking like it is skewed against the poor.

71. GEJ - "we must allow the judiciary be independent, there cannot be any presidential influence on them".

72. Question on Ombatse cult and ethnic rivalry in Plateau, etc.

73. GEJ - "There are issues all over the countries; BH is different because of the terrorist dimension, suicide bombing, etc."

74. GEJ - "I'm from the Niger Delta, when we call the leaders of the crisis they answer. BH, no one shows up. That is the problem."

75. Question on if the campaigns for elections at this time are illegal, why Asari Dokubo's comments are being ignored

76. GEJ - " I cannot comment on what someone else has said or responded to. I can say that starting campaigns early is wrong"

77. GEJ - "When government is doing well it is suppressed but any negative things are blown up"

78. GEJ - "Media people you should condemn others who start to declare their campaigns early."

79. Question on Abu Shekau being dead or alive.

80. GEJ - "I, as the President, don't know him and don't know if he is dead or alive; you journalists will know more than us."
[/b]
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Umartins1(m): 11:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
[b]
81. GEJ - "The Federal Executive Council is contract awarding council."

82. GEJ - "I sympathise with the Minister of Petroleum. Everybody's eyes are on the petroleum sector"

83. GEJ - "things are happening in the oil sector but we say things that are not happening"

84. GEJ-"Once Tai Solarin raised alarm. When asked where he heard it he said from a molue and press carried it. Some of these stories are molue"

85. Question on the PIB and how Mr President plans to honour our heroes (especially the creator of the national flag).

86. GEJ - "I want to congratulate every Nigerian on the 53rd anniversary. Nigerians are very appreciative".

87. GEJ - "we honoured 50 people when the country turned 50, and we plan to do this again for the centenary celebrations".

88. GEJ - "my Minister of Info is watching and will cater to the flag creator but I also call well meaning Nigerians to assist him"
[/b]

please like https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=553427081361009&refid=5
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Beetwo(m): 11:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
see wetin nepa don make me missed now. God dey.
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
The response aint satisfactory
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by israel007: 12:17am On Sep 30, 2013
He's cool
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by manmade(m): 2:54am On Sep 30, 2013
Perfect
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by seunfly: 6:13am On Sep 30, 2013
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Ismahill(m): 6:36am On Sep 30, 2013
Nyc one.bt in d area of BH leader dead or alive.y would u say u dn knw shekau.when he hasn't killed any of his family
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by TRILLIONIAR: 6:57am On Sep 30, 2013
so jornalist knws better than you on BH leader? Mumu president
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by gbadexy(m): 7:12am On Sep 30, 2013
You can't help but like him when you listen to him talk.
He really is simple and humble but he isn't firm and people capitalize on his weakness to perpetrate corruption.
Whether he too is corrupt or not is of little significant because all our previous leaders too helped themselves too when in office, but the main issue is his mr nice guy attitude not wanting to offend.
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Mcponpin(m): 7:18am On Sep 30, 2013
Goodmorning y'all. Please read and comment on this little piece. http://mo6tim./2013/09/30/the-presidents-chat-interview-and-my-opinion/
Re: Summary Of The Presidential Media Chat. by Sageez(m): 10:03am On Sep 30, 2013
He is so rite abt point 17

(1) (Reply)

PLANE CRASH: Airline Conveyin Corpse & Family of ex-gov AGAGU~Obasanjo's Son / Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt / We Have Enough Grounds To Impeach Jonathan – APC Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.